Author Topic: B L U N T S L I D E S  (Read 1958 times)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
B L U N T S L I D E S
« on: September 16, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »
Hello, please help your friend mattchew learn how to bluntslide on a ledge. Never really tried them before but am going to this evening.

I’m thinking either regular backside or fakie frontside out to regular (basically doing a bs halfcab) will be the most natural feeling for me.

Any tips are greatly appreciated as I am scared and don’t know anything about anything.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
Re: B L U N T S L I D E S
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 09:09:51 AM »
this works for me

(  : :  \      : :  /)

im regs

start by popping a bit higher than the ledge and scoot a lil powerslide on your back wheels, but be damn sure to force that back foot down, try to lock the tail in on the edge of the ledge. take note of the angle of the board on other peoples bluntslides and try to mimic

do that over and over til the slide comes along, popping out to regs you just lean forward til your wheels catch a bit, kind of like a tail/back tail, itll assist you on the way out

or go full macho man and snap an ollie out

oh and butter that biscuit up, bring your wax

post a pic or the ledge!

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 10:07:40 AM »
Wow that diagram is genius. Big help.

Ledge is very much not chill, there’s an 8’ bowl on the other side, sucks for the fear factor but more so because my board is bound to fall in basically every try.

This is a clip of me doing a fakie nosegrind on them:

https://imgur.com/a/OO6LqQq

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 11:10:14 AM »
patent pending

that line was crazy hell yeah mattchew

as for your board on the run, just land it first t  ;)

switchfakie

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 07:42:05 AM »
whichever 5-0 is easier for you, that bluntslide will be easier

i.e. back 5-0 is easier for me & back blunt is easier for me

its the same as a 5-0 just turn your shoulders. fr dog

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 05:09:22 AM »

Not true if you always slightly turn your fs 5-0s away from the ledge.
I find bs blunts and fs 5-0s a lot easier

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:34:20 AM »

Tried these and got a little bit of a slide with a weak lock in. Was probably aiming too far ahead, should have popped and tried to lock in direct parallel behind me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 08:01:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not true if you always slightly turn your fs 5-0s away from the ledge.
I find bs blunts and fs 5-0s a lot easier

That's funny I'm the opposite. I got back 5-0 dialed and find front blunts much easier (on ledges). I got front 5-0 good too, but back blunts are always a little bit more intimidating to commit to (on ledges).

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 01:27:16 PM »
I've never met anyone who thinks a regular bluntslide is harder than a frontside bluntslide.  Especially if you are thinking about popping out mid ledge.  I wouldn't even mess with frontside at all until backside is really comfortable.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 03:58:06 PM »
I can bluntslide super easy on curbs and small ledges, basically just scoop it up there.
How do I take it to bigger ones, let's say knee high? Seems like a completely different trick with huge risk, having to actually ollie high and put it on the edge.

Is it just mental? Any help?

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 06:19:01 PM »
I've never met anyone who thinks a regular bluntslide is harder than a frontside bluntslide.  Especially if you are thinking about popping out mid ledge.  I wouldn't even mess with frontside at all until backside is really comfortable.

Never done a bs blunt on a ledge. Banks and transition are fine, but as soon as I try ollie into one my body doesn't know what to do. That moment you're going sideways and the board is going the other way feels terrible.

Front blunt has always made sense to me. It's like how front board feels easier than a bs boardslide.

Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 06:40:09 PM »
Whoops, never came back to this thread.

I rolled  up backside a few times but wasnt feeling it, tried three frontside blunts because that felt more natural: one fell into the bowl, one I didn’t pop high enough and my truck locked into to a super tweaked suski but it wasn’t cool, and one had a good screech to it then fell into the bowl.

My knee has been out of whack the last two weeks but I’m gonna skate tomorrow and if it’s feeling okay I’ll try some more. I have 5-0’s pretty well but I do not think this one is going to come quickly, but hopefully I’m wrong. Locking in is scary and what’s my exit plan? Yeesh. It just all feels so uncertain :'(

switchfakie

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 09:41:26 PM »
Whoops, never came back to this thread.

I rolled  up backside a few times but wasnt feeling it, tried three frontside blunts because that felt more natural: one fell into the bowl, one I didn’t pop high enough and my truck locked into to a super tweaked suski but it wasn’t cool, and one had a good screech to it then fell into the bowl.

My knee has been out of whack the last two weeks but I’m gonna skate tomorrow and if it’s feeling okay I’ll try some more. I have 5-0’s pretty well but I do not think this one is going to come quickly, but hopefully I’m wrong. Locking in is scary and what’s my exit plan? Yeesh. It just all feels so uncertain :'(

dont be a noobie you boobie, git gud

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 06:42:52 AM »

I think it has to do with the angle of approach. For frontside I'm rolling up near parallel to the ledge much like a front board, but for backside I approach at a bit of an angle. Transferring my momentum from the angle of approach to the direction of slide is a little bit more difficult for backside bluntslides. If I don't get it right my board shoots out to the side perpendicular to the direction I should be sliding. It takes a little bit more focus and commitment to land in that position. Frontside just goes, and I learned it before backside so that helps too. Both are fun.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 07:33:03 AM »
i'm trying to learn front blunt slides on transition now. for street, probably not helpful but some experience shares

- i knocked myself out on a front blunt that slipped out on me. feels like you want to lean over the ledge to avoid that but not sure, never tried it on a ledge again after that
- they are pretty easy on parking blocks. if you don't have them figured out there yet you might want to get those dialed in first.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 11:03:27 AM »

My front blunts on ledges are way better than my back blunts. Know a lot of people also in the same boat

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 01:44:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never done a bs blunt on a ledge. Banks and transition are fine, but as soon as I try ollie into one my body doesn't know what to do. That moment you're going sideways and the board is going the other way feels terrible.

Front blunt has always made sense to me. It's like how front board feels easier than a bs boardslide.
I have also never really known anyone who thought a front board is easier than a regular boardslide.  Its why a front board on a big rail is still legit whereas backside not so much.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 01:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I have also never really known anyone who thought a front board is easier than a regular boardslide.  Its why a front board on a big rail is still legit whereas backside not so much.

Sometimes I feel that I can do a short front board better and with less effort than a short back board on a flatbar. Different story once you're on a big rail/trying to hold them for a long time.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »
Didn’t even end up trying one tonight, next session for sure though. Tried back 5050 front shove out a bunch instead, came close once, but mostly my board kept flipping—awful.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2022, 09:27:50 AM »
- i knocked myself out on a front blunt that slipped out on me. feels like you want to lean over the ledge to avoid that but not sure, never tried it on a ledge again after that
- they are pretty easy on parking blocks. if you don't have them figured out there yet you might want to get those dialed in first.

This actually just happened to me today, after I had read your post in the morning. Didn't literally KO myself, but split my chin open slamming and smacking it on the ground. Seems like it's prone to happen pretty quickly with that trick, which makes sense, you have all of your weight over the back truck and trust is what makes it so when you eat shit you have particularly little time to see it coming. In my case it was on a small parking block/curb and then into a small bank, it's on the rollaway down the bank with my shoulders positioned as if I wanted to take it to fakie that got me. Literally the attempt right after my first make, ten minutes into the session, too. It's funny because your post actually motivated me to go hit that spot and try a front blunt (I never really do them otherwise, but am increasingly tempted) and got served in pretty much the exact way you described. Considered going home because of the bleeding but eventually decided to keep skating for the rest of the day (just not try that trick again), had fun but my shirt didn't like it so much.

Rambling but that also triggered memories of one of my first ever recollection of a local skater and crew session, after I stopped skating in front of my parents' house and started hitting the local plaza in my early teens. It has all those perfect ledges, but with a rounded top. One local who at the time already was mentally far gone but also amazing at skating (I've literally never seen anyone with as much pop, and I've seen a lot of people skate) was trying frontside bluntslides on them which is nearly impossible by design and also slipped out, hit his jaw and started bleeding. Except he didn't even notice (I suspect he was under the influence of something and he must not have felt any pain at all), skated back to the end of the queue, then went for it again and the exact same slam happened again. People had to tell him to stop trying or he would have kept going.

Backside feels a lot safer depending on the obstacle. I also don't really do them (and on anything tall feels too scary) but lately I've been enjoying them on parking blocks going over, or low curbs where you can kind of slappy into them, they kind of just work then. It's an interesting trick to learn on basic stuff then maybe learn how to take further.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2022, 01:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This actually just happened to me today, after I had read your post in the morning. Didn't literally KO myself, but split my chin open slamming and smacking it on the ground. Seems like it's prone to happen pretty quickly with that trick, which makes sense, you have all of your weight over the back truck and trust is what makes it so when you eat shit you have particularly little time to see it coming. In my case it was on a small parking block/curb and then into a small bank, it's on the rollaway down the bank with my shoulders positioned as if I wanted to take it to fakie that got me. Literally the attempt right after my first make, ten minutes into the session, too. It's funny because your post actually motivated me to go hit that spot and try a front blunt (I never really do them otherwise, but am increasingly tempted) and got served in pretty much the exact way you described. Considered going home because of the bleeding but eventually decided to keep skating for the rest of the day (just not try that trick again), had fun but my shirt didn't like it so much.

Rambling but that also triggered memories of one of my first ever recollection of a local skater and crew session, after I stopped skating in front of my parents' house and started hitting the local plaza in my early teens. It has all those perfect ledges, but with a rounded top. One local who at the time already was mentally far gone but also amazing at skating (I've literally never seen anyone with as much pop, and I've seen a lot of people skate) was trying frontside bluntslides on them which is nearly impossible by design and also slipped out, hit his jaw and started bleeding. Except he didn't even notice (I suspect he was under the influence of something and he must not have felt any pain at all), skated back to the end of the queue, then went for it again and the exact same slam happened again. People had to tell him to stop trying or he would have kept going.

Backside feels a lot safer depending on the obstacle. I also don't really do them (and on anything tall feels too scary) but lately I've been enjoying them on parking blocks going over, or low curbs where you can kind of slappy into them, they kind of just work then. It's an interesting trick to learn on basic stuff then maybe learn how to take further.

sorry to hear that. it a brutal slip out.

i was playing around with them on flat bars years back and i found that i got bodied pretty hard on back blunt on the flat bar if i got a bad lock in that stuck while front blunt seemed easier to avoid that with on flat bars. i'm guessing the gnar factor changes a good bit with the obstacle. i seem to find my way into all the slams with these tricks though.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2022, 11:56:18 AM »
Nice to meet you. Got front blunts pretty much dialed for years, only done a handful of bs bluntslides.
But yeah, popping out is a different thing all together (even though it’d be more likely for me personally pop out of a fs bluntslide)

alt dumb shit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2023, 07:28:21 AM »
anyone feel like expanding on back bluntslides on curbs? been trying it for a while now and one in 10 will slide properly, but i cant seem to pinpoint what im doing right when it happens. i've been approaching it like i would a back crook or back smith, where your center of gravity feels like its 4 feet behind the actual board, but im starting to suspect its more a matter of where i put the weight on or off the top of the curb (to the left or right, as i'm regular on top would be further left and off would be further right)? should i be trying to put my weight completely on the edge of the curb?

cheers

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2023, 01:18:15 PM »
Bumping this one - I know this thread was initially about bluntslides on ledges, any tips for flatbars? I am always sticking like crazy when I try to lock in.