Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 123443 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2022, 10:22:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Ya not surprised heavy riders crack bushings all the time. My 200lb friend does the same with Indy Orange. Meanwhile the gazillion people I know that ride Thunder in the Bay seem just fine and thought it was weird when I had a washer/bushing issue. Id hardly say a Slap review is endemic.
[close]

From my experience, thunder bushings crack more easily. I'm 165-175lbs.

I destroyed a set in roughly a month, and when i replaced them I cracked one of the new bottoms completely through in the first session. I was running the nut about flush to maybe 1/2 a thread showing at the most.

I'm 163-165 and have ridden Thunders for around 25 years more or less at weights of 130-200lbs. I've cracked 2 top bushings from slappies, which isn't bad. In that time I've probably destroyed a dozen Venture bushings and had just as many Indy bushings crack. I find Thunder bushings don't need to break in and once I set them I never have to touch them again. I know a lot of people that ride Thunders and feel the same way save for the weirdos that find it mandatory to put Bones in everything. Saying they have bushing problems is a pretty big exaggeration, whereas Venture tops shredding is a given.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »
Expand Quote
https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/forged-hollow-mid-independent-skateboard-trucks?variant=41990083674269

At the 50.5mm height, these are almost like Indy “lows”. Usually low trucks always have issues with kingpin clearance but since these have the ikp shouldn’t be an issue. Food for thought
[close]

These are my go to Indy model these days. They feel so good paired with 51mm or under wheels.

I had never known anyone to ride these but recently took a vacation to Miami, rolled up to a skatepark, and the other 3 people skating all had them and were really, really stoked on them.

IpathCats

« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2022, 10:27:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ya not surprised heavy riders crack bushings all the time. My 200lb friend does the same with Indy Orange. Meanwhile the gazillion people I know that ride Thunder in the Bay seem just fine and thought it was weird when I had a washer/bushing issue. Id hardly say a Slap review is endemic.
[close]

I destroyed a set in roughly a month, and when i replaced them I cracked one of the new bottoms completely through in the first session. I was running the nut about flush to maybe 1/2 a thread showing at the most.
[close]

I'm 163-165 and have ridden Thunders for around 25 years more or less at weights of 130-200lbs. I've cracked 2 top bushings from slappies, which isn't bad. In that time I've probably destroyed a dozen Venture bushings and had just as many Indy bushings crack. I find Thunder bushings don't need to break in and once I set them I never have to touch them again. I know a lot of people that ride Thunders and feel the same way save for the weirdos that find it mandatory to put Bones in everything. Saying they have bushing problems is a pretty big exaggeration, whereas Venture tops shredding is a given.

My experiences have led me to believe that thunders have bushing problems and I've read reports from other people that still ride thunders that say they have bushing problems.

If your experiences differ, that is fine.

But I still believe thunder bushings suck.

I'm sorry if this upsets you, i mean no offense by it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2022, 10:36:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

My experiences have led me to believe that thunders have bushing problems and I've read reports from other people that still ride thunders that say they have bushing problems.

It's just misleading to state that there are endemic issues with something when your N sample size is low. I try to avoid doing that with things I dislike.

IpathCats

« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2022, 10:51:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's just misleading to state that there are endemic issues with something when your N sample size is low. I try to avoid doing that with things I dislike.

I don't think i really did that.

And if i did, I'm not really worried about it either.

These are skateboard truck bushings we're talking about, not economics or something.

Your experiences differ from others, and you seem to have a reputation for that on here. Just let it go man, its ok, im not sweating it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2022, 11:13:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/forged-hollow-mid-independent-skateboard-trucks?variant=41990083674269

At the 50.5mm height, these are almost like Indy “lows”. Usually low trucks always have issues with kingpin clearance but since these have the ikp shouldn’t be an issue. Food for thought
[close]

These are my go to Indy model these days. They feel so good paired with 51mm or under wheels.
[close]

I had never known anyone to ride these but recently took a vacation to Miami, rolled up to a skatepark, and the other 3 people skating all had them and were really, really stoked on them.

It's all speculation, but the use of 'Legendary Indy Geometry' is not the same as 'Stage XI'

Having swapped hangers/plates with forged XIs (as noted a few pages back) they don't line up leading me to think they are different - and perhaps older - geometry than Stage XI. They certainly feel different to me...they are much more responsive that stage 11s...faster carve/turn like an ACE but now loosey.

Maybe some franken truck using V-VIII? without knowing all the truck heights from V-VIII it would be hard to point a finger at where they land; 48.5 lows were SXI if I recall.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:22:21 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

These are skateboard truck bushings we're talking about, not economics or something.

Your experiences differ from others, and you seem to have a reputation for that on here. Just let it go man, its ok, im not sweating it.

Yah so finding a single post about bushings from a heavy person demonstrates my experiences differ from others. Got it.

IpathCats

« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yah so finding a single post about bushings from a heavy person demonstrates my experiences differ from others. Got it.

I've seen you all over shoes and gear having wildly different experiences with various components compared to others, this isnt a singular instance. I dont think you're lying or anything, but i have observed this. Other people on here have even mentioned that they have noticed this too. I do not hold this against you, but it seems you hold my experiences against me.

I'm sorry this seems to have upset you so much today, I hope everything is alright.

I have nothing else to add to this exchange.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2022, 12:54:13 PM »
I'm not mad either. I'd like to see other examples of this. I ate my words on Royals, tried them and thought they were mostly good but my comments echo'd Ben Degros' review. Same goes for experiences with Ventures, Half Cabs/Vans skate line, and everything I can think of that I have tried in the last year other than having the same size in most NB shoes. Hopefully the details aren't coming off like that. Oh, I did like my Indy Mids too and it seems those were a dud for quite a few people.

With Thunders I don't think a lot of people post about them because they're so uninteresting. The DLX flow box truck. Doesn't do anything amazing.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 452
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #309 on: December 07, 2022, 03:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's all speculation, but the use of 'Legendary Indy Geometry' is not the same as 'Stage XI'

Having swapped hangers/plates with forged XIs (as noted a few pages back) they don't line up leading me to think they are different - and perhaps older - geometry than Stage XI. They certainly feel different to me...they are much more responsive that stage 11s...faster carve/turn like an ACE but now loosey.

Maybe some franken truck using V-VIII? without knowing all the truck heights from V-VIII it would be hard to point a finger at where they land; 48.5 lows were SXI if I recall.

At 4:38 Whaley mentions that they “turn just like the stage 11s” this is after mentioning how the Stage 11 is their longest running stage. Pretty much just dropped the axle lower in the hanger and added some aluminum for reinforcements in a few areas.

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2022, 04:13:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey everyone - quick question I had a pair of forged hollows but the mounting holes at some point got crazy eggshaped, probably because the hardware got loose, now since I can't get replacement baseplates I got a pair of cast baseplates with the inverted kingpin, I imagine that the rest of the truck is the same across all versions right? so I should effectively have the same as a standard hollow in the end? I know this may sound stupid but I am asking just in case I am missing something.
[close]

Yes, I believe those baseplates will make your trucks the standard Indy height 55mm vs 53.5 on the forged

So the difference between cast, forged and ti is the baseplate and the hangers would be interchangeable?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2022, 05:16:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey everyone - quick question I had a pair of forged hollows but the mounting holes at some point got crazy eggshaped, probably because the hardware got loose, now since I can't get replacement baseplates I got a pair of cast baseplates with the inverted kingpin, I imagine that the rest of the truck is the same across all versions right? so I should effectively have the same as a standard hollow in the end? I know this may sound stupid but I am asking just in case I am missing something.
[close]

Yes, I believe those baseplates will make your trucks the standard Indy height 55mm vs 53.5 on the forged
[close]

So the difference between cast, forged and ti is the baseplate and the hangers would be interchangeable?

Yes, but titaniums also use the normal forged baseplate. Only the axles are titanium

IpathCats

« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2022, 05:37:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, but titaniums also use the normal forged baseplate. Only the axles are titanium

Yup. 4 baseplates total, 2 forged, 2 cast, ikp and reg kingpin.

Def good for them (less parts to make) that they can use the same baseplates for the mids but im assuming you can ONLY use IKP on the mids? If theyre the same baseplates you probably need that extra IKP clearance for the mids to be viable.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2022, 05:50:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice to know, thx and have a gnar.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2022, 06:40:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Def good for them (less parts to make) that they can use the same baseplates for the mids but im assuming you can ONLY use IKP on the mids? If theyre the same baseplates you probably need that extra IKP clearance for the mids to be viable.

I know others have said they feel like they don't easily fit on every option, but this set of inverted kingpin baseplates I have been playing with and changing around to test on every hanger, both older and newer stages, as well as mid hangers, low hangers, etc and they all work well enough on everything.

I can't think of every single option I have tried, just to see what goes, but I have definitely put Stage 11 standard, hollow axle and ti axle hangers on them, as well as Stage 10 and Stage 9 standard hangers and a few randoms like Stage 10 and 11 low hangers, as well as the mid hangers from another set that the IKP blew out on.

Edit:

Almost forgot to add, but the main issue I had was making sure all manner of bushing options worked on them, as I usually use the Indy low head bushings, they didn't really work well in the IKP option as I couldn't get the kingpin down past full lock  to be comfortable, whereas the super soft were the right height but too soft, through to the super hard but the kingpin was barely down in the baseplate.  Others in between were ok, but the stock bushings once worn in and feeling comfortable at full lock ended up being the best option for me for the use of the trucks.

I would definitely say that having the kingpin down to full lock in the baseplate is the best for clearance as well as less movement in the kingpin shaft too, with 78 duro bushings being mushy loose, true 88 duro bushings being very loose, 90 duro bushings being fairly loose but not at all mushy, 92 being medium to firm, 94 being firm, 96 being very stiff.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:49:02 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #315 on: December 07, 2022, 06:57:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know others have said they feel like they don't easily fit on every option, but this set of inverted kingpin baseplates I have been playing with and changing around to test on every hanger, both older and newer stages, as well as mid hangers, low hangers, etc and they all work well enough on everything.

I can't think of every single option I have tried, just to see what goes, but I have definitely put Stage 11 standard, hollow axle and ti axle hangers on them, as well as Stage 10 and Stage 9 standard hangers and a few randoms like Stage 10 and 11 low hangers, as well as the mid hangers from another set that the IKP blew out on.

Edit:

Almost forgot to add, but the main issue I had was making sure all manner of bushing options worked on them, as I usually use the Indy low head bushings, they didn't really work well in the IKP option as I couldn't get the kingpin down past full lock  to be comfortable, whereas the super soft were the right height but too soft, through to the super hard but the kingpin was barely down in the baseplate.  Others in between were ok, but the stock bushings once worn in and feeling comfortable at full lock ended up being the best option for me for the use of the trucks.

I would definitely say that having the kingpin down to full lock in the baseplate is the best for clearance as well as less movement in the kingpin shaft too, with 78 duro bushings being mushy loose, true 88 duro bushings being very loose, 90 duro bushings being fairly loose but not at all mushy, 92 being medium to firm, 94 being firm, 96 being very stiff.

I'm still not sold on the iKP's just from what i've heard about how hard they stick when they do drag.

And even if the clearance is good enough to avoid that for a while when the hangers are new, eventually you're gonna grind down to that hard ass IKP.

Idk, maybe just being a hater. I would take more kingpin clearance in a heartbeat if it didnt come with other issues.

IpathCats

« Reply #316 on: December 07, 2022, 07:10:04 AM »
Does anyone have experience with 109s? I'm considering swapping the ACE 22 classics on my zip zinger for them.

I love the t hanger look, and I'm fairly certain my 22's are bent. Couple wheels keep getting tight and i have to push/pull the wheel to reseat the bearing. havent taken them apart to get a good look though.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #317 on: December 07, 2022, 08:37:55 AM »
Does anyone have experience with 109s? I'm considering swapping the ACE 22 classics on my zip zinger for them.

I love the t hanger look, and I'm fairly certain my 22's are bent. Couple wheels keep getting tight and i have to push/pull the wheel to reseat the bearing. havent taken them apart to get a good look though.

I have 2 sets and I love them. They feel and grind like the rest of the Indy standard line but you can tune them to be loose or tight pretty easily. Putting them on a deck with a long wheelbase is great (like this Alva 1977 reissue pictured), you get a nice easy carve and great stability at the same time.

IpathCats

« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2022, 09:19:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have 2 sets and I love them. They feel and grind like the rest of the Indy standard line but you can tune them to be loose or tight pretty easily. Putting them on a deck with a long wheelbase is great (like this Alva 1977 reissue pictured), you get a nice easy carve and great stability at the same time.

Thanks for the input. Zip zinger has a 14.25 wb i think. Maybe ill try to find that looooong ass one they make.

edit: actually, probably not. i like how crazy the zinger feels. will feel even crazier with narrower trucks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2022, 10:26:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

At 4:38 Whaley mentions that they “turn just like the stage 11s” this is after mentioning how the Stage 11 is their longest running stage. Pretty much just dropped the axle lower in the hanger and added some aluminum for reinforcements in a few areas.

Point being, if they were stage XI geo, they would be labeled as such, why the different nomenclature if they were?

Facts are, the hangers don't sit the same way when you swap them, one sits more forward, the other back....can you skate them either way? Yes, but the geo is different.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 10:33:50 AM by Xen »

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 452
« Reply #320 on: December 07, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Point being, if they were stage XI geo, they would be labeled as such, why the different nomenclature if they were?

Facts are, the hangers don't sit the same way when you swap them, one sits more forward, the other back....can you skate them either way? Yes, but the geo is different.

I think the wording is intended to give people the feeling that they will turn the same as the Indys they are used to. It’s so weird that the hanger wouldn’t sit the same when you swap it out because supposedly it’s the same baseplate. Wonder if the the angle of the kingpin changes as it’s being rotated into the threads? Or if the sleeve nuts on your sets were pressed in a little off, it’s possible given the sheer volume of production

LebowskisRug

« Reply #321 on: December 07, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Edit:

[close]

I'm still not sold on the iKP's just from what i've heard about how hard they stick when they do drag.

And even if the clearance is good enough to avoid that for a while when the hangers are new, eventually you're gonna grind down to that hard ass IKP.

Idk, maybe just being a hater. I would take more kingpin clearance in a heartbeat if it didnt come with other issues.

There is a Creature rider Jhancarlos Gonzalez (sp?) that skates local to where I live. He talks about the IKP on the Indy page and he feels it grinds better on coping. I felt that it was good on cement but that some people might not like it as much on rails/metal. A normal nut is very soft so maybe people just need to adapt to pushing through a bit harder?

My issue with it was that it constantly came loose. I got replacement plates and within an hour both kingpins had loosened a half a turn. I'm not about to thread lock my kingpins and all that bullshit.

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2022, 11:59:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Well after all those sleepless nights of not being able to accept that I ride Indy again (a bit of exaggerating) and thinking about how I like DLX and how stable Ventures but do not turn how I like (riding the cool wave), I ordered some 8.5 Foy Thunders and am going back to the middle ground.

Indy always in my heart tho, I’m gonna lurk here anyway. Godspeed.

P.S. Wish me luck, hopefully these is the real end (for like a 14th time) of my madness.
[close]

You'll be back, they all come back.

Thunder turn, grind, bushings, and wheelbite will bring you back.

Unless you are like REALLY good and technical. Then you might be happier over there.

Yeah I am back you were right 💁.

Thunders are great, but feel kinda toy-like compared to standard Indy. And boy I miss the turn.

Maybe I should sacrifice something to the Indy gods to have mercy with me hehe. 

IpathCats

« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2022, 12:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well after all those sleepless nights of not being able to accept that I ride Indy again (a bit of exaggerating) and thinking about how I like DLX and how stable Ventures but do not turn how I like (riding the cool wave), I ordered some 8.5 Foy Thunders and am going back to the middle ground.

P.S. Wish me luck, hopefully these is the real end (for like a 14th time) of my madness.
[close]

Unless you are like REALLY good and technical. Then you might be happier over there.
[close]

Thunders are great, but feel kinda toy-like compared to standard Indy. And boy I miss the turn.

lol its all good man, at least you admitted your defeat honorably, we will take you back.

you just need to remind yourself of these situations. maybe try tinkering with different indy heights/weights/widths/bushings if you're trying to change the feel of your board a bit. Also remember how wheelbase and wheel diameter play into pop feel and overall feel of your board.

forged indy mids on 52mm wheels and a 14in wb is gonna feel DRASTICALLY different than indy hollows with 56mm wheels and a 14.5 wb. even if they're the same width trucks. but both setups would retain what you LIKE about indy's

Personally, the standards are way to heavy for me. so i was on the forged ti's for a while but always felt like something was a little off. Recently i've been running 149 ti hangers on the standard cast baseplate, and i couldnt be happier with my setup.

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2022, 12:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

lol its all good man, at least you admitted your defeat honorably, we will take you back.

you just need to remind yourself of these situations. maybe try tinkering with different indy heights/weights/widths/bushings if you're trying to change the feel of your board a bit. Also remember how wheelbase and wheel diameter play into pop feel and overall feel of your board.

forged indy mids on 52mm wheels and a 14in wb is gonna feel DRASTICALLY different than indy hollows with 56mm wheels and a 14.5 wb. even if they're the same width trucks. but both setups would retain what you LIKE about indy's

Personally, the standards are way to heavy for me. so i was on the forged ti's for a while but always felt like something was a little off. Recently i've been running 149 ti hangers on the standard cast baseplate, and i couldnt be happier with my setup.

I have really short board and wheelbase and I love it with cast baseplates. I thing cast hollows are the future for me, but couple slappy grinds, and the standarts won't be that heavy😀.

IpathCats

« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2022, 12:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have really short board and wheelbase and I love it with cast baseplates. I thing cast hollows are the future for me, but couple slappy grinds, and the standarts won't be that heavy😀.

Whatever works best for YOU!

Highly recommend the Ti hangers on cast plates though, cant speak highly of them enough.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2022, 06:54:10 PM »
Felt like experimenting with the IKP baseplate and got a set of the old Krux Downlow hollow kingpins and set it up with my 169 titanium hangers and some bones hard bushings. Kingpin is definitely lower than hollow standard plates I was on before and it being hollow makes a little difference. I have these setup a little looser than I normally ride but the turn feels amazing to me and made my last couple sessions a little more fun. I didn't expect much out of this besides the curiosity factor but I'm hyped I found a truck setup that's working for me and getting me excited to ride my board.

IpathCats

« Reply #327 on: December 08, 2022, 05:58:35 AM »
Felt like experimenting with the IKP baseplate and got a set of the old Krux Downlow hollow kingpins and set it up with my 169 titanium hangers and some bones hard bushings. Kingpin is definitely lower than hollow standard plates I was on before and it being hollow makes a little difference. I have these setup a little looser than I normally ride but the turn feels amazing to me and made my last couple sessions a little more fun. I didn't expect much out of this besides the curiosity factor but I'm hyped I found a truck setup that's working for me and getting me excited to ride my board.

nice man, i tried the krux dlk on some aces a while back, i felt like it just caught really hard on smiths which defeated the purpose for me. I also couldnt get the shaft nut to sit tight so they kept loosening. RIP to those cool dark green aces. Pretty sure i bent those too, but that seems normal for me on aces. I think my AF1's might even be bent lol.

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Highly recommend the Ti hangers on cast plates though, cant speak highly of them enough.

Have you skated standard hollows?  I cant imagine the TI hanger on cast plates is drastically different.

IpathCats

« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2022, 11:23:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Have you skated standard hollows?  I cant imagine the TI hanger on cast plates is drastically different.

not in a VERY long time, like since they first came out. I'm sure the ti/standard plate combo is similar in weight, at most a little lighter. But you also get the added benefit of having solid axel/kp. many users report not liking the sound/feel of hollow components, especially when grinding.