Author Topic: Changing Careers  (Read 240 times)

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
Changing Careers
« on: September 14, 2022, 05:17:40 PM »
In my late 20's and leaving teaching at the end of this school year (6 years in public schools) to hopefully start a machine mechanic apprenticeship at a shop where my buddy works (I'll make just below what I did teaching). I'm sick of struggling to disrupt a system that does not truly liberate anyone, least of all the marginalized, while also trying to find some meaningful, respected place within it. I'm sick of being expected to work unpaid hours preparing lesson plans, teaching curriculum that does not meet students where they are, and spending my own money on useful materials and healthy snacks for the class because the school can't provide them. I could go on but I think the problems associated with teaching in US public schools are pretty common knowledge these days.

Anybody else find themselves at points in their lives when it couldn't have been more clear to them that a change was needed? Had a job that maybe you once loved or dreamed about that turned into something that made you physically ill each morning? Or maybe became bored with what they were doing and took on a new and exciting challenge? What were you doing, and what did you end up doing instead?
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
Re: Changing Careers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 07:56:24 PM »
i went through something pretty similar recently. I was previously working as an engineer doing a "dream job" but i wasn't making a lot of money and the work environment was very stressful (good amount of turnover). ended up having a falling out with upper management and i've been pretty lost for like 9 months just processing my next career move.

i'm planning to hop back in to this career since i want to avoid being a student again at all costs but i don't really believe in dream jobs anymore unless i am working for myself or the company is really good.

Hopefully we can get a chill system like in EU but i dont expect that to happen any time soon.

If I'm not mistaken, in KR being a teacher is a really lucrative career. That said, their society is hypercompetitive.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 11:16:49 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »