Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 132374 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1650 on: September 02, 2023, 07:26:45 AM »

Had this happen yesterday. I was changing out my wheels and deck and when I went to tighten my axle nut down the axle just broke off lol. These are ~2 year old Titanium 169 so I'm guessing it's not under warranty but I wanted to know if there's anything I could do through NHS.

considering Indy knows about their defective Ti axles batch (batches maybe), you should try the warranty claim
maybe with the shop first

or on your own here
https://nhsforms.wufoo.com/forms/warranty-form-revised/

you should get a free pair of trucks with ease (deservedly so)

And i'm pretty sure you will not need to send your trucks back
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 09:42:16 AM by BALARGUE »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1651 on: September 02, 2023, 12:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Had this happen yesterday. I was changing out my wheels and deck and when I went to tighten my axle nut down the axle just broke off lol. These are ~2 year old Titanium 169 so I'm guessing it's not under warranty but I wanted to know if there's anything I could do through NHS.
[close]

considering Indy knows about their defective Ti axles batch (batches maybe), you should try the warranty claim

or on your own here

Thankfully now most warranty claims don't need return of product, just pictures, as per the last couple I had put in for people.

Some distos are a bit funny on it though and want the product back, maybe more so to stop repeat occurrences of warranty claims on the same product.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1652 on: September 02, 2023, 03:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

or on your own here

Thanks for the link, I went ahead and submitted it through NHS.

Barack Hussein

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1653 on: September 20, 2023, 02:03:13 PM »
Bros... Please man I'm so scared... My 159 Indy titaniums have been so freeeeeking fun (been skating em for like 4 months now). Doing some of my most best and most consistent skating of my life thus far (seriously im ripping like whaaaat for real for real)...

Ignorance was bliss.

Now I just keep seeing all of this stuff about the titanium axles snapping on people who are like pretty much just skating flat ground lol and now I'm scared for my life. It's quite a predicament because I'm feeling the most comfortable with my setup for first time in like 4 years. But I'd be pretty bummed to get served up going fast due to a gear failure... Should I throw my Indy Titaniums in the trash?

I'd appreciate any input on what I should do.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1654 on: September 20, 2023, 03:17:52 PM »
I’m sort of in the same boat—just wrapping up on my pre Covid/iron cross set of Ti 159’s and have a post-Covid/cross replacement pair but am scared they’ll break while skating :( recently got some stage IV but obviously a very different truck. I was just about to say, if they haven’t broke yet they’re probably fine, but the poster up thread seems to have had their trucks for quite some time before they randomly snapped. Such a bummer to say the least.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

manysnakes

« Reply #1655 on: September 20, 2023, 04:26:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

or on your own here

[close]

Thankfully now most warranty claims don't need return of product, just pictures, as per the last couple I had put in for people.

Some distos are a bit funny on it though and want the product back, maybe more so to stop repeat occurrences of warranty claims on the same product.

I did warranty work in the bike industry and, to avoid this issue, it was pretty standard to require return of some fragment of the bike or else send photos of the bike or component physically destroyed.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1656 on: September 20, 2023, 07:44:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

or on your own here

[close]

[close]

I did warranty work in the bike industry and, to avoid this issue, it was pretty standard to require return of some fragment of the bike or else send photos of the bike or component physically destroyed.

Of two distros I have dealt with more recently, one was photos only and nothing else, the other was return of product to "verify the issue with the manufacturer" or something like that, which I guess is just to say they didn't believe me or wanted to make sure they didn't have to deal with a recurring issue of returning the same thing again down the line.

Definitely get why they would.  Some skaters over the years would break things on purpose just to get replacements when they felt like it, eg dropping big rocks on the board or something to bend axles.  Pretty stupid on the part of that guy, but I guess people will do anything not to have to pay for skate product.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #1657 on: September 21, 2023, 01:02:04 PM »
I recently got my hands on some Stage 11 lows in 139. Does anyone know anything about these? I know that Indy hasn't put out lows in a while. Did they stop producing lows when they switched over to Stage 11 mark 2, or when they moved production out of the US? Do they turn well? Do you think I could resell them for a good price, or should I just skate them? I got them off of an old setup given to me by someone who doesn't skate and there are almost no grind marks on them. I didn't skate the board after I got it, I immediately took it apart to harvest the Indys for another setup and didn't realize they were lows until I saw the retail sticker on the bottom of one of the baseplates.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1658 on: September 21, 2023, 03:26:34 PM »
I recently got my hands on some Stage 11 lows in 139. Does anyone know anything about these? I know that Indy hasn't put out lows in a while. Did they stop producing lows when they switched over to Stage 11 mark 2, or when they moved production out of the US? Do they turn well? Do you think I could resell them for a good price, or should I just skate them? I got them off of an old setup given to me by someone who doesn't skate and there are almost no grind marks on them. I didn't skate the board after I got it, I immediately took it apart to harvest the Indys for another setup and didn't realize they were lows until I saw the retail sticker on the bottom of one of the baseplates.

I can't remember exactly when they stopped making them but it was well before anything to do with the change in production (around 2018) or the plain baseplate (no cross in 2020) or anything else.  Stage 11 came out in 2012 and I feel like they were gone by 2015 or so, definitely well before the 144s came out in 2017, but everything to do with the low versions didn't really register on my radar the way some other products did.

The set I have has a hollow kingpin and axle, orange bushings, normal shaped hanger but some of the other (maybe just the older stages) had the very tapered hanger with red bushings, all with USA still under the baseplate too.

Overall they are a very low truck, lower kingpin and also lower top bushing than any current options, but they still turn like a normal Indy, as long as the bushings haven't been cranked down or hardened up to the point where they just don't work.

Putting any other normal bushing in is near impossible and they will be ultra tight, but cutting down the top bushing or using a low bushing set like old Indy aftermarket bushings, Venture loose truck kit or similar will work well in them.

I am guessing there is a small market for them, so finding the right buyer you might make some money on them, but who knows if or when that could be, so depending on whether or not you even want low trucks, it might be better to list them and sit on them until someone offers you something worthwhile, or whatever, but they are not crazy collectable and high dollar items, as far as I could see from the interest in the ones I bought and seeing others for sale online.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1659 on: September 26, 2023, 11:12:32 PM »
I too have 139 STG 11 hollow lows, mine are the white/green Leo Romero.
I got them from a board I found a second hand. I can’t skate an 8”. But that board got me into skating again. But I also sprained my knee on it. So kind of ambivalent about it. Every truck turns when I step on them, these ones just kind of ate the top bushings.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Bill Salt

« Reply #1660 on: September 26, 2023, 11:54:06 PM »
I am getting back on standards.
I rode 144 TI's  and despite the weight I'm disapointed.The plate is to thin and fragile.The bolts holes enlarge and get deformed easily with shocks.I also had pivot cups issues, the nib of hanger seem to pointy and to loos in the cup.It ruined many cups since i got them and never had to change cups so often in the past.

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1661 on: September 27, 2023, 07:12:11 AM »
Yeah, I keep waiting for more people to bring that hanger / pivot cavity issue up… the new ones almost have like vertical play in the pivot area… like something doesn’t fit right.

runespliffberg

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1662 on: September 30, 2023, 05:24:20 PM »
Has anyone run the blue 92a aftermarket bushings on forged baseplates? Curious if they’re the same height as the stock ones, I like the kingpin nut flush. I tried running Krux in mine, but the bottom bushing was taller and it threw off the geo, although they felt good. I’m coming back to Indy’s after a few years on thunders, they just feel like home to me. I’m craving a little more stability setting up for tricks after being used to thunders, but overall super hyped to be back on Indy’s. I pop my tricks higher, turn better, grind father. Only things I prefer about thunders is the crisp pop feel and the stability while still having a decent turn (definitely don’t turn as nice as Indy’s though).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1663 on: September 30, 2023, 09:15:42 PM »
Has anyone run the blue 92a aftermarket bushings on forged baseplates? Curious if they’re the same height as the stock ones, I like the kingpin nut flush. I tried running Krux in mine, but the bottom bushing was taller and it threw off the geo, although they felt good. I’m coming back to Indy’s after a few years on thunders, they just feel like home to me. I’m craving a little more stability setting up for tricks after being used to thunders, but overall super hyped to be back on Indy’s. I pop my tricks higher, turn better, grind father. Only things I prefer about thunders is the crisp pop feel and the stability while still having a decent turn (definitely don’t turn as nice as Indy’s though).

All Indy Stage XI bushings are the same height.

I noticed the same thing about FH at first but end up back on Thunders every time.

runespliffberg

« Reply #1664 on: September 30, 2023, 09:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All Indy Stage XI bushings are the same height.

I noticed the same thing about FH at first but end up back on Thunders every time.

I was wondering since they’re 1.5mm shorter (I know it’s just the baseplate height), if the geo/bushing height might be different in forged vs the aftermarket bushing kits.

I’ve been lost in the madness sauce for a while. I used to be a set it and forget it guy, I’m trying to get back to that since I spend more time tinkering with my setups than actually skating, and my skating is taking a hit because of it.

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1665 on: September 30, 2023, 09:58:51 PM »

Just a heads up im 6 ft 175lbs and I just tried the 92a blue barrel indy bushings today and it was wheelbite city. I cranked them down to the point my kingpin nut was showing 2 threads and I still got wheelbite. Will try the black 94a next.

runespliffberg

« Reply #1666 on: September 30, 2023, 10:33:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a heads up im 6 ft 175lbs and I just tried the 92a blue barrel indy bushings today and it was wheelbite city. I cranked them down to the point my kingpin nut was showing 2 threads and I still got wheelbite. Will try the black 94a next.

Good to know! I just ordered a set, we’ll see how I do on them. I’m 5’9” and down to 140lbs after a recent surfing trip (was eating pretty healthy, but not a lot, and surfing burns mad calories)

rikki

• Rep: 312
« Reply #1667 on: October 01, 2023, 12:32:32 AM »
I'm 5'9 / 145-ish lbs and love blue barrels in both my Indys and surfing.

Remember to break them in properly, they will feel surprisingly soft and squirrelly at first but give them a bit of time and don't crank them up instantly. They'll stiffen up and feel nice and solid. I run forged baseplates in my Indys.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1668 on: October 01, 2023, 12:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's really odd because I've used 90 the orange stock barrel bushings in my indys and I only get wheel bite city when they're brand new untouched or broken in at two threads showing or less. At two threads i dont get wheelbite anymore unless I really land heavy toe or heel side jumping off something. I have 92s I'm gonna try and I'm expecting them to be nowhere near as wheel bitey as your experience.

I'm 5' 10" at 190lbs btw
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 12:50:35 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

logjammin

• Rep: 351
« Reply #1669 on: October 01, 2023, 09:04:28 AM »
Risers y'all. Don't be scared. 52-55mm wheels use 1/8". 56mm+ try out 1/4". You can run stock or medium-hard aftermarkets and not need to get rock hard bushings which diminish the turn.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1670 on: October 01, 2023, 10:06:30 AM »
I don't want a truck that tall. Risers and Indy's would be 58mm tall, a full 5-6mm above what I consider comfortable. I'm not against risers, but should my have to resort to them for wheelbite since there are tons of good bushings out for various trucks.

Honestly the 92A are not THAT much harder than stock. I had a thread to 1.5 showing and stock it's 2-2.5 for about the same. The weird thing is I tried the black 94s flush and they were rocks. The blues definitely do firm up.

runespliffberg

« Reply #1671 on: October 01, 2023, 12:12:51 PM »

Remember to break them in properly, they will feel surprisingly soft and squirrelly at first but give them a bit of time and don't crank them up instantly. They'll stiffen up and feel nice and solid. I run forged baseplates in my Indys.

I like the bolt exactly flush with the kingpin and just get different bushings according to how tight/loose I want them to feel. I’m a pretty “medium-loose” guy.

Also… surfing is just like skating with super loose trucks on water. I might be more addicted to surfing now. Hopefully you live in a place that’s got good surf. I live in WA now, and it’s 3 hours to 4/3 wetsuit mush at La Push.

rikki

• Rep: 312
« Reply #1672 on: October 02, 2023, 12:43:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like the bolt exactly flush with the kingpin and just get different bushings according to how tight/loose I want them to feel. I’m a pretty “medium-loose” guy.

Also… surfing is just like skating with super loose trucks on water. I might be more addicted to surfing now. Hopefully you live in a place that’s got good surf. I live in WA now, and it’s 3 hours to 4/3 wetsuit mush at La Push.

To me it's the other way around, been surfing for 15+ years and just got back to skating a couple of years ago. Totally addicted to skating these days, surfing has taken a smaller role definitely.

And as for waves, we pretty much only get windswell. My nearest spot is about an hour away, which feels like an effort for waves that are not too amazing most of the time. But it's a blessing to be able to do it, regardless.

Bill Salt

« Reply #1673 on: October 02, 2023, 03:01:04 AM »
Hi guys
I rode 144's TI and just got back to 144's STD.
I have mixed feelings about TI's.They are the lightests ok,but to me the weight ain't the main thing to look at.
I had some deformations on both nuts holes on those TI's thinner plates...Also, I noticed the hangers nibs on TI's are a bit pointier than usual indys.This tends to make the hanger a bit looser and on those had to replace cups too which I rarely do on standards.
Curious to have your feedback, cheers;)

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1674 on: October 02, 2023, 03:15:04 AM »
250 lbs pro wrestler here. If you want your Indy’s nice and stable on center and make them difficult to wheelbite, I can recommend my setup.

One has an Indy 96a yellow bushing and the other a mini logo 100a.
Both has a Bones hard on top.
The extra cuppy washer on the bottom makes it firm up a lot more at the outer ranges of the turn. Works wonders for limiting the turn to only the usable part of the range.

Tighten down as necessary.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #1675 on: October 05, 2023, 06:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good to know! I just ordered a set, we’ll see how I do on them. I’m 5’9” and down to 140lbs after a recent surfing trip (was eating pretty healthy, but not a lot, and surfing burns mad calories)
I love the black Indy bushings. They are stable but you still get a good turn/carve without having to tighten the nut past 1 thread showing. I'm 5'11'' and 185lbs though so idk how you will like it.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1676 on: October 08, 2023, 03:25:12 AM »
I put wax on the bushings so they wouldn't squeak anymore, it worked, maybe even a little too loose !  ;D But since I did this, I have a truck that loosens too much and my bolt loosens itself after a while (As if it wasn't screwed in and as if the truck bolt was going to fall off.) and I have to tighten a lot.. Anyone had the same problem ?  Is it the fact of having used too much wax ?  :-\

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #1677 on: October 08, 2023, 05:29:22 AM »
I put wax on the bushings so they wouldn't squeak anymore, it worked, maybe even a little too loose !  ;D But since I did this, I have a truck that loosens too much and my bolt loosens itself after a while (As if it wasn't screwed in and as if the truck bolt was going to fall off.) and I have to tighten a lot.. Anyone had the same problem ?  Is it the fact of having used too much wax ?  :-\
The nylock on your nut is bad. You probably just need a new screw.

runespliffberg

« Reply #1678 on: October 08, 2023, 11:44:09 AM »

Update on the blue 92a’s on my Indy’s (cafe board) in comparison to my thunders on the FA. These boards are both full shapes, 8.25, similar WB, spitfire f4 wheels and Swiss bearings. Only difference is the trucks.

The blue 92a indy bushings feel identical to the blue Thunder 94a’s I have on the FA. Exactly what I was going for. I had to sand down the bottom bushing until it was identical in height to the original orange indy bushings that came in my forged hollows. Before that, they were too stiff. Now I’m getting an identical turn out of both of these trucks. I can tail slide better with the Indy’s because my wheels don’t hit the ledge, and get a higher pop with them because of the 1.5mm of extra height. The thunders however I’m way more dialed with my flip tricks and pinchy grinds. Better at quick hits with the thunders, and loooooong grinds on the Indy’s. Regardless I love them both in different respects. The thunders almost feel looser because of the conical bottom bushings, so I can do that little swerve and get into back tails easier, but I’ll slide further with the Indy’s. Overall I’m better at doing different tricks on either of these setups. Still trying to decide which I like more, but I love them both.

To sum it up, the aftermarket 92a indy bushings are slightly taller in the bottom barrel than the stock bushings (at least w/ forged plates). Sanded them down, now they turn more. If you’re looking to still turn but want stability while setting up for tricks, these do the job. I got what I wanted out of them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1679 on: October 08, 2023, 02:12:15 PM »
Honestly man this will sound like a total dick comment but neither of your decks has evidence of tailslides it looks like marks from stalls and drop ins. You make it sound like there's a huge dramatic difference, but it seems neither board has really slid much on the tail.