Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 124820 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #2100 on: April 07, 2024, 07:32:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone who's skated anything from 8.25-9" trucks tried 215's? I'm considering trying some but idk if it's gonna feel super weird with all the hanger space on curbs/coping. Or maybe it will feel amazing?
[close]

Takes a minute to get used to but once you do it’s great. Normally on a 9 w/159s but got a few 10+ decks and run 215s w/o issues.

Thanks man. I pulled the trigger, fuck it. Now I need to find a needle in a haystack board that's as symmetrical as possible with a short wheelbase. So far seems like heroin eggs are my only option.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #2101 on: April 08, 2024, 10:47:36 AM »
Ive been riding indy forged hollows for a while now, and more recently Ive noticed the axle thread goes from zero to stripped super fast. Its annoying the fuck out of me for the last two sets had one where even with a re threader, I still couldnt get the nut on and the other had the wheel stuck on it.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2102 on: April 08, 2024, 11:00:38 AM »
I put three washers on so the nut takes the most beating and my axles stay pretty good for the life of the truck

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2103 on: April 08, 2024, 11:41:13 AM »
I put three washers on so the nut takes the most beating and my axles stay pretty good for the life of the truck

I've been doing the same thing for years and can't go back. A lot of spots I skate are really crusty and it definitely helps keeps the axles from getting chewed up too soon.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #2104 on: April 08, 2024, 01:20:58 PM »

Well… complain mostly.

But consider getting an aftermarket Indy bushing that is a different hardness so the nut can be tightened down enough to be flush with the top of kingpin, and still have the loose turn. So either the red or white.

There’s also Bones bushing that works well installed properly with the washer instead of the standard washers from the Indy truck. They blow out quicker. But they immediately feel good.

Current stock Indy bushings are okay for many, but for others like yourself, they feel like shit.

Aftermarket Indy bushings (dumb, they should just come with these instead of the duds from the factory) of all duros feel better and break in far easier/faster.

Depending on how loose/tight you want, look for the color/duro that matches your preference and then from there, pick Conical or Barrel. If you want looser but don't wanna tighten the nut too hard, 92, 94, or 96 can work well.  If you go conical, even better turning/rebound compared to barrel.

TL;DR - Aftermarket Indy Bushings in the 90 or 92 are probably your best bet. Indy's conical shape is closer to Thunder bushings that you're used to.

www.nhsskatedirect.com/collections/independent-trucks-cushions

Thanks fellas, appreciate it. Got a new set of bushings ordered.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2105 on: April 08, 2024, 03:09:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Well… complain mostly.

But consider getting an aftermarket Indy bushing that is a different hardness so the nut can be tightened down enough to be flush with the top of kingpin, and still have the loose turn. So either the red or white.

There’s also Bones bushing that works well installed properly with the washer instead of the standard washers from the Indy truck. They blow out quicker. But they immediately feel good.
[close]

Expand Quote

Current stock Indy bushings are okay for many, but for others like yourself, they feel like shit.

Aftermarket Indy bushings (dumb, they should just come with these instead of the duds from the factory) of all duros feel better and break in far easier/faster.

Depending on how loose/tight you want, look for the color/duro that matches your preference and then from there, pick Conical or Barrel. If you want looser but don't wanna tighten the nut too hard, 92, 94, or 96 can work well.  If you go conical, even better turning/rebound compared to barrel.

TL;DR - Aftermarket Indy Bushings in the 90 or 92 are probably your best bet. Indy's conical shape is closer to Thunder bushings that you're used to.

[close]

Just set up a new set of Indy, left them stock for three sessions, bushings were just so damn soft and squishy / mushy, took them off and cleaned everything off, as there seemed to be some coating on the truck hanger itself, now feeling way more normal and not at all squishy.

Never had / seen that before, or at least not to that extent, but that could have something to do with it too, as I tried the swap and change between two other sets on boards that work well, so the new bushings worked on those trucks, but any bushings I put in this new set were so squishy.

Granted not everyone has the luxury of trying a whole lot of different things right there, but this is about the most variance I have ever seen with stock Indy trucks.

I usually swap in the Indy aftermarket 92 duro bushings and have no issues with them, just gentle first couple of sessions and then they are fine for the life of the trucks, but I have been trying the stock bushings a little more of late, just to see if they are worth keeping.

Overall I think it really comes down to whether or not the stock duro feels comfortable, but the aftermarket Indy bushings have always been a good go to - never personally had any issues with them, although some people who didn't go easy on them first have split or had damage to them from going too hard too soon.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

smg1138

« Reply #2106 on: April 15, 2024, 09:22:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Well… complain mostly.

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just set up a new set of Indy, left them stock for three sessions, bushings were just so damn soft and squishy / mushy, took them off and cleaned everything off, as there seemed to be some coating on the truck hanger itself, now feeling way more normal and not at all squishy.

Never had / seen that before, or at least not to that extent, but that could have something to do with it too, as I tried the swap and change between two other sets on boards that work well, so the new bushings worked on those trucks, but any bushings I put in this new set were so squishy.

Granted not everyone has the luxury of trying a whole lot of different things right there, but this is about the most variance I have ever seen with stock Indy trucks.

I usually swap in the Indy aftermarket 92 duro bushings and have no issues with them, just gentle first couple of sessions and then they are fine for the life of the trucks, but I have been trying the stock bushings a little more of late, just to see if they are worth keeping.

Overall I think it really comes down to whether or not the stock duro feels comfortable, but the aftermarket Indy bushings have always been a good go to - never personally had any issues with them, although some people who didn't go easy on them first have split or had damage to them from going too hard too soon.

Stock Indy bushings are actually pretty good now. Back in the day they were terrible and would crack super easy if you didn't break them in first. The newer aftermarket Indy bushings are really nice too. I'm liking the Black 94a in my standard Indy's and the Blue 92a in my standard Ventures. The washers that come with them are terrible and don't even fit the barrel bushing correctly though. IDK why NHS can't just include the same washers that actually come with the trucks because those are perfect.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2107 on: April 15, 2024, 04:10:08 PM »

Stock Indy bushings are actually pretty good now. Back in the day they were terrible and would crack super easy if you didn't break them in first. The newer aftermarket Indy bushings are really nice too. I'm liking the Black 94a in my standard Indy's and the Blue 92a in my standard Ventures. The washers that come with them are terrible and don't even fit the barrel bushing correctly though. IDK why NHS can't just include the same washers that actually come with the trucks because those are perfect.

Stock bottom washers don't fit in the plastic aftermarket bushing containers either, so that shows the difference in width right there.

More often than not I take off the bottom edge of the bushings so they fit a little better in those aftermarket washers, but I also run the bushings with both sets of rings towards the hanger, if that makes sense, so they do fit just a little better than having the side with the rings facing down towards the washer for the bottom bushing.

I think those black ones are also a different fit too, as others have said before, so when I went and checked, sure enough they didn't fit as well - sit taller and a touch wider, for whatever reason.

I usually just use the conical bushings in my trucks, but I have tried to keep both the conical and cylinder in every option in the shop and have messed around with sets just to see how they all perform and what works best, as well as others I skate with always using them - the blue, black, yellow as well as the white and red, but not many people ever swap in the aftermarket orange.  I guess they are a whole lot better now, as you said too.

The stock set I had drama with are fine and working well in a board I have for my mini ramp, but I usually ride a little stiffer elsewhere - skateparks or spots.

smg1138

« Reply #2108 on: April 16, 2024, 11:05:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stock bottom washers don't fit in the plastic aftermarket bushing containers either, so that shows the difference in width right there.

More often than not I take off the bottom edge of the bushings so they fit a little better in those aftermarket washers, but I also run the bushings with both sets of rings towards the hanger, if that makes sense, so they do fit just a little better than having the side with the rings facing down towards the washer for the bottom bushing.

I think those black ones are also a different fit too, as others have said before, so when I went and checked, sure enough they didn't fit as well - sit taller and a touch wider, for whatever reason.

I usually just use the conical bushings in my trucks, but I have tried to keep both the conical and cylinder in every option in the shop and have messed around with sets just to see how they all perform and what works best, as well as others I skate with always using them - the blue, black, yellow as well as the white and red, but not many people ever swap in the aftermarket orange.  I guess they are a whole lot better now, as you said too.

The stock set I had drama with are fine and working well in a board I have for my mini ramp, but I usually ride a little stiffer elsewhere - skateparks or spots.

I totally get what you mean about the direction of the bushings. I always put the rounded smooth side against the boardside washer because I feel like it fits into the cup better that way. As far as the Black 94a aftermarket bushings, I didn't realize they were a different size. I thought they made the geometry feel slightly different, but I just chalked it up to my madness haha! When I get home from work tonight, I've got some bushing inspections to do  ;D

rikki

• Rep: 285
« Reply #2109 on: April 17, 2024, 11:16:22 PM »
In a nutshell, what are the caveats for riding Indy Mids? I've never owned a truck with an inverted kingpin. I've understood some people absolutely hate them – what are the possible reasons for this?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2110 on: April 18, 2024, 02:08:17 AM »
In a nutshell, what are the caveats for riding Indy Mids? I've never owned a truck with an inverted kingpin. I've understood some people absolutely hate them – what are the possible reasons for this?

The mids have these different features:

- they are heavier than any other truck on the market (for the standard mids anyway)
- they are 52mm tall, or 50.5 with forged baseplates
- the inverted kingpin comes loose the way any nyloc stops working after a while, some sooner than others, maybe depending on how much you mess with your kingpin over time, but people also say that it loosens off itself, more often if you don't have it tightened right down as far as it can go
- the inverted kingpin catches on grinds for some people, even with whatever clearance it is supposed to have
- the inverted kingpin arrangement can come loose, in that the kingpin can widen out the baseplate hole and move side to side for some people, which makes the turn and feel of the trucks a lot more wobbly feeling
- the inverted kingpin itself only has limited threads, which for some people don't go down far enough into the baseplate
- NHS warranty have a specific category for "Indy mid kingpin / baseplate issue" so it is not a single thing here or there

As far as the truck itself, some people really like them, but others seem to have had nothing but trouble with them, so make of that what you will.  The inverted baseplate has been added to standard truck lines now too, even with all the known issues, but it has a lot more kingpin clearance than usual / standard arrangements so some people would like it more for that.

I have had quite a few sets come through my hands, some of which I still have on boards with no issues, but others have been returned for warranty issues, or some people who have had them have just given to others just to get rid of them.

That might sum it up well enough for now anyway.

rikki

« Reply #2111 on: April 18, 2024, 02:50:46 AM »
Expand Quote
In a nutshell, what are the caveats for riding Indy Mids? I've never owned a truck with an inverted kingpin. I've understood some people absolutely hate them – what are the possible reasons for this?
[close]

The mids have these different features:

- they are heavier than any other truck on the market (for the standard mids anyway)
- they are 52mm tall, or 50.5 with forged baseplates
- the inverted kingpin comes loose the way any nyloc stops working after a while, some sooner than others, maybe depending on how much you mess with your kingpin over time, but people also say that it loosens off itself, more often if you don't have it tightened right down as far as it can go
- the inverted kingpin catches on grinds for some people, even with whatever clearance it is supposed to have
- the inverted kingpin arrangement can come loose, in that the kingpin can widen out the baseplate hole and move side to side for some people, which makes the turn and feel of the trucks a lot more wobbly feeling
- the inverted kingpin itself only has limited threads, which for some people don't go down far enough into the baseplate
- NHS warranty have a specific category for "Indy mid kingpin / baseplate issue" so it is not a single thing here or there

As far as the truck itself, some people really like them, but others seem to have had nothing but trouble with them, so make of that what you will.  The inverted baseplate has been added to standard truck lines now too, even with all the known issues, but it has a lot more kingpin clearance than usual / standard arrangements so some people would like it more for that.

I have had quite a few sets come through my hands, some of which I still have on boards with no issues, but others have been returned for warranty issues, or some people who have had them have just given to others just to get rid of them.

That might sum it up well enough for now anyway.

Thank you, a great summary. I'll know to steer away from them based on this. Not that I was seriously contemplating getting them anyway.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2112 on: April 18, 2024, 04:46:44 AM »
After those axles slipped on my 149 ti's I went back to some thunder standard 149s, and would you believe it, those axles slipped a week later.

Never slipped an axel before in my 24 years skateboarding (or at least I never noticed it), and it just happened twice in like a month. So weird.

I bought some 149 forged hollows, hopefully that axel stays put!

231st Street

• Rep: -200
« Reply #2113 on: April 18, 2024, 07:16:12 AM »
After those axles slipped on my 149 ti's I went back to some thunder standard 149s, and would you believe it, those axles slipped a week later.

Never slipped an axel before in my 24 years skateboarding (or at least I never noticed it), and it just happened twice in like a month. So weird.

Dumb question, but what exactly is a slipped axle?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #2114 on: April 18, 2024, 07:35:40 AM »

Check to make sure your axle nut nyocks aren't worn out/replace your axle nuts before writing modern trucks off as 'slipped axles'.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2115 on: April 18, 2024, 07:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dumb question, but what exactly is a slipped axle?

When the axel rod in your hanger becomes loose, causing it to shift from side to side. Usually just a little at first, but it worsens over time.

Check to make sure your axle nut nyocks aren't worn out/replace your axle nuts before writing modern trucks off as 'slipped axles'.

When you have one wheel tighten on its own and tapping the opposite end of the axel on the ground causes the overtightened wheel to spin freely again, I assure you the issue is not with the nylock.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2116 on: April 18, 2024, 09:46:57 AM »
It’s been brought up before but during Covid some of the QC went down.  At least on your thunders, try and warranty them….DLX is pretty good usually. 

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2117 on: April 19, 2024, 11:44:48 AM »
Still wondering how in the hell you guys manage to break Indys. Pretty much only truck company that i've yet to encounter any problems

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2118 on: April 19, 2024, 02:54:38 PM »
Still wondering how in the hell you guys manage to break Indys. Pretty much only truck company that i've yet to encounter any problems

I feel like the axel slip thing is just bad luck.

Indys are def the most durable truck from my experiences.

This is the first time I've ever had any issue with an Indy that wasn't preference related like changing bushings/pivot cups.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2119 on: April 19, 2024, 06:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is the first time I've ever had any issue with an Indy that wasn't preference related like changing bushings/pivot cups.

I think working in a shop environment for 20+ years, I have probably seen almost every brand or every product with issues, be it manufacturing fault, random break, user error or even malicious intent to make it look like something happened in order to get a new set of trucks, but any which way, the majority of all products will work and hold up fine for the user with the intended purpose.

More than anything, I find that some things can be put down to specific situations, but other things are so random it just doesn't make sense, or it is hard to believe that some trucks break through certain areas more than others.

Running a board at full speed into a curb can break the hanger at the pivot point - seen a guy push it in a rage once with that exact result.

Getting run over by a car can cause baseplate or hanger to crack or break entirely, usually very easy to see and notice, but sometimes a little harder to work out if there is not that much damage.

Other things can be a bit more random, but it still happens - axles snap, or move causing axle slip, as per a few trucks I have seen more recently too.  Not a lot of other issues from Indy but I am sure things happen at times.  I guess most of the time not a whole lot of people see or hear about it, unless someone posts it on here or into other groups or online, etc.

rikki

« Reply #2120 on: April 20, 2024, 12:52:20 AM »
Given the amount of abuse trucks get in skateboarding in general, I'm actually amazed people don't have more problems with their trucks. Screw a few axle slips which are amplified by places like Slap and kudos to the gods of engineering skills.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2121 on: April 20, 2024, 06:15:14 AM »
Given the amount of abuse trucks get in skateboarding in general, I'm actually amazed people don't have more problems with their trucks. Screw a few axle slips which are amplified by places like Slap and kudos to the gods of engineering skills.

Yea I'm definitely not trying to overblow the issue or anything. I know how easy it is for people to get whipped into a frenzy on here. Like I said, this is the first time in 24+ years this has happened to me.

Which is really why I posted about it, I was genuinely surprised. I doubt it is the new norm or anything.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #2122 on: April 20, 2024, 06:32:52 AM »
Yeah, I don’t think axels slip as much as they used to I have an old set from the 80’s, stage 5s that I’ll skate sometimes. Doing next to nothing the kingpin snapped….i forgot how common that used to be. 

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2123 on: April 20, 2024, 06:33:46 AM »
Yeah, I don’t think axels slip as much as they used to I have an old set from the 80’s, stage 5s that I’ll skate sometimes. Doing next to nothing the kingpin snapped….i forgot how common that used to be.

No doubt, trucks have def come a long way since then.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #2124 on: April 20, 2024, 08:15:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think working in a shop environment for 20+ years, I have probably seen almost every brand or every product with issues, be it manufacturing fault, random break, user error or even malicious intent to make it look like something happened in order to get a new set of trucks, but any which way, the majority of all products will work and hold up fine for the user with the intended purpose.

More than anything, I find that some things can be put down to specific situations, but other things are so random it just doesn't make sense, or it is hard to believe that some trucks break through certain areas more than others.

Running a board at full speed into a curb can break the hanger at the pivot point - seen a guy push it in a rage once with that exact result.

Getting run over by a car can cause baseplate or hanger to crack or break entirely, usually very easy to see and notice, but sometimes a little harder to work out if there is not that much damage.

Other things can be a bit more random, but it still happens - axles snap, or move causing axle slip, as per a few trucks I have seen more recently too.  Not a lot of other issues from Indy but I am sure things happen at times.  I guess most of the time not a whole lot of people see or hear about it, unless someone posts it on here or into other groups or online, etc.
Mm, mm, yes, yes….  indeed.

I would like to add that cars running over decks can break them sometimes. That should be added to the list.

;D
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

rikki

« Reply #2125 on: April 20, 2024, 09:22:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea I'm definitely not trying to overblow the issue or anything. I know how easy it is for people to get whipped into a frenzy on here. Like I said, this is the first time in 24+ years this has happened to me.

Which is really why I posted about it, I was genuinely surprised. I doubt it is the new norm or anything.

Yeah, respect, my post wasn't intended at you, sorry if i came off that way. Axle slips can happen and they do suck.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2126 on: April 21, 2024, 06:17:13 AM »
I’ve been playing with fire lately with how loose my 149s are. The kingpin nut is barely hanging by a thread and I know it’s going to fall off when I least expect it.

If watching Ben DeGros videos has taught me anything, it’s that I understand how trucks work through feel but definitely not through engineering. I’ve never shaved down bushings before, and was wondering if anyone knows which one - top or bottom barrel - would be smarter to shave down in order to allow for more nut security (heh) but without sacrificing turnability.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2127 on: April 21, 2024, 06:28:41 AM »
I’ve been playing with fire lately with how loose my 149s are. The kingpin nut is barely hanging by a thread and I know it’s going to fall off when I least expect it.

If watching Ben DeGros videos has taught me anything, it’s that I understand how trucks work through feel but definitely not through engineering. I’ve never shaved down bushings before, and was wondering if anyone knows which one - top or bottom barrel - would be smarter to shave down in order to allow for more nut security (heh) but without sacrificing turnability.
I think probably top.
Unless I'm wrong I think fucking with the bottom bushing will change the angle of your hangar and/or if still loose enough the hangar can pop up and down out of the baseplate

smg1138

« Reply #2128 on: April 21, 2024, 08:10:17 AM »
Just got a set of 144 Standards and the pivot cups are super loose and jiggly. I thought that was only an issue on the forged plates. I put the hangers on a set of old USA made plates and they're totally solid. Bums me out to see QC going down the drain like this on Indy's.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #2129 on: April 21, 2024, 08:50:42 AM »
Just got a set of 144 Standards and the pivot cups are super loose and jiggly. I thought that was only an issue on the forged plates. I put the hangers on a set of old USA made plates and they're totally solid. Bums me out to see QC going down the drain like this on Indy's.
I had a wiggly pivot point of the hangar inside the pivot cup of a set of Hollows from a shop earlier this year (brand new stock fresh from DLX). Bummed me out, too.

It also made my board go way crooked unless I pushed it back the other way before going. I could also feel it go not-straight when pushing off.

I took photos of how far it moved side to side in the pivot cup and wrote NHS warranty and asked if this normal and to be expected on trucks these days because I had NEVER had that problem with Indy’s in the last 25 years of skating them.

They asked me to ship them back and then they wrote me a week or two later and said that the pivot point of the hangar was milled too much and was not within tolerances.

They sent me a brand new pair.

I was out trucks for those 2-3 weeks so I had to use old trucks, but I got by.

I think if you present photo evidence and phrase it as a question and whether the wiggly truck is to be expected quality going forward (not in a dick way, just in a way of “is this something I should get used to”?) and you haven’t made a lot of warranty claims with them and don’t appear you’re just mooching, NHS should be understanding and work with you.

Good luck  :P

Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit