Author Topic: Louie, Again & Again - FA Part  (Read 12613 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Louie, Again & Again - FA Part
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2022, 04:40:12 PM »
Oh... okay. Now I understand why you guys are so hyped on this guy. This really snapped it into perspective for me.

I love his grinds into instantly doing something out of said grind... like on that dumpster. Dude makes big stuff look small and small stuff look big. Great trick selection, and I love how he is "skateboarding" into his tricks, not just riding up to an obstacle just to do a trick. Like when he cut that corner with the metal sheets on it, and he sort of ollies into it like its a bank? Does so much for that next tricks. Its hard to explain.

Great editing and music on this one. It was so hard to fully enjoy his Spitfire part with that cheesey 1970s action movie trailer music going on. It was so distracting. It wasn't bad music, or even bad skate part music... just didn't feel like it always fit with the clips in his part. Like, I kinda dug it... but again, it was distracting. Certainly was a memorable song choice though, haha.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

billyerlife

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2022, 04:57:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Meh. Just because you put out a bunch of footage with good tricks and good style doesn't mean you're good at skating.
[close]

Your saying this about a dude with countless nbd's.
Expand Quote
Meh. Just because you put out a bunch of footage with good tricks and good style doesn't mean you're good at skating.
[close]

How would you define good skating outside of style and trick selection?

This made reading this whole thread worth it. Thank you Stephop.

Someone else mentioned it, feeble grind and then kickflip the street gap was Mike Carroll levels of elegance. I could watch that all day.

disintegration

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -113
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2022, 05:18:09 PM »
Obviously an incredible skater and his content out-put is maybe the highest in the game but not sure this was a soty defining part if thats what they are going for. Last trick was nutty though.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2022, 05:24:42 PM »
louie is amazing but this style editing takes away from the skating imo

and that long bluntslide looked so nice

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »
take a second and think about what you just said

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »
Very contrivedly shooting for SOTY . Fuck , he rips though .

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2022, 06:05:58 PM »
More like LLPZ

ProjectBluebeam

• Rep: 59
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2022, 06:49:09 PM »
ender was next level

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2022, 07:18:41 PM »
I like how ollies are cool again

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2022, 08:17:46 PM »
I think Louie is a victim of what I the 90s we called "The Pat Channita Effect", he's just so fucking good and so smooth that it can make him doing the hardest shit look a bit too easy and even boring. I didn't really feel that about this part though, there were a lot of shockers in there, feeble to street gap was bonkers. I really liked the song but it felt a bit mellow for the skating to me, like the sort of song you'd edit enders to after a 3-4 minute heavier song to build some momentum but alas I am old and grew up in an era where that was the done thing. I would like to see him get SOTY just cos I think it would maybe elevate him to being regarded as the best by everyone whereas atm I think he slips under the radar with a lot of people maybe.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2022, 08:30:06 PM »
If he makes stair sets cool again hand him SOTY for the next 3 years in a row.

That rocket nollie heel down a 9 was not cool

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2022, 08:33:08 PM »
The sound of the bluntslide is so nice.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2022, 09:11:22 PM »
3 flip manual was so rad. Trick selection on point, as per usual

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2022, 11:52:48 PM »
Now the 360 flip manny was some hair-ball shit, even made that looks easy. The nosegrind front shuv off the bannister would have been the ender. I have no problem with Louie as a SoTY, just would be nice to see him focus a board here and there out of frustration. If he can do all this shit with a smile imagine the shit he could pull if he was truly battling some shit. I wanna see dirty shirt, bloody palms Louie, flipping picnic tables over and shit. Then he's SoTY all day.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2022, 12:57:47 AM »

This is so amazing!

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2022, 01:37:50 AM »
He’s without a single flaw

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2022, 01:59:49 AM »
I'm a bit woozy in the head so I'm going to keep thinking that just I dreamed of the people criticising this or that in the first pages of this thread. Amazing part.

With all the crazy shit (the bs 5-o fs 180 out on the tall rail :o), the trick I loved on first watch most was the ever so slight pop out to fakie on the quick fs noseslide before going down the stairs. He's just got it.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2022, 02:48:13 AM »
pretty sure there's gonna be a cons vid by the end of the year. seems like louie, brian o'dwyer, erik herrera, sage, bdk, and ibu sanyang have been filming a shit ton. gonna be heavy
can confirm that a video is planned for last quarter

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2022, 02:52:50 AM »
alright that was amazing. loved the ender. i don’t love all the top tier soty type skaters, but louie is one i’ll always be hyped on.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2022, 03:56:53 AM »
Even in my dreams I don't skate that good. Ender was fucked.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2022, 04:05:07 AM »
tangental to the video, but relevant to the soty chat:

am i the only one who thinks it's weird that people seem to think mark suciu somehow created the precedent for putting a lot of footage and winning soty?

foy put out four parts in 2017 (if you count his am scramble footage as a part) mason did the same in 2020. milton's 'single part' win in 2019 was an 11 minute part...

tyshawn's the only dude from the last half decade to win off a vaguely normal amount of footie. even then, he had a two song part plus an extra part.

going back further mj in 2007 was a triple length part and silas had a mountain of footy in '08, right?

if the incentive of soty makes top dudes film like crazy, i'm all for it. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 06:27:06 AM by Arto!Arto!WakeUp! »

FuzzGNU

« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2022, 04:51:18 AM »

am i the only one who thinks it's weird that people seem to think mark suciu somehow created the precedent for putting a lot of footage and winning soty?

foy put out four parts in 2017 (if you count his am scramble footage as a part) mason did the same in 2020. milton's 'single part' win in 2019 was an 11 minute part...

tyshawn's the only dude from the last half decade to win off a vaguely normal amount of footie. even then, he had a two song part plus an extra part.

I agree 100% with this.

However, you have to admit that things like the timing of footage release are very contrived. You can tell when someone is specifically gunning for it in a way that I don't feel is in the spirit of the award. Doesn't feel in the spirit of street skating.

I like that it creates more of a meritocracy than the Thrasher guys just going "oh man I saw this guy skate in person, so he gets SOTY" like they often did in the 2010s. Milton Martinez very much felt like that (I still think he deserved it, but you know what I mean).

But there is something to be said about maintaining that essence of street skateboarding and not making it be some career-driven achievement like us Millennials have been manipulated by our whole lives. It's okay to fight back against that idea of objective achievement and have some subjective enjoyment/vibes driving it as well.

We should celebrate fighting back against this Capitalist career achiever mentality, while also celebrating guys like Suciu who put two years straight into giving us an avalanche of top tier skating in pursuit of the award.

There needs to be a balance or it will devolve into giving that same feeling that contest skating often gives us. That very fake facade that comes with objectivity and being driven by achievement rather than being driven by self-expression, the joy of skateboarding, and the joy of saying "fuck you and your award".

My favorite contest runs are when people spit in the face of the contest. When people join the contest just to rebel against it. I want a skater to do that against SOTY.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2022, 04:58:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
take a second and think about what you just said
How are so many people not getting this obvious sarcasm

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 96
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2022, 05:01:34 AM »
you guys caring this much about soty is jockish, finding ways to complain about a skater dropping huge amounts of footage in their prime.

"i want all the louie footage i can get but not like this!!!!"

thrasher is barely cool anymore anyways, just a nice place to drop video parts for companies for some easy broad marketing.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2022, 05:23:15 AM »
you guys caring this much about soty is jockish, finding ways to complain about a skater dropping huge amounts of footage in their prime.

thrasher is barely cool anymore anyways, just a nice place to drop video parts for companies for some easy broad marketing.

No one is complaining. People are just pointing out the trend of people really gunning for parts the past few years. It would be cool to see someone who doesn't give a fuck to win it as well to remind people to not be so spazzed out about SOTY and just enjoy skateboarding.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2022, 06:14:48 AM »
Maybe the prize can be split in halves like nobel prizes.
Can't wait for T-Funks nobel lecture

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2022, 06:23:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree 100% with this.

However, you have to admit that things like the timing of footage release are very contrived. You can tell when someone is specifically gunning for it in a way that I don't feel is in the spirit of the award. Doesn't feel in the spirit of street skating.

I like that it creates more of a meritocracy than the Thrasher guys just going "oh man I saw this guy skate in person, so he gets SOTY" like they often did in the 2010s. Milton Martinez very much felt like that (I still think he deserved it, but you know what I mean).

But there is something to be said about maintaining that essence of street skateboarding and not making it be some career-driven achievement like us Millennials have been manipulated by our whole lives. It's okay to fight back against that idea of objective achievement and have some subjective enjoyment/vibes driving it as well.

We should celebrate fighting back against this Capitalist career achiever mentality, while also celebrating guys like Suciu who put two years straight into giving us an avalanche of top tier skating in pursuit of the award.

There needs to be a balance or it will devolve into giving that same feeling that contest skating often gives us. That very fake facade that comes with objectivity and being driven by achievement rather than being driven by self-expression, the joy of skateboarding, and the joy of saying "fuck you and your award".

My favorite contest runs are when people spit in the face of the contest. When people join the contest just to rebel against it. I want a skater to do that against SOTY.

i don't disagree with the spirit of what you're saying at all, but there's a certain irony in that back when soty felt like less of a competition, performance in competitions was actually a bigger factor in winning. feel like BA and Senn (probably amongst others) got it partly for doing really well on the circuit.

nowadays, no one is going to get it off the back of dominating street league or whatever.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2022, 07:04:18 AM »

Damn Stu, DeeDee must not be putting out

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2022, 07:07:23 AM »
 good shit

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2022, 08:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree 100% with this.

Johnny Wilson did it in a way when he dropped John’s Vid right after soty or on the same day.