Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 136021 times)

manysnakes

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1110 on: February 28, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not even a year after the AF1 came out.
[close]

you realize, the stage 4 reissue probably took more than a year of work from start to finish, to release? indy was most likely planning this before anyone but ace knew there was an af1 coming.
[close]

Do you realize Joey Tershay worked for Indy and told them they should reissue those trucks 15 years ago before ACE was even a company?

Crazy they decided to bring those trucks back right?

And not the STAGE 7 that people actually want
[close]

I don't think the people that want Stage 7 actually remember them for what they were. The KP clearance wasn't good, they had a super hefty pop feel, and they were generally an ugly stage. I'm sure a reissue wouldn't have the horrible axle slip either. Ben D did a video on em and details a lot of their shortcomings. They weren't any more turn-y than stage IX, it's just some weird nostalgia or pro neurosis.
[close]

Stage 7 did turn better than 9s. They really fucked up with 9s.

I think Indy could take the best attributes of 5 thru 7 and come up with a good truck but really the stage 11 is just that. The stage 4 was really the right one to reissue as it was the last truck before the hollow body hanger came out and they made enough improvements to make it work for modern skateboarding.

I believe Independent has said that the Stage XI is basically the best attributes of the Stage III/IV (carve) and the Stage VIII (street). But yeah, all this clamoring is strange because the Stage XI is a great fucking truck.

blahblah999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1111 on: February 28, 2023, 11:19:26 AM »

I don't think the people that want Stage 7 actually remember them for what they were. The KP clearance wasn't good, they had a super hefty pop feel, and they were generally an ugly stage. I'm sure a reissue wouldn't have the horrible axle slip either. Ben D did a video on em and details a lot of their shortcomings. They weren't any more turn-y than stage IX, it's just some weird nostalgia or pro neurosis.

What I remember most about Stage 7s was the axle slip. It was there from day one with those trucks, but continued to get worse and worse the more you rode them and landed sideways. Eventually the trucks became unrideable even if there was material left on the hanger.

Come to think of it, a lot of trucks back then had problems with axle slip. I do remember Indy Stage 7s being among the worst with it though.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1112 on: February 28, 2023, 11:46:33 AM »
Expand Quote

Finally got them.

Independent stage 11 129 low

Shot of the low bushings, a much slimmer top bushing.

I weighed them in at 353grams each, very nice.  8)
[close]

Do you happen to know the height of the bushings on the lows? I have a set of Lows that need bushings and since I can‘t find any replacements in Europe I‘ll probably have to shave down some standards…

Pick up yourself a set of ACE low bushings and thank me later =D

IpathCats

« Reply #1113 on: February 28, 2023, 12:11:49 PM »
I'm kinda jealous of peoples knowledge/experience with the various stages

but at the same time kinda thankful that i dont have it, i feel like it would stir the madness more than anything

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1114 on: February 28, 2023, 01:31:54 PM »
I'm kinda jealous of peoples knowledge/experience with the various stages

but at the same time kinda thankful that i dont have it, i feel like it would stir the madness more than anything

It is a primarily nostalgia-based and completely pointless madness. As someone who has publicly wished for a Stage VII reissue, I know fully well that the Stage XI that I already have are objectively better. Still, I fetishize little non-/dys-fuctional aesthetics of the VII because they're the first trucks I ever had and they're my "Ur-truck".

Also, FWIW I did end up putting the XI back on my board. The IV look cool and the pop feel is great, but at the end of the day they aren't different enough for me to abandon a nicely grooved set of broken in trucks.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1115 on: February 28, 2023, 02:16:26 PM »
The Mids are 52mm tall, Pretty standard street truck height. Lows are 48.5mm tall. Mids are 3.5mm taller in height than the lows.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

cheekclapper

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1116 on: February 28, 2023, 03:21:37 PM »
Are ACE bushings actually nice on indys? I have just been riding the blue cyllinder indy bushings but now Im interested in trying maybe some ace hards.
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

jimgrude

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1117 on: February 28, 2023, 03:31:14 PM »
After all that stage talk, I feel inclined to remind people that stage VIII had the ultimate turn for street, and was even slightly lower than VII. Unfortunately, that magic geo meant the worst kingpin clearance there ever was. I have a set that is drilled out to fit an IKP, and it's hella groovy. Just hope they don't axle slip.

Wish there was a way to bring that geo back in a more functional way.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1118 on: February 28, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »
Are ACE bushings actually nice on indys? I have just been riding the blue cyllinder indy bushings but now Im interested in trying maybe some ace hards.

Yeah. I went from blues to ace low. I would recommend trying some combo of the standards first, once they firm up the Ace hards are going to feel a lot firmer than the blues and part of the magic is having a hard top medium bottom.

Most folks do a top from a set of lows and a bottom from standards. I just run a set of lows because it lowers the trucks slightly and pushes the WB in a little.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1119 on: February 28, 2023, 04:50:20 PM »
For me, they aren't even nice on Ace trucks 🤭

cheekclapper

« Reply #1120 on: February 28, 2023, 05:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah. I went from blues to ace low. I would recommend trying some combo of the standards first, once they firm up the Ace hards are going to feel a lot firmer than the blues and part of the magic is having a hard top medium bottom.

Most folks do a top from a set of lows and a bottom from standards. I just run a set of lows because it lowers the trucks slightly and pushes the WB in a little.

if you dont mind, how much do you weigh so I know for comparison?
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1121 on: February 28, 2023, 05:24:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I fluctuate between 200 and 210 depending on the time of the year.

cheekclapper

« Reply #1122 on: February 28, 2023, 05:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I fluctuate between 200 and 210 depending on the time of the year.

we the same. thanks for the input   8)
yes, yes we do

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1123 on: February 28, 2023, 05:46:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, ACE hards are haaaaard. I ride the blues and/or bones meds or ace dual duro in my indys (with a LOW ace top). Since I'm now around 190, I find the blue bottoms, with a yellow top to be better for me over the ACE dual duro these days.

cheekclapper

« Reply #1124 on: February 28, 2023, 06:32:40 PM »
how did the ace bushings affect the turn?
yes, yes we do

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1125 on: February 28, 2023, 06:37:37 PM »

I found they made them snappier. That said, you can get the same result mixing duros with indy bushings.

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #1126 on: February 28, 2023, 11:01:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you realize, the stage 4 reissue probably took more than a year of work from start to finish, to release? indy was most likely planning this before anyone but ace knew there was an af1 coming.
[close]

Do you realize Joey Tershay worked for Indy and told them they should reissue those trucks 15 years ago before ACE was even a company?

yes, joey! i did know that. also i'd be much more interested in hearing Shrewgy's opinion on trucks than either of the ace joey's. but i did love me some project hardware!

and no, no it's not crazy they would bring stage 4's back. some of the 1st real trucks me and kids from my era would've rode.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 11:24:46 PM by BL0B »

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1127 on: February 28, 2023, 11:14:13 PM »

Ace bushings are kind of an enigma to me. You can just kind of put them wherever you want while leaning on the turn and they stay where you put them. They don’t reflexively bounce around like the newer Indy bushings, but they don’t fall of the end of the turn like the mushy DLX bushings either, and they don’t get affected by temperature changes as much.

The Ace hard bushings are 94A, but they definitely don’t skate as hard as the 94A Indy bushings (black ones). The secret is you only tighten them to the point that they’re secure, that is, if you can barely rotate the bottom washer with your fingers, it’s perfect. They curb the wheelbite but still turn much like the regular Ace bushings at that point. One you tighten them past that, they quickly become like any other hard bushing.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1128 on: March 01, 2023, 02:59:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yes, joey! i did know that. also i'd be much more interested in hearing Shrewgy's opinion on trucks than either of the ace joey's. but i did love me some project hardware!

and no, no it's not crazy they would bring stage 4's back. some of the 1st real trucks me and kids from my era would've rode.

Oh Indy brought back this truck for 50+ year old men who don't skate got it.

If you can't flip your board I don't really care about your opinion.

manysnakes

« Reply #1129 on: March 01, 2023, 04:52:56 AM »

I put some Ace Classics bushings on my Indys after the stock ones blew out and they’re great. I already think that Ace and Indy skate alike but with the Ace bushings, it’s hard for me to tell the difference.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1130 on: March 01, 2023, 06:04:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I put some Ace Classics bushings on my Indys after the stock ones blew out and they’re great. I already think that Ace and Indy skate alike but with the Ace bushings, it’s hard for me to tell the difference.

I'm glad you mention this. Been having a spell of madness recently, my mind being unsettled between ace classic, stage 11, and now the stage 4s I couldn't resist trying. I run ace low bushings in my 11s, the others stock.

Now that I've ran all 3 in the same week, I'm realizing none of them are different enough for me to warrant anything other than skating the most grooved up/broken in set of any of them.

logjammin

• Rep: 366
« Reply #1131 on: March 01, 2023, 11:49:29 AM »
I just fucked with these stage 4's a bunch and found the stock bushings to be absolutely horrible at 180lbs. Like, no rebound, just totally dead and tight feeling bushings, and I feel like I'm the first to mention that which makes me wonder if I got a bunk set or something. Nowadays even the stage 11 stock bushings are pretty damn good and carvey, but not these.

Anyway, so I grabbed a set of Ace standard medium bushings and the bottoms are actually a couple hairs shorter than the stock Stage 4's. But I have some flat washers that Riptide once gave me when I ordered bushings and they make bushings sit just a little bit higher vs stock cup washers. So it brought them to the proper height. Then just Ace top bushings with no top washers. Totally revived the trucks, the turning is insanely good. I could almost do two full circles in the same spot with all four wheels touching the ground. I do think these might be better than Ace's. Still felt stable on center, even when doing that kinda one foot steering you can get away with on Ace's cause of the twitchy geometry.

TLDR; Indy stage 4's are amazing with Ace medium bushings and seem to turn even better than Ace's. 146's are what I'm on, btw.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 895
« Reply #1132 on: March 01, 2023, 12:00:38 PM »
I just fucked with these stage 4's a bunch and found the stock bushings to be absolutely horrible at 180lbs. Like, no rebound, just totally dead and tight feeling bushings, and I feel like I'm the first to mention that which makes me wonder if I got a bunk set or something. Nowadays even the stage 11 stock bushings are pretty damn good and carvey, but not these.

Anyway, so I grabbed a set of Ace standard medium bushings and the bottoms are actually a couple hairs shorter than the stock Stage 4's. But I have some flat washers that Riptide once gave me when I ordered bushings and they make bushings sit just a little bit higher vs stock cup washers. So it brought them to the proper height. Then just Ace top bushings with no top washers. Totally revived the trucks, the turning is insanely good. I could almost do two full circles in the same spot with all four wheels touching the ground. I do think these might be better than Ace's. Still felt stable on center, even when doing that kinda one foot steering you can get away with on Ace's cause of the twitchy geometry.

TLDR; Indy stage 4's are amazing with Ace medium bushings and seem to turn even better than Ace's. 146's are what I'm on, btw.

B
Nope I said it multiple times. Once broken in they are too firm. Mine did not feel good with softer bushings though, as unlike you I did not like they way they felt on center. I think I'll leave mine with stock bushings and hope things loosen up as we go...

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #1133 on: March 01, 2023, 12:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh Indy brought back this truck for 50+ year old men who don't skate got it.

If you can't flip your board I don't really care about your opinion.

yeah, who do you think santa cruz & powell bring back all the reissues for? this truck is what was on most of those santa cruz & powell boards if those people didn't have cracker trucks. it's just crazy indy would bring these back!  ::)

i'm still under 50, i started skating very young. who TF says i can't flip a skateboard, lol? i was most likely doing switch 360 flips before you were born since you think old people can't flip skateymaboards round thee ol parkygarage.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 12:45:55 PM by BL0B »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1134 on: March 01, 2023, 04:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

B
Nope I said it multiple times. Once broken in they are too firm. Mine did not feel good with softer bushings though, as unlike you I did not like they way they felt on center. I think I'll leave mine with stock bushings and hope things loosen up as we go...

It's still your winter there isn't it?

How cold is it and do you think that has anything to do with bushings feeling too hard?

Just curious.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 895
« Reply #1135 on: March 01, 2023, 06:02:05 PM »
Yeah possibly. I've been skating in about low 40s to low 50s Fahrenheit.

IpathCats

« Reply #1136 on: March 02, 2023, 04:22:40 AM »
Yeah possibly. I've been skating in about low 40s to low 50s Fahrenheit.

I notice my bushings change under 50.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
« Reply #1137 on: March 02, 2023, 09:56:36 AM »
Had the default bushings on these 149s cranked down a couple of threads cause I'm a big boy and like mediumish trucks. Felt kinda shitty cause they probably weren't broken in properly and I've only skated them in single-digit Celcius weather. They were also squeaky as all hell. Put in the after-market indy hard 94a black bushings, waxed up the pivot ball and cup and have the kingpin nut flush and they already feel 10x better just rolling around in socks in my basement. Squeak is gone too. Not sure if it was worth switching the washers too but they seemed thinner than the ones that came with the trucks so I thought I'd try them out to see if they squish the bushings down less. Now if only it wasn't raining/snowing for a week straight.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #1138 on: March 02, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »
Anyone have an idea how Stage 4s compare to Indy Standards?

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1139 on: March 02, 2023, 11:37:40 AM »

Since me posting about a gear decision on here always results in my doing the opposite, after committing to my broken in 11s I read this and knew I had to try it.

Boy oh boy, they do turn nice.