Author Topic: Worst art by pro skater thread…..  (Read 8327 times)

BacksideWallride

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
Re: Worst art by pro skater thread…..
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2022, 07:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
surprised tyler bledsoe hasn’t been mentioned
[close]

He practiced and got pretty good. Not the most original but definitely not bad anymore...
[close]

He's still atrociously bad, which is why he is always putting "Have tons of openings..." in his IG stories. Like I don't mind really simplistic traditional flash, but his lines are still shaking, his proportions are often off, and his shading is garbage. These 2 in particular are horrible:

With that said due to the recent thread about Portland PD I checked out Emile's tagging and man, he needs to just focus on skating.
[close]

Bledsoe's tattoo work is a few clicks above a scratcher at best. Emile really took the quantity over quality approach to graffiti. One of his graff homies should have pulled him aside and been like "Ok dude, let's work on your handstyle and throwies."
[close]

Emile's work is what Portland is known for. 90% of the writers there do the "Anti style" sloppy stuff on purpose. Did Twist ever skate? Didn't he do stuff for Bill's Wheels back in the day?
[close]

you don’t get down wit gsb if you’re bad at graff imo..

twist skated. orfn skated too. Using Skateboards crew..

Good point, GSB kills but you gotta agree Portland has a strong scratchy fill scene. RIP ORFN and Margaret Kilgallen

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2022, 07:46:25 PM »
regardless of crew, tendo’s stuff is just bad, even in the strata of wonky/antistyle he’s a part of.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2022, 07:48:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

He practiced and got pretty good. Not the most original but definitely not bad anymore...
[close]

He's still atrociously bad, which is why he is always putting "Have tons of openings..." in his IG stories. Like I don't mind really simplistic traditional flash, but his lines are still shaking, his proportions are often off, and his shading is garbage. These 2 in particular are horrible:

With that said due to the recent thread about Portland PD I checked out Emile's tagging and man, he needs to just focus on skating.
[close]

Bledsoe's tattoo work is a few clicks above a scratcher at best. Emile really took the quantity over quality approach to graffiti. One of his graff homies should have pulled him aside and been like "Ok dude, let's work on your handstyle and throwies."
[close]

Bledsoes art style is pretty common in tattooing right now, just very basic “folky” style of traditional tattooing and art. He’s doing arguably a better job of it than a lot of the newer tat guys and girls I see are trying to do the same style. The shop Bledsoe works at is pretty renowned and he apprenticed under cheyanne sawyer I’m pretty sure, which in itself is an accomplishment.
[close]

His stuff is getting better for sure.

I have a friend who’s gotten a few tattoos from Bledsoe and each one has been noticeably better than the last. I’d like to get one from him at some point in the future.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2195
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2022, 07:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bledsoes art style is pretty common in tattooing right now, just very basic “folky” style of traditional tattooing and art. He’s doing arguably a better job of it than a lot of the newer tat guys and girls I see are trying to do the same style. The shop Bledsoe works at is pretty renowned and he apprenticed under cheyanne sawyer I’m pretty sure, which in itself is an accomplishment.
[close]

His stuff is getting better for sure.
[close]

I have a friend who’s gotten a few tattoos from Bledsoe and each one has been noticeably better than the last. I’d like to get one from him at some point in the future.
But… like, really far in the future, right?
Right?!?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Cheyenne is a known entity for sure but wouldn't say renowned. I know a few dudes that apprenticed with hi. And they do heavy, simpler folk traditional stuff leagues above Tyler. He's gotten a bit better but it's still so bad like he has almost zero fundamentals and can't draw for shit.

Something being popular among young kids right now isn't really a good point of evidence. Kids are getting some terrible stuff right now to copy crappy prison tattoos sorta like when dudes used to get Russian prison flash in the early 2010s. Definitely a fad, especially since it's now the preferred style of pumpkin spice patty's

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2022, 06:25:35 AM »
Does anyone know who used to do Bueno skateboards art? I liked some of those designs.

I'm cringing because I have a markovich style piece I did at home with mop markers.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2022, 06:49:58 AM »
Does anyone know who used to do Bueno skateboards art? I liked some of those designs.

I'm cringing because I have a markovich style piece I did at home with mop markers.
michael sieben

IpathCats

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2022, 07:09:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Chet Childress was fartin out a bunch of ‘art’ at one point, made me think I can draw at that time. Found out I can.
[close]

yea, those stupid fucking chicken can things were like his version of those god awful faces markovich draws on everything.

I understand branding or having a "thing", but I dont understand how anyone can be so self unaware that they think shitty ideas like those are worth tying themselves to. It's astonishing.
[close]

I’ll give him an inch here. The mattress thing: it’s graffiti and “having a thing” is like 99% of the point, no? Plus, with his whole hobo schtick, there’s even more of a synapse there. Bozo Texino was hopping trains and scratching together some New Deal era govt table scraps, Luda’s out there couch surfing on some Nike money.  Is it ground breaking, no, but at least the signal he’s sending out there is ~”get out of the house and get into some shit”. 

Maybe that was more than an inch.

Stefan Janoski on the other hand… He should absolutely keep up trying his hand at those bronze sculptures. But he should definitely stop showing them to anyone for at least another 10 years or so.
[close]

Graffiti on mattresses, I get. That dumbass chicken can thing can fuck off though.

I've drawn plenty of crap in my lifetime, none of it was worth sharing with others. I really want to know why/how some of these people get the idea that theirs is worth sharing. Is it all ego? Or do they just have horrible taste and actually think it's good? Is chet proud of his fucking chicken cans? Do Markovich's faces express the depths of emotion a washed up pro experiences throughout his career?
[close]

I can’t argue with a word of that. I don’t know if your questions were rhetorical, but to me, it’s the perfect storm that skateboarding and the art world (which I’ve worked in for longer than I care to think about… not that that qualifies me for shit here) lazily lean on name recognition and the idea of the “personal brand” far too heavily as fast tracks to short sighted revenue (well, that last part is more damning and  true of the art world, but hopefully you take my point).  A gallerist and company owner (or some anyway) are cut from the same cloth.

And I guess to be fair, skateboarders (certainly at the pro level) are people accustomed to publicly failing ad infinitum in pursuit of clip or a photo. So why not carpet bomb the world with your unpracticed doodles, maybe you’ll eventually land one?

Was more ranting than anything, wasn't trying to direct my rage at you. I just notice this a lot and it drives me nuts. There's one particular guy I know of who moved from Maryland out to LA. He was a pretty decent skater, probably like shop sponsored level, one of the better guys in my area. As soon as he moved to LA he just became (or started trying to become) this fashion guy. Wait actually now that i think of it he tried rapping first lol and now hes a fashion guy which makes this even funnier. He started making the most god awful clothes, literally looks like shirts girls would make for pep rally's in high school. Like cut up shirts with shit painted on them. He has the worst, cringiest fucking website, talking about how he's been inspired by nights of blacking out in LA or something to that effect. And I can't help but think his ego that he got from being a decent skater in a small area is what enables him to do this kook shit and think nothing of it. Maybe I'm just a hater, I mean he's out there trying something right? But I just can't understand how any reasonable person thinks this shit is worth making.

I'm gonna find this site for you guys....oh god i found it, worse than i remember "no cigarettes in heaven? count me out". lol i can't make this shit up.

https://hvve-no-fevr.myshopify.com/?fbclid=IwAR2MSOhAp3znSe2CJxW94wDtiHKZkGOE7SUG8Xqe0W2ILhcn4OPoq_KP0TU

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Chet Childress was fartin out a bunch of ‘art’ at one point, made me think I can draw at that time. Found out I can.
[close]

yea, those stupid fucking chicken can things were like his version of those god awful faces markovich draws on everything.

I understand branding or having a "thing", but I dont understand how anyone can be so self unaware that they think shitty ideas like those are worth tying themselves to. It's astonishing.
[close]

I’ll give him an inch here. The mattress thing: it’s graffiti and “having a thing” is like 99% of the point, no? Plus, with his whole hobo schtick, there’s even more of a synapse there. Bozo Texino was hopping trains and scratching together some New Deal era govt table scraps, Luda’s out there couch surfing on some Nike money.  Is it ground breaking, no, but at least the signal he’s sending out there is ~”get out of the house and get into some shit”. 

Stefan Janoski on the other hand… He should absolutely keep up trying his hand at those bronze sculptures. But he should definitely stop showing them to anyone for at least another 10 years or so.
[close]

Graffiti on mattresses, I get. That dumbass chicken can thing can fuck off though.

I've drawn plenty of crap in my lifetime, none of it was worth sharing with others. I really want to know why/how some of these people get the idea that theirs is worth sharing. Is it all ego? Or do they just have horrible taste and actually think it's good? Is chet proud of his fucking chicken cans? Do Markovich's faces express the depths of emotion a washed up pro experiences throughout his career?
[close]

I can’t argue with a word of that. I don’t know if your questions were rhetorical, but to me, it’s the perfect storm that skateboarding and the art world (which I’ve worked in for longer than I care to think about… not that that qualifies me for shit here) lazily lean on name recognition and the idea of the “personal brand” far too heavily as fast tracks to short sighted revenue (well, that last part is more damning and  true of the art world, but hopefully you take my point).  A gallerist and company owner (or some anyway) are cut from the same cloth.

And I guess to be fair, skateboarders (certainly at the pro level) are people accustomed to publicly failing ad infinitum in pursuit of clip or a photo. So why not carpet bomb the world with your unpracticed doodles, maybe you’ll eventually land one?
[close]

Was more ranting than anything, wasn't trying to direct my rage at you. I just notice this a lot and it drives me nuts. There's one particular guy I know of who moved from Maryland out to LA. He was a pretty decent skater, probably like shop sponsored level, one of the better guys in my area. As soon as he moved to LA he just became (or started trying to become) this fashion guy. Wait actually now that i think of it he tried rapping first lol and now hes a fashion guy which makes this even funnier. He started making the most god awful clothes, literally looks like shirts girls would make for pep rally's in high school. Like cut up shirts with shit painted on them. He has the worst, cringiest fucking website, talking about how he's been inspired by nights of blacking out in LA or something to that effect. And I can't help but think his ego that he got from being a decent skater in a small area is what enables him to do this kook shit and think nothing of it. Maybe I'm just a hater, I mean he's out there trying something right? But I just can't understand how any reasonable person thinks this shit is worth making.

I'm gonna find this site for you guys....oh god i found it, worse than i remember "no cigarettes in heaven? count me out". lol i can't make this shit up.

https://hvve-no-fevr.myshopify.com/?fbclid=IwAR2MSOhAp3znSe2CJxW94wDtiHKZkGOE7SUG8Xqe0W2ILhcn4OPoq_KP0TU

The preset photoshop Brush on the main logo is a great look. I also really like that the shirts look like they were drawn in the iPhone notes app. Next level design I can tell why he got into fashion
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2022, 09:20:45 AM »
Not sure on worst...Markovich is cool, but really repetitive.

BEST skate artist though, is Gino Perez!  Used to skate with Gonz on 60/40, now a full time artist doing collabs with major fashion brands, Eyewear, the list goes on...

Highly recommend to check him out on IG!!

Dont

• Rep: -15
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »
i thought markovich was the worst skartist until i saw danny minnick’s stuff
knowing he’s been able to make a career out of this absolutely shameless garbage makes me feel a little insane

Thank you. I remember when my head exploded the first time I saw his art while driving in LA. You can’t paint a blatant KH and call it yours. Who said this was ok? Who is co-signing this shit?

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2022, 09:41:51 AM »
a lot of companies are in need to hire steven salazar. if slap can get ryan lay on new balance then i think we can run that.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2022, 09:45:41 AM »
Not sure on worst...Markovich is cool, but really repetitive.

BEST skate artist though, is Gino Perez!  Used to skate with Gonz on 60/40, now a full time artist doing collabs with major fashion brands, Eyewear, the list goes on...

Highly recommend to check him out on IG!!

Gino not really changing the game with his Basquiat bootlegs
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

IpathCats

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2022, 09:47:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The preset photoshop Brush on the main logo is a great look. I also really like that the shirts look like they were drawn in the iPhone notes app. Next level design I can tell why he got into fashion

They probably were, while smoking a cig, before blacking out, in LA, bro, so deep.

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2022, 10:02:10 AM »

Art is subjective, and that's that.

Some dissing Thomas Campbell, Campbell is a hard working and original dude.

Some praising Gino Perez, the guy looks like an extra from a Jodorowsky film.

Calling Gonz's work "lazy" get the fuck out of heeeeeeeeeere, champ.

BUT at least we can all agree,
Markovich's stuff is pretty lame.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2022, 10:22:18 AM »
I know DLX has a gonz app….they just take a pic of anything and it’s the new Krooked graphic….

IpathCats

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »

Art is subjective, and that's that.

Some dissing Thomas Campbell, Campbell is a hard working and original dude.

Some praising Gino Perez, the guy looks like an extra from a Jodorowsky film.

Calling Gonz's work "lazy" get the fuck out of heeeeeeeeeere, champ.

BUT at least we can all agree,
Markovich's stuff is pretty lame.

IT's NOT LAME, IT'S SUBJECTIVE!

but honestly, at what point can we just call something crap? Do dollars or opinions measure the quality of your art? I mean he did get paid to paint all over Tampa one year, and i assume he makes some amount of money off his art. Does it just take one stupid rich person wanting to buy your art to make it "good art"? What a weird situation. nothing is real.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2022, 11:09:28 AM »
 Bobby Puleo scooping literal garbage of NY streets and gluein' it together.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2022, 11:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Have they never heard of No Fear clothing before?

That website and mission statement or whatever it's supposed to be are brutal. Worse than the clothes if that's possible.

$55 t-shirts described as boxy? Who is buying this shit?

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2022, 11:27:18 AM »
As a BFA holder, I will confidently state that Greyson's painting is the worst thing I've seen in a long time. Markovich though has been fully committed to his bad art for decades now though, so he deserves some special recognition.

IpathCats

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2022, 11:29:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Have they never heard of No Fear clothing before?

That website and mission statement or whatever it's supposed to be are brutal. Worse than the clothes if that's possible.

$55 t-shirts described as boxy? Who is buying this shit?

I'm glad you see this for what it is, crap. The design, description, price, all completely absurd. I doubt its flying off the shelves though haha. The whole thing seems like a joke i would make with my friends. Very tim and eric if you look at it like that.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2022, 11:31:24 AM »
i feel tough when i wear my no fear cut off

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 41
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2022, 02:16:44 PM »
Bobby Puleo scooping literal garbage of NY streets and gluein' it together has more artistic substance than a lot of the other crap out there.

Fixed that for you.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2022, 02:55:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I don’t see the gigantic improvement of Pendleton over Markovich
[close]

line-work, originality, execution

this plus: color theory, aesthetic growth/diversity, mastery of tools/materials, dialogue, and overall presentation.
Pendleton has definitely read a few books on the subject of fine art while Markovich watches Fox News and prepares for Antifa to unflatten the earth...

Bucketguy

• Rep: 15
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2022, 02:56:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Cheyenne is a known entity for sure but wouldn't say renowned. I know a few dudes that apprenticed with hi. And they do heavy, simpler folk traditional stuff leagues above Tyler. He's gotten a bit better but it's still so bad like he has almost zero fundamentals and can't draw for shit.

Something being popular among young kids right now isn't really a good point of evidence. Kids are getting some terrible stuff right now to copy crappy prison tattoos sorta like when dudes used to get Russian prison flash in the early 2010s. Definitely a fad, especially since it's now the preferred style of pumpkin spice patty's

I suppose where I am from it may be different than being in the city, but where I am in Canada Cheyenne and his shops employees and their art are quite popular.

I know kids are getting stupid shit right now, I’ve been getting tattooed for 20 years. I know this style is a fad too, that’s why I said he’s doing it better than a lot of the newer tattooers I see with sponsored Instagram ads doing the same thing. How long has he even been tattooing? If it’s under 5 years he’s doing just fine and I’m sure will evolve with the trade or will stick to the niche market that folky traditional is. I dunno man, outsider looking in here. Not claiming to know everything at all, but I have been around the industry my whole life so I’d like to think I have some sort of opinion on what I see

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2022, 09:50:10 PM »
What even is art these days

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2022, 05:25:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Emile's work is what Portland is known for. 90% of the writers there do the "Anti style" sloppy stuff on purpose. Did Twist ever skate? Didn't he do stuff for Bill's Wheels back in the day?

On Purpose? Not because most of them are meth ridden lunitics?? Either way looks like shit. Guess that’s why they call it “throw up”

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2022, 05:30:21 AM »
I'd say that Kris Markovich probably holds that title and has for the longest time

He knows it. Admitted to that on the 9 club. Said he just draws stupid faces lol
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 05:45:34 AM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

dannyprovolone

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2022, 05:40:31 AM »

A commercial, disguised with passion

IpathCats

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2022, 05:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A commercial, disguised with passion

Apt assessment Mr. Provolone, apt assessment, take this gnar. A claim of passion is all it really takes lol.