Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 122581 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2022, 08:52:14 AM »
Why is there kind of a conception that Indy's must be kept close to stock? I don't know the term precisely, but it's a conception that stock is best and everyone runs them stock. I see more people with cranked Indy's because they won't try harder bushings than I do with cranked Thunders but that's cuz I see more people willing to swap Thunder bushings out for something harder. It's almost a group-think mentality I even had it myself with Indy.

Don't think there is. Have only ever heard people say that about ace's. Me saying that in this instance is just an acknowledgement of my madness and me trying to handle it lol.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2022, 09:09:52 AM »
Why is there kind of a conception that Indy's must be kept close to stock? I don't know the term precisely, but it's a conception that stock is best and everyone runs them stock. I see more people with cranked Indy's because they won't try harder bushings than I do with cranked Thunders but that's cuz I see more people willing to swap Thunder bushings out for something harder. It's almost a group-think mentality I even had it myself with Indy.

Been like that forever..."why do my kingpins keep breaking" years and years ago form cranked down bushings.

More likely than not, people don't A) care or B) don't understand the concept of harder bushings. Of course there is no hard and fast rule about having to keep the nut flush either....

ACEs and Royals have tall pins compared to the rest, ACE with a taller top so it's sort of justified...royals...no idea but nut flush ain't happening with those stocks...to get them feeling good I've got about 2-3 threads showing...not a fan of the blue bushings either so ACE classics bushings it is (tall top eats up the tall pin)...and arguably they feel better with the ACE bushings (but then so does every barrel bushing based truck imo).

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2022, 02:02:54 PM »
I am going to make a bold/controversial statement.

People have been doing sick Smiths, Feebles, Hurricanes, etc. on curbs, ledges, rails, and vert for decades at this point...all  without IKPs, and as such, IKPs are little more than unnecessary gimmick. Go a tad faster. Adjust your technique. Maybe add a smidge of wax, because 30+ years of skate history demonstrably shows that standard kingpins are not a real problem (and yes, I've skated IKPs--I actually had a set Indy forged plate IKPs in the prototype stage...and quickly went back to regular forged plates).   

Should DM the boss like a man and break it down to him…..

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2022, 02:53:15 PM »

It is definitely a personal thing.

Truck choice really does depend on how you skate and what you like to do.  I have boards with lots of trucks, more than anything just to be able to let people skate them and see what the trucks are like, but most I can skate well enough on whatever setups they are on, be it Thunder, Venture, Ace, Destructo, Theeve, or any of the other brands.

Indy just ticks all the boxes for me, all the sizes I need for whatever boards I want to ride, tall enough with bigger wheels, turns great for how I like my boards to feel, good kingpin clearance, even more after I angle grind down the kingpins a couple of threads, etc.

Speaking of that, someone sent me this a while back and I had saved it (sorry I forgot if anyone had posted it before too).

Reynolds had someone machine down his kingpins a couple of threads and it looks very well done.

Anyone have the instructions to do this?

I got my 149 setup with the pig hards and they’re good but I kinda prefer the stock orange cranked down cause you know

Pulls the hangar back and has a tight setup but soft bushing thing going on where you still get some lean but it’s tight so you can pop straight up with no effort
yes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2022, 04:56:52 PM »

I got my 149 setup with the pig hards and they’re good but I kinda prefer the stock orange cranked down cause you know

Pulls the hangar back and has a tight setup but soft bushing thing going on where you still get some lean but it’s tight so you can pop straight up with no effort

There is probably a simple process with exactly the right tools in a machine shop or something, but an angle grinder does a fairly solid job for me, maybe without it looking quite nicely finished and professional, but if I tried I could definitely make it look very close to that.

Before going hard at it, I would say to have a go on some older / almost worn out kingpins first, but in general, have everything on the setup where you want it, truck all mounted, bushings how you like them and see how much kingpin is sticking up.

Then with the grinder just do a bit at a time, some from the left, some right, etc so you are not heating the kingpin too much (which can cook the bushings to bubbling point) but ever so slightly rounding it off as you go.  Even do one for a bit, then the other for a bit, to give it time to cool, but I usually did up to three threads on each in maybe five or so minutes without issue.

As long as you round the kingpin heads a bit as you go, the nut will still easily come off and go back on fine too, but you can take it down to just above where you want it easily, giving you more kingpin clearance on any truck.

I did this a while back, for show and tell:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2022, 05:48:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't think there is. Have only ever heard people say that about ace's. Me saying that in this instance is just an acknowledgement of my madness and me trying to handle it lol.

See also- the dude a few posts up that would rather crank oranges than run bushings that are working for him.

Also came up in the Ben/GH truck video a few times "you buy them and they just work you don't need to touch anything".

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2022, 07:12:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

See also- the dude a few posts up that would rather crank oranges than run bushings that are working for him.

Also came up in the Ben/GH truck video a few times "you buy them and they just work you don't need to touch anything".

"Because, ya know"

No, actually I don't.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2022, 09:00:59 PM »
I’ve always rode Indy’s stock. I hate cranking them down and seeing my kingpin. I threw some Indy Hard bushings (black) in my forged hollows, and I love it. Good turn and still responsive. Less kingpin showing and hoping they last longer than the stock orange bushings

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2022, 09:10:08 PM »
I’ve been on an ACE kick for 2 years now, switched couple of set-ups over.

Bought some classic 11s for a cruiser build, but wasn’t quite happy with it, they were a touch too wide. So I switched them for the Indy 101s (about 37 years old) I had on my 4-year old’s board, changed up the bushings and it TURNS.

I had to redrill mounting holes to accommodate the old hole pattern, but damn, the old geometry is beautiful.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ghost Face

• Rep: 104
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2022, 11:13:31 PM »
Expand Quote

Truck choice really does depend on how you skate and what you like to do.  I have boards with lots of trucks, more than anything just to be able to let people skate them and see what the trucks are like, but most I can skate well enough on whatever setups they are on, be it Thunder, Venture, Ace, Destructo, Theeve, or any of the other brands.

Indy just ticks all the boxes for me, all the sizes I need for whatever boards I want to ride, tall enough with bigger wheels, turns great for how I like my boards to feel, good kingpin clearance, even more after I angle grind down the kingpins a couple of threads, etc.

Speaking of that, someone sent me this a while back and I had saved it (sorry I forgot if anyone had posted it before too).

Reynolds had someone machine down his kingpins a couple of threads and it looks very well done.

[close]

Take the hanger off and get an older nut you don't might ruining the nylock on.
Turn that nut all the way down the thread.
Cut thread at desired height with a grinder. Run then grinder around it to neaten it up.
Then unthread that old nut and it should cut a nice groove on the way off. Maybe run it up and down a couple times to clean the thread up.
Then you should be good to go.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

IpathCats

« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2022, 04:31:41 AM »

Bought some classic 11s for a cruiser build, but wasn’t quite happy with it, they were a touch too wide. So I switched them for the Indy 101s (about 37 years old) I had on my 4-year old’s board, changed up the bushings and it TURNS.

I had to redrill mounting holes to accommodate the old hole pattern, but damn, the old geometry is beautiful.

I have some 22 classics on a zip zinger but I've been considering 109s for it just out of curiosity and that cool looking T hanger.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2022, 06:12:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have some 22 classics on a zip zinger but I've been considering 109s for it just out of curiosity and that cool looking T hanger.

They are sick looking for sure. They came off an old Freestyle deck, and had the bushings upside down to prevent turning too much, so I never really gave them a fair chance, just threw some Bones bushings in and made it soft enough for my daughter to learn how to turn.

But I changed up the bushings again and now it has a really nice squirrelly turn.

The 109’s are pretty much the same geometry from what I understand, just a tad different in axle size I think.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2022, 06:55:52 PM »

The pics might be a bit on the poor side, but these ones taken last night after the session, two of my boards, one untouched stock and the other modified for comparison.  Same angle looking down to see how much difference there is in kingpin clearance.

This one I had modified and took a little more time to make the kingpin nice, rather than just round off the head at the nut on an old worn truck.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
If you don't have a grinder, then a good quality metal file would probably take the kingpin down. A Nicholson bastard file isn't too expensive, and you'd be less likely to over-do it if you're not familiar with powered grinders.

I recently tried Indy 'medium hard' bushings (the blue ones) and like them. I think they're 92 duro, whereas the stock orange bushings are 90.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2022, 10:45:08 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, time to add another Milwaukee tool to my arsenal haha

Gnar to all

Yeah I did what would be common sense/smart and throw in harder bushings(Indy blue, black and even the yellow) but it wasn’t the same as cranking them down

Also drawback on the pigs, tightening them too much they rip like dohdohs did. The material they use is almost like plastic rubber hybrid

Cranking them down just puts the geo where I want it to be, idk how insignificant but it does pull the hangar back
yes

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2022, 12:18:13 PM »

This post reminded me that I can't think of any footage of Reynolds smith grinding something.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2022, 09:28:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This post reminded me that I can't think of any footage of Reynolds smith grinding something.

Plus we all know he has OD madness. Seems to be the case here. Good point out.

IpathCats

« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2022, 05:11:33 AM »
yea @Xen idk wtf i was thinking, these standards are way too heavy lmfao. Madness is a bitch.

I should rephrase that, I know what i was thinking, i posted it a while back. I was just wrong hahaha.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:24:03 AM by IpathCats »

IpathCats

« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2022, 06:09:28 AM »
Ti hangers on cast plates is pretty nice. @LebowskisRug was right.

IpathCats

« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2022, 06:16:57 AM »
Bumping to reiterate 149 Ti hangers on cast plates. Idk how my madness hasnt brought me to try this sooner. I just had a full day of skating diy/street/park. All places i had never been (took a day trip to richmond) and my trucks felt great everywhere. I'm even running the standard bushings which i havent done in years. These jawns tight, highly recommend.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2022, 07:23:09 AM »
I have two of the exact same set ups, Crail - Loveseat on Indy, and the other on Ace, both have their merits. Indy’s are lighter (titanium), more stable, and grind better, but god damn Ace just has a magical turn. I switch it up regularly and don’t have a preference really.

I haven’t run stock orange bushings on Indy’s in years though aside on Titanium 169’s that I don’t skate much; for a while I went with soft red but the last set I had took so long to break in so now I run the super soft white. Ace I run completely stock and felt great first session.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

IpathCats

« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2022, 07:31:04 AM »
I have two of the exact same set ups, Crail - Loveseat on Indy, and the other on Ace, both have their merits. Indy’s are lighter (titanium), more stable, and grind better, but god damn Ace just has a magical turn. I switch it up regularly and don’t have a preference really.

I haven’t run stock orange bushings on Indy’s in years though aside on Titanium 169’s that I don’t skate much; for a while I went with soft red but the last set I had took so long to break in so now I run the super soft white. Ace I run completely stock and felt great first session.

Ace's are fun. But i keep them on my boards that i dont really care about landing tricks on for a reason haha.  pop, grind, pinch, and stability are all pretty poor for me. I'll keep them on my cruisers. Indy's if im trying to ACTUALLY skate.

IpathCats

« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2022, 05:35:36 AM »
Bumping to say that Gustav rides 149's (forged i think?)

Yes, this is important

Yes, I DM'd him

Yes, I did it like a man

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2022, 05:52:21 AM »

Yes, this is important

Yes, I DM'd him

Yes, I did it like a man
That's what I ride. Makes me like them even more.

IpathCats

« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2022, 06:02:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Yes, this is important

Yes, I DM'd him

Yes, I did it like a man
[close]
That's what I ride. Makes me like them even more.

Me too

149's seem to be the most universal truck

LebowskisRug

« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2022, 06:29:08 AM »
To me the size matters less than if forged or not. Ave rides forged and Mids it seems. 149 seems really common with pros. He rides the HLC 8.3 and 8.25, which kinda taper towards the rail and are wider in the middle. You can definitely tell he's on 149.

I've been liking Thunder and skating well on them but this thread always kicks off shitty madness. I have a setup for my son that is an old deck with 144 cast/ti and no wheels. I've skated it a few times and I still skate well on them, but some things just aren't as consistent and coming off Thunders the height does throw me off a bit, but it helps with landing near wheel bite and I have my best nose manuals and manuals with them. Wheels are back off and I put the mega soft conical bushings in as he only weighs 32lb but he's getting the hang of leaning and balancing on it

IpathCats

« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2022, 07:03:05 AM »
To me the size matters less than if forged or not. Ave rides forged and Mids it seems. 149 seems really common with pros. He rides the HLC 8.3 and 8.25, which kinda taper towards the rail and are wider in the middle. You can definitely tell he's on 149.

I've been liking Thunder and skating well on them but this thread always kicks off shitty madness. I have a setup for my son that is an old deck with 144 cast/ti and no wheels. I've skated it a few times and I still skate well on them, but some things just aren't as consistent and coming off Thunders the height does throw me off a bit, but it helps with landing near wheel bite and I have my best nose manuals and manuals with them. Wheels are back off and I put the mega soft conical bushings in as he only weighs 32lb but he's getting the hang of leaning and balancing on it

I like 144s on forged plates, i like 149 on cast. The recent swap to ti hangers on cast plates has been perfect for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2022, 08:03:48 AM »
I just moved up to 149s, but all my old Indy stuff is 144 and my hangers were really getting solid grooves

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2022, 09:59:05 AM »
Y’all have me wanting to put cast baseplates on ti hangers.

What’s the pros and cons does the taller baseplate bring? I went from thunder to Royal and back to Indy tis and kept the forge baseplate cause I thought it would be the height I’m used to.  I know I can just try but I don’t have a ton of time to skate so I don’t wanna spend it switch baseplates and stuff if it’s not gonna fit my style. I skate typically ledges and some diy tranny

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
Y’all have me wanting to put cast baseplates on ti hangers.

What’s the pros and cons does the taller baseplate bring? I went from thunder to Royal and back to Indy tis and kept the forge baseplate cause I thought it would be the height I’m used to.  I know I can just try but I don’t have a ton of time to skate so I don’t wanna spend it switch baseplates and stuff if it’s not gonna fit my style. I skate typically ledges and some diy tranny

Pro: Taller cast plate will bring them up to the standard 55mm allowing you to accommodate bigger wheels without the use of risers

Con: Heavier than forged if that matters to you
Con: Could feel tippy if you are used to low(er) trucks

If the forged plates works for you, don't worry about it. My only experience with indy cast and ti hanger is using the aftermarket IKP cast plate, which are heavier than the standard cast plates so the ti hanger weight reduction was pretty much moot; skating them was just a tall indy. Personally, I like the forged height (53.5) and the forged mid (50.5)...if I'm hitting any tranny I'll use the forged ti and some 53/54mm wheels.