Author Topic: Louie, Again & Again - FA Part  (Read 12602 times)

YawnJawns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Louie, Again & Again - FA Part
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2022, 10:15:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Meh. Just because you put out a bunch of footage with good tricks and good style doesn't mean you're good at skating.
[close]
take a second and think about what you just said
[close]
How are so many people not getting this obvious sarcasm
My thoughts exactly.
Prime example of ugly on the inside, ugly on the outside.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »
i don't disagree with the spirit of what you're saying at all, but there's a certain irony in that back when soty felt like less of a competition, performance in competitions was actually a bigger factor in winning. feel like BA and Senn (probably amongst others) got it partly for doing really well on the circuit.

nowadays, no one is going to get it off the back of dominating street league or whatever.

That's true, that is a good change that has happened for sure considering how corporate and awful most contests have become (Dew Tour being among the worst).

There were actually *some* cool contests back then. Now there aren't many straight up contests that don't suck anymore besides maybe for Vert? Seems like people are starting to mess with the formula a bit though, so that's good.

I could see something like Dime Glory Challenge, Copenhagen Open, Halloween Hellbomb, FA Hollywood Skate Jam (and to a lesser extent Vans Showdown) all contributing to building the legend of a SOTY type year. We need more cool events like those, for real. Those weird non-contests/semi-contests. Not quite a demo, not quite a contest, just skateboarding and having a great time.

Would be really cool to see someone win not just because of some scheduled part releases, but because of them just showing up places and doing cool shit for the love of skateboarding.

Johnny Wilson did it in a way when he dropped John’s Vid right after soty or on the same day. 

Good point. Even more reason to love that crew of skaters.

EDIT: God, now I'm imagining someone doing some SOTY-style clip stacking... they have their 3-5 parts for all their different sponsors (or for whatever Youtube VM's) and they literally hold the parts and release them all on the same day, the day after SOTY is announced.

idunno, would be pretty funny to me
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 03:27:15 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »
he's one of the best to ever do it and this video is a testament of his style, finesse and the grace (yes, i said grace) he is able to skate with, even though he is oh so fast. look at all the clips and vids he has given to the skate community so far in his career and just be thankful that we'll see more of it this year. i dont care if this is the hardest or easiest or gnarliest or blabla work he has ever put in, it's louie god damn lopez and i'm gonna be thrilled when he gets soty. just imagine the trip video.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2022, 03:23:39 PM »
also no to the 50-50 bs flip out.

that was like my fav trick in that whole thing! Upcycling dad tricks builds character.

backspinflip

• Rep: -28
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2022, 03:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
tangental to the video, but relevant to the soty chat:

am i the only one who thinks it's weird that people seem to think mark suciu somehow created the precedent for putting a lot of footage and winning soty?

foy put out four parts in 2017 (if you count his am scramble footage as a part) mason did the same in 2020. milton's 'single part' win in 2019 was an 11 minute part...

tyshawn's the only dude from the last half decade to win off a vaguely normal amount of footie. even then, he had a two song part plus an extra part.

if the incentive of soty makes top dudes film like crazy, i'm all for it.
[close]

I agree 100% with this.

However, you have to admit that things like the timing of footage release are very contrived. You can tell when someone is specifically gunning for it in a way that I don't feel is in the spirit of the award. Doesn't feel in the spirit of street skating.

I like that it creates more of a meritocracy than the Thrasher guys just going "oh man I saw this guy skate in person, so he gets SOTY" like they often did in the 2010s. Milton Martinez very much felt like that (I still think he deserved it, but you know what I mean).

But there is something to be said about maintaining that essence of street skateboarding and not making it be some career-driven achievement like us Millennials have been manipulated by our whole lives. It's okay to fight back against that idea of objective achievement and have some subjective enjoyment/vibes driving it as well.

We should celebrate fighting back against this Capitalist career achiever mentality, while also celebrating guys like Suciu who put two years straight into giving us an avalanche of top tier skating in pursuit of the award.

There needs to be a balance or it will devolve into giving that same feeling that contest skating often gives us. That very fake facade that comes with objectivity and being driven by achievement rather than being driven by self-expression, the joy of skateboarding, and the joy of saying "fuck you and your award".

My favorite contest runs are when people spit in the face of the contest. When people join the contest just to rebel against it. I want a skater to do that against SOTY.
[close]

Johnny Wilson did it in a way when he dropped John’s Vid right after soty or on the same day.

right, cause any of those guys were serious contenders  ::)

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2022, 03:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote
also no to the 50-50 bs flip out.
[close]

that was like my fav trick in that whole thing! Upcycling dad tricks builds character.

the pop out, the way he did it, *chefs kiss*

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »
Where was that thrasher cover trick thing? Another part?

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2022, 04:23:30 PM »
Where was that thrasher cover trick thing? Another part?
nope, which leads me more into believing this is his “warmup part” like suciu’s habitat one last year. he probably has something insane coming out for cons or spitfire last minute. crazy how spitfire parts have seemed to be the bigger ones between mason & mark  the last couple of years but, also not crazy since it’s dlxsf and the best wheel company.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »
Louie goes in the elite category with tyshawn and ishod, where they’re “too damn good.” If this is a campaign for SOTY I back it

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »
Louie goes in the elite category with tyshawn and ishod, where they’re “too damn good.” If this is a campaign for SOTY I back it

Agree with him earning his spot among TJ and Ishod. He has it!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2022, 09:50:45 PM »
How is him doing one trick without a hat (for the first time?) not getting more notice?!

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2022, 01:43:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree with him earning his spot among TJ and Ishod. He has it!

This is where  he belongs to - the kings table!

If you don’t Fall I  love with Louie‘s skating after
that part - you are stonecold hearted bitch.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2022, 06:35:36 AM »

No one is complaining.

literal

paragraphs

of

complaining
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

FuzzGNU

« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2022, 08:50:24 AM »
Expand Quote

No one is complaining.

literal

paragraphs

of

complaining
[close]

Discussing trends in skateboarding on a skateboard forum? How tragic.

If you really want 200 one sentence posts going "this part is fire! ️‍🔥️‍🔥️‍🔥" you can always check out Instagram.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2022, 02:00:08 AM »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2022, 05:54:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

am i the only one who thinks it's weird that people seem to think mark suciu somehow created the precedent for putting a lot of footage and winning soty?

foy put out four parts in 2017 (if you count his am scramble footage as a part) mason did the same in 2020. milton's 'single part' win in 2019 was an 11 minute part...

tyshawn's the only dude from the last half decade to win off a vaguely normal amount of footie. even then, he had a two song part plus an extra part.

[close]

I agree 100% with this.

However, you have to admit that things like the timing of footage release are very contrived. You can tell when someone is specifically gunning for it in a way that I don't feel is in the spirit of the award. Doesn't feel in the spirit of street skating.

I like that it creates more of a meritocracy than the Thrasher guys just going "oh man I saw this guy skate in person, so he gets SOTY" like they often did in the 2010s. Milton Martinez very much felt like that (I still think he deserved it, but you know what I mean).

But there is something to be said about maintaining that essence of street skateboarding and not making it be some career-driven achievement like us Millennials have been manipulated by our whole lives. It's okay to fight back against that idea of objective achievement and have some subjective enjoyment/vibes driving it as well.

We should celebrate fighting back against this Capitalist career achiever mentality, while also celebrating guys like Suciu who put two years straight into giving us an avalanche of top tier skating in pursuit of the award.

There needs to be a balance or it will devolve into giving that same feeling that contest skating often gives us. That very fake facade that comes with objectivity and being driven by achievement rather than being driven by self-expression, the joy of skateboarding, and the joy of saying "fuck you and your award".

My favorite contest runs are when people spit in the face of the contest. When people join the contest just to rebel against it. I want a skater to do that against SOTY.
[close]

[close]

They weren't serious contenders but in an interview Cyrus said that if Thrasher knew about his part he would have made the list for that year. I don't remember what interview it's from though. Maybe his Pals questions.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 282
  • often correct
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2022, 06:39:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree 100% with this.

[close]

[close]

[close]

They weren't serious contenders but in an interview Cyrus said that if Thrasher knew about his part he would have made the list for that year. I don't remember what interview it's from though. Maybe his Pals questions.

“John’s Vid” came out pretty strong with no kind of hype. If I remember correctly, the only hint of it coming was when Cyrus talked about it in his Pals Questions. Do you always prefer to have a video come out with no hype?

Besides Cyrus talking about it, nobody really knew it was coming. But yeah, I didn’t really want to tell anyone, I feel like the more you hype something up the more anticipation it brings. I just think it’s cool for a video to just pop up and be good.

I remember when I first saw it I had to watch Cyrus’s part a few times before I could move on to the rest of the video. He really put in work for that part.

Yeah, he had an amazing year in 2020. I remember looking back and thinking of all the crazy shit he did last year. I didn’t even tell anyone at Thrasher that the video was coming but apparently Cyrus could have easily been a SOTY contender had they’d known. But I just didn’t think about that at all.
source: https://heckride.com/f/johnny-wilson

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2022, 06:53:03 AM »
Anyway we’re glossing over the blessing of a new Benny edit. Love it.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2022, 07:24:05 AM »
Anyway we’re glossing over the blessing of a new Benny edit. Love it.

Could be mistaken but I don’t believe that Benny does FA edits; think it’s Ben Chadourne.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2022, 11:09:12 AM »
Tread carefully - in the Ben community, it's a major faux pas to be called a Benny. Bennies too are greatly offended by the three-lettered mongrel name

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2022, 11:17:12 AM »
I challenged myself to come up with a complaint about his skating, and this is all I got:

He looks and skates like he weighs 90 pounds. He doesn't sit in grinds so much as he perches on them like a hummingbird, drinking deep of their nectar until he's sugar-high, and then flitters his hollow bones onto the next

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2022, 11:41:22 AM »
W O A H.

ejazzle

• Rep: 62
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »
Using a song that was just used 3 months ago is beyond whack. I could watch Louie skate all day but not to songs that were literally just used. Video parts are supposed to be a creative outlet for the skater/filmer/editor right? Using a song that was literally just used in arguably the biggest video of the year is the least creative route you can take. Just imagine if the same 4 songs were in rotation for different video parts...

bohemian

• Rep: -299
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2022, 12:36:08 PM »
honestly, i thk this dude is superboring. sure he can skate, but there is little to nothing in his parts that stand out as extraordinary. its just bland, ok skateboarding. to adress the godawful soty discussion, it shouldnt be enough to just be good. you should bring something new to the table, expand the horizon, move skateboarding forward in some way. louie def dont bring anything new, just like last years snoozefest winner.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2022, 01:11:45 PM »
honestly, i thk this dude is superboring. sure he can skate, but there is little to nothing in his parts that stand out as extraordinary. its just bland, ok skateboarding. to adress the godawful soty discussion, it shouldnt be enough to just be good. you should bring something new to the table, expand the horizon, move skateboarding forward in some way. louie def dont bring anything new, just like last years snoozefest winner.
shoulda put that in the skaters you can’t stand thread. this is a louie appreciation part. the fact that we can watch this and still know there has to be more to come is incredible

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2022, 04:02:10 PM »
Using a song that was just used 3 months ago is beyond whack. I could watch Louie skate all day but not to songs that were literally just used. Video parts are supposed to be a creative outlet for the skater/filmer/editor right? Using a song that was literally just used in arguably the biggest video of the year is the least creative route you can take. Just imagine if the same 4 songs were in rotation for different video parts...

Finally someone agrees, the quintuple-ABD song was a poor stylistic choice. What a blazingly hot take. Say goodbye to your rep lol. I’d give you 10 gnars if I knew how.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1132
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2022, 10:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Finally someone agrees, the quintuple-ABD song was a poor stylistic choice. What a blazingly hot take. Say goodbye to your rep lol. I’d give you 10 gnars if I knew how.
first step gnarring someone is getting to 10,000 posts and you have to have a rep of -200

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2022, 07:36:24 AM »
what video part was the song even used in?

Who would you guys pick for soty then?
I like Jeff Carlyle
ONTARIO CANADA

FuzzGNU

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2022, 07:50:59 AM »

I like Jeff Carlyle

T Funk, Sean Greene, Carlyle, Louie seem to be the frontrunners in my mind right now. I think T Funk has the advantage with the generational Thrasher cover. I can't think of a cover that memorable since Tyshawn's subway ollie, and that got him SOTY.

Its a bit wild to me Sean Greene isn't getting as much heat as Carlyle, they both fucking killed it.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2022, 02:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote

I like Jeff Carlyle
[close]

T Funk, Sean Greene, Carlyle, Louie seem to be the frontrunners in my mind right now. I think T Funk has the advantage with the generational Thrasher cover. I can't think of a cover that memorable since Tyshawn's subway ollie, and that got him SOTY.

Its a bit wild to me Sean Greene isn't getting as much heat as Carlyle, they both fucking killed it.
I say this without any sarcasm but Carlyle's beard makes him stand out. Sometimes that extra memorable trait can boost a skater's notoriety.