Author Topic: Dressen appreciation  (Read 2758 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Dressen appreciation
« on: September 09, 2022, 12:55:10 AM »
So apparently there was no thread for him here....and I've been on a Dressen kick lately.

He was one of my faves back in the 80's, even though I had not seen any footage, just from looking at pics in the mags....and he's still ripping. Comes off like a such humble guy, stoked on skating like a little kid still. in these times where social media makes a lot of guys look like fools, Dressen remains inspiring as fuck.

so I'll start this off whith his Epiclyd Later'd, I probably watched it 3 to 4 times already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq9i51UM3rY

love this too....Wish I had seen one of these demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VeLl9Q1Nig
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 01:57:59 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

livin on a speyer

Re: Dressen appreciation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 01:47:34 AM »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 06:02:12 AM »
nice! I'd never seen that one

another one: his stoke for skating really comes through in this IMO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGpspETBow

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -13
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 06:38:42 AM »
Quote from: EdLawndale on October 13, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
You just became my favorite Slap poster

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 51
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7uA8082Z0A

Dressen rules

I loved this part. Still does. As a kid me and my friends used to say: I am Eric Dressen I ride for Dogtown, Independent trucks and Nicotine wheels. The part was so different and no music - many basic tricks done really well in the dark and that ender where he says he sponsors. Thanks for posting and I appreciate this thread.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 02:11:39 AM »
yup 411 part rocks! In his Epicly Laterd he says around that time he used to skate at night a lot to avoid the sun....Which seems understandable considering how fair-skinned he is! Living in California and being blond gotta be a bitch haha.....

It's so crazy to think Dressen was pro in the Skateboarder Mag/70's skatepark days and still on it in the 411 era. Maybe Cab would be the only other one with a career that long? But his insta bums me out these days....way too much righteous christian bullshit....Whereas anything Dressen remains inspiring to me.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 12:18:52 AM »
somehow I'd missed this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFG_XyN8FK4

more evidence of him being a rad human being and not just a rad skater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wLHkWDc7OA

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 04:51:51 AM »
instagram photo downloader chrome

Met him at a demo. He walked past when a few friends and I were having a smoke, he stopped and had a chat for about 5mins with us. Talked about skating, tattoos etc. Such a genuine nice guy couldn’t say a bad word about him. He walked past again on him way back to the demo and I had to ask for a photo. Wouldn’t normally do this but after the chat just wanted a memory. It’s not very often we have pro’s let alone skate royalty come to Perth Western Australia. Felt like a kook asking but he was happy to do it. Even took the time to dm me on my Insta story that night and said it was nice to meet you.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 264
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
seen this bruh skate live in 1990 or 1991 and had no idea what I was about to witness. Dude slays on a board.
skated fast as hell, did lines at our park that none of us ever thought of
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 12:38:11 PM »
First pro I ever met on a family trip to Cali.  He was such a nice guy.  Probably watched his speed freaks part well over 100x.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 02:19:42 PM »
nice! I'd never seen that one

another one: his stoke for skating really comes through in this IMO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGpspETBow

Love me some Eric Dressen. He's a human cannonball. They should rerelease these trucks <3

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 12:25:59 AM »
instagram photo downloader chrome

Met him at a demo. He walked past when a few friends and I were having a smoke, he stopped and had a chat for about 5mins with us. Talked about skating, tattoos etc. Such a genuine nice guy couldn’t say a bad word about him. He walked past again on him way back to the demo and I had to ask for a photo. Wouldn’t normally do this but after the chat just wanted a memory. It’s not very often we have pro’s let alone skate royalty come to Perth Western Australia. Felt like a kook asking but he was happy to do it. Even took the time to dm me on my Insta story that night and said it was nice to meet you.

dope pic!
BTW to all the dudes who saw him in person, I hate you....haha I'm just jealous.

->funeral Tuxedo: Human canonball is the perfect description!!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 12:28:19 AM »
also....just stumbled upon this!  Guerrero Gonzales Dressen is a hard to beat combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25OnEtLamo

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 05:11:29 AM »
I woulda watched Savannah Slamma a thousand times as a kid. Felt like the closest you could get to actually seeing how these guys skated. 

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 10:10:53 AM »
fuckin love a nice salad grind

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 06:48:44 AM »
....Foy did a crazy salad in that German vacation vid!

also, just stumbled upon this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIl3nVHTCE

that board looks so sick...and it's on sale on the santa cruz euro website, so I'm actually thinking about getting one for my wall and one to ride!

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 12:30:00 AM »

My first pro deck was a Dressen celtic rose deck, was grey stained with gold and blue graphics, never have been able to find one. But I have these, left to right, OG, 30 fucking years reissue (back when NHS still screened decks) and this years model.

This is what my first deck looked like. Was offered one for like 1000 euro a few years ago but fuck that.             

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 08:34:01 AM »

My first pro deck was a Dressen celtic rose deck, was grey stained with gold and blue graphics, never have been able to find one. But I have these, left to right, OG, 30 fucking years reissue (back when NHS still screened decks) and this years model.

This is what my first deck looked like. Was offered one for like 1000 euro a few years ago but fuck that.             

nice collection mate! 1000 euros definitely means fuck it....The only old deck I kept from that time is a Miller Schmitt Styx. But Dressen just seems so much more relatable to me now than Chris Miller.

anyways I just pulled the trigger on that Dressen Seeker deck, wanted to buy 2 but there was only one left...I'm gonna hunt another one down, I really want one to ride too!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:32:10 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 09:34:25 AM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 09:37:23 AM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 09:40:03 AM »

From a 70s pool grom to a 80s street pioneer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:47:42 AM by Frank and Fred »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »

My favorite board in the late 80s.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 01:43:17 AM »
man thanks for posting that!! That interview is actually what got me stoked on Dressen in the first place...and I still have that issue, Robert Williams cover   :P   the crail tap double page used to be pinned on my wall as a kid ha!

Also I had never seen that 96 Thrasher with the 70's cover, very dope they did that.

Finally : very dope pic on the quarterpipe! (to flat I take it?)

My favorite board in the late 80s.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2022, 09:23:21 AM »
Yeah, straight to flat. Certainly wouldn't feel good these days... haha...

One of my biggest material regrets is selling that Dressen deck (above). $200 to partially fund a surfboard...  ::) What a dummy....

I got it for free in 2000 while visiting a skate shop I used to work in. The owner told me to help myself to any 'old school' boards as no one wanted them.... just before the renewed interest boom in old decks...

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2022, 06:25:58 PM »
Dressen has the intro and some nice clips in AVE's soty trip edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL0h1NYIkx4

paling around with AVE again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLSPoc234I
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 06:39:38 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »
I’ll figure out how to upload the photo from my phone later but met him recently at a DogTown event.
Dude has this grandiose feel to him. It surprised me how short he is but he’s super nice and sweet. He was with his lady and I didn’t want to bug him much but dude rocks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2022, 04:26:16 PM »
I was apprehensive to post this here because, you know, its a 9 Club interview and Chris Roberts and Kelly Hart are complete fucking hacks, but despite those two it's still worth listening to. Anyways, there's a typical moment where Chris Roberts is being annoying and self-aggrandizing (see every single episode for more examples of this) and asks he Eric Dressen if he'd get his (Chris') name tattooed on his (Eric's) body and Eric says yes that he'd do it because he's proud of Chris. He says it in such a completely earnest way that it's incredibly touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov4uU4BS3AE

then if you want to cleanse your palette with a better interview there's a good BS with TG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmwpxNU8Y_M

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2022, 12:08:36 AM »
->funeral_tuxedo
that Ave SOTY vid was a treat thanks for posting that!
About his Nine club, I finished watching it this weekend, and I agree with you, it's far from being the best interview but some moments are touching. I could not believe it at the end when he said he did not feel worthy of being invited....I felt like screaming "dude! you're eric fucking dressen"!! hahaha....Gonna watch that Bullshit with TG vid now, sounds super promising!

->mynameisnotjeff : "Dude has this grandiose feel to him"....waoh. That's an intriguing/fascinating way to put it....man sometimes I'm really jealous of people living in California, in the middle of the skate universe.

->everyone: gotta say I'm glad I started this thread, cause you guys hipped me to a lot of stuff I had missed. So thanks to all the Slap Dressen fans   8)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2022, 12:59:15 AM »

stoked!
actually so stoked I bought that deck twice. I had to have one to ride too! It makes me want to skate just looking at it.
First time I ever buy a 9" board, so I'm probably going to have to switch to bigger trucks....I think I'm about to dive deep into the truck madness rabbit hole.... :-X might go back to Indys after riding Ventures for a few years.....the internet is giving me way too much info on truck setup though ha....

Frank and Fred

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2022, 10:56:25 AM »

stoked!
actually so stoked I bought that deck twice. I had to have one to ride too! It makes me want to skate just looking at it.
First time I ever buy a 9" board, so I'm probably going to have to switch to bigger trucks....I think I'm about to dive deep into the truck madness rabbit hole.... :-X might go back to Indys after riding Ventures for a few years.....the internet is giving me way too much info on truck setup though ha....

Don't read the Slap truck threads and just get some trucks Dressen would ride.