Author Topic: Worst art by pro skater thread…..  (Read 8328 times)

Prostate Exam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Worst art by pro skater thread…..
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2022, 04:53:16 AM »
Chet Childress spraypainting his stupid birds on bum's matresses

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2022, 05:55:44 AM »
I really like Chet Childress and his drawings. Not sure I would call that art tho.

I can't see any more stuff from Kris Markovich.

Lance does some cool drawings from time to time.

Don Pendleton is what I would call art.
Or the stuff Glen Fox and Jeremy Jones are doing.
IG: @flowterspace

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2022, 07:45:45 AM »
Templeton's art still lack's craft and originality. I can't believe he gets shows in Paris with that David Hockney rip off stuff. I like his photos though, when he's not being a total creep. Larry Clark is a bad influence on people.

Gonz's stuff couldn't be lazier. Also super derivative. Loved it back in the day.

Markovich is basically a stenciler for wall art at brew pubs/white people burrito shops.

I'm a mark for Neil Blender despite him seeming like an asshole. Chris Miller did cool stuff. Lucero is a legit illustrator/designer. It's hip to try to take him down a peg, but Dill is a good Art Director/Curator. Lee Smith's stuff is great.
Lotti is fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:22:00 PM by Robert Baratheon »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2022, 08:10:55 AM »
Templeton’s early Egon Schiele period was downright embarrassing. Did he think no one would notice?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pretty Serious

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2022, 08:13:39 AM »
This is exactly what I envision Greyson’s inner dialogue looks like.  In that regard I think he nailed it.

Greyson….

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2022, 09:03:37 AM »
surprised tyler bledsoe hasn’t been mentioned

He practiced and got pretty good. Not the most original but definitely not bad anymore...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
People….post some god damn pics…..

Has Jenkem done an article where they get an art critic to do commentary on semi/retire pro’s artwork?

Is this a Ted Barrow account that I’ve missed?  There’s a couple hours worth of gifted hater material here….

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1221
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2022, 09:18:26 AM »
Chet Childress spraypainting his stupid birds on bum's matresses
dude literally has grip tape that says “help america find my mattress” “call 1800-jack-dick”

IpathCats

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2022, 10:07:31 AM »
Chet Childress was fartin out a bunch of ‘art’ at one point, made me think I can draw at that time. Found out I can.

yea, those stupid fucking chicken can things were like his version of those god awful faces markovich draws on everything.

I understand branding or having a "thing", but I dont understand how anyone can be so self unaware that they think shitty ideas like those are worth tying themselves to. It's astonishing.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2022, 10:32:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He practiced and got pretty good. Not the most original but definitely not bad anymore...

He's still atrociously bad, which is why he is always putting "Have tons of openings..." in his IG stories. Like I don't mind really simplistic traditional flash, but his lines are still shaking, his proportions are often off, and his shading is garbage. These 2 in particular are horrible:

With that said due to the recent thread about Portland PD I checked out Emile's tagging and man, he needs to just focus on skating.

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2022, 10:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Chet Childress was fartin out a bunch of ‘art’ at one point, made me think I can draw at that time. Found out I can.
[close]

yea, those stupid fucking chicken can things were like his version of those god awful faces markovich draws on everything.

I understand branding or having a "thing", but I dont understand how anyone can be so self unaware that they think shitty ideas like those are worth tying themselves to. It's astonishing.

I’ll give him an inch here. The mattress thing: it’s graffiti and “having a thing” is like 99% of the point, no? Plus, with his whole hobo schtick, there’s even more of a synapse there. Bozo Texino was hopping trains and scratching together some New Deal era govt table scraps, Luda’s out there couch surfing on some Nike money.  Is it ground breaking, no, but at least the signal he’s sending out there is ~”get out of the house and get into some shit”. 

Maybe that was more than an inch.

Stefan Janoski on the other hand… He should absolutely keep up trying his hand at those bronze sculptures. But he should definitely stop showing them to anyone for at least another 10 years or so.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2022, 10:47:42 AM »
Nick Jensen

I have always loved the silver balloon in the first painting. I actually enjoy his older art a lot more than his new stuff

More about his art

Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2022, 10:55:51 AM »
Has Jenkem done an article where they get an art critic to do commentary on semi/retire pro’s artwork?
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/search/art+critic
Four times...
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2022, 12:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He's still atrociously bad, which is why he is always putting "Have tons of openings..." in his IG stories. Like I don't mind really simplistic traditional flash, but his lines are still shaking, his proportions are often off, and his shading is garbage. These 2 in particular are horrible:

With that said due to the recent thread about Portland PD I checked out Emile's tagging and man, he needs to just focus on skating.

Bledsoe's tattoo work is a few clicks above a scratcher at best. Emile really took the quantity over quality approach to graffiti. One of his graff homies should have pulled him aside and been like "Ok dude, let's work on your handstyle and throwies."

IpathCats

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2022, 01:01:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ll give him an inch here. The mattress thing: it’s graffiti and “having a thing” is like 99% of the point, no? Plus, with his whole hobo schtick, there’s even more of a synapse there. Bozo Texino was hopping trains and scratching together some New Deal era govt table scraps, Luda’s out there couch surfing on some Nike money.  Is it ground breaking, no, but at least the signal he’s sending out there is ~”get out of the house and get into some shit”. 

Stefan Janoski on the other hand… He should absolutely keep up trying his hand at those bronze sculptures. But he should definitely stop showing them to anyone for at least another 10 years or so.

Graffiti on mattresses, I get. That dumbass chicken can thing can fuck off though.

I've drawn plenty of crap in my lifetime, none of it was worth sharing with others. I really want to know why/how some of these people get the idea that theirs is worth sharing. Is it all ego? Or do they just have horrible taste and actually think it's good? Is chet proud of his fucking chicken cans? Do Markovich's faces express the depths of emotion a washed up pro experiences throughout his career?

BevinKradley

• Rep: -8
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2022, 01:17:21 PM »
is this thread only for physical art, like paintings n shit?

Ya'll remember Jereme Rogers makes music right..?

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2022, 02:02:38 PM »
Stefan Janoski on the other hand…

Came to say Janoski. His vibe is definitely rich guy + a lot of free time + living in New York = artist.

Be tight if he just didn’t.

Skateboarding requires a certain amount of creativity, yes, and living a sponsored lifestyle has a lot of down time, but I wish that didn’t amount to every friggin person needing a company or a guitar or a paintbrush or whatever.

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2022, 02:13:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Graffiti on mattresses, I get. That dumbass chicken can thing can fuck off though.

I've drawn plenty of crap in my lifetime, none of it was worth sharing with others. I really want to know why/how some of these people get the idea that theirs is worth sharing. Is it all ego? Or do they just have horrible taste and actually think it's good? Is chet proud of his fucking chicken cans? Do Markovich's faces express the depths of emotion a washed up pro experiences throughout his career?

I can’t argue with a word of that. I don’t know if your questions were rhetorical, but to me, it’s the perfect storm that skateboarding and the art world (which I’ve worked in for longer than I care to think about… not that that qualifies me for shit here) lazily lean on name recognition and the idea of the “personal brand” far too heavily as fast tracks to short sighted revenue (well, that last part is more damning and  true of the art world, but hopefully you take my point).  A gallerist and company owner (or some anyway) are cut from the same cloth.

And I guess to be fair, skateboarders (certainly at the pro level) are people accustomed to publicly failing ad infinitum in pursuit of clip or a photo. So why not carpet bomb the world with your unpracticed doodles, maybe you’ll eventually land one?

Bucketguy

• Rep: 15
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2022, 02:53:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bledsoe's tattoo work is a few clicks above a scratcher at best. Emile really took the quantity over quality approach to graffiti. One of his graff homies should have pulled him aside and been like "Ok dude, let's work on your handstyle and throwies."

Bledsoes art style is pretty common in tattooing right now, just very basic “folky” style of traditional tattooing and art. He’s doing arguably a better job of it than a lot of the newer tat guys and girls I see are trying to do the same style. The shop Bledsoe works at is pretty renowned and he apprenticed under cheyanne sawyer I’m pretty sure, which in itself is an accomplishment.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2022, 03:02:31 PM »
This Greysons art reminds me when I watched documentary about Basquiat and tried to make some art with random shit from the drawer.

ive been there before as well
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2022, 03:52:38 PM »
i thought markovich was the worst skartist until i saw danny minnick’s stuff
knowing he’s been able to make a career out of this absolutely shameless garbage makes me feel a little insane

work_lurker

• Rep: 70
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2022, 03:55:40 PM »
No joke, big fan of Stefan Janoski, and Brian Lotti's stuff just aint doing anything for me.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2022, 04:01:05 PM »
I don’t see the gigantic improvement of Pendleton over Markovich

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2022, 04:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bledsoes art style is pretty common in tattooing right now, just very basic “folky” style of traditional tattooing and art. He’s doing arguably a better job of it than a lot of the newer tat guys and girls I see are trying to do the same style. The shop Bledsoe works at is pretty renowned and he apprenticed under cheyanne sawyer I’m pretty sure, which in itself is an accomplishment.

His stuff is getting better for sure.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2022, 04:15:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Emile's work is what Portland is known for. 90% of the writers there do the "Anti style" sloppy stuff on purpose. Did Twist ever skate? Didn't he do stuff for Bill's Wheels back in the day?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2022, 04:16:09 PM »

damn @ziggy that's cold

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2022, 06:16:11 PM »
is this thread only for physical art, like paintings n shit?

Ya'll remember Jereme Rogers makes music right..?

Go start a new thread…there’s a bunch to cover….

Mother Goose.

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2022, 06:27:00 PM »
I really like Chet Childress and his drawings. Not sure I would call that art tho.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2022, 06:52:17 PM »

line-work, originality, execution

cky enthusiast

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2022, 06:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Emile's work is what Portland is known for. 90% of the writers there do the "Anti style" sloppy stuff on purpose. Did Twist ever skate? Didn't he do stuff for Bill's Wheels back in the day?

you don’t get down wit gsb if you’re bad at graff imo..

twist skated. orfn skated too. Using Skateboards crew..