Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 116689 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 188
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1770 on: November 22, 2023, 10:04:40 AM »
That's surprising since the Venture pinch makes it almost impossible to slip into a noseslide unlike Indy Standard or Ace.
Yeah the venture pinch is amazing and I had no problem getting in or holding krooks I just couldn't pop out regular. I would always land primo. Idk what the deal is. I'm pumped tho lol.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 907
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1771 on: November 22, 2023, 12:35:53 PM »
So I set up my dlx 8.5 with my 149 forged hollows after being on an 8.125 with venture lights and I am done with the madness of swapping back and forth. I learned how to do regular crooked grinds last year on my 149s and lost them when I went back to venture. I could only do them to fake. About 15 minutes ago I was at the park and I did some without even really trying. Took me 3 tries. I am so happy.

Muscle memory is a crazy thing.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1772 on: November 22, 2023, 01:19:13 PM »
Expand Quote
That's surprising since the Venture pinch makes it almost impossible to slip into a noseslide unlike Indy Standard or Ace.
[close]
Yeah the venture pinch is amazing and I had no problem getting in or holding krooks I just couldn't pop out regular. I would always land primo. Idk what the deal is. I'm pumped tho lol.

I can't pop out forwards from a crooked grind regardless of what truck I'm using lol it always heelflips

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #1773 on: November 22, 2023, 01:43:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I can't pop out forwards from a crooked grind regardless of what truck I'm using lol it always heelflips

I used to be terrible at popping out forward on crooks and always wanted to go to fakie because it was easier.

Lately, I've been locking in like I'm gonna go to fakie (easier to land and hold grind for me) but then stay like I'm going to pop out regular.  I use that torsional energy I tricked my mind to save for going to fakie to somehow allow me to pop out to regular. When I do this, I usually try to keep my torso leaning back and more pressure on my heel to leverage the pop from the pinch

I'm on indys btw
Super Champion Fun Zone

Boog

« Reply #1774 on: November 22, 2023, 03:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote
So I set up my dlx 8.5 with my 149 forged hollows after being on an 8.125 with venture lights and I am done with the madness of swapping back and forth. I learned how to do regular crooked grinds last year on my 149s and lost them when I went back to venture. I could only do them to fake. About 15 minutes ago I was at the park and I did some without even really trying. Took me 3 tries. I am so happy.
[close]

Muscle memory is a crazy thing.
It really is lol.

Boog

« Reply #1775 on: November 22, 2023, 03:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I used to be terrible at popping out forward on crooks and always wanted to go to fakie because it was easier.

Lately, I've been locking in like I'm gonna go to fakie (easier to land and hold grind for me) but then stay like I'm going to pop out regular.  I use that torsional energy I tricked my mind to save for going to fakie to somehow allow me to pop out to regular. When I do this, I usually try to keep my torso leaning back and more pressure on my heel to leverage the pop from the pinch

I'm on indys btw
That's exactly how I was before today. I started standing more on top of the ledge while grinding and it helped me hold them longer and I was able to get the momentum to pop out forward. It was like a lightbulb just clicked on and everything made sense.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1776 on: November 23, 2023, 05:17:11 PM »
Slapped in some fresh indy blk 94a bushings into some fresh GT Cast Hollows, nut flush...first session, by about hour two, they started to give (pivots started squeaking too); coming off 92 blues, I think the 94 hards will be what I'm looking for once broken in).

Digging the added pop from standard height (52mm wheels for now).

JM

• Rep: 191
  • sup dog
« Reply #1777 on: November 23, 2023, 07:40:08 PM »
Slapped in some fresh indy blk 94a bushings into some fresh GT Cast Hollows, nut flush...first session, by about hour two, they started to give (pivots started squeaking too); coming off 92 blues, I think the 94 hards will be what I'm looking for once broken in).

Hell yeah, That’s the way to do it, son. 52mm and cast baseplate. I got my 144 cast hollows sitting in the local shop right now already paid for: gonna pick up tomorrow.

I got the blacks, too tight for me, and am on blues now (flush) and they feel great… I do really miss the loose feel of the standard orange, so maaaaaaaaaaaay go back, but will have to see how the 144’s turn vs the 149 I got now. 

I hope the blacks treat you well. They certainly are more helpful for flip tricks staying solid, and for landing not getting wheelbite.
Expand Quote
Should we start a flat out stupid opinions thread?
[close]

sounds like an actual cesspool

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1778 on: November 23, 2023, 08:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hell yeah, That’s the way to do it, son. 52mm and cast baseplate. I got my 144 cast hollows sitting in the local shop right now already paid for: gonna pick up tomorrow.

I got the blacks, too tight for me, and am on blues now (flush) and they feel great… I do really miss the loose feel of the standard orange, so maaaaaaaaaaaay go back, but will have to see how the 144’s turn vs the 149 I got now. 

I hope the blacks treat you well. They certainly are more helpful for flip tricks staying solid, and for landing not getting wheelbite.

Wheelbite is exactly what I’m trying to cure….they’re gonna break into fresh blues, just like blues break into fresh stocks, give or take a duro.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1779 on: November 23, 2023, 10:44:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm on indys btw
[close]
That's exactly how I was before today. I started standing more on top of the ledge while grinding and it helped me hold them longer and I was able to get the momentum to pop out forward. It was like a lightbulb just clicked on and everything made sense.

I've always been the opposite- popping to fakie feels more unnatural, but I also pop out (not drop out) of my crooks. I guess when I learned them an older dude told me to unweight my front foot and lift up slightly, but that the pop was always making sure the rear foot could quickly hit the tail. I then always focused on having my rear foot over the bolts so it could hit the tail faster on the way out.

I will say that the longer/more mellow the board the easier they are.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1780 on: December 04, 2023, 10:17:15 PM »
I have two pairs of Indy, and apparently only one set of good bushings. Both sets are orange, not sure if the other is aftermarket or stock. They just won't break in. Feels numb and gets stuck on the sides, no matter how many sessions in. Tried white aftermarkets but they felt even worse (I'm heavy old dude). Now, should I try to cook them in water? Can't make them worse, right? I'd rather not swap bushings every time I skate different width trucks...

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1781 on: December 05, 2023, 02:40:58 AM »
I have two pairs of Indy, and apparently only one set of good bushings. Both sets are orange, not sure if the other is aftermarket or stock. They just won't break in. Feels numb and gets stuck on the sides, no matter how many sessions in. Tried white aftermarkets but they felt even worse (I'm heavy old dude). Now, should I try to cook them in water? Can't make them worse, right? I'd rather not swap bushings every time I skate different width trucks...

The orange stock bushings are a translucent mid orange colour, newer ones having the circles / rings on one side of each bushing, older ones just having a flat unfinished look on the one side of them.  If they were special editions with other colour bushings - white, red, black, blue, green or something else, they would still look the same, newer ones with a finished look with rings on one side, older ones with an unfinished look on one side.  They will all be cylinder since Stage 10 (single cross on baseplate) and now Stage 11 trucks (double lined cross on baseplate / cross in circle since 2012), assuming you don't have anything that is more than ten or more years old, no cross on the baseplate since mid to late 2020 as well, more just for age reference of the trucks.  All stock bushings, no matter what colour are 90 duro as well, which is the medium of the bushing line.

The aftermarket bushings in any variety are a way more bright single colour right through, so a solid bright orange in the 90 (medium), or red 88 (soft), blue 92 (medium hard), black 94 (hard), yellow 96 (super hard) or even white 78 (super soft) duro options.  They all come in cylinder shaped bottom bushings as well as conical shaped bottom bushings in red 88, orange 90, blue 92 and black 94 options.  The cylinder shape will hold up a bit better for weight and not mush out as much too.

As to what is going on with your own trucks, if the bushings were worn in nicely then they would hold up and work fine, but if they were never worn in and just cranked down a lot, then they are more likely to lose rebound and not hold up as well, or have other issues.  Even some older bushings just don't perform as well as newer ones, so depending on how old, or other things, you might find that two sets that might look the same will just not work the same if they have had different uses / periods of wear.

I would definitely not be trying the white super soft in anything but a super loose setup, or a kids board, but something like the blue 92 or even black 94 duro bushings are going to work better if you want a bit more stable setup that will still turn with some weight.

Also the washers that come with the aftermarket bushings are often smaller, so sometimes the bottom bushing is going to pop out over it, which will leave the truck sitting on an angle, so check that and see if that is happening to any of the bushings on your boards.  I would always put the side with rings to the hangers, the smooth sides to the washers.

I think the only other thing is more info / details with pics or anything else re your trucks, eg both standards or other?  Not that it would really matter, apart from the old low trucks, which have different bushings, but the mids, standards, forged / hollow options should all be the same in terms of bushings and what works in all of them in the same way, even though some trucks might feel different with the same bushings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1782 on: December 05, 2023, 10:22:23 AM »
The orange stock bushings are a translucent mid orange colour, newer ones having the circles / rings on one side of each bushing, older ones just having a flat unfinished look on the one side of them.  If they were special editions with other colour bushings - white, red, black, blue, green or something else, they would still look the same, newer ones with a finished look with rings on one side, older ones with an unfinished look on one side.  They will all be cylinder since Stage 10 (single cross on baseplate) and now Stage 11 trucks (double lined cross on baseplate / cross in circle since 2012), assuming you don't have anything that is more than ten or more years old, no cross on the baseplate since mid to late 2020 as well, more just for age reference of the trucks.  All stock bushings, no matter what colour are 90 duro as well, which is the medium of the bushing line.

The aftermarket bushings in any variety are a way more bright single colour right through, so a solid bright orange in the 90 (medium), or red 88 (soft), blue 92 (medium hard), black 94 (hard), yellow 96 (super hard) or even white 78 (super soft) duro options.  They all come in cylinder shaped bottom bushings as well as conical shaped bottom bushings in red 88, orange 90, blue 92 and black 94 options.  The cylinder shape will hold up a bit better for weight and not mush out as much too.

As to what is going on with your own trucks, if the bushings were worn in nicely then they would hold up and work fine, but if they were never worn in and just cranked down a lot, then they are more likely to lose rebound and not hold up as well, or have other issues.  Even some older bushings just don't perform as well as newer ones, so depending on how old, or other things, you might find that two sets that might look the same will just not work the same if they have had different uses / periods of wear.

I would definitely not be trying the white super soft in anything but a super loose setup, or a kids board, but something like the blue 92 or even black 94 duro bushings are going to work better if you want a bit more stable setup that will still turn with some weight.

Also the washers that come with the aftermarket bushings are often smaller, so sometimes the bottom bushing is going to pop out over it, which will leave the truck sitting on an angle, so check that and see if that is happening to any of the bushings on your boards.  I would always put the side with rings to the hangers, the smooth sides to the washers.

I think the only other thing is more info / details with pics or anything else re your trucks, eg both standards or other?  Not that it would really matter, apart from the old low trucks, which have different bushings, but the mids, standards, forged / hollow options should all be the same in terms of bushings and what works in all of them in the same way, even though some trucks might feel different with the same bushings.

Excellent answer, although partially known for me. Thanks Mbrimson88!

Both bushing sets should be Stage 11 stock, both have the rings in other end. I used to have them mixed in a box, as I was having some gear madness and fell victim for example to notorious aftermarket reds. Washers should be stock, I'm careful with that. In any case I boiled the other set for bit under 2 minutes, let's see what that does. I usually wear in my trucks kingpin nut flush, takes max two sessions. I don't know what was the issue with other bushing set, but it's not end of the world.

During my gear madness I also tried conical orange aftermarkets but they're truly too high for Stage 11.

I'll survive this!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1783 on: December 05, 2023, 03:05:28 PM »

Excellent answer, although partially known for me. Thanks Mbrimson88!

Both bushing sets should be Stage 11 stock, both have the rings in other end. I used to have them mixed in a box, as I was having some gear madness and fell victim for example to notorious aftermarket reds. Washers should be stock, I'm careful with that. In any case I boiled the other set for bit under 2 minutes, let's see what that does. I usually wear in my trucks kingpin nut flush, takes max two sessions. I don't know what was the issue with other bushing set, but it's not end of the world.

During my gear madness I also tried conical orange aftermarkets but they're truly too high for Stage 11.

I'll survive this!

Sometimes I go for the "too much information" approach, so at least that covered pretty much everything without having to ask too many more questions.

I have definitely noticed that some stock bushings feel better than others, maybe from how they were first used, but a lot of the stuff I get is used / swapped in from others, which I test before recycling it back to people who need it.

Never boiled bushings, but I have heard of others doing it from time to time, so I am curious how they come out.

Did I also see you use silicon grease or something on bushings or other parts from a previous post?  Some of that stuff will make everything silent but can be deadly, making bushings really feel like they are Daewon loose (no bushing feeling) but the smallest amount is often good for stopping squeaks and freeing up things that might grip or click too.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1784 on: December 05, 2023, 08:42:44 PM »
Did I also see you use silicon grease or something on bushings or other parts from a previous post?  Some of that stuff will make everything silent but can be deadly, making bushings really feel like they are Daewon loose (no bushing feeling) but the smallest amount is often good for stopping squeaks and freeing up things that might grip or click too.

Yes, I have used silicone grease for pivot squeaks. Tried it long time ago on bushings too and it's no good, unless really microdosed. Theoretically there could have been some of that stuff on the other bushing set. The good news is boiling did help, at least so it felt initially. No idea what happens there, maybe 100C temperature makes urethane reform somehow. Or then the last bits of silicone grease disintegrated.

rikki

• Rep: 205
« Reply #1785 on: December 06, 2023, 05:13:37 AM »
I've been riding 144s on my 8.25 decks for some time. Been thinking about giving 149s a shot, though. No particular reason, just curious. Maybe the tiny bit of magic carpet (especially with DLX 8.25s which are often a bit wider in reality) slightly tickles my OCD, if something.

Any experiences on switching from 144s to 149s on a 8.25? Notable differences in feel/performance?

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1786 on: December 06, 2023, 06:39:49 AM »
149 is the best - I really think they're noticeably better feeling riding/grinding/whatever. It feels like Indy is designed to be at that size and the other ones feel like weird modifications of that model.

I ditched 139 and started skating 149 in 2012, with DLX 8.25s. At the time I remember there being two camps: 1) those who made the switch too. 2) Those who said I'd never be able to flip my board again.

Day one I had no issues with flip tricks and never looked back haha. Other than brief attempts at other truck brands I've pretty faithfully stuck to them, mostly on FA 8.38 (now shape2) or 8.5. IMO it works perfect 8.25-8.5.

Admittedly I've only ever had two sets of 144's - once when they first came out, and once recently when the shop didn't have any 149 and I thought I'd just be Mr. Chill-don't care guy. Both times I kinda didn't like them. Stuck with them for a bit the first time but this recent time I gave up after a month and ponied up for the 149s.

I half write this off as me being a psycho, but I will say - if you're a crooked grinder you won't know how you dealt with anything other than the 149's width.

I've currently got an amazing set going minus the squeakiest pivot cup on planet earth on the front truck.. I want to tinker and fix it but history tells me this will send me back to truck purgatory so I will chill  >:(

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1787 on: December 06, 2023, 06:50:09 AM »
I've been riding 144s on my 8.25 decks for some time. Been thinking about giving 149s a shot, though. No particular reason, just curious. Maybe the tiny bit of magic carpet (especially with DLX 8.25s which are often a bit wider in reality) slightly tickles my OCD, if something.

Any experiences on switching from 144s to 149s on a 8.25? Notable differences in feel/performance?

No experience on that exact combination, but as I wrote in gear madness thread, I personally enjoy the slightly wider than board trucks. More truck to grind, more stability. Might not work for everyone, though.

skateboardingenthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1788 on: December 06, 2023, 07:12:42 AM »

Not worth the switch, in my experience. The tiniest bit of magic carpet makes for better leverage in terms of commanding your board. The increased surface area for grinds is negligible. The added heft just isn’t worth the trade off. For pinchy tricks, I actually like when my trucks are just ever so slightly narrower than the width of the board because when I lock in on grinds, my weight is more over the board, making them feel more controlled.

When I tried 8.5 trucks on 8.25 width decks, the pinches felt more off to the side. It’s sort of counterintuitive, you would think it would be a better experience. But hey, there are people that prefer wider trucks than their their board afterall, so its worth a shot.

If you wanna save money and not get entirely new trucks but still want to get an idea of what wider trucks feel like, just throw some extra spacers in so your wheels stick out further. I tried this out too, didn’t really make much of a difference…

JM

• sup dog
« Reply #1789 on: December 06, 2023, 07:23:36 AM »
149 is the best - I really think they're noticeably better feeling riding/grinding/whatever. It feels like Indy is designed to be at that size and the other ones feel like weird modifications of that model.

I ditched 139 and started skating 149 in 2012, with DLX 8.25s. At the time I remember there being two camps: 1) those who made the switch too. 2) Those who said I'd never be able to flip my board again.

Day one I had no issues with flip tricks and never looked back haha. Other than brief attempts at other truck brands I've pretty faithfully stuck to them, mostly on FA 8.38 (now shape2) or 8.5. IMO it works perfect 8.25-8.5.

Admittedly I've only ever had two sets of 144's - once when they first came out, and once recently when the shop didn't have any 149 and I thought I'd just be Mr. Chill-don't care guy. Both times I kinda didn't like them. Stuck with them for a bit the first time but this recent time I gave up after a month and ponied up for the 149s.

I half write this off as me being a psycho, but I will say - if you're a crooked grinder you won't know how you dealt with anything other than the 149's width.

I've currently got an amazing set going minus the squeakiest pivot cup on planet earth on the front truck.. I want to tinker and fix it but history tells me this will send me back to truck purgatory so I will chill  >:(
I just went 144, after 149 for four years. It was all in my head about it being any different, but I’ve actually forgotten about them being 144.

Maaaaybe there’s a bit more slip out potential when turning? My kickflip got a little easier… since I’m terrible at them the improvement was noticeable.

Haven’t tried crooked yet on 144. Expecting it to be easier though as I learned them on 139’s a long time ago (and haven’t even really tried them much at all in the last four years).
Expand Quote
[close]

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1790 on: December 06, 2023, 10:02:32 AM »
I didn't love going from 148 to 149 Thunders, but I've almost exclusively had 8.25" trucks since I came back to skating. I usually just use a few washers inside to push the wheels out slightly since I ride a lot of 8.38s

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 575
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1791 on: December 06, 2023, 10:35:21 AM »
I didn't love going from 148 to 149 Thunders, but I've almost exclusively had 8.25" trucks since I came back to skating. I usually just use a few washers inside to push the wheels out slightly since I ride a lot of 8.38s

I think I would only fit 2 washers on the inside of Thunder 148s before I get nervous about the nut falling off. That happened to me a long time ago and sent me head first onto the concrete which was really shitty. How many washers inside are the max before the nut falls off for ya all?
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1792 on: December 06, 2023, 05:26:13 PM »

Good reading the different experiences with 144 to 149 sized trucks - people will often have things work better for their specific skating, but sometimes you have to try it first to see if it works for you, more so than anything else.

I started back on Indy 139s, 3 washers on the inside, none on the outside on 8 and 8.125 boards a long time ago (maybe twenty years), then from 2017 the first 144s on the 8.125 boards, two washers on the inside as the trucks sat nicely with the wheels on the edge of the board.

Then 2018 or so went up to 149s on 8.38 or 8.5 sized boards for the most part, back to three washers on the inside as a regular thing, sometimes even four washers if the bearings seemed like they were seated with room, nuts on the very end of the axle and never falling off, but if they were ever finger tight to put them on all the way, they would get swapped out without hesitation.  Always keep a good supply of spare nuts, bought in bulk I will never run out, but I keep and use more in the shop than I do at home.

I still see some people with one or no washers and smashed axle ends that need rethreading whenever they have to change out wheels or bearings, so I will usually offer free washers to put on if they want them - some people do, others do not for whatever reason.  I bought bulk packs of washers from various sources too, including ebay, skate distros, etc with some being thicker and some thinner, so sometimes to mix and match washer widths helps too.

Having all washers on the inside of my trucks to push the wheels right out will give me a few extra mm of hanger, so the 149s are almost 151s or so anyway, but I often ride wider wheels so they end up fairly normal compared to thinner wheels with minimal washers.  More than anything it is about having the wheels in line with the edge of the board, not under and not over, that makes it just right for me anyway.

That said, I can really feel the difference in any width truck, but if it is matched to the board width, it all works well for me, from 8 with 139s, 8.125 to 8.25 with 144s, 8.38 to 8.5 with 149s, 8.6 to 8.75 with 159s or 9 to 9.25 with 169s, even though some of those truck sizes can be a bit here or there to the boards, or even board widths vary, some with taper or shaped boards means changing truck sizes.

Gotta say though, that old unchanged DLX 8.25 shape does work well on 149s too, as it is a bit wider, but other true 8.25 boards just look and feel too narrow on my usual 149s when I had tried that sort of setup.

JM

• sup dog
« Reply #1793 on: December 06, 2023, 06:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I would only fit 2 washers on the inside of Thunder 148s before I get nervous about the nut falling off. That happened to me a long time ago and sent me head first onto the concrete which was really shitty. How many washers inside are the max before the nut falls off for ya all?
I got three washers on inside, one outside. Bones v1 shape. Indy’s
Expand Quote
[close]

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1794 on: December 06, 2023, 06:23:54 PM »
Same- any new truck seems to fit 4 total washers to get the nut flush. Right now on Venture 5.6 I have 2 inside and 1 out cuz I skated them too long with just 1 and the axle ends wore down a bit

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 602
« Reply #1795 on: December 06, 2023, 06:34:29 PM »
Could somebody tell me if ace and indy parts (hanger/baseplate) are compatible? Could get some titaniums or forged mids suuuuper cheap, and that would be an additional reason for me since I have a lot of ace parts.

pops

• Rep: 214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1796 on: December 07, 2023, 11:15:13 AM »
I've been thinking about going back to riding Indy after being on Aces for couple years. Nothing wrong with Aces really, I just wanna change my shit up. I would be mostly cruising and skating transition so I'm thinking about either 159s or if they're worth it, the Stage 4 151s.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #1797 on: December 07, 2023, 11:30:00 AM »
151s are a super fun diversion from Aces but they are heavy and the KP clearance is limited. Also, I personally prefer the Ace turn to the Stage 4 turn. I relegated my Stage 4s to a nostalgic reissue set up.

curb_cut

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1798 on: December 14, 2023, 09:48:00 AM »
Apologies if this has already been asked but, I recently got a pair of 144 forged hollows for a second setup and started to notice the sound of the truck when the wheels smack the ground was pretty gross. As well as the sound and feel even of grinding, rolling over cracks, and just in general felt nowhere near as good coming from solid axel AF1s.

I heard Ben Degros say something about the forged plate being responsible for the "tinny" sound which makes  sense. So my madness and curiosity made me try out the indy hollow hanger with an Ace classic baseplate. Sounds better than the forged plate but still has a kinda bunk sound & feel IMO. Sorry if this is blasphemy to anyone lol

So my question is basically will a solid axle indy standard have a more (no pun intended) solid feel and sound? Because riding the hollows coming off my AF1s makes the indys feel almost like a toy or something. I skated indy standards for years when I was younger and never paid attention and remember them feeling a lot nicer. What do you guys think bc Im itching to pull the trigger on a pair of standards and sell my lightly skated 144 forged hollows

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1799 on: December 14, 2023, 11:11:05 AM »
Its the hollow axle. Think about it- any reverberations pass through the wheels onto the axle, some is taken off by the material of bushings/pivot cups and can echo into the kingpin a bit. Personally I love the way the Venture V Cast sound, but in the past thought FH Indys sounded weird.