Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118596 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1410 on: May 15, 2023, 10:55:53 AM »
Has anyone ever stepped up from 149 to 159 on a 8.5” board? Was it better and how noticeable was the difference?

I rode 149s and 159s on both 8.5 and 8.75 a few years back.

The extra hanger space from 159s is rad, but personally i ended up preferring a smaller setup overall.

if you mainly ride transition, i'd say you will probably like 159s on 8.5

I think hewitt rides 159s or 169s on 8.38-8.5

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1411 on: May 15, 2023, 12:58:31 PM »
Has anyone ever stepped up from 149 to 159 on a 8.5” board? Was it better and how noticeable was the difference?

I did, for the sole purpose of skating a double sided curb that 159s allowed me to sit on top of it. Didn't notice much other than weight...if you rode 149s on an 8.25, 159s on an 8.5 is the same biz.

mvdbosch90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1412 on: May 15, 2023, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks for the input :) I currently skate an 8.5 with 149 titaniums. I thought that the 159’s would offer a bit more stability, and if I stick to Titaniums and a not too long wheelbase, everything would still remain quite manageable regarding flips/pops.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1413 on: May 15, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The extra hanger space from 159s is rad, but personally i ended up preferring a smaller setup overall.

Yes Peter Hewitt has ti 159s on the 8.38 (which I have been meaning to setup just to see as I have everything here) but I think too that more people who ride big transition / vert stuff usually go more for wider trucks as it balances everything out and makes it way more stable.

For a street setup, there are some guys who have done that combo before - Jamie Foy was on Thunder 151s on 8.5 boards for a while, but now is back down on more tucked in under trucks, from what others were saying.

Chris Wimer does Indy 159s on 8.5 with 56 mm conical full wheels and he shreds!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUd8k7ZF2G1/

The best way to feel it out first is put three, or even four washers on the inside only of each wheel and then lean on the board to get your weight over two wheels only, as this pretty much makes them more like 153 / 154 mm in total hanger width, but still not quite the 159 width.

Even just doing that I could feel a significant difference to minimal washers on 149s, so it can make things feel different, not so much good or bad, but just different, if that makes sense.

From trying other normal 159s on 8.5 boards a while back, my balance was a bit off with the wider hanger, whereas the 149s on 8.5 and 159s on 8.6 or 8.75 just felt right, with the main area being where I would lean and grind on transition, as well as some gentle street skating.

If you like the stability, you should be stoked on the 159s on 8.5 boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #1414 on: May 16, 2023, 05:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes Peter Hewitt has ti 159s on the 8.38 (which I have been meaning to setup just to see as I have everything here) but I think too that more people who ride big transition / vert stuff usually go more for wider trucks as it balances everything out and makes it way more stable.

For a street setup, there are some guys who have done that combo before - Jamie Foy was on Thunder 151s on 8.5 boards for a while, but now is back down on more tucked in under trucks, from what others were saying.

The best way to feel it out first is put three, or even four washers on the inside only of each wheel and then lean on the board to get your weight over two wheels only, as this pretty much makes them more like 153 / 154 mm in total hanger width, but still not quite the 159 width.

Even just doing that I could feel a significant difference to minimal washers on 149s, so it can make things feel different, not so much good or bad, but just different, if that makes sense.

From trying other normal 159s on 8.5 boards a while back, my balance was a bit off with the wider hanger, whereas the 149s on 8.5 and 159s on 8.6 or 8.75 just felt right, with the main area being where I would lean and grind on transition, as well as some gentle street skating.

holy shit is he running those yellow indy super hard bushings?!

I figured only very heavy people or megaramp dudes would ride those.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #1415 on: May 16, 2023, 08:26:22 AM »
I’ve had the perfect dialed in frankentrucks for over a year now with ace hangers on some stage 7 baseplates and inverted kingpins. But I ride smaller width Ace’s like AF1 44’s or classic 33’s with extra washers to push the wheels out. Pulled out some unused stage 11 159’s last night and now the truck madness is kicking in. Will the bigger trucks help me grab coping better and get on top of slappies easier? I ask myself this shit and visualize it as I lose sleep lying in bed at night, no joke ::) yet I can already do it fine with the smaller trucks. God damnit I hate truck madness.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1416 on: May 16, 2023, 12:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was gonna point that out too! I run the blacks and I probably weigh two Chris Wimers
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

IpathCats

« Reply #1417 on: May 16, 2023, 12:08:52 PM »

I was gonna point that out too! I run the blacks and I probably weigh two Chris Wimers

I run the blacks as well (standard cylinder) and I probably weight the same as him, 160-175ish

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1418 on: May 16, 2023, 12:20:52 PM »

I made the switch months ago and to me it feels better to have 159s on there than to have some frankensteined 149s at this point.

I was curious about stage iv 151 but I don’t think I’ll need to

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1419 on: May 16, 2023, 12:38:43 PM »

Landing primo sucked ass but other than that you'll get more hanger space without needing to get a new deck if that's what you were concerned about. There also felt like a small increase in stability. It's nice and I'd do it again if I wasn't so pedantic on making my axle length match the deck width (or at least as close as I can get to).

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1420 on: May 16, 2023, 02:11:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for their input. I actually didn’t take too much time to doubt/think about it and just went and got a pair of 159 titaniums. I skated them today for the first time and I really like them! Even though it’s just 1/8” extra on both sides, the difference in stability is noticeable. Setting up for tricks and popping actually feels a lot better than the Indy 149’s and Ace AF1 55’s between which I was switching back and forth. Even though I didn’t have a very good night sleep, tricks just went better right from the beginning.
I actually think I’ve found my perfect truck :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1421 on: May 16, 2023, 04:27:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Quite a lot of those guys ride trucks a lot tighter than what people might think, but that is how they maintain such control and pop, so it makes sense.

One of my friends who is way more street tech than me also runs the yellow bushings with the kingpin nut flush and once broken in they still turn enough without being anything near loose, so although I can't skate his boards, the setup sure does feel firm and stable.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1422 on: May 16, 2023, 07:59:47 PM »
Idk I just watched a wimer part trucks didn't look that tight

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1423 on: May 16, 2023, 08:19:51 PM »
Idk I just watched a wimer part trucks didn't look that tight

The broken in set of yellow 96 duro "super hard" bushings are still not as hard as some of the very hard ones out there, but they do give a lot more stability for people who want it, so yes you can still carve this way and that easily enough, as seen in the clip above, second frame from his Zero board in that Instagram link.

On this board I just pulled out here, with old broken in yellow Indy bushings on standard trucks with the nut flush, I can still push down enough to just get the wheel to touch wood, but it is a lot harder than on stock bushings or on my usual board with the low red bushings in the 92 red I usually ride.

By no means are they as stiff as people skated in the 90s and 00s, when comparing the Indy yellow bushings to something like the Destructo green bushings or Doh Dohs that most people I know had at the time.

IpathCats

« Reply #1424 on: May 17, 2023, 05:29:02 AM »
I can't help but feel like they're gonna do hollow stage 4's

Seems like they've been generally well received, with weight being the only common criticism

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1425 on: May 17, 2023, 07:41:06 AM »
Weight and kingpin clearance*

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1426 on: May 17, 2023, 07:50:26 AM »
I'm always surprised at how much tighter pros run trucks when I see their boards in person than we assume they are. Leo Romero rides hard crannnnnnked and Tom Knox runs the yellows sometimes too. I've seen plenty of Ace riders with 2-3 threads showing as well.

IpathCats

« Reply #1427 on: May 17, 2023, 07:58:13 AM »
I'm always surprised at how much tighter pros run trucks when I see their boards in person than we assume they are. Leo Romero rides hard crannnnnnked and Tom Knox runs the yellows sometimes too. I've seen plenty of Ace riders with 2-3 threads showing as well.

Tom knox runs yellows? His shit looks loose. flat washers?

2-3 threads showing on stock ace bushings is still kinda loose for me (170ish lbs)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1428 on: May 17, 2023, 08:12:16 AM »
I think his nickname is "Tight Trucks Tom". In some videos he has the newer yellows which aren't far off a faded orange, in others he has the orange with a few threads showing.

I'm 165 and run blues with a thread showing and find that acceptable.

IpathCats

« Reply #1429 on: May 17, 2023, 08:16:55 AM »
I think his nickname is "Tight Trucks Tom". In some videos he has the newer yellows which aren't far off a faded orange, in others he has the orange with a few threads showing.

I'm 165 and run blues with a thread showing and find that acceptable.

this tom knox?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5HFpcYDi28

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1430 on: May 17, 2023, 08:45:43 AM »
It's the cheapest/easiest/quickest way to shorten your wheelbase  ;D

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1431 on: May 17, 2023, 08:56:11 AM »
Yup that one! The rear truck kingpin would have 2-3 threads but has been feebled/smithed down enough you can't tell. Front seems to have 2. There was another video of his I paused a few times (can't remember which it was) where you could see faded yellows. Could get the same effect from both.

I mean Reynolds is famous for cranking and swerves fine. It's not always obvious. Suciu turns just fine and in his Habitat setup video has his Thunders cranked to 2-3 threads which for me would be insanely stiff.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #1432 on: May 17, 2023, 09:11:07 AM »
I think the reality is that pros are skating much, much faster than you or me, so their inertia more than compensates for how tight their trucks are. Look at David Gonzalez, who probably weighs ~135 pounds soaking wet.

https://youtu.be/TQQtaOf9FOc
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:52:26 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #1433 on: May 17, 2023, 09:41:47 AM »
I think the reality is that pros are skating much, much faster than you or I, so their inertia more than compensates for how tight their trucks are. Look at David Gonzalez, who probably weighs ~135 pounds soaking wet.

very true

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1434 on: May 17, 2023, 10:15:22 AM »
I've also been at spots where pros are constantly tinkering with their trucks all sesh. Not minor 1/4 turn adjustments like a full turn each time. Chances are we only see whatever snapshot of their day if that's the case. Plus newer trucks have stiffer bushings usually and over time they might crank more and more as the bushings wear.

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #1435 on: May 17, 2023, 02:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote
I think the reality is that pros are skating much, much faster than you or I, so their inertia more than compensates for how tight their trucks are. Look at David Gonzalez, who probably weighs ~135 pounds soaking wet.

[close]

very true

omg, omg, omg! what are bushing even?

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1436 on: May 17, 2023, 03:38:16 PM »

Seems like they've been generally well received, with weight being the only common criticism

I’d cop if they do. Seems like the general evolution.

Standard-Hollow-Titanium. I’m sure they want a slow burn with this one.

Overall I’m really liking mine as is. Aesthetically and mechanically these trucks are fucking good.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1437 on: May 17, 2023, 05:42:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Overall I’m really liking mine as is. Aesthetically and mechanically these trucks are fucking good.

I’m happy someone else agrees, man oh man those would be killer

Standard hollow titanium’s stage 4’s

Loving my 136 and just grabbed a pair of 146
yes

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1438 on: May 18, 2023, 12:21:25 AM »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince us that our trucks didn’t matter. ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

IpathCats

« Reply #1439 on: May 18, 2023, 04:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m happy someone else agrees, man oh man those would be killer

Standard hollow titanium’s stage 4’s

Loving my 136 and just grabbed a pair of 146

I feel like the forged plates might be a little too much, but that's just me.

Would like to see a hollow version though.