Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118581 times)

schralp pal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2022, 10:08:28 AM »
Expand Quote
everyday setup has consistently been 159 hollow standards with bones mediums on 8.5-8.6 decks, but my most recent bout of truck madness has me really thinking the forged hollows with improve something.

i put wax shavings in the pivot cups when i change the bushings - still cant shake the squeaking/clicking until the trucks are half dead.
[close]

From my experience, wax is a temporary fix.

I waxed my sliding screen door to stop the screetching and it was also a temporary fix - haha. time to lube both i guess. thanks.

IpathCats

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2022, 10:18:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
everyday setup has consistently been 159 hollow standards with bones mediums on 8.5-8.6 decks, but my most recent bout of truck madness has me really thinking the forged hollows with improve something.

i put wax shavings in the pivot cups when i change the bushings - still cant shake the squeaking/clicking until the trucks are half dead.
[close]

From my experience, wax is a temporary fix.

[close]

I waxed my sliding screen door to stop the screetching and it was also a temporary fix - haha. time to lube both i guess. thanks.

LUBE THAT PUPPY UP. THROW SOME GOT DANG CASTROL ON 'ER. she'll be gud.

IpathCats

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2022, 10:22:47 AM »
Would it be a dick move to go to the other truck threads and ask them to edit the first post with all the specs and useful shit like i did here? Seems like a no brainer to me. would be nice to have all that info handy for each brand.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 264
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2022, 10:28:27 AM »
I first used stage V in 1986. they were pretty sweet.
Rode stage 6 and 7 (the best). Stage 8, I had some at the end with black kingpins (I had 2 sets with silver kingpins that the pin sucked).
Stage 9 - I hated and am still mad about that period. Not sure if it was mental or not, but i could not skate the same on them.
stage 10 - pretty good
Stage 11- pretty good.

I have some 129s (7.75 deck), 139s (small egg) and 144s (8.25 deck) of stage 11 currently.

Thanks
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

IpathCats

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »
If anyone knows the bushing specs (height) and the wheelbase on the mids/forged mids, please let me know. That would basically complete the specs on the first post.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2022, 11:40:02 AM »
Skating first pair of indys in like 3.5 years (hollow forged). Things are great but the part where the hanger goes into the pivot cup seems to wiggle a bit even when cranked down, Almost like the cup is too thin. Never had this issue with any other truck before to my recollection. Tried some other indy pivot cups and still same issue. Will riptides solve this? Is this normal? Could probably learn to ignore it, but its making my board sound a little weird when throwing down.

https://imgur.com/C8BR2ge

Frank and Fred

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2022, 11:49:10 AM »
Perfectly normal.

IpathCats

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2022, 11:51:02 AM »
Skating first pair of indys in like 3.5 years (hollow forged). Things are great but the part where the hanger goes into the pivot cup seems to wiggle a bit even when cranked down, Almost like the cup is too thin. Never had this issue with any other truck before to my recollection. Tried some other indy pivot cups and still same issue. Will riptides solve this? Is this normal? Could probably learn to ignore it, but its making my board sound a little weird when throwing down.

https://imgur.com/C8BR2ge

no riptides will not solve this, yes it is normal, at least a small amount of play any way.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2022, 11:53:30 AM »
Damn that sucks. I don't recall if this happened on my 149 titaniums years ago. Weird I never ever noticed this on any of the ventures, aces or thunders I've skated recently. Is there a remedy for it at all?

IpathCats

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2022, 11:58:23 AM »
Damn that sucks. I don't recall if this happened on my 149 titaniums years ago. Weird I never ever noticed this on any of the ventures, aces or thunders I've skated recently. Is there a remedy for it at all?

I've only observed it on the forged indys ive ridden. I've also been on Ace classic/AF1, thunder team hollows, and venture v lights in that time. I have a pair of 149 standards im about to setup, curious if it will occur on them.

You may have an exaggerated instance of it though, either a super small hanger nub piece, or the hole in the pivot cup is too large.

If it bothers you that bad get Ace's if you prefer a surfier ride, or thunders if you like a snappier more stable ride is what i would suggest.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2022, 12:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've only observed it on the forged indys ive ridden. I've also been on Ace classic/AF1, thunder team hollows, and venture v lights in that time. I have a pair of 149 standards im about to setup, curious if it will occur on them.

You may have an exaggerated instance of it though, either a super small hanger nub piece, or the hole in the pivot cup is too large.

If it bothers you that bad get Ace's if you prefer a surfier ride, or thunders if you like a snappier more stable ride is what i would suggest.

I just migrated from aces haha. Liking everything about these besides this one thing. Maybe the riptides I have coming will make it a bit better. If not I'll just deal with it

Frank and Fred

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2022, 01:05:37 PM »
With your weight on the board, it will be a non issue. Nothing to worry about.

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2022, 01:20:46 PM »
If anyone knows the bushing specs (height) and the wheelbase on the mids/forged mids, please let me know. That would basically complete the specs on the first post.

My measurements
Std forged +3.1875
Cast mid +3
Forged mid unknown

Top bushing 10.25mm
Bot bushing. 13mm

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2022, 01:25:35 PM »
With your weight on the board, it will be a non issue. Nothing to worry about.

+1

Most pivots/cups end up being a hot dog in a hallway scenario no matter what you do. Only new pivots (thicker walled ones) will fix that.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2022, 01:46:34 PM »
Okay cool because there's a few other things that are throwing me off. Trucks sometimes lean after a long slappy and don't snap back to center and I've had these bushings for a good couple sessions already. Ordered the blue aftermarkets. Also the board just sounds weird but probably more due to forged plates and hollow axles... and softer bones wheels. I'll deal with it

LebowskisRug

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »
Flex the truck super hard so the wheel touches the deck and see if the bushings are spilling over. I had a few sets of aftermarket Indy bushings where the bottom washer was kinda small and this happened as did a friend. The top washer was also kinda sharp.

huggernaut

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2022, 02:24:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My measurements
Std forged +3.1875
Cast mid +3
Forged mid unknown

Top bushing 10.25mm
Bot bushing. 13mm

Nice!  Now I just want this for all trucks. Haha

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2022, 04:22:37 PM »
Favorite Indy setup is 159 hangers with the IKP baseplates. Love how grinds don't wear down the head of the shaft. Bushings are basically whatever works for my situation, I skate shaped decks and depending on the shape I need a softer or harder bushings between 90a-92a.

The problem with the IKPs though is that it's super easy to over tighten the kingpin and blow out a bushing since there isn't as much resistance compared to tightening the nut on a normal baseplate and you can't visually see how far you tighten the kingpin. Tried Bones bushings with it and kept cranking the kingpin down because it just wasn't feeling tight enough. Soon found out that the bottom bushing blew out from just me tightening the kingpin too much.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:31:24 PM by yourbreakfsat »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2022, 05:45:51 PM »
Would it be a dick move to go to the other truck threads and ask them to edit the first post with all the specs and useful shit like i did here? Seems like a no brainer to me. would be nice to have all that info handy for each brand.

Man the first post edit is great. They def need that on other truck threads. Super helpful and will cut down on people having to read who knows how many pages etc. to find that info. Gnarred

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2022, 07:40:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man the first post edit is great. They def need that on other truck threads. Super helpful and will cut down on people having to read who knows how many pages etc. to find that info. Gnarred

Yeah, this first post with all relevant info is a good one for sure!!!!

That is why I had to do something almost crazy with the Woodshop thread, but at least, being a work in progress it can still be edited and updated, so the first page, or in this case the first post can still have all relevant information as people add things to whatever is going on.

I guess the hardest thing with a lot of threads is the initial post may be from a person that either has not a whole lot of interest in constantly updating a first post, or may not be a current user, as per older Woodshop threads.

Already seeing a lot more rad info in one place is better for curious people or a good list of info too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2022, 09:36:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess the hardest thing with a lot of threads is the initial post may be from a person that either has not a whole lot of interest in constantly updating a first post, or may not be a current user, as per older Woodshop threads.

Mods can make this happen....if they feel up to it...

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2022, 10:45:37 PM »
I ride 149 hollows with stock bushings and I like everything about them except the kingpin clearance.  I know that I could cut down the bushings and kps but am neither equipped nor skilled (i.e. can‘t be arsed) to do it. I‘ll just grind thru the kingpin and deal with hangups.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

IpathCats

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2022, 04:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Credit to @Xen ! His idea, I just did the legwork haha.

I DM'd the venture and thunder thread ops and asked them to update. The ace guy is long gone. Hasn't been on since 2015.

IpathCats

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2022, 05:01:34 AM »
Okay cool because there's a few other things that are throwing me off. Trucks sometimes lean after a long slappy and don't snap back to center and I've had these bushings for a good couple sessions already. Ordered the blue aftermarkets. Also the board just sounds weird but probably more due to forged plates and hollow axles... and softer bones wheels. I'll deal with it

That's always been kind of a meme with indys I remember Taylor nawrocki making memes about how your board goes off on a turn if you don't land your trick while skating indys or something. Maybe harder bushings would fix this? Looser trucks? Idk. I'm kinda heavy footed on my board, it doesn't bother me while skating.

IpathCats

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2022, 05:16:49 AM »
Favorite Indy setup is 159 hangers with the IKP baseplates. Love how grinds don't wear down the head of the shaft. Bushings are basically whatever works for my situation, I skate shaped decks and depending on the shape I need a softer or harder bushings between 90a-92a.

The problem with the IKPs though is that it's super easy to over tighten the kingpin and blow out a bushing since there isn't as much resistance compared to tightening the nut on a normal baseplate and you can't visually see how far you tighten the kingpin. Tried Bones bushings with it and kept cranking the kingpin down because it just wasn't feeling tight enough. Soon found out that the bottom bushing blew out from just me tightening the kingpin too much.

Bones bushings just blow out, they're very short lived, that's why you see guys skating fresh ones all the time. Softer they are, the quicker that built in washer sinks into the bushing.

TerrorizedCivilian

• Rep: 16
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2022, 05:29:31 AM »
what's everyone's favorite Indy variant? This will be a fun one.

Mines got to be stage 11 ti 149 hanger, ikp cast baseplate and the stock bushings nice and worn in. A lovely weight and height for a truck and your kingpin doesn’t get ground down, it’s perfect for me as I like my trucks loose and squirrely even though I keep switching back and forward between these and ace classics, the truck madness is real.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2022, 06:07:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's always been kind of a meme with indys I remember Taylor nawrocki making memes about how your board goes off on a turn if you don't land your trick while skating indys or something. Maybe harder bushings would fix this? Looser trucks? Idk. I'm kinda heavy footed on my board, it doesn't bother me while skating.

I think it's just a thing, I have the slightly harder blue bushings and if anything that turn after not making something is even worse.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2022, 07:16:11 PM »
I have a set of 144 standards that are pretty ground down and I was thinking of getting a set of mids to replace them. I've been preferring more of a mid truck height (thunder / Ace height) lately and it seems like Indy mids are on sale everywhere. The only thing holding me back are the various kingpin and baseplate issues I've seen here. How have these lasted for people that skate them? Are they on sale for a reason? I was thinking of just going with forged hollows but they're like double the price lol.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »
I have a set of 144 standards that are pretty ground down and I was thinking of getting a set of mids to replace them. I've been preferring more of a mid truck height (thunder / Ace height) lately and it seems like Indy mids are on sale everywhere. The only thing holding me back are the various kingpin and baseplate issues I've seen here. How have these lasted for people that skate them? Are they on sale for a reason? I was thinking of just going with forged hollows but they're like double the price lol.

The small vocal community [on slap] certainly isn't the reason they're on sale; if I had to guess, they're just a niche segment in the truck market and I don't think the IKP sways a lot of 'indy' people...a 'mid' without the IKP would probably sell better (looking at you royal standard/ultra/ACE/Thunder)...and with indy, you already have so many plate/material options with 55mm and 53.5mm height trucks...do you really need a 52mm option?

Plus out of the gate they got bagged on for the heavyweight design of adding more meat to the hanger to maintain IKP clearance...weird design choice...standard [cast] indy mids are heavier than standard indys...,the reynolds hollows come closer to regs indy and the forged hollows mids come pretty close to the regular forged hollows.

A few folks have had the kingpin loosen over time (I have not, on any truck with the IKP...), and ever fewer have reported the shaft nut loosening in the plate issue (I'd argue ACE sees more loose pins by comparison), but that might be relative to the amount of people skating them? I usually see the Tiagos on sale, never the reynolds (hollows).

Personally, the 50.5mm forged hollow mid is where it's at...zero complaints and they've become my [current] favorite truck.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:20:17 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2022, 08:08:40 PM »
Mids were cool and had their advantages for sure. I just preferred the pop feel of the Forged Hollows over them. I had the shaft nut and loosening issue and never rode my replacements.

As for being on sale: I asked 2 shops local to me why they don't stock Mids and they both said that they had an initial run that didn't sell well. I am guessing that most people that want Indys don't want what they perceive is a low truck (even tho it isn't), don't care about IKP, and probably don't even know that forged trucks are lower when they buy them. When they find out they're not lighter they probably just buy what they're used to. Outside of Slap your average skater is quite clueless about gear details a lot of times. I had a dude tell me Thunders were low and he was on Ace's that were 1mm higher. A dude I see at the skatepark has 1 cast hollow Indy and 1 regular. Shit like that.

So definitely a good truck and fun to ride. I didn't think their pop feel was that great for the decks that I was on and I don't need an IKP. If you don't like them, get a cheap pair of closeout or used Indy standards and swap the hanger onto the plates.