Author Topic: Dressen appreciation  (Read 2753 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Dressen appreciation
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2022, 12:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote

stoked!
actually so stoked I bought that deck twice. I had to have one to ride too! It makes me want to skate just looking at it.
First time I ever buy a 9" board, so I'm probably going to have to switch to bigger trucks....I think I'm about to dive deep into the truck madness rabbit hole.... :-X might go back to Indys after riding Ventures for a few years.....the internet is giving me way too much info on truck setup though ha....
[close]

Don't read the Slap truck threads and just get some trucks Dressen would ride.

sounds like good advice! I think I'm about to follow it and go full big boy with Indy 159's....
gonna feel super manly at the park haha....or elderly maybe?!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2022, 12:21:20 AM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2022, 09:18:02 AM »
That mini-ramp session with Oster and Murray was great. Dressen in his prime for sure. Made the others look a bit kooky.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2022, 07:38:59 PM »

stoked!
actually so stoked I bought that deck twice. I had to have one to ride too! It makes me want to skate just looking at it.
First time I ever buy a 9" board, so I'm probably going to have to switch to bigger trucks....I think I'm about to dive deep into the truck madness rabbit hole.... :-X might go back to Indys after riding Ventures for a few years.....the internet is giving me way too much info on truck setup though ha....

@OldieButFrenchie that Dressen board is lovely. What's the framed cartoon illustration on the left from?

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2022, 05:06:17 AM »
I'd just go full Dressen set up 159's , 56mm OJ 101's etc. I've always wanted to just set up a deck exactly like a pro..

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2022, 11:25:12 AM »
-> funeral_tuxedo : that's from "The Arab of the Future", by Riad Sattouf, French-syrian author. Big fan of that guy, he's done loads of awesome comics. And 2 movies. But the "The Arab of the Future" series is the only one translated to english I think....

->Siota : that's what I'm thinking too! Except I bought Bones dragons 56 mm and I'm keeping them for sure. I've been riding Ventures 144 so I'm curious what it's gonna be like to switch to 159!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2022, 06:41:44 PM »
-> funeral_tuxedo : that's from "The Arab of the Future", by Riad Sattouf, French-syrian author. Big fan of that guy, he's done loads of awesome comics. And 2 movies. But the "The Arab of the Future" series is the only one translated to english I think....

->Siota : that's what I'm thinking too! Except I bought Bones dragons 56 mm and I'm keeping them for sure. I've been riding Ventures 144 so I'm curious what it's gonna be like to switch to 159!

Awesome. I thought the artwork style looked familiar. I've seen his stuff in French but not translated.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2022, 01:25:28 AM »
also stumbled upon these deep cuts....have not watched in entirety yet but it's a treat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgZS56tCoM0&t=1156s

The airwalk to fakie recovery at 3:35 is so casual and gnarly.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2022, 03:57:57 AM »
@OldieButFrenchie post it when you set it up! If you want some 159's I can post you some on Friday. I'm never gonna use them. They are stage 10 thou.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2022, 12:23:00 AM »
@OldieButFrenchie post it when you set it up! If you want some 159's I can post you some on Friday. I'm never gonna use them. They are stage 10 thou.

!!?? way too nice man! why is every irish guy I meet super nice? I'm gonna shoot you a pm, I'll pay for the shipping at the very least.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2022, 12:24:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Awesome. I thought the artwork style looked familiar. I've seen his stuff in French but not translated.

if you speak/understand French, give his movie "Les beaux gosses" a try, it's pretty hilarious....

Also: Frank and Fred focused?? WTF happened there?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2022, 12:15:17 AM »
shalomest moment I ever had on Slap!

Siota very generously sent me these Indy 159's he wasn't using. thanks so much again mate!
The board looks so tough with black and red trucks  :P
Also I don't know who made those "Ignacio" stickers but that shit seriously made me tear up. Call me emo. Or maybe my euro ass is still kinda shellshocked from those terror attacks a few years back.

anyway! can't wait to skate it! on the other hand I kinda want to "finish" my current board....I usually skate boards till they are done for real ha. Btw I'm currently riding an 8.68, so jumping to 9" is not that big a change but the Dressen still looks/feels super big! we'll see how I get used to it, and maybe I'll try to film some Dressen-inspired moves if I can (no garantee of ripping, no returns ;D  maybe I can relearn crail to tails though!)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2022, 06:06:58 AM »
shalomest moment I ever had on Slap!

Siota very generously sent me these Indy 159's he wasn't using. thanks so much again mate!
The board looks so tough with black and red trucks  :P
Also I don't know who made those "Ignacio" stickers but that shit seriously made me tear up. Call me emo. Or maybe my euro ass is still kinda shellshocked from those terror attacks a few years back.

anyway! can't wait to skate it! on the other hand I kinda want to "finish" my current board....I usually skate boards till they are done for real ha. Btw I'm currently riding an 8.68, so jumping to 9" is not that big a change but the Dressen still looks/feels super big! we'll see how I get used to it, and maybe I'll try to film some Dressen-inspired moves if I can (no garantee of ripping, no returns ;D  maybe I can relearn crail to tails though!)

lovely set up

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2022, 09:15:10 AM »
I forget who did that design, can find out thou, was a UK lad. I normally get loads of that one and the obey style one printed out before June 3rd and plaster every skate spot, give them out and slap them up in bars that are skater friendly.
Remind me next spring and I'll send you a stack.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2022, 01:11:31 AM »
10 second tribute with that Dressen deck and the Indys Siota gifted me!
In between 2 showers of rain, but a fun sesh. I'm getting used to bigger board/trucks and actually thinking of going full old-school now by adding rails ha    :-X
(can't embed this for some reason sorry my dudes.....)

https://www.veed.io/view/d7a0a4ce-86c5-4e70-99ea-217d6c45c694?sharingWidget=true&panel=share

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2022, 04:26:40 AM »
10 second tribute with that Dressen deck and the Indys Siota gifted me!
In between 2 showers of rain, but a fun sesh. I'm getting used to bigger board/trucks and actually thinking of going full old-school now by adding rails ha    :-X
(can't embed this for some reason sorry my dudes.....)

https://www.veed.io/view/d7a0a4ce-86c5-4e70-99ea-217d6c45c694?sharingWidget=true&panel=share

I wish I would have known that, I could have sent you the practically new rails that were on the deck I took the trucks off!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2022, 12:21:22 AM »
oh never mind man, sending me trucks was the beesknees already!
Speaking of knees, mine are complaining heavily. Seems like 2 sessions/week was asking too much.... Hobbling around right now.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2023, 12:02:01 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nupLHo-vDU

skate rat to the core.... Also the Winkowski tricks in this are nuts!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2023, 09:21:31 AM »
The amazing thing about Dressen is how he fans out on people who should be bowing their heads to him. So modest. Such a great example of a humble human. Mentioning Alva and AVE as among his top skaters makes so much sense. He bridges so many eras and styles of skateboarding.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2023, 10:37:55 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nupLHo-vDU

Was going to post this. Love hearing him talk about his love for skating and new/old skaters. Best dude.

Santa Cruz, keep the Dressen content coming!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2023, 12:55:37 PM »

This is the only material possession I regret selling. OG Dressen Roses. I sold it before all the old guy kook collecting phenomenon really became a thing...

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2023, 11:45:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was going to post this. Love hearing him talk about his love for skating and new/old skaters. Best dude.

Santa Cruz, keep the Dressen content coming!

yup, come on NHS, the people have spoken!

->Frank and Fred: damn and it was in brand new condition too.....
I'm actually thinking of buying a reissue, the updated shape looks good, plus they're quite cheap

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2023, 05:59:14 PM »
I don't know how to imbed images on here, but this one Dressen ad was a big influence on me being a believer in rip grip.

And how sick that Stecyck shot the photo

http://vertisdead.blogspot.com/2014/04/rip-grip-2.html

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2023, 09:38:21 AM »
I don't know how to imbed images on here, but this one Dressen ad was a big influence on me being a believer in rip grip.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2023, 03:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks!

Gnarred for the effort!

How did you do that?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2023, 09:01:10 AM »
-Right click on image.
- select "copy image address"
-go to Slap post, paste image address
-highlight the dress and then click on the 'insert image' icon (the little camera icon above the emojis)

Bill Salt

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2023, 09:29:52 AM »
Right move!One of my early influences too in the late eightties.Great style, insane miniramp skills at the time.The Speed freaks part is one of my favs.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 135
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2023, 08:09:18 AM »
The shot on the back cover of the new Closer mag is sick!! Dressen rules.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2023, 01:56:36 PM »
The shot on the back cover of the new Closer mag is sick!! Dressen rules.

That looks sick. Dressen rules. Hope to pick up a copy of Closer, soon.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2023, 06:01:52 PM »
Bring back Rip Grip