Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118580 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2022, 12:57:19 PM »
what's everyone's favorite Indy variant? This will be a fun one.

I've had 3 pairs of stage 11 titaniums 144, 149, and 159 so i would say that. But i did just get some 149 standards, hoping to ease the madness.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2022, 02:18:00 PM »

I gotta say, as a primarily bigger board skater, the 159 hollows might be the best truck to pair with most decks for me. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:58:58 PM by big_kev_215 »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2022, 02:43:16 PM »
Currently riding 149 Forged hollow mids + ACE classic bottoms/low tops (+ 51mm wheels / 103a STF V1s)

Absolutely stellar setup, I can't get off them no matter what I try, royals, ACE lows, Indy ti...there is something about the height + bushing combo and the different geo...that 'legendary' 215 whatever stage (7/8?) that just works for me, of all the madness combinations, nothing feels like they do, not even stage 11 ti (with the ace bushings); however, I do wish they were lighter...but they're not making a ti version (for now).

Might be dropping down to 144s but I don't want to buy more trucks!!!

Current Indy stock:

IKP cast plates
159 Forged Hollow
149 Forged Mid
149 ti
144 ti
144 Forged Mids
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:04:45 PM by Xen »

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2022, 02:47:25 PM »
169 Indy’s are probably my forever truck. Been on Aces a while now but feel the itch to go back. It’s a sickness.

Indie music / Indy trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2022, 02:59:43 PM »
149 Forged hollow mids + ACE classic bottoms/low tops (+ 51mm wheels / 103a STF V1s)

Absolutely stellar setup, I can't get off them no matter what I try, royals, ACE lows, Indy ti...there is something about the height + bushing combo and the different geo...that 'legendary' 215 whatever stage (7/8?) that just works for me, of all the madness combinations, nothing feels like they do, not even stage 11 ti (with the ace bushings); however, I do wish they were lighter...but they're not making a ti version (for now).

Do you find the pop anemic at all due to the height? My main qualm with Mids over FH when I was Indy-focused was around the pop feel being light, but not as good as Thunders

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2022, 03:09:44 PM »
Thought hollow standards (149/159) were my grail, but been pushing 149 standards and 159 forged 2+ years now and kinda been feelin em. Don’t love wheel bite since I do 54-56mm on the forged (skate loose), but grown accustomed. Want to go back to standard hollow and see what the business is, but kinda into the minutely lower height of the forged I always feared. Mind you, upping your wheel size to compensate the forged will lead to more wheel bite. And I’m slowly getting over loose af trucks. The madness continues…

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2022, 03:16:37 PM »
I like the forged titanium 139 Indys. Light and strong.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2022, 04:24:05 PM »
Stage 8 146. Mine are drilled out to fit inverted kingpins. As long as the axles don't slip, I'd say it's the perfect modern Indy.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2022, 06:59:54 PM »
If I had to ride Indys again just a solid regular 159 Stage 11 would more than suffice. 88a aftermarket bushings would be required though.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2022, 07:30:40 PM »

Riding stage XI 144 Hollow right now and loving them, but still have my old red baseplate stage VIII 126s on my younger sons mini for when I want to remember what skating a sub 7.75 feels like (which doesn't last too long as it feels squirrely as hell)
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

switchfakie

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2022, 07:55:12 PM »
149 hollows. i skate 54's so they feel like regular unhollow stage 11's which i enjoy

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2022, 01:56:09 AM »
I run 144 Titanium Indys. 92a aftermarket bushings.
Bottom Bushings sanded down to like 11mm
Top Bushings sanded down to like 8mm
I shortened both kingpins with a angle grinder to fit the shorter bushings better and for more grind clearance.

This changes the geo of the trucks I tiny little bit and gives them a nice surfy turn, albeit stable when I want them to.
I think the wheelbase is a tiny bit smaller that way too, but I like the feel and never had problems with them.
IG: @flowterspace

IpathCats

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2022, 05:41:02 AM »
I shortened both kingpins with a angle grinder to fit the shorter bushings better and for more grind clearance.

This changes the geo of the trucks I tiny little bit and gives them a nice surfy turn, albeit stable when I want them to.
I think the wheelbase is a tiny bit smaller that way too, but I like the feel and never had problems with them.

Been on the 144 ti's with Indy hard cylinders and riptides for a bit. sounds like you've got your shit dialed. Madness keeps getting me though. I think I'm gonna try to ride these 149 standards completely stock. I feel like the madness has caused me to overthink my setup so much, that in reality I might just need a super simple setup if all of this tinkering hasn't satisfied me.

If I end up on a 8.38 dlx with 149 standards and 54/56mm classic f4s after all of my madness, I feel like that would be a huge life lesson for me hahaha.

If anyone has anything they think should be posted at the top of this thread just let me know.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2022, 06:37:31 AM »
159 forged hollows on 8.5-8.625 decks and I don't touch the bushings or even the kingpin nut from stock. 5'10"/165 and I like that I can (hypothetically) grab a set off the shelf if I'm on vacation or on a work trip and instantly skate a new setup if needed. Forged baseplates don't bother me at my level and allow 7/8" hardware to lock into the nylock better.

I did get some Ace 60's to play with and do enjoy the non-squeakiness from the factory, presumably due to the cup/bushing grease that I can see oozing out.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

IpathCats

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2022, 06:40:41 AM »
159 forged hollows on 8.5-8.625 decks and I don't touch the bushings or even the kingpin nut from stock. 5'10"/165 and I like that I can (hypothetically) grab a set off the shelf if I'm on vacation or on a work trip and instantly skate a new setup if needed. Forged baseplates don't bother me at my level and allow 7/8" hardware to lock into the nylock better.

I did get some Ace 60's to play with and do enjoy the non-squeakiness from the factory, presumably due to the cup/bushing grease that I can see oozing out.

Do you notice your stock indys squeaking loudly?

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2022, 06:50:52 AM »
149 forged hollow with blue conical bushings. They are light but not too light and grind like a dream. I can also skate 8.25-8.5 decks without needing to swap truck sizes.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2022, 06:54:12 AM »

Yeah, but mostly in my office while I'm standing on my board during a meeting, lol. I don't notice it at all while skating, maybe others do.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

IpathCats

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2022, 07:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, but mostly in my office while I'm standing on my board during a meeting, lol. I don't notice it at all while skating, maybe others do.

I always thought mine did because I was always fucking with them.

Does anyone know the stock Indy bottom bushing height? Gonna put it at the top.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2022, 07:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always thought mine did because I was always fucking with them.

Does anyone know the stock Indy bottom bushing height? Gonna put it at the top.

Top: 10.30 mm
Bottom: 12.75 mm

Last two digits on each measurement vary a bit by about 0.5-0.10 mm.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2022, 07:18:41 AM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123519.0

Someone buy my stage 7 & 8 Indy's please :-*

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2022, 07:21:22 AM »
Most often skate 149 ti with 92a top and stock bottom.

But also have:
159 Ti
159 hollow forged
144 hollow (cast)
149 Stage X cast
146 Stage VIII
146 Stage VI

IpathCats

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2022, 07:38:07 AM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123519.0

Someone buy my stage 7 & 8 Indy's please :-*

Maybe @backinaction might be willing to come off some of the pairs he just listed above ?

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2022, 07:39:23 AM »

It’s like we’re the same, except I’m 10lbs heavier. 10.5 size foot?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2022, 08:26:25 AM »
current (most consistent) Indy set up:  Indy Stage 11, 149ti hangars, hollow cast baseplates, Indy aftermarket med (90a) conical bushings, riptide pivot cups

been skating the same hangars for 2yrs or so now... every once in a while I put on forged baseplates (usually in the summer when i drop down wheel sizes) but I never stick with them very long.  recently put on the hollow kingpin cast baseplates (after that Tom Knox My Indys vid) and I like em.  not really any noticeable difference from regular cast baseplates, but I had ruined/ground down my kingpins too much on my standard cast baseplates. 

if these hangars ever die, I may go up to 159ti (8.5 board), but we'll see.  not gonna think to much on that yet.  I have 159s and 169s on some cruiser boards (no mods other than the aftermarket conical bushings above).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:21:30 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2022, 08:31:51 AM »
will i be able to use 144 hanger in a 149 baseplate?
ONTARIO CANADA

IpathCats

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »
will i be able to use 144 hanger in a 149 baseplate?

Same stage? Yes if so.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2022, 09:37:11 AM »
everyday setup has consistently been 159 hollow standards with bones mediums on 8.5-8.6 decks, but my most recent bout of truck madness has me really thinking the forged hollows with improve something.

i put wax shavings in the pivot cups when i change the bushings - still cant shake the squeaking/clicking until the trucks are half dead.

IpathCats

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
everyday setup has consistently been 159 hollow standards with bones mediums on 8.5-8.6 decks, but my most recent bout of truck madness has me really thinking the forged hollows with improve something.

i put wax shavings in the pivot cups when i change the bushings - still cant shake the squeaking/clicking until the trucks are half dead.

From my experience, wax is a temporary fix. It breaks down eventually and actually makes the squeaking worse. Best solution I've found is to clean the pivot cups, bushings, and contact points on the hangar/washers with alcohol. If it's still loud, dab a qtip or paper towel with motor oil or another lubricant that won't breakdown easily and apply THE LIGHTEST COAT POSSIBLE on the parts mentioned above. So light you cant even really see it on there.

Riptide cups help too.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2022, 09:56:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Been on the 144 ti's with Indy hard cylinders and riptides for a bit. sounds like you've got your shit dialed. Madness keeps getting me though. I think I'm gonna try to ride these 149 standards completely stock. I feel like the madness has caused me to overthink my setup so much, that in reality I might just need a super simple setup if all of this tinkering hasn't satisfied me.

If I end up on a 8.38 dlx with 149 standards and 54/56mm classic f4s after all of my madness, I feel like that would be a huge life lesson for me hahaha.

If anyone has anything they think should be posted at the top of this thread just let me know.

Well at least I got my trucks dialed. For now. Will see how they ride in the winter. Shoe and Deck madness is still real.

But 8.4 decks on 149s are pretty stable and that's what I would run if I had bigger feet or less flip tricks.

I also have some Forged Hollow 159s on a lazy sunday setup, which I also like a lot. Just not much lazy sundays in the last months.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2022, 10:00:01 AM »

So good seeing other people changing things to make them work exactly how they want them to.

This is pretty much where I am at, although I do like smaller flat / wide wheels (Classics when worn down), but the new Classic 56mm wheels I just put on more as a transition setup feel amazing.

I had been worried with the new trucks coming in, going from Stage 9 / 10 to Stage 11, but once I was on them, I have never looked back and feel like they just work so well for everything, standard polished, no fuss, etc in almost every size on various boards I have set up, but mostly 149s, some stock bushings, but mostly the old red aftermarket Indy 92 duro with low heads, no risers needed, skated fairly loose but still a good stability on those bushings, angle grinded the kingpins down a couple of threads, set and forget, skated like that for the life of the trucks.

Also have some ti axle versions, hollow hangers, forged baseplates more for curious people to try them and see, along with some inverted baseplate kits, and some used mids, so pretty much everything, but I am happy enough with plain simple standards.

Those new ones do look interesting, but not enough to go out and get a few sets just to see how they skate.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:07:36 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.