Author Topic: where is the line drawn between a frontside grind and a stand up grind?  (Read 961 times)

L dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
so obviously you got a legit stand up grind like this one from chris russel, body almost fully upright and totally out of the bowl:

eng to viet

and then at the other end of the spectrum you got the classic front slash grind where most of his body is actually below the coping:

font keyboard

but somewhere in between these two you have grinds like this one by peter hewitt where his he's not standing upright yet his body is fully out of the bowl.

so do you classify the hewitt shot as a stand up grind or is that just a standard frontside grind?

v.2.0.0.1

• Rep: 0
Re: where is the line drawn between a frontside grind and a stand up grind?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 03:36:50 PM »
I dunno but I consider the Russell and Hewitt both as frontside grinds if that makes any sense. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 08:17:36 PM »
Back truck above arse =  Slash
Back truck below arse = Stand up
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:04:10 PM by Frank and Fred »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:26:16 PM »
A photo is not always indicative of which grind it is, stand up you travel on the deck.  While we’re talking frontside… I’m nit picky how people just don’t say frontside grind, they say slash which to me implies the arc, or sliding in.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 12:00:13 AM »
The Hewitt photo is a weird one tho because of the unique double coping. Don't think he could get anymore upright and still have the truck locked in properly. I normally also think of standup grind as how you would grind a ledge so locked in against the heel wheel and toe wheel rolling on the platform but there's probably a billion times where this isn't the case (perfect example being the Russel photo, but he's going around a corner)

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 05:01:20 AM »
Back truck above arse =  Slash
Back truck below arse = Stand up
Thats a great take on it.
I was thinking something like, if you take the speed out the equation, would the skater stand or fall?
I've got no idea how to actually separate them, I'm just dropping thoughts.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 06:25:31 PM »
   I dunno dudes.  Frontside grinds where people stood up on them got called fuckin frontside grinds for 25 years and we're gonna start going back to the 80s name cause of the Grosso show?  thats pretentious, sorry.  I was tic tacn' and grinding curbs back then fool.  Besides none of the photos above look like the ones that got labeled 'stand up' back in the 80s.  Those ones were like fully stand up with a wheel riding on the deck, tail down.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 07:52:39 AM »
I filmed myself doing some "fs grinds" on the local concrete noping and they looked so bad I almost wanted to cry. Couldn't be any more in the ramp doing a scratchy kick turn essentially. I should just get up on top and do a fs pivot like a man cause that shit doesn't really grind anyway.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 04:07:04 PM »
stand up is when you're standing up with your toe side wheel rolling on the deck like a pivot, slash grind is basically a kickturn but you're grinding, frontside grind could be both of those or anything in between, also it doesn't really matter. I've heard street skaters call frontside 5050s frontside grinds these days so I think nomenclature is up to personal interpretation

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?