Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118577 times)

IpathCats

The Indy Thread
« on: September 20, 2022, 08:53:58 AM »
Whether you're a die hard stage 7 guy, or a self loathing Indy rider that keeps coming back no matter what other trucks you try, this is the place to discuss independent trucks. We have a thread for every other brand. Might as well have one for the most popular brand, so we can stop separating all of the Indy info. The pictures of the new ones being designed currently are what motivated me to make this thread. Please post any new info on them in here. Leave the truck set ups thread for discussions on fucking with your trucks.

EDIT: Adding additional Indy info/threads below. DM me if you have anything that should go here.

Weight:
144 Forged Hollow: 359g
144 Ti: 333g

149 Mid - 409g
149 Standard - 394g
149 Mid Hollow - 392g
149 Mid Hollow Forged - 379g
149 Hollow - 369g
149 Hollow Forged - 358g
149 TI - 340g

Height:
Standard plates 55mm
Forged plates 53.5mm
Mids 52mm
Forged mids 50.5mm
Stage 4: advertised as 55mm tall, but users are reporting 53.5mm tall.

Bushing specs: These are the rough listed measurements, they vary by about .2 - .3 mm
Top: 10 mm
Bottom: 13 mm

Stage 4 bushings
Measurements courtesy of @Lou Strux on a fresh set of uncompressed stage 4 bushings
Top: 12.5mm  (12.51)
Bottom: 15mm (14.89)

Wheelbase Effect:
reg height cast plates + 3.00"
forged plates +3.1875

Indy stage 4 reissues on NHS site
https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-4-polished-skateboard-trucks-independent?variant=43310976401565

Jenkem article on the cult following of Indys
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

Indy Mid (Mindy) thread
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106832.0

Thread on Skull and Bones about the differences between Indy stages
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132955&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=independent&start=0

Thread on Indy pivot cups
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106369.0

Thread on Indy inverted Kingpin baseplate issue
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118450.0
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 07:29:09 PM by IpathCats »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 08:59:37 AM »
Finally a thread to get something off my chest.  Is it technically “Indys” or “Indies” when pluralized? 

Hyliannightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
How different do indy hollows feel compared to the standard

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 09:06:26 AM »
Finally a thread to get something off my chest.  Is it technically “Indys” or “Indies” when pluralized?

This is it. I always write "indy trucks" because I just don't know the answer.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 09:35:23 AM »
Hello. My user name is murge and I have an Indy problem. I use Indy’s frequently I stop temporarily then I’m back on the wagon.

I was having a good time on royals out of no where I figured let’s throw some Indy’s back on. Indy’s grind a little better that may be due to the grooves I got on them.

Current 149 Tis
After market 92a blue top
Stock orange bottom.

I had both after market Indy 92a conical but landings seems kinda twitchy so I put the stock barrel back in.  Feels more stable. But I’m gonna put a flat bottom washer in for idk why mostly get rid of the click sound from the washers I found in a parts bin that seemed to fit
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 10:15:20 AM by Murge »

IpathCats

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 09:35:56 AM »

I would say "Indys" since it's a name/proper noun. Look at that, this thread is already providing value.

This is the correct question. Let's figure it out and then lock this thread

.....Nah

IpathCats

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 09:37:08 AM »
How different do indy hollows feel compared to the standard

not very. same height, only slightly lighter. forged and ti forged are a bigger difference though. lower and lighter

IpathCats

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 09:39:21 AM »
Hello. My user name is murge and I have an Indy problem. I use Indy’s frequently I stop temporarily then I’m back on the wagon.

I was having a good time on royals out of no where I figured let’s throw some Indy’s back on. Indy’s grind a little better that may be due to the grooves I got on them.

Current 149 Tis
After market 92a blue top
Stock orange bottom.

I had both after market Indy 92a conical but landings seems kinda twitchy so I put the stock barrel back in.  Feels more stable. But I’m gonna put a flat bottom washer in for idk why mostly get rid of the click sound from the washers I found in a karts bin that seemed to fit

You are a part of the second demographic i mentioned. As am I. Recovery is a long and complicated process. Hopefully one day we can just accept our fate as indy riders.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 09:43:09 AM »
I have some Stage 2 131s. And some Stage 8/11 Hybrids. Skated Indys from 1986 until about 10 years ago.
Anodized Stage 5s were my favorites.
Thunders and Ace suit my needs better these days but it will be hard for me not to try these Stage 4 "reissues."

IpathCats

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
I have some Stage 2 131s. And some Stage 8/11 Hybrids. Skated Indys from 1986 until about 10 years ago.
Thunders and Ace suit my needs better these days but it will be hard for me not to try these Stage 4 "reissues."

I'm very curious as well. Can you speak to the characteristics of the stage 4? Do you know what the "desired" stages are? I just said 7 randomly in the first post. I really dont know what ones people pay out the ass for on ebay. They were on like 8 or 9 by the time i knew anything about trucks.

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »

Indeeeeeeez nuts!

GenericSlapUser

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 09:50:07 AM »
The Indy YouTube Channel has a series “My Indys” so there’s that.

IpathCats

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 09:51:17 AM »
poaching this from the truck setup thread

currently rumored to have different sizing than stage 11's, with the smallest size being a hair bigger than 149's dubbed "151's". Supposed to have similar geometry to stage 4?

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 09:56:31 AM »
truck the rest

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm very curious as well. Can you speak to the characteristics of the stage 4? Do you know what the "desired" stages are? I just said 7 randomly in the first post. I really dont know what ones people pay out the ass for on ebay. They were on like 8 or 9 by the time i knew anything about trucks.

Stage 4 were the last stage before the hollow body Stage 5 came out. I presume there is a retro appeal bc of the success of Ace. If Indy reissued anything after Stage 4 it wouldn't look that different from 11s, perhaps. People say 2 thru 4 had the best geometry but 5 thru 8 were great also. Indy really fucked up with Stage 9.

As for desirable stages I think people like Salba and Rowley dig 6 thru 8 as they are a good compromise of modern features with the classic geo but slipping axles and weight are the downside to that.

I'm guessing these Stage 4 reissues with have no slip axles, will be relatively heavy, 6 hole baseplates, turn really well and look visually retrotastic.

IpathCats

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »
truck the rest

I had a "ride the best fuck the rest" shirt when i was like 16, I thought that shit was so tough hahaha.

IpathCats

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 10:02:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Stage 4 were the last stage before the hollow body Stage 5 came out. I presume there is a retro appeal bc of the success of Ace. If Indy reissued anything after Stage 4 it wouldn't look that different from 11s, perhaps. People say 2 thru 4 had the best geometry but 5 thru 8 were great also. Indy really fucked up with Stage 9.

As for desirable stages I think people like Salba and Rowley dig 6 thru 8 as they are a good compromise of modern features with the classic geo but slipping axles and weight are the downside to that.

I'm guessing these Stage 4 reissues with have no slip axles, will be relatively heavy, 6 hole baseplates, turn really well and look visually retrotastic.

Hell yea, all great info, thanks for sharing, gnar'd.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 10:03:45 AM »
Once and for all I want to know do forged Indy’s push the wb out more than standard? I know they are a hair lower but I’ve gotten mixed messages. I’ve only ever skated Indy standards or hollow standards never forged.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 10:12:47 AM »
poaching this from the truck setup thread

currently rumored to have different sizing than stage 11's, with the smallest size being a hair bigger than 149's dubbed "151's". Supposed to have similar geometry to stage 4?
Those don't necessarily look bad but its the biggest departure from the modern Indy hanger. When I think of trucks, the default look is a variation of the current hanger. I wonder if theyll lose customers just off aesthetics alone.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 10:18:36 AM »
I don't think these new trucks will replace the Stage 11s. Indy would be stupid to give up the hollow body hanger at this point. I presume these new trucks are more of a 'reissue' and celebration of a classic. If these aren't manufactured at Ermico (which I presume they won't be) that will be pretty disappointing.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2022, 10:20:19 AM »
Once and for all I want to know do forged Indy’s push the wb out more than standard? I know they are a hair lower but I’ve gotten mixed messages. I’ve only ever skated Indy standards or hollow standards never forged.

I’m pretty sure they push it out but I’ll double check when I get a chance.

IpathCats

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2022, 10:29:23 AM »
Need to consolidate some threads/info:

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

Mid thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106832.msg3097607#msg3097607

What do you think the best way to go about this would be? just link the other threads? copy shit into here?

IpathCats

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 10:34:10 AM »
I don't think these new trucks will replace the Stage 11s. Indy would be stupid to give up the hollow body hanger at this point. I presume these new trucks are more of a 'reissue' and celebration of a classic. If these aren't manufactured at Ermico (which I presume they won't be) that will be pretty disappointing.

Those don't necessarily look bad but its the biggest departure from the modern Indy hanger. When I think of trucks, the default look is a variation of the current hanger. I wonder if theyll lose customers just off aesthetics alone.

That would be pretty interesting if they offered this as a separate "retro" truck with different sizing, the "no sizes under 151" claim would make more sense at that point. I guess Ace is already kinda doing this.

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 10:34:35 AM »
Forged vs cast baseplates make a much bigger difference than standard/hollow/titanium.

I'm not sure if it's the forged baseplate or the hollow kingpin being longer, but my forged Indys feel looser and more squirrelly than the standard baseplate with standard kingpin.

Frank and Fred

IpathCats

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2022, 10:57:29 AM »
Forged vs cast baseplates make a much bigger difference than standard/hollow/titanium.

I'm not sure if it's the forged baseplate or the hollow kingpin being longer, but my forged Indys feel looser and more squirrelly than the standard baseplate with standard kingpin.

Interesting, I just bought some 149 standards. Haven't ridden standards in a long time. I'll definitely be paying attention.

Get really nerdy,

https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132955&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=independent&start=0

You're killing it today man. Haha.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2022, 10:58:05 AM »

Indys, definitively. It’s a proper noun.

Ryan Townley on the new Indys.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »
what's everyone's favorite Indy variant? This will be a fun one.

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »
stage 9

IpathCats

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 12:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote

What do you think the best way to go about this would be? just link the other threads? copy shit into here?
[close]

I'd put them in the first post, with better descriptors.

ok cool, I'll start adding to it over time. thanks.