Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 123845 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #780 on: January 31, 2023, 08:07:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have mid hollows, forged mid hollows and standard hollows. The forged and standard feel the same other than the lower height, turn is great for both, running 54s on all. Mid hollows were heavier feeling and the turn felt more sluggish yet twitchy once it does turn. Hope it helps.
[close]

Mids are heavier than their equivalent counterparts due to the increased material on the hanger to allow for more grind clearance due to using a poor inverted kingpin design with old geo that doesn't really support it.
[close]

^ Perfectly stated.
[close]

Thanks @Xen that's all I needed to keep the truck madness at bay for now, maybe I'll give the next revision of Mids a go or just stick to the classic Hollow Forged.

Forged Hollow Mids are still my favorite feeling Indy tho. =)

IpathCats

« Reply #781 on: January 31, 2023, 08:23:12 PM »
Aside from Independent and Bones, what aftermarket bushings work with Independent that doesn't require modification? IE bushings that are the same height and don't need sanding down, adding/removing cupwashers, etc. Would be good to know in case there's some weird reason I can't get Indy or Bones bushings.

You can get away with ace. Bushings compress over time, they would get close to Indy stock height.

Actually ace lows have the same height bottom bushings as Indy. Just looked.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #782 on: January 31, 2023, 09:19:38 PM »
Aside from Independent and Bones, what aftermarket bushings work with Independent that doesn't require modification? IE bushings that are the same height and don't need sanding down, adding/removing cupwashers, etc. Would be good to know in case there's some weird reason I can't get Indy or Bones bushings.

Fairly sure Supercush

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #783 on: January 31, 2023, 10:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have mid hollows, forged mid hollows and standard hollows. The forged and standard feel the same other than the lower height, turn is great for both, running 54s on all. Mid hollows were heavier feeling and the turn felt more sluggish yet twitchy once it does turn. Hope it helps.
[close]

Mids are heavier than their equivalent counterparts due to the increased material on the hanger to allow for more grind clearance due to using a poor inverted kingpin design with old geo that doesn't really support it.
[close]

^ Perfectly stated.
[close]

Thanks @Xen that's all I needed to keep the truck madness at bay for now, maybe I'll give the next revision of Mids a go or just stick to the classic Hollow Forged.
[close]

Even with the loose kingpin issue? Or did you use Loctite on that?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #784 on: February 01, 2023, 02:02:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fairly sure Supercush
Supercush were definitely intended as an all around bushing when they first came out and might be the first after market bushing made for skating. They also may have been Deluxe's first product? Another old head will have to set me straight if I have that wrong.

Have they always kept the same shape? I know nowadays they are more aimed at the Venture market. In any case, they are pretty tough to find these days so I am not sure if they are sold out with more on the way or just not a priority for DLX or what?

RipTide has two different formulas (not sure of the difference) but they make a really high quality bushing, even if it's nearly twice the price of Bones.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #785 on: February 01, 2023, 05:46:00 AM »

I replaced a set of old, blown on Indy bushings with some Ace Classic bushings which were laying around after they warrantied my trucks, and they work great. I'll admit they're the trucks I skate the least (because I just don't ride 149s very often), but I've had those bushings in there for probably two years now and I am always impressed with how well the trucks skate.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #786 on: February 01, 2023, 05:57:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I replaced a set of old, blown on Indy bushings with some Ace Classic bushings which were laying around after they warrantied my trucks, and they work great. I'll admit they're the trucks I skate the least (because I just don't ride 149s very often), but I've had those bushings in there for probably two years now and I am always impressed with how well the trucks skate.

I've considered trying the ace hard bushings in my 149s.

I think they look nice vs the indy black bushings i ride, and from what I've gathered Ace bushings seem to be higher quality.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #787 on: February 01, 2023, 05:59:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think they look nice vs the indy black bushings i ride, and from what I've gathered Ace bushings seem to be higher quality.

There's no question that they're significantly more durable. The bushings themselves are probably 4 years old at this point. I actually like the Indy bushings but they will almost always blow out for me within a year.

IpathCats

« Reply #788 on: February 01, 2023, 06:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

There's no question that they're significantly more durable. The bushings themselves are probably 4 years old at this point. I actually like the Indy bushings but they will almost always blow out for me within a year.

I've seen people with blown out indy bushings, but they're usually the standard orange ones. The hard blacks hold up pretty good, but my issue is mainly with how sensitive they are to temperature. I hear the ace bushings arent as sensitive, but idk.

Mall Grab Mike

• Rep: -9
« Reply #789 on: February 01, 2023, 07:59:59 AM »
Ace bushings are very sensitive. They are triggered very easily. You know, as a newer company they don't have the life experience like Indy does. Don't get me started on Krux bushings, they are out to cancel everyone.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #790 on: February 01, 2023, 08:05:39 AM »
Ace bushings are very sensitive. They are triggered very easily. You know, as a newer company they don't have the life experience like Indy does. Don't get me started on Krux bushings, they are out to cancel everyone.

Ace aren't a new company. And the owners have been around trucks a long long time and were involved in a lot of design work with Venture and Thunder.

Krux bushings are great.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #791 on: February 01, 2023, 09:04:08 AM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #792 on: February 01, 2023, 09:36:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

^ Perfectly stated.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Even with the loose kingpin issue? Or did you use Loctite on that?

I've never noticed it happening...I don't OCD draw lines on my IKP...I tighten and loosen on the regular depending on what I'm skating so it's a non-issue (on any truck). I'm also using low ace tops so I know I have more threads than usual anyway.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #793 on: February 01, 2023, 10:45:10 AM »
I mostly noticed it because one truck did it more than the other (back truck). All of a sudden I go to skate switch or fakie and I'm fucking swerving worse than a Chad driving back to the frat house after thirsty thursdays.

IpathCats

« Reply #794 on: February 01, 2023, 10:58:05 AM »

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #795 on: February 02, 2023, 01:56:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fairly sure Supercush

Supercush work perfect. IMO upgrade to stock, look/perform better than Bones.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #796 on: February 02, 2023, 06:01:33 AM »

DLX Supercush are great in Indys (clear 88A for me).

The other rec I have is Riptide, particularly the APS formula, and mainly for cold weather. I have the orange 80A and they’re super squirrely at first, but they firm up nicely. Keeps my cruisers surfy in the winter. I’ve also tried the yellow 90A in the summer and liked those as well. Nice and loose through the middle, but they firm up at the end so you can really lean on them without getting much wheelbite.

The shapes you want are “street barrel” for the bottom and “short street cone” for the top.

The Krank formula (their formula intended for street skating) is good, too, but it’s a little firmer feeling in general and there are fewer color/duro options.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #797 on: February 02, 2023, 09:55:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

amazing <3

@yourbreakfsat riptide has bushings for Indys
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:16:56 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #798 on: February 02, 2023, 12:59:03 PM »

I've used Thunder bushings in Indys and had no problems.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #799 on: February 03, 2023, 07:14:57 PM »
I'm tempted to get the stage 4 Indys with the inverted kingpin

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #800 on: February 03, 2023, 08:51:20 PM »

But that's not a thing?

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #801 on: February 03, 2023, 09:20:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But that's not a thing?
I'll just have to buy the inverted kingpin baseplate

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #802 on: February 03, 2023, 09:26:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

But that's not a thing?
[close]

Supposedly they are not compatible and that would defeat the point of the Stage 4 reissue. You'd better off converting some Stage 11s.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #803 on: February 03, 2023, 10:41:05 PM »
You don’t understand…..

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #804 on: February 04, 2023, 01:01:57 AM »

I'm using mini logo bushing and they work fine. I imagine thunder bushing would work as I'm using indy bushings and thunders on another set up.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #805 on: February 04, 2023, 07:35:32 AM »
For what it’s worth, the 215 hanger fits fine on the IKP plate if you’re feeling spicy enough to defy the SLAP Nostalgia Police on these Stage IVs.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #806 on: February 04, 2023, 03:45:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

But that's not a thing?
[close]
[close]

Supposedly they are not compatible and that would defeat the point of the Stage 4 reissue. You'd better off converting some Stage 11s.

I didn't go looking for it again, but I thought the NHS / Indy media release specifically said the new Stage IV reissue trucks are not compatible with the current Stage XI trucks for hangers, baseplates or associated parts, including the aftermarket stand alone inverted kingpin kit.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't buy them and try it.

Who knows, stranger things happen.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #807 on: February 04, 2023, 04:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

But that's not a thing?
[close]
[close]

[close]

I didn't go looking for it again, but I thought the NHS / Indy media release specifically said the new Stage IV reissue trucks are not compatible with the current Stage XI trucks for hangers, baseplates or associated parts, including the aftermarket stand alone inverted kingpin kit.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't buy them and try it.

Who knows, stranger things happen.

they did/do say they are not compatible. people still frankentruck shit i wouldn't ever mess with. i'm sure they'll do these also.

i'm pro gather the pitchforks and torches on the frankentruckers. that's how you end up with tielite's, monsters, ect....

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #808 on: February 04, 2023, 06:23:38 PM »
the incompatibility was noted earlier in this thread (NHS quote) but yeah, I bet you could do it  but i'd encourage anyone who gets a pair to try them as is first to experience some classic Indy geometry before messing with them too much.

elegant_fox

« Reply #809 on: February 06, 2023, 03:54:22 PM »
What's the big difference(s) between the upcoming Stage 4s and the existing Stage 11s?