Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118569 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
I run 149s on 8.5 bloards but have been considering sizing down to 144s on 8.38 today. Mostly to improve my abismal flip game.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2022, 10:19:11 AM »
I prefer the lower height of forged plates. They definitely wheelbite faster/easier, but I personally rarely get pitched because of it.

I found an old board at my parent's house from 2010 with Stage 10s recently. They sure loved using that stupid iron cross logo back then..

IpathCats

« Reply #242 on: October 25, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »
Y’all have me wanting to put cast baseplates on ti hangers.

What’s the pros and cons does the taller baseplate bring? I went from thunder to Royal and back to Indy tis and kept the forge baseplate cause I thought it would be the height I’m used to.  I know I can just try but I don’t have a ton of time to skate so I don’t wanna spend it switch baseplates and stuff if it’s not gonna fit my style. I skate typically ledges and some diy tranny

Given your previous time on other lower trucks, I wouldn't suggest it unless you want to run larger wheels, or you are looking to alter the pop feel of your indys. Cast plates are heavier and taller, so consider how that would change the feel of your board. slightly harder to pop, takes a hair longer for the tail to hit the ground.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2022, 11:15:05 AM »
I run 149s on 8.5 bloards but have been considering sizing down to 144s on 8.38 today. Mostly to improve my abismal flip game.

It's not that big of a game changer and I've weighed the pros and cons as I ride 8.38 and the pros are more in favor of 149 for more grind room.

IpathCats

« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »

Easier to flip, especially if youre on 149 standards and move to a hollow/forge/ti 144. but less grind room and stability. be aware that moving from cast to forged plates will def alter your popfeel

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »
Thanks lads I guess I would stick to hollows. I like the height on those meaning I can run them without risers. I had 144s before and never felt restrained on grinds. We‘ll see, my 149s have some life in them still and I have two 8.5 decks on ice so I don‘t have to make up my mind just yet.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2022, 12:35:12 PM »
Re forged vs. standard....unless you are one of those people who has an acute like/dislike for the way forged vs. cast plates feel, you can always make a forged plate a tad taller with small riser. However, you can never make a cast plate lower. Thus, forged gives you more height options, w/o tweaking anything else on your set-up (e.g. wheel size). 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2022, 02:06:28 PM »
Peter Hewitt actually runs 159 Forged Ti with risers for that reason because his wheels weigh about as much as a midsized sedan.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2022, 02:37:05 PM »
Peter Hewitt actually runs 159 Forged Ti with risers for that reason because his wheels weigh about as much as a midsized sedan.

LOL.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2022, 01:41:23 PM »
Standard height stage 11 with IKP. That's a new thing, right?

https://www.titus-shop.com/en/independent-truck-144-stage-11-louie-lopez-ikp-black-0123468/

IpathCats

« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2022, 03:37:58 PM »
Standard height stage 11 with IKP. That's a new thing, right?

https://www.titus-shop.com/en/independent-truck-144-stage-11-louie-lopez-ikp-black-0123468/

I certainly haven't seen these before.

Would be cool if they offered titanium hangers on the standard height ikp plates.

IpathCats

« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2022, 03:42:37 PM »
Do we know if more pros ride the standard or forged plates? I would be curious to know if one is much preferred over the other and not just a total toss up.

I guess you would kind of have to break that down by discipline though. Transition/street.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2022, 12:49:51 AM »
Do we know if more pros ride the standard or forged plates? I would be curious to know if one is much preferred over the other and not just a total toss up.

I guess you would kind of have to break that down by discipline though. Transition/street.

I think I read or heard somewhere - Thrasher mag or IG that most pros just run whatever is in the box, which is usually the standards, unless they specifically request for Hollow, Ti, etc. I imagine Knox, Joslin, etc. were interested in Hollows so Indy ran a stint of Hollow/Hollow Forged for them and the  public. Beyond that, I'm not too sure, otherwise.

Good poll/data collection idea!

Side note: I often wonder about pros/sponsored/ams/etc. that skate really well and how specific do they get with their setup. Do they focus as deeply as many Slap pals do or only just a little bit? Is what's in the box good enough or do they do some minor/major tinkering with all the gear they get?

I recall a few pros do stuff with trucks so they ride how they like. Setup videos on YouTube were cool for that: Bobby Worrest, Joslin, and some others had theirs on some YouTube channel
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think I read or heard somewhere - Thrasher mag or IG that most pros just run whatever is in the box, which is usually the standards, unless they specifically request for Hollow, Ti, etc. I imagine Knox, Joslin, etc. were interested in Hollows so Indy ran a stint of Hollow/Hollow Forged for them and the  public. Beyond that, I'm not too sure, otherwise.

Side note: I often wonder about pros/sponsored/ams/etc. that skate really well and how specific do they get with their setup. Do they focus as deeply as many Slap pals do or only just a little bit? Is what's in the box good enough or do they do some minor/major tinkering with all the gear they get?

I recall a few pros do stuff with trucks so they ride how they like. Setup videos on YouTube were cool for that: Bobby Worrest, Joslin, and some others had theirs on some YouTube channel

I feel like most of the "regular dudes" just ride standards and are happy with them / whatever is in the box they are sent.

Some like Andrew Reynolds knows exactly what works for him and sets up his boards accordingly.

Then there are the others like that funny video of John Gardner they took down and edited - riding hollow forged but not knowing ti was lighter or something to that effect.

As said before, some of the vert dudes definitely go more for the hollow forged baseplate / ti axle hanger combo, like Peter Hewitt, Bucky Lasek and Tony Hawk, not that I pay that much attention to most of their setups, but people had been talking about them in terms of recreating their rider setups for those three specifically.

Evan Smith had standards, as have quite a few other Indy riders who ride raw street, transition and everything else, but listing names off the top of my head is not really something that is going to happen now.

Then there are the others who ride the mids - Reynolds, Tiago, etc.

As to what most sponno or pro dudes ride, whatever they are given from my experience, almost to the point where some don't know what they are on, or just know basics but definitely don't go half as deep as any of the regular Slap pals or others in that regard.

One guy I recall when asked by kids at a signing said something like "I just worry about the trick I am doing, not about what is on my board" which seemed so weird at the time, but made sense when you see how he skated - killed everything and didn't care.  Board or something broke, just replaced it with whatever he had lying around or ready and kept on shredding.  Ridiculous but amazing at the same time.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2022, 01:11:34 AM »
Hey guys, after few years persuading myself I like Thunders and a year long madness stint with Thunder/Ace/Venture/Indy, my setup finally feels like home again with Indy 149 Standarts.

Do not get me wrong, all of the above mentioned brands offer some good products, but seems like when I started on Indy years ago, I’m gonna ride them till the wheels fall off.

So all in all I’m glad for this thread. Thanks.

IpathCats

« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2022, 05:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I feel like most of the "regular dudes" just ride standards and are happy with them / whatever is in the box they are sent.

Some like Andrew Reynolds knows exactly what works for him and sets up his boards accordingly.

Then there are the others like that funny video of John Gardner they took down and edited - riding hollow forged but not knowing ti was lighter or something to that effect.

As said before, some of the vert dudes definitely go more for the hollow forged baseplate / ti axle hanger combo, like Peter Hewitt, Bucky Lasek and Tony Hawk, not that I pay that much attention to most of their setups, but people had been talking about them in terms of recreating their rider setups for those three specifically.

Evan Smith had standards, as have quite a few other Indy riders who ride raw street, transition and everything else, but listing names off the top of my head is not really something that is going to happen now.

Then there are the others who ride the mids - Reynolds, Tiago, etc.

As to what most sponno or pro dudes ride, whatever they are given from my experience, almost to the point where some don't know what they are on, or just know basics but definitely don't go half as deep as any of the regular Slap pals or others in that regard.

One guy I recall when asked by kids at a signing said something like "I just worry about the trick I am doing, not about what is on my board" which seemed so weird at the time, but made sense when you see how he skated - killed everything and didn't care.  Board or something broke, just replaced it with whatever he had lying around or ready and kept on shredding.  Ridiculous but amazing at the same time.

I guess that's why they're pro and im just a dork on SLAP swapping my fucking hangers lol.

Hey guys, after few years persuading myself I like Thunders and a year long madness stint with Thunder/Ace/Venture/Indy, my setup finally feels like home again with Indy 149 Standarts.

Do not get me wrong, all of the above mentioned brands offer some good products, but seems like when I started on Indy years ago, I’m gonna ride them till the wheels fall off.

So all in all I’m glad for this thread. Thanks.

Yea man, no prob. You share this experience with many indy riders. I've found that many indy riders try other trucks (usually a go at each brand, like i did myself) and just circle back. Indy's arent as exciting or sexy as some of these other brands, but they've been the standard for a long time for a reason. They just work well in most situations, especially now that they have multiple height/weight options. Pretty much anyone can find an indy that suits them. On top of this, the one thing they actually do better than any other brand is grind. You just cant beat an indy grind. If you want to plow through some shit and you're not getting tensor mags (which are kind of niche, and they dont grind as fast), indy is the clear choice.

The self hating indy rider is a bit of a trope here on SLAP, but i think we would all do well to just resist the madness and embrace what we know works for us and has worked for us for a long time.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:46:53 AM by IpathCats »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #256 on: December 01, 2022, 06:11:39 AM »
It's self hating Indy riders or apparently in denial Thunder lovers. Ace and Venture being the only fully acceptable brands.

IpathCats

« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2022, 06:17:59 AM »
It's self hating Indy riders or apparently in denial Thunder lovers. Ace and Venture being the only fully acceptable brands.

.....Nah

Indy is just old and very middle of the road in terms of most characteristics, that's why theyre not exciting. Totally acceptable though, just kinda bland.

Thunder is not a suitable replacement for all indy riders. Wasn't for me anyway. Wheelbite and grind didnt suit me, bushings sucked, and i had a hard time getting the tightness dialed. they either felt too tight or too loose for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2022, 07:46:10 AM »
I think Indy's recent lack of excitement has more to do with their lame marketing and bro image. Seems like they're course correcting that by removing "fuck the rest"

IpathCats

« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2022, 07:51:34 AM »
I think Indy's recent lack of excitement has more to do with their lame marketing and bro image. Seems like they're course correcting that by removing "fuck the rest"

I think the iron cross was really the only thing that was like straight up WRONG with their branding. IDK I'm fine with the "ride the best fuck the rest" stuff, im not as salty towards jockish mentality as a lot of people on here are. I think a bit of team pride/rivalry whatever you wanna call it can be kinda fun. And from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to try and place your product above your competition that way.

But i get how others could not be as into that, not for everyone.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2022, 08:46:24 AM »
I dunno it was the usual thing where the fans sucked……thrasher was for people who didn’t skate, Indy for guys who used to skate…..

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2022, 11:49:18 AM »
I think it's for a while after stage 11s came out, at least in my area even to this day, everyone was riding indys so you just kinda felt out of place if you didn't have them even if you didn't love indys. all the pros were running them too aside from some strictly street dudes that ran thunders. not to mention standard stage 11s are a good for everything truck, tons of aftermarket stuff, etc.

then all of a sudden a few years ago you had ace getting some hype and that bobby worrest venture part that really set it off.

I still like indys and think they make the best stuff, I just got tired of running the same shit over and over. especially with all those ads making ventures look cool, and aces looked pretty cool too so I had to try them out.

IpathCats

« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2022, 12:16:02 PM »
I think it's for a while after stage 11s came out, at least in my area even to this day, everyone was riding indys so you just kinda felt out of place if you didn't have them even if you didn't love indys. all the pros were running them too aside from some strictly street dudes that ran thunders. not to mention standard stage 11s are a good for everything truck, tons of aftermarket stuff, etc.

then all of a sudden a few years ago you had ace getting some hype and that bobby worrest venture part that really set it off.

I still like indys and think they make the best stuff, I just got tired of running the same shit over and over. especially with all those ads making ventures look cool, and aces looked pretty cool too so I had to try them out.

Yea, they can feel stale. But the flipside of that is that they feel familiar.

Wanting something different out of your board happens to everyone at somepoint. some people are just more prone to it than others.

Whether or not that something different is good for you however, is a different subject haha.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2022, 12:35:45 AM »
Indys are a sexy truck though. Someone above said they may not be. Brand-image wise, I can give it to you there.  Their trucks objectively stand out as the visual standard that knock offs and B, C, etc. tiers copy.  They're fuckin beautiful lookin to me
Super Champion Fun Zone

IpathCats

« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2022, 06:24:17 AM »
Indys are a sexy truck though. Someone above said they may not be. Brand-image wise, I can give it to you there.  Their trucks objectively stand out as the visual standard that knock offs and B, C, etc. tiers copy.  They're fuckin beautiful lookin to me

I'm jealous of this view, you make a good point though about it being the standard/classic. I will try to adopt mindset in an effort to enjoy my trucks more.

OneMassiveCalf

• Rep: 6
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2022, 10:38:31 PM »
Sorry, I feel like I’m butting into this thread with some random question, but it’s driving me crazy. Were Indy stage x trucks slightly different width? I have a bunch of pairs, at least one of which must be stage X , and some are 9” and others 9.125”. I thought they were all 169s.

“But OMC, why does it matter??”

Because sometimes a brother needs to verify that he’s not losing his shit, that’s why.  :(

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2022, 11:13:57 PM »
I�m ready. You can all cancel me after this.

I don�t get why Indy is abandoning their branding. Like the iron cross stuff. Just because some uncultured Cancel-Karen got offended from a logo, Indy has to change all their stickers, hoodies, t-shirts and trucks.

The Teutonic order were like German Red Cross in the Middle Ages. And in modern times have been strictly religious and charitable, until they were abolished by the nazi party in 1938. They were couped, and their sick-ass logo stolen.
I�m sure it�s probably all very masonic-illuminati-DaVinci codeesque nowadays.
But like - not nazi at all.
Also, like I don�t know shit about NorCal and biker gangs and shit, but that iron cross can�t be that bad.

Indy just want to be more gentrified, so that moms that want to buy skateboards for their kids, will pick their trucks.

I�m going to miss it a little. The sheer arrogance of �RTB -FTR� was brilliant.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2022, 02:33:18 AM »
Sorry, I feel like I’m butting into this thread with some random question, but it’s driving me crazy. Were Indy stage x trucks slightly different width? I have a bunch of pairs, at least one of which must be stage X , and some are 9” and others 9.125”. I thought they were all 169s.

Because sometimes a brother needs to verify that he’s not losing his shit, that’s why.  :(

There were definitely a few size differences, ever so slight that they were in wider sizes from Stage 8 through to Stage 11.

Stage 8 had the "6" endings, so 146, 156, 166 or so, then the next stages supposedly had the "9" again, 129 and 139 at least, 149 in the more bulky hanger, but the wider ones were a bit of a mystery.

If the ones you have are way more bulky in the hanger area, they are still from the Stage 8 molds, as it seems they didn't change them, while Stage 9 had up to 139 in the thinner hanger, then Stage 10 had the thinner hanger but also lower hangers 53.5mm in the wider sizes and Stage 11 all had thinner hangers in all sizes and all at 55mm in height.

There might have been some come out in between times as others have said they had the Stage 9 169s which were only 166 or so, wider than the common 159s now but not as wide as the 169s, which you were asking about.

________

Some info I had gathered (but neglected to note the source) below:

STAGE  8 - 1997

6 HOLES mounting base plate with cross logo added.

Introduced the 126mm truck (Duralites)

Reduced material on hanger wing to lighten up truck. Introduced new baseplate / kingpin design rendering inverted kingpin use impossible.

STAGE  9 - 2003

Introduced an all-new lighter weight hanger and base plate; designed to be rigid for performance and durability.

Added all-new, ultra durable 4140 chrome alloy steel axles

Reduced thread length on axle for tight bearing-to-axle fit and a faster, smoother ride

Precision drilled mounting, kingpin, and pivot holes to ride straight for improved performance

Same FAST-ACTION Independent Truck Co. geometry

- the first stage that was computer drafted.The truck ended up quite a bit lower.from 55mm to 53.5mm, totally altering the turn. It didn't help that the baseplates sucked too.Those things broke.

STAGE 10 - 2009

Returned to a beefed-up baseplate BUT the lower geometry remained and the trucks just didn't turn like old Indys, making many riders to look to past models to get the perfect turn.

STAGE 11 - 2012

“I wanted to get it back as close as possible to the Stage V to VII geometry,” return to the classic 55mm height and pivot and kingpin angles inspired by Stage V.

Stage VIII - original release date 9/98
126 (new size)

Stage IX - original release date 2/03

* This last bit didn't add up for the trucks I have in Stage 9 wider sizes, as said, still more like 166

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

switchfakie

« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2022, 04:07:53 AM »

I don�t get why Indy is abandoning their branding. Like the iron cross stuff. Just because some uncultured Cancel-Karen got offended from a logo, Indy has to change all their stickers, hoodies, t-shirts and trucks.

The Teutonic order were like German Red Cross in the Middle Ages. And in modern times have been strictly religious and charitable, until they were abolished by the nazi party in 1938. They were couped, and their sick-ass logo stolen.
Also, like I don�t know shit about NorCal and biker gangs and shit, but that iron cross can�t be that bad.

Indy just want to be more gentrified, so that moms that want to buy skateboards for their kids, will pick their trucks.

sorry mate, had to be done

IpathCats

« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2022, 04:59:55 AM »

No worries, that's what it is here for. And look at all this cool old info we got from @Mbrimson88 after you asked.

Yea this discussion has been had a thousand times. And while you might be technically right, most people don't view the symbol that way. Nazis stole the swastika too, but people still largely attribute that symbol as belonging to them. Given the public perspective, Indy probably did the right thing to abandon the iron cross. Don't really think it's up to a truck company to try and educate people on things like that. And I don't really feel like they felt strongly enough about it to risk the company over it.