Author Topic: pads and helmets  (Read 851 times)

L dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
pads and helmets
« on: September 16, 2022, 08:39:05 AM »
people who wear pads and helmets, what are your idiosyncrasies when it comes to the circumstances in which you will wear them?

for me i pretty much have my knee pads on at all times when skating a ramp. i need my knees to be healthy for work and i've gotten into the habit of kneesliding, even on mini ramps sometimes, so i pretty much can't go without them at this point. the helmet comes out when i'm skating big tranny. i don't wear elbow or wrist pads (yet).

don't skate too much street but when i do hit curbs and stuff i don't wear any.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: pads and helmets
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 10:40:31 AM »
I pretty much only wear pads when I'm about to skate large transition and I want to try learning a new trick. This rarely happens because I don't skate large transition very often and when I do I'm usually only doing slash grinds. If my wrist is fucked up I'll wear a wrist guard pretty much the whole time I'm skating, even skating street.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 11:43:58 PM »
Is there such thing as a good ambidextrous wrist guard? I could use one if so.

I also need one elbow pad for my left elbow that isn't super bulky but moderately protective still. Have this weird issue where my ulnar nerve glides across my elbow of when I bend it and experience weird nerve pain and definitely don't want to fall on it and mess it up anymore.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »
Big transition, deep bowls if I am trying anything beyond the basics I'll pad up.

But there is little  point to wearing knee pads unless the surface is smooth enough to knee slide.

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 09:50:23 AM »
no pads allowed on my ramp >:(

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 12:06:17 PM »
Pads and helmet when I skate transition at the park, but usually nothing when I skate flat ground. But I was skating at the park this morning without pads because I haven't fallen in a while, and sure enough fell on my knee hard enough to end my session.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 01:58:28 AM »
Both wrists have wristguards. I fall hard to my wrists, then tumble. Usually a left elbow pad too. Fallen on it too many times.
I’ll fully pad up to skate the mini bc I’m learning. Full pads also if I am trying something I feel I could get broken off on.
Zero fucks given on how lame I look with pads on. I’m bald and overweight…I already look silly as-is. Adding some pads makes no difference.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 05:16:41 AM »
Both wrists have wristguards. I fall hard to my wrists, then tumble. Usually a left elbow pad too. Fallen on it too many times.
I’ll fully pad up to skate the mini bc I’m learning. Full pads also if I am trying something I feel I could get broken off on.
Zero fucks given on how lame I look with pads on. I’m bald and overweight…I already look silly as-is. Adding some pads makes no difference.

Samesies!
Except I’m just starting to thin on top.
I fully look the part of mid-lifer dad tryna skate again.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 07:11:04 AM »
Please, fellow old dudes, do not stick your hands out and lock your arms when you bail. Tuck and roll. Use that front elbow pad if you have too.

Let your your upper arm and shoulder take the impact and roll, I beg of thee.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 03:37:10 AM »
Please, fellow old dudes, do not stick your hands out and lock your arms when you bail. Tuck and roll. Use that front elbow pad if you have too.

Let your your upper arm and shoulder take the impact and roll, I beg of thee.
Not a big arm-locker when it’s fall time, but if I’m going down while cruising at 0.5mph on a kickflip, I land in an almost push-up like position. Then of course I bang out a few push-ups while I’m down there before getting up.
I didn’t mention before but when I do fully pad up to try something I may eat serious shit on (frontside board sliding the park flat bar most recently) the pads come off after I am comfy doing it. I’m eyeing the 4 stair at the park for an ollie…first go will probably be fully padded.