Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118618 times)

elegant_fox

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #750 on: January 28, 2023, 07:17:34 AM »
Got word from my local that NHS is leaving distributors and only dealing direct, meaning Indy trucks will be out of inventory for shops that base their stock from East Coast Skate Supply. Not sure how many other distributors would be affected by this move.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #751 on: January 28, 2023, 08:26:38 AM »
Got word from my local that NHS is leaving distributors and only dealing direct, meaning Indy trucks will be out of inventory for shops that base their stock from East Coast Skate Supply. Not sure how many other distributors would be affected by this move.

Another sign of a contracting industry sitting on tons and tons of unsold product.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #752 on: January 28, 2023, 02:05:37 PM »
Bucky testing the carbon fibre baseplates

https://youtu.be/MYT3EFHOu24

I would be shocked if these actually made it to production, and aren't just some wild one offs for bucky.

Can you please explain why this will be the case? Can't shops just deal with Indy directly?

Serious question.

Another sign of a contracting industry sitting on tons and tons of unsold product.

Why would Indy going direct be a sign of this?

Another serious question.

Maybe I'm just slow today or something lol.

switchfakie

« Reply #753 on: January 28, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »

i just want some magnesium independents

i would buy the tensor maglights, but im not willing to get truck madness

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #754 on: January 28, 2023, 03:48:57 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Can you please explain why this will be the case? Can't shops just deal with Indy directly?

Serious question.

Expand Quote
[close]

Did I hear that they had minimum order quantities and had to order a box of each truck at a time, more so than smaller number mix and match, or was that only here in AU at one point?

This is mainly to get the maximum number of trucks out there, so some smaller shops can't just order a few of each and have to order 20 sets minimum of each size they want.

Sounded similar to what certain big shoe brands were doing too, with minimum orders otherwise the whole order was just dropped - something about not worth their time dealing with small fish, in not so many words.

Also when brands or distributors do something like that, they don't have to sell at wholesaler discount prices, just so the middle man smaller wholesaler can make money too, so if they sell direct to a shop the product costs $10 per unit, but if they sell to the middle distro, they only get $6 per unit, based on the bulk deal discount sort of thing, as the middle wholesaler buys 1000 units, not just 10 or 100.

Hopefully that makes sense, but all of that is just speculation going by what I have heard from others in similar situations over the years, both in person and on here.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #755 on: January 28, 2023, 05:20:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would be shocked if these actually made it to production, and aren't just some wild one offs for bucky.

Expand Quote
[close]

Serious question.

Expand Quote
[close]

That 720 was fucked
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

WideFeet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #756 on: January 30, 2023, 08:38:39 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Serious question.

Expand Quote
[close]

Shops not going direct means that there is another shop or shops in the area that already have an NHS account. NHS, Deluxe, and I’m sure other distributions won’t open new accounts when they already sell to other shops in the same area. They don’t want to open an new account just to make money, because it would push off their existing accounts

NHS going direct can’t be a sign of “tons unsold product.” If that was the case, wouldn’t it make sense to keep unloading product to 3rd parties, like South Shore and Eastern Board Supply?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #757 on: January 30, 2023, 10:26:47 PM »
Rainy days got my truck madness acting up again, long time Venture rider thinking of trying Indy Mid Forged Hollow and get low (50.5mm). I know the IKP and baseplate will loosen with time, planning to swap to a regular kingpin and forged baseplate. Haven't rode Indys for close to 3 years because I'm not a fan of tall + heavy truck, the lower Indy has my attention which can compensate for the heavier (vs Venture / Thunder) truck?

Anyone rode the Mid Forged Hollow (or Mid Hollow) able to provide a review of what to expect?

Edit: closest truck I've ridden was Ace AF1 Low, loved the lower height but the twitchiness was more than I could handle. I had to adjust my feet position drastically on all my tricks and it was more than I could handle.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #758 on: January 30, 2023, 10:34:15 PM »
Indy forged mids hollow are my favorite Indy; super snappy and quick…stage xi feel slow and tall these days (ti/forged).

I keep saying it, but “legendary geo” isn’t the same as stage xi (or they’d be labeled as stage xi) and switching hangers/plates don’t synch up…

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #759 on: January 30, 2023, 10:46:11 PM »
Rainy days got my truck madness acting up again, long time Venture rider thinking of trying Indy Mid Forged Hollow and get low (50.5mm). I know the IKP and baseplate will loosen with time, planning to swap to a regular kingpin and forged baseplate. Haven't rode Indys for close to 3 years because I'm not a fan of tall + heavy truck, the lower Indy has my attention which can compensate for the heavier (vs Venture / Thunder) truck?

Anyone rode the Mid Forged Hollow (or Mid Hollow) able to provide a review of what to expect?

Edit: closest truck I've ridden was Ace AF1 Low, loved the lower height but the twitchiness was more than I could handle. I had to adjust my feet position drastically on all my tricks and it was more than I could handle.

Not sure about the forged mid, but regular Mids are heavier than even standard Indys. IMHO, the best Indys are the regular forged hollows or Ti (if you want to go light), coming in at 53.5mm. If memory serves correct, Indy Ti are lighter than Thunder Teams, for whatever that’s worth.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #760 on: January 30, 2023, 11:59:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure about the forged mid, but regular Mids are heavier than even standard Indys. IMHO, the best Indys are the regular forged hollows or Ti (if you want to go light), coming in at 53.5mm. If memory serves correct, Indy Ti are lighter than Thunder Teams, for whatever that’s worth.

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Mid Hollow - 392g
Indy 149 Mid Hollow Forged - 379g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 Hollow Forged - 358g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
Venture 5.8 V-Hollow - 338.5g (Tactics doesn't have the TI in stock, should be closer to 320g)
Thunder 149 Hollow Lights - 323g (Tactics doesn't have the TI in stock, should be closer to 300g)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: January 31, 2023, 05:09:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
Venture 5.8 V-Hollow - 338.5g (Tactics doesn't have the TI in stock, should be closer to 320g)
Thunder 149 Hollow Lights - 323g (Tactics doesn't have the TI in stock, should be closer to 300g)

I would never consider Tactics tech spec reliable w/o independent (no pun intended) verification. They often post inaccurate info.

IpathCats

« Reply #762 on: January 31, 2023, 05:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
[close]

I would never consider Tactics tech spec reliable w/o independent (no pun intended) verification. They often post inaccurate info.

And sometimes it's like WILDLY inaccurate, like they dont have a legit value, so they just put whatever in the field.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #763 on: January 31, 2023, 07:06:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
[close]

[close]

And sometimes it's like WILDLY inaccurate, like they dont have a legit value, so they just put whatever in the field.

Took out the weighing scale to verify:
Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
Venture 5.8 TI - 321g
Thunder 149 TI - 313g
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #764 on: January 31, 2023, 07:36:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
[close]

[close]

[close]

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
Venture 5.8 TI - 321g
Thunder 149 TI - 313g

Thank you for your service

edit: going to add this to the first post
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:44:40 AM by IpathCats »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #765 on: January 31, 2023, 10:02:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
[close]

[close]

[close]

Indy 149 Mid - 409g
Indy 149 Standard - 394g
Indy 149 Hollow - 369g
Indy 149 TI - 340g
Venture 5.8 TI - 321g
Thunder 149 TI - 313g

[close]

Thank you for your service

No wonder I had issues with the Ti Thunders being used to Indy Standards and Ace Classics. They felt way too light for me but I didn’t figure the difference would have been this big.  :o

LebowskisRug

« Reply #766 on: January 31, 2023, 10:05:37 AM »
Now we just need to add the various Thunder/venture variants and sticky this weight list in the truck thread

IpathCats

« Reply #767 on: January 31, 2023, 10:46:55 AM »
The "best truck" argument will go until the end of time.

but the best truck THREAD argument has a clear winner here.

Just look at our lovely, informative first post.

a thing of beauty.

thanks everyone who submitted info so far. @rocklobster was most recent with his weight list.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: January 31, 2023, 11:08:36 AM »
My personal measurements of 144s…

Forged Hollow: 359g*
Ti: 333g

CORRECTION EDIT: The Forged Hollow weight listed above is for 149s, not 144s.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:12:16 PM by Sedition »

IpathCats

« Reply #769 on: January 31, 2023, 11:20:18 AM »

Forged Hollow: 359g

will add these too, thanks.

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #770 on: January 31, 2023, 11:21:06 AM »
I have mid hollows, forged mid hollows and standard hollows. The forged and standard feel the same other than the lower height, turn is great for both, running 54s on all. Mid hollows were heavier feeling and the turn felt more sluggish yet twitchy once it does turn. Hope it helps.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #771 on: January 31, 2023, 01:31:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Brah this would mean 144 forged hollows are one gram heavier than 149 forged hollows. That can‘t be true.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: January 31, 2023, 01:42:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Brah this would mean 144 forged hollows are one gram heavier than 149 forged hollows. That can‘t be true.

And what’s the source for the other? Tactics? A place known to have misinformation. Mine could certainly be off…but tactics is not really reliable.

EDIT: I don't have a new set of forged 144s around. I do, however, have an almost new (skated twice) set of forged Hawk 149s. I just weighed those on my scale, looked at the Indy site, and Tactics. Results below:

My scale: 357g
Indy Site: 358g
Tactics: 354.6

Two take a-ways: First, I checked back on my notes; I was wrong. My previous notes for forged hollow/359g weight was indeed for 149s, and not 144s. I stand corrected. Second, Tactics cannot be relied on for accurate info.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:13:45 PM by Sedition »

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #773 on: January 31, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »
Does anyone know what the numbers on the inside of the hanger against the bushing represent?

I have two sets of slightly older trucks, pretty sure both of them are stage 10 but i don't know for certain. One has 'IIII' printed on the inside of the hanger and the other has 'IV'. They're definitely not stage 4s.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #774 on: January 31, 2023, 02:32:25 PM »
I have mid hollows, forged mid hollows and standard hollows. The forged and standard feel the same other than the lower height, turn is great for both, running 54s on all. Mid hollows were heavier feeling and the turn felt more sluggish yet twitchy once it does turn. Hope it helps.

Mids are heavier than their equivalent counterparts due to the increased material on the hanger to allow for more grind clearance due to using a poor inverted kingpin design with old geo that doesn't really support it.

....and before anyone chimes it, Royal (hell I don't think even Krux did) didn't add more meat to the hanger...(maybe slappy did?) to support an IKP.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 06:38:53 PM by Xen »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #775 on: January 31, 2023, 02:51:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mids are heavier than their equivalent counterparts due to the increased material on the hanger to allow for more grind clearance due to using a poor inverted kingpin design with old geo that doesn't really support it.

^ Perfectly stated.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #776 on: January 31, 2023, 03:37:20 PM »
Does anyone know what the numbers on the inside of the hanger against the bushing represent?

I have two sets of slightly older trucks, pretty sure both of them are stage 10 but i don't know for certain. One has 'IIII' printed on the inside of the hanger and the other has 'IV'. They're definitely not stage 4s.

The numbers were the size of the truck before they did what Thunder has had for a long time, the actual number 149 on the edge of the hanger closest a wheel, and I think only on Stage 11s, but could have been on Stage 10, though I don't recall seeing any on previous stages.

On my trucks:

III  139
IV  149
V   159
VI  169

Then when 144s came out, they did IIII on them.

Now it is way easier to see on the end of the axles.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #777 on: January 31, 2023, 04:28:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The numbers were the size of the truck before they did what Thunder has had for a long time, the actual number 149 on the edge of the hanger closest a wheel, and I think only on Stage 11s, but could have been on Stage 10, though I don't recall seeing any on previous stages.

On my trucks:

III  139
IV  149
V   159
VI  169

Then when 144s came out, they did IIII on them.

Now it is way easier to see on the end of the axles.

Cool. Thanks.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #778 on: January 31, 2023, 06:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

^ Perfectly stated.

Thanks @Xen that's all I needed to keep the truck madness at bay for now, maybe I'll give the next revision of Mids a go or just stick to the classic Hollow Forged.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #779 on: January 31, 2023, 06:31:01 PM »
Aside from Independent and Bones, what aftermarket bushings work with Independent that doesn't require modification? IE bushings that are the same height and don't need sanding down, adding/removing cupwashers, etc. Would be good to know in case there's some weird reason I can't get Indy or Bones bushings.