Author Topic: post your rainkits  (Read 533 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
post your rainkits
« on: September 16, 2022, 03:08:42 PM »
i live in a very wet area where it rains like half a year and i'm now trying to do the adult thing and actually get a good rainkit. mainly i'm looking for shoes and a shell. i have some pretty bad pants, but they really do the job. i was looking at shells by north face, patagonia, uniqlo, and montbell, among others, and so far i like montbell the best. someone on here who was also a big hiker mentioned montbell as being pretty good. and then i was thinking of some merrell moab goretex trainers.

but i have no clue about this stuff, and as a proud member of the proletariat my funds are severly limited and i'd still like to get my money's worth.

so what are your favorite items or brands that have kept you dry and warm over the years? trying to get some inspiration going. tomorrow i will get some reproofer first to fix up what i have. i have this army surplus rainshell thing, but after years of usage it just soaks water in now.

also, it rains hard here. this is not a drizzle town. shit's coming down fr. i'd rather spend more once on something sturdy than go the cheapo route and regret it in the end.

LUGR

• Rep: 47
Re: post your rainkits
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 06:49:01 PM »
XtraTuf 6 in Ankle Deck Boot for shoes.

Gore-Tex everything else.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 07:38:20 PM »
showers pass is the ill shit. i couldn’t swing it when i worked outside but all my rich homies swear by them

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 08:03:53 PM »
it also rains 1/2 the year here, or it's supposed to but you know, climate change is fuked and real and the temperate rain forest aint so rainy... regardless it's pretty damn wet most of the time from late september to may.

the first few years i lived here i tried getting away with being a cheapskate or lazy ass, wearing sneakers and my hoodie. doesn't work out.

i lucked out and found a pataguccia rain shell on the sidewalk and snatched it up before someone came to claim it. it's a size bigger than i need but i can throw on anything underneath. it's indispensable. light weight, rolls into a tight ball, and has a really dope hood. sometimes you can find em for like a hundred USD. any of the lightweight rain shells are gonna be good though. Patagonia has the best warranty/repair policy imo.

for footwear, 2 winters ago i picked up a pair of Xtra Tuff 15" legacy boots. they're spendy, but here you can find em on craigslist sometimes for 80 bucks or so, which is what i did. while 15" is tall, since they're neoprene you can just fold em down to whatever height you want and look like a pirate or someshit. they're easy on and easy off, size up so you can wear wool socks and they're the best winter wet boots EVER. they've got great grip as they're designed for wear on commercial fishing boats.

rain paints, well, i don't really fuck with em too much, but you don't really need to go super spendy since they're just a slide on over the regular pants thing.

go with wool under layers and socks, get the good shit, and it wicks water really well, doesn't stink, and is anti-microbial.

i used to know people who live in the forest, doing forest activist/defense shit year round. people literally sleeping in trees, logs, on the ground, etc and that's pretty commonly their rain gear kit. they're all broke as fuck because they don't have payng "jobs" but they don't cheap on this shit
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 08:16:44 PM »
Northface is my shit for water repellent coats.

Trying to find a good shoe, wanted Vans MTE 3s but no luck

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 02:10:38 AM »
xtra tuffs look pretty good! i wanted something more sporty, like a trail runner, but these will do the job for sure.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 04:15:46 AM »
Swear it's rained at least 2/3 of this year in West Sydney. Never had to think about it before but now all I can say is if you get a waterproof jacket get some waterproof pants or put on some board shorts. The jacket pretty much will just redirect all the water onto your legs.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »

footwear
  • the non-insulated neos villager overshoes are awesome and will keep your shoes / feet dry through heavy downpours. they are nice because you can toss them in a backpack and travel with them as they lay flat. i had a pair i used for years for rain skating (just added some shoe goo to the ollie section).
  • converse chuck taylor rain boot sneakers are decent for quick moments in the rain, but won't keep your feet fully dry for extended periods (multiple hours).
  • i tried out some osiris mountain edition / snow skate type shoes that were "water resistant". they let way too much water in. i assume they are comparable to the vans / dc shoes that advertise water resistance. "waterproof" is the key word you want.
  • i haven't put them to the full downpour skate test, but my current goto for adventuring in the rain are some kamik mid winter boots. probably not a good pick for warmer climates.
pants / jacket
  • i've had a lot of luck with the $60 (usd) rei rain pants. they are breathable which is key. don't waste money on non breathable pants, you'll sweat.
  • goretex - been through a lot of different rain jackets and the ones with goretex ones always did a much better job than those without. eventually it loses its effectiveness, so using a nikwax wash / application kit will restore the water-repellency and breathability.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:30:40 AM by tkp »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 11:10:40 AM »

• the non-insulated neos villager overshoes are awesome and will keep your shoes / feet dry through heavy downpours. they are nice because you can toss them in a backpack and travel with them as they lay flat. i had a pair i used for years for rain skating (just added some shoe goo to the ollie section).
    and breathability.[/li][/list]

Doubling down on the Neos support. I sometimes have to work outside in the rain for anywhere between 8-14+ hrs at a time. The Neos help keep my feet super dry. Almost everyone at work has a pair

I have a few pairs of waterproof boots from Hoka, Irish Setter, Danner, and Timberland. The Hokas are the most comfortable but grip the least. The Irish Setters are the least comfortable but grip the best and are great for when it’s cold and raining

For heavy rain I have a Carhartt Storm Defender jacket and a pair of the matching overalls. I tend to wear one of their water resistant sweatshirts underneath just in case some water gets in. Mine are the uninsulated version and are still relatively warm for what’s considered cold rain in southern California. If you’re somewhere colder the insulated one might be clutch

For lighter rain I have a jacket and pants from REI. They’re just as good as almost any other brand but tend to cost significantly less

Something I learned from working outside in the rain; eventually water finds a way to get in. If you’re going to be outside for extended periods of time it’s beneficial to have backup clothes and rain gear. I got a free North Face backpack cooler backpack that I keep most of my stuff in. I used to use a 5 gallon bucket

Anyone have waterproof glove recommendations that aren’t bulky?
    fuck you bama

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
    • SLAP Pal
    • Rep: 1392
    • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 11:57:12 AM »
    xtra tuffs look pretty good! i wanted something more sporty, like a trail runner, but these will do the job for sure.

In my experience, trail runners get soaked at some point. Step in a puddle, you're done. The xtra tuff boots, the only way you're getting wet is if water goes in over the top... I've got fickle feet and love em.
    Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Frank

• Mods
    • SLAP Pal
    « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 06:16:59 PM »
    @tkp those neos overshoes are pretty intriguing. have you ever cycled in them? my only concern would be that they might be too fat for that...

those and the xtratuffs seem pretty awesome and they are not that expensive.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
    • Rep: 515
      • shop lurker avatar image
    • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    « Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 08:07:56 PM »
    @tkp those neos overshoes are pretty intriguing. have you ever cycled in them? my only concern would be that they might be too fat for that...

those and the xtratuffs seem pretty awesome and they are not that expensive.

i have biked in them on a road bike with a plastic cage and they worked well. i just had to loosen up the adjustable strap to fit them in as compared just using a shoe. no issue of the overshoe touching the frame when pedaling