Author Topic: How long do your skate shoes last?  (Read 2415 times)

MorningSesh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 75
Re: How long do your skate shoes last?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2022, 12:20:07 PM »
I have used DKL non abrasive rubber grip for over a year now. I rarely pop and do not flip but many have kickflipped my deck to test the grip out.

As far as preserving your shoes it works. The grip wears down before your shoes loosing its texture only at the point the front foot pivots. That wearing down happens faster in summer. Once worn down the grip is still skateable.
I live in a dusty dry desert and often need to clean grip with water and rag to make it grippy again.
2020-2021 DKL grip is less grippy than Jessup.
Rubber grip has caused me one serious injury too my front/left foot having it slip off bs carving a vertical wall. Foot/leg rolled under body and the tendon at the first pinky toe was over extended. Took a month to heal.
Installing is easy, just make sure you get it down right the first time as DKL does not liked to be stretched much.
I find it best to fully cut out hardware hole so the screw does not pull on the grip.
I also like filing the grip edge down a bit before cutting it back.
As DKL recommends insetting grip by .25 is a must. Keep a sharp blade good and flat and work it around a couple times. I cut a tiny bit less in the pocket areas by keeping blade more vertical.

I have been debating switching back to abrasive grip for transition. I do love skating barefoot though so I am torn. I could run two decks but so far I like having only one setup for everything.
I bought a few pairs of DKL grip thinking it would save me so much money and pretty quickly went back to abrasive grip. I appreciate the recommendation but that shit sucks imo unless you exclusively skate some squeaky clean indoor skate park or something.It loses grip too fast and last thing you need is not feeling enough grip on your board when you’re trying something scary. It really sucks and I’m bummed i wasted money on it, would not recommend for anyone.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2022, 01:33:22 AM »
I usually skate either the CONS CTAS Highs or Vans Sk8 Hi's (not the pro edition).
Since I mostly skate transition and rarely do any flip tricks, these shoes last me between 3-4 months.

I prefer the shoes when they're almost done. I hate breaking in new shoes, especially Vans are a pain to break in, but after 3-4 sessions they feel good. But after 1-2 months they feel but do not smell perfect.

On the CONS I use shoegoo on my flicking foot, Vans don't need it. Never ripped a hole in the upper of a Sk8 Hi

disclosed

• Rep: 172
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2022, 08:13:42 AM »
about 6 months. shoe goo and patching up the holes the moment they're about the appear, not after, allways before!
end up switching when i go through the soles. shoes are expensive, and i hate new shoes. i dont get how people can get new shoes every month when it takes me almost a month to even feel good in new shoes.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -294
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2022, 08:56:58 AM »
Just laced up a fresh pair of Crockett 2's this past Sunday. My last pair of shoes (Brad Cromer's second pro Huf shoe, which I've had for like 4 years lol) still had some life in them after two months of skating 4-5 times per week for multiple hours each session. I flip my board a lot too and skate switch so both shoes get pretty equal wear. The sole wasn't completely bald,  but I could feel my foot slipping when I pushed. I hadn't ripped thru the leather upper yet either, but toes were really worn down from flicking and the sides were developing a small hole. Probably could've gotten another week or two out of them, but it was time to move on. My board was toast and the shoes were about done too so I called it and set up a new board/new shoes combo. The Vans are taking a little longer to break in than I'd like, but once they do the shoes skate great.
So about two months lol.