Author Topic: Kris Markovich nine club  (Read 5690 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
Re: Kris Markovich nine club
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2022, 07:03:48 AM »
Expand Quote
30 seconds in and these dudes don't know the difference between WW2 Report and Snuff...

C'mon, this episode should have had Rog MC'ing or something.

Terrible

Maybe I'll check out the other 2:45:05 another time.
[close]

thanks a lot, obama  >:(

They could at least read his CBI before having him on.  This is foundational material.

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2022, 07:06:52 AM »
The interview, actually, really got going towards the end when they started focusing more on skateboarding than sponsor and board co. Controversies.

This was one sick part and definitely opened up the gnar for skateboarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Am51CI2Vw&t=181s

sluggers

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2022, 07:17:43 AM »
Not to mention, I love all the judgmental schmucks. Let’s do a simulation and see if you can live the Markovich life and come out of it settled down, happily married, art career, happy, and still ripping on the other side of 50.!

I’m going to say 96% dead or in prison.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 07:18:36 AM »
Things got a bit too salty towards the end there, but there's definitely good stories especially from the beginnings on Dogtown to later 90's.

Coincidentally, just got Art Bars VHS yesterday and his last part is still really good as it was 20 years ago.

If you're referring to Tod Swank...Its about time someone says something about him. The man is no saint.

Does he bring up his proclivity to painting faces at all?

He does, Its pretty funny.

Dude rips the Tampa area hard and always one of my fava growing up. Gonna be a while till I watch this though since I know it'll bum me out

It wont. The stories were really good.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2022, 07:19:56 AM »
Ok a minute in, but Kris Markovich wasn't in snuff, in the credits they listed skaters as Andy Stone, Jason Dill, Gabriel Rodrguez, Adam McNatt. Filmers were listed at Socrates, Jarad Prindle, Dave Schlossbach and Pete Thomson. They also listed Other: Natas, Mullen and Rocco.

https://youtu.be/p4FvlhZ7nTA

Falling Down, is the oil rig intro one. Fuck me they are like both on youtube and under ten minutes what the fuck does Crob do all week..sure as fuck isn't any prep. Koston has a few clips in a slap shirt in it also. Kris isn't listed in the credits on this either...

https://youtu.be/fHRZLc8QTSA

Did he actually put out clips for 101 or were the above two edited to cut his parts?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 07:30:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't follow the politics or the art, but it can't be overstated how gnarly this guy was during Color / Prime.  I will probably listen to this episode while whittling or something.
[close]
An argument could be made that he is one of the most underrated guys from the early 90s.  And one of the best skaters in the world his age right now (his instagram clips are fucked up for an almost 50 year old).t
Yes the politics attitude tattoos and especially art are all trash.
[close]

He was def not underrated in the 90’s, maybe nowadays but he stood out for going big. I remember that photo over the water gap when it came out and it was absolutely nuts to contemplate at the time…
I'm aware he wasn't underrated then (he lived in the Atlanta area when he was really young and little and already rode for a shop called California Skateboards I think) but he isn't talked about now with the reverence that other influential early 90s guys are.  He is as important as literally any of them and his 360 flip is all time.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 07:38:00 AM »
Ok a minute in, but Kris Markovich wasn't in snuff, in the credits they listed skaters as Andy Stone, Jason Dill, Gabriel Rodrguez, Adam McNatt. Filmers were listed at Socrates, Jarad Prindle, Dave Schlossbach and Pete Thomson. They also listed Other: Natas, Mullen and Rocco.

https://youtu.be/p4FvlhZ7nTA

Falling Down, is the oil rig intro one. Fuck me they are like both on youtube and under ten minutes what the fuck does Crob do all week..sure as fuck isn't any prep. Koston has a few clips in a slap shirt in it also. Kris isn't listed in the credits on this either...

https://youtu.be/fHRZLc8QTSA

Did he actually put out clips for 101 or were the above two edited to cut his parts?

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

You're interviewing Kris Markovich, you gotta know why and what and at least more than, "wow Kris, that was cool when you skated the Chin ramp and beat up that crack head at love park, and jumping out of the helicopter and all that.  Sick."

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2591
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 07:43:50 AM »
Dude rips the Tampa area hard and always one of my fava growing up.

I've always bean a fan too. I'll rewatch his 90s parts every so often.

He was in their first vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtRDQ9MN6w
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

sluggers

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 07:47:13 AM »
This is quite a good interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unledLa_hso

And, this is what the questions are like when the interviewer knows the subject, at least a little, or does some preparation.

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2014/06/chrome-ball-interview-74-kris-markovich.html

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2022, 07:55:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Dude rips the Tampa area hard and always one of my fava growing up.
[close]

I've always bean a fan too. I'll rewatch his 90s parts every so often.

Expand Quote
[close]

He was in their first vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtRDQ9MN6w
Thanks man. Will watch later.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2022, 08:10:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Skated right over the Rico shit no problem. This was a slick interview.
[close]
rico or Rocco? I've read a ton of interviews with him and he for the most part doesn't have any issues with Rocco, he said the reason the relationship got screwed up was his fault. When his dad died he reached out to Rocco and got pissed that he didn't drop his whole life to be there for human thats why he quit Prime, he later realized that Rocco had his own life and was running multiple business and couldn't hault things for Kris's issues. Kris definitely had a different family dynamic than most, he has a few friends in New Olreans and they would point out his parents and dad in the background of a lot video clips he had. The one that stands out is either in Winona Riders or Stun he does a line at Webb Park and when he hits the last set of stairs you can see his dad his sister leaning over the ledge watching him.

Rico= gator.

I was reflecting on how pro that interview was.

He looked at all the steaming piles of shit in skating he said look at how close my face is to the shit!!! Haha I was there!!! Then he moved on with out getting poop on him.

That's how you fucking sell products and stay in hated. I feel like anyone who hates CM don't understand what really real fucking assholes look like.

I'm ok with CM and would probably try to find common ground to stand on.
Not everyone has to be like me for me to be ok with they existence.

I definitely wish I had the opportunity to ask some questions and I do wish Roger would sit in on these guys who are my age.

I'm not trying to diss Chris or Kelly or steez but it becomes obvious that they are like a good 10 years behind me and Roger in skating.
I'm pretty sure Roger is only like 3 or 4 years behind me. I bet he started 1986 or 7
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2022, 08:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't follow the politics or the art, but it can't be overstated how gnarly this guy was during Color / Prime.  I will probably listen to this episode while whittling or something.
[close]
An argument could be made that he is one of the most underrated guys from the early 90s.  And one of the best skaters in the world his age right now (his instagram clips are fucked up for an almost 50 year old).t
Yes the politics attitude tattoos and especially art are all trash.
[close]

He was def not underrated in the 90’s, maybe nowadays but he stood out for going big. I remember that photo over the water gap when it came out and it was absolutely nuts to contemplate at the time…
[close]
I'm aware he wasn't underrated then (he lived in the Atlanta area when he was really young and little and already rode for a shop called California Skateboards I think) but he isn't talked about now with the reverence that other influential early 90s guys are.  He is as important as literally any of them and his 360 flip is all time.

Yeah I got it, from other threads about him on here it’s because of his politics and personality. The skill level is def there…agree about the 3 flip too

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2022, 08:15:52 AM »
Not to mention, I love all the judgmental schmucks. Let’s do a simulation and see if you can live the Markovich life and come out of it settled down, happily married, art career, happy, and still ripping on the other side of 50.!

Did Kris Markovich slick his hair back and order sloppy steaks?

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2022, 08:36:58 AM »
30 seconds in and these dudes don't know the difference between WW2 Report and Snuff...

That’s really unacceptable, it kind of pissed me off. It happens a lot with these guys.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2022, 08:41:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s really unacceptable, it kind of pissed me off. It happens a lot with these guys.

Especially when these guys are supposed to be nerds in their own minds.  It's not like when Gwyneth Paltrow couldn't name what Marvel movies she's been in.  That I can understand. 

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2022, 08:57:09 AM »
I actually thought this went better than expected on Kris' end.

of course the guys blew it again.

snuff is one of my favorite videos and I was losing it over that shit.
I need a coffee

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2022, 09:01:06 AM »
I'm willing to forgive his stupid political social media posts because he kicked Danny Ways ass back in the day.  It's a fair trade off.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They can't stop him from ordering a steak and a glass of water...

Also, what is up with the flies?! Do they have a bunch of trash just sitting around the nine club set? It's fucking gross. Is this a common thing in Venice?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2022, 01:36:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"Could you not call my dad a piece of shit?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buK45NW_ikI

Markovich's parts in The Color Video and Right To Skate were incredible (and his is Fight Fire With Fire part still stands up with the giant 360 flip and all those boosted inward heels). It would've been really nice to hear some in depth talk about what the filming process was like for those videos, especially Right To Skate since it was such a heavy video for a wheel company. The team was stacked and the videography was so stunning for the time period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7p1dzZVcJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkS-aWD4ZAo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k60MYxK7ClU

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2022, 03:30:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These guys should do their homework and have notes/bullet points on this shit. This is what always makes listening to Nine Club so painful. Other than usual fumbling from hosts I really dug this one with Markovich. Amazing to see him killing it so hard on the board at 50. Been a fan of his skating since back in the day. Cool to hear all the back stories, good shit.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2022, 03:45:09 PM »

C'mon, this episode should have had Rog MC'ing or something.

Terrible

Maybe I'll check out the other 2:45:05 another time.
Wait, what. Roberts and Jeron should easily know this. I understand (while don't like) when they don't know a ton of stuff. But, anything World Camp or Crailtap I expect them to easily know.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2022, 04:02:22 PM »
Just watched it in 3 sittings because Markovich is a bit too much for me after a while.

He seems like he knows himself quite well though, making fun of himself for being a handful and making fun of his art "yaay another face!". I didn't realltbexpect that... I expected a lot more "they're wrong!" and "my art rules!" Kinda stuff. But it was the opposite, well at least most of the time ...

I wish they had some more questions about color, prime, how he got his pro shoe on duffs etc.

All in all it was cooler than I expected but it felt rushed, and like they didn't do any research (what's new).

Jeron felt off in this episode and I think he wasn't really vibing with Markovich at all, but I can't blame him ... Jeron is chill and Markovich seemed very nervous and had a gnarly tick (which was blamed on the heat of the studio by a lot of people.Yet most of the time everyone is sitting there in a hoodie or sweatshirt ...)

Marv

• Rep: 75
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2022, 10:26:42 PM »
Markovich was a beast in the old days and the recent clips I’ve seen of him skating are pretty sick for his age. He has a weird energy in this interview that is hard to take.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2022, 11:04:09 PM »
Markovich had a minor Slap meltdown, all I really remember was he was in the middle of moving…..it was the usual :  ‘fuck all you guys!’ But then…’I don’t need this, I’M MOVING!’

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2022, 03:38:39 AM »
I think they want to keep the feel organic, but with a guy that has so many sponsors and such a long career at the height of video age, a timeline/ notes would probably have been a good idea. 

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2022, 04:31:36 AM »
to summarize the thread, hes a kook, bu the ripped and still rips

my intro to KM and my personal favourite part
http://youtu.be/6OBZcrqyt8Y?t=857
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 11:32:25 AM by Beeda Weeda »

Hardlyart

• Rep: -7
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2022, 08:43:23 AM »
Hi part in Right To Skate where he skates to Tool is incredible IMO.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2022, 03:53:16 PM »
How many full parts does this guy have?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2022, 11:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Things got a bit too salty towards the end there, but there's definitely good stories especially from the beginnings on Dogtown to later 90's.

Coincidentally, just got Art Bars VHS yesterday and his last part is still really good as it was 20 years ago.
[close]

If you're referring to Tod Swank...Its about time someone says something about him. The man is no saint.

Expand Quote
Does he bring up his proclivity to painting faces at all?
[close]

He does, Its pretty funny.[/b]

Expand Quote
Dude rips the Tampa area hard and always one of my fava growing up. Gonna be a while till I watch this though since I know it'll bum me out
[close]

It wont. The stories were really good.

Do you have a time stamp for the discussion of painting faces?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2022, 07:06:46 AM »
From memory it wasn't really a conversation about painting faces
More of a self depreciating remark by Kris Markovich

followed by a lil praise from the nine club