Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118600 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2022, 10:51:27 AM »

With ACE/Royal/Indy I don't have to pay attention to avoid wheelbite, I can just skate (it still happens tho) when I skate thunders I'm constantly shifting my weight to consciously avoid it during turns, especially if I'm slappying; if I'm doing flat/big ollies or ledges, thunders are fine since it's all straight lines w/quick setup.

Havent tried the royals, but this is my exact experience with ACE/Indy vs thunder.

Complete opposite for me. I do tight u-turns all the time, carve fine, zero issues with wheelbite on Thunders. Maybe I'm just a twitchy dude? I stopped really questioning it when I realized that it just doesn't happen to me. Most people feel my trucks are pretty medium to medium loose. Definitely not squirrely. I think for me there is a nice quick snap to and from center with Thunder and with Indy maybe it has to do with the effective wheelbase or extra clearance of the standards that made it work well for me. I prob shoulda used blue bushings with less kingpin tightness.

I also recently rode Forged Ti 144's and think even a 149 woulda been smarter since I usually ride 8.38 or the DLX 8.25, which actually measures 8.38. Almost always 52's, sometimes a 53. I did have wider wheels on my last few Indy setups, which definitely doesn't help with bite.

I only really wheelbite when landing too lead footed on specific tricks and flip tricks usually 360 flips or nollie 180's when moving relatively fast (for me). I do pretty tight u-turns at a lot of spots and never had issues there (Oakland Courthouse was one for reference, where Venture dudes often tic-tac the u-turns). I've ridden looser before and it doesn't add anything to my ability to do tricks (actually makes most tricks pop shittier and unstable landings at speed) and I don't view truck looseness/tightness as a point of pride.

Where I really like Indys and sometimes miss them is on transition where I can kinda progressively lean into the arc. Trucks are weird. Maybe someday I'll try em again.

lol after reading your posts for a while now, it seems like you have a completely different experience with most things vs most people. I wonder why this is? Not trying to make fun of you or anything, but i feel like ive seen this happen several times in shoes and gear when people are talking about little details. your experience ends up being the opposite quite often.

IpathCats

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »
Also, if anyone has new pics or info on those new indys don't be scared to share!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2022, 12:05:43 PM »
Expand Quote

With ACE/Royal/Indy I don't have to pay attention to avoid wheelbite, I can just skate (it still happens tho) when I skate thunders I'm constantly shifting my weight to consciously avoid it during turns, especially if I'm slappying; if I'm doing flat/big ollies or ledges, thunders are fine since it's all straight lines w/quick setup.
[close]

Havent tried the royals, but this is my exact experience with ACE/Indy vs thunder.

Expand Quote
Complete opposite for me. I do tight u-turns all the time, carve fine, zero issues with wheelbite on Thunders. Maybe I'm just a twitchy dude? I stopped really questioning it when I realized that it just doesn't happen to me. Most people feel my trucks are pretty medium to medium loose. Definitely not squirrely. I think for me there is a nice quick snap to and from center with Thunder and with Indy maybe it has to do with the effective wheelbase or extra clearance of the standards that made it work well for me. I prob shoulda used blue bushings with less kingpin tightness.

I also recently rode Forged Ti 144's and think even a 149 woulda been smarter since I usually ride 8.38 or the DLX 8.25, which actually measures 8.38. Almost always 52's, sometimes a 53. I did have wider wheels on my last few Indy setups, which definitely doesn't help with bite.

I only really wheelbite when landing too lead footed on specific tricks and flip tricks usually 360 flips or nollie 180's when moving relatively fast (for me). I do pretty tight u-turns at a lot of spots and never had issues there (Oakland Courthouse was one for reference, where Venture dudes often tic-tac the u-turns). I've ridden looser before and it doesn't add anything to my ability to do tricks (actually makes most tricks pop shittier and unstable landings at speed) and I don't view truck looseness/tightness as a point of pride.

Where I really like Indys and sometimes miss them is on transition where I can kinda progressively lean into the arc. Trucks are weird. Maybe someday I'll try em again.
[close]

lol after reading your posts for a while now, it seems like you have a completely different experience with most things vs most people. I wonder why this is? Not trying to make fun of you or anything, but i feel like ive seen this happen several times in shoes and gear when people are talking about little details. your experience ends up being the opposite quite often.

It's because ACE/INDY/Royal, actually turn instead of lean/zigzag.

(   vs   /
)         \
(         /

Almost 100% of the time, he's either trolling...or just..well...whatever.

It's like Ben, if you say you don't wheelbite on thunders, sorry my dude, you are not riding 'medium loose' or nut flush on 52s and if you are, you weigh 90lbs wet and go in straight lines or land BOLTS/PERFECTLY EVERYTIME :) I'm 190lbs now, and the way I want thunders to skate is impossible, the only way to dodge wheel bite are super hard bushings tight af and I just falloff stepping on the board as it won't flow with my bodyweight.

I'll say this with confidence, people who think they skate medium loose, don't usually.

Tensors ATGs work well/the same way as the others but they're taller so they shouldn't bite as much.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 12:18:05 PM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's like Ben, if you say you don't wheelbite on thunders, sorry my dude, you are not riding 'medium loose' or nut flush on 52s and if you are, you weigh 90lbs wet and go in straight lines or land BOLTS/PERFECTLY EVERYTIME :) I'm 190lbs now, and the way I want thunders to skate is impossible, the only way to dodge wheel bite are super hard bushings tight af and I just falloff stepping on the board as it won't flow with my bodyweight.

Tensors ATGs work well/the same way as the others but they're taller so they shouldn't bite as much.

Nah I've skated with him he's being for real. Trucks definitely medium loose and not 90 pounds wet.

Though yeah I also bite pretty hard on thunders if I don't have them a good medium tight, about 195-200 pounds. People just have different preferences you'd be surprised at what skaters think of certain boards, wheels, trucks n shoes out in the real world, off of this forum.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2022, 12:23:54 PM »
The only things I am aware of that are different for me are how Thunder trucks seem stable for me, that I wear the same size in all NB shoes (everyone I know that skates them does as well), and.... I'm not sure what else really. Can you find any examples? My mentality in any activity I have done is just to find what works for me and not worry about how it differs. The madness happens when you try to micromanage what works and tweak things to solve small problems. With trucks I've been successfully gaslighted into thinking some form of Indy is the answer.

It seems that by now enough people have had the same gripes about the Powell Dragons vs their original marketing claims, but I think they're a good wheel just not for what I mostly skate. A few other posters agreed with me, but I write more direct/blunt so it probably sounds more angry from me when its not. I ended up trying Royals and still think the finish is cheap, but they skate nice minus the harder grind. That's not really an abnormal opinion either. Most of my findings with gear seem to line up with Ben Degros' notes.

For trucks I think it's not that unusual that there's people that prefer Thunders and find them stable. Their cheesy motto is "know control". Before the huge DLX Venture push most people I came across in the Bay that were not on Indys were on Thunders and didn't seem to have issues.

I only know 1 person in real life that is as prideful of their loose trucks as people on Slap seem to be and the vast majority of pros I have seen skate in real life are on pretty stock/medium seeming setups. I did try Bones in Thunders once and got way more wheelbite with those. I rode Thunders from ~2000-2008 and then from 2018-2020, so probably 80% of my setups in my life have had em on there. I learned just about every single trick on them. Or maybe it's because I have pretty strong ankles from other things I do? I dunno, it just works and I note my experience.

So ya I can't really answer your question. I like the new Vans skate line and it seems that's sorta contentious for some. Lots of people have chewed up Venture top bushings and find they pop heavier and turn a bit slower so that's not that abnormal either. I could be blanking on other things but those are things I've likely commented on the most recently. If you think about it there aren't many people that both post a lot and are really interested in all types of gear so you probably just see my posts more.

IpathCats

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2022, 12:30:05 PM »
The only things I am aware of that are different for me are how Thunder trucks seem stable for me, that I wear the same size in all NB shoes (everyone I know that skates them does as well), and.... I'm not sure what else really. Can you find any examples? My mentality in any activity I have done is just to find what works for me and not worry about how it differs. The madness happens when you try to micromanage what works and tweak things to solve small problems. With trucks I've been successfully gaslighted into thinking some form of Indy is the answer.

It seems that by now enough people have had the same gripes about the Powell Dragons vs their original marketing claims, but I think they're a good wheel just not for what I mostly skate. A few other posters agreed with me, but I write more direct/blunt so it probably sounds more angry from me when its not. I ended up trying Royals and still think the finish is cheap, but they skate nice minus the harder grind. That's not really an abnormal opinion either. Most of my findings with gear seem to line up with Ben Degros' notes.

For trucks I think it's not that unusual that there's people that prefer Thunders and find them stable. Their cheesy motto is "know control". Before the huge DLX Venture push most people I came across in the Bay that were not on Indys were on Thunders and didn't seem to have issues.

I only know 1 person in real life that is as prideful of their loose trucks as people on Slap seem to be and the vast majority of pros I have seen skate in real life are on pretty stock/medium seeming setups. I did try Bones in Thunders once and got way more wheelbite with those. I rode Thunders from ~2000-2008 and then from 2018-2020, so probably 80% of my setups in my life have had em on there. I learned just about every single trick on them. Or maybe it's because I have pretty strong ankles from other things I do? I dunno, it just works and I note my experience.

So ya I can't really answer your question. I like the new Vans skate line and it seems that's sorta contentious for some. Lots of people have chewed up Venture top bushings and find they pop heavier and turn a bit slower so that's not that abnormal either. I could be blanking on other things but those are things I've likely commented on the most recently. If you think about it there aren't many people that both post a lot and are really interested in all types of gear so you probably just see my posts more.

Wasn't trying to call you out negatively or anything, just an observation. One thing i can think of off the top of my head was either in the royal or thunder thread when people were discussing pop feel, you had a totally different take. If these are your experiences, theres nothing wrong with that. not trying to fault you. It just seems like youre prone to be an outlier for some reason. haha.

funeral_tuxedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2022, 12:34:23 PM »
Thunders are full on landmine trucks…..I jump on em and get ejected…..aces you swerve real hard before you wheelbite….lately I have been wheel biting on ventures but the angle isn’t bad….it’s like a form of braking….

That's a perfect description for Thunder wheelbite.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2022, 12:58:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wasn't trying to call you out negatively or anything, just an observation. One thing i can think of off the top of my head was either in the royal or thunder thread when people were discussing pop feel, you had a totally different take. If these are your experiences, theres nothing wrong with that. not trying to fault you. It just seems like youre prone to be an outlier for some reason. haha.

Oh no worries I was just thinking out loud. I was one of the first people to get a lot of time on Dragons and strongly disagreed with one of the main poster's claims about the wheels. That got a lot of negative visibility as did my comments on early Royal photos. Nowadays I just try to relay my own experiences. Royals do pop pretty light and that was my experience. I think I prefer how Thunders pop and flip the most because they are a bit heavier than Royal or Indy forged, but still quicker and lighter than Indy Standard or Venture. Although since this is the Indy thread, there are many days where I recall the fun turn and higher pop yield of my Indy's and that nice buttery grind.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2022, 03:24:04 PM »
The percentage of people who don’t ride Indy and the number of people in the world who consider themselves unhappy is exactly the same…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2022, 05:10:44 PM »
The percentage of people who don’t ride Indy and the number of people in the world who consider themselves unhappy is exactly the same…..

Can't say a 100% disagree...when I setup Thunders, after an hour I just go "why tf did I do this again?" That happens monthly...ngl, I love the thunder pop feel, how nimble they are, pinch, weight, and how they make 14.25" WB feel sooooo good (which is the most common WB these days)...honestly they'd be perfect if it weren't for...

Wheelbite just makes them a no go and I am too [old] set in my ways to start riding tight trucks...from the moment I stepped on a real board (first real board had indy stage IIIs) I loosened them to the point no one else can ride board.

Indys are still heavy.

So, then I get back on indy and go huh...everything's fine, it's just me that sucks now :P

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2022, 05:27:17 PM »
And heavy trucks make no difference until you have one bad day……

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2022, 07:57:54 PM »
And heavy trucks make no difference until you have one bad day……

I feel the difference with impossibles..heavy boards/trucks and longer boards make it harder for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2022, 08:00:27 PM »
I was perusing sales today when I noticed Indy has dropped "fuck the rest" from their recent merch. They have an FTR tee but I didn't see anything labeled as "new" with anything remotely objectionable

IpathCats

« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2022, 08:16:18 PM »
First sesh on the 149 standards today. Weight is noticeable, but I think the height makes it manageable. Felt like I was popping off kickers/bumps much better. I also missed the extra bit of hanger space while skating 144s.

I wonder how long until madness makes me get the 149 cast hollows.... Just so I know, you know?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2022, 08:17:58 PM »
First sesh on the 149 standards today. Weight is noticeable, but I think the height makes it manageable. Felt like I was popping off kickers/bumps much better. I also missed the extra bit of hanger space while skating 144s.

I wonder how long until madness makes me get the 149 cast hollows.... Just so I know, you know?

That's why I always lead with ti, I know cast/standards will never be an option (I do have those heavy-ass cast IKP plates tho, collecting dust). Forged hollow is the heaviest indy I'll ride and even then...

IpathCats

« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2022, 08:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's why I always lead with ti, I know cast/standards will never be an option (I do have those heavy-ass cast IKP plates tho, collecting dust). Forged hollow is the heaviest indy I'll ride and even then...

I swore by the titanium's, but something about the weight of standard make me feel like I have more control in the air. Idk it's all trade offs, I'm gonna try and run these for a while. We'll see how long it lasts.

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2022, 11:06:30 PM »
Also, if anyone has new pics or info on those new indys don't be scared to share!

Who’s got photos?

I saw them on IG for like 1 day. Some people were testing them out. Can’t wait to get a good look at them. Heard they’re suppose to be out in the next couple months.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2022, 11:08:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who’s got photos?

I saw them on IG for like 1 day. Some people were testing them out. Can’t wait to get a good look at them. Heard they’re suppose to be out in the next couple months.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3857538#msg3857538

IpathCats

« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2022, 06:12:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who’s got photos?

They're on the first or second page of this thread. originally why i made this thread.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2022, 06:50:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I swore by the titanium's, but something about the weight of standard make me feel like I have more control in the air. Idk it's all trade offs, I'm gonna try and run these for a while. We'll see how long it lasts.

I also didn't like the way titaniums felt in the air. I think I heard it described as less of a solid feedback when the board sucks up to your feet. It doesn't make much sense to me since they're about the same weight as the model of Thunders I ride. I liked the satisfying feeling of catching a flip trick with standards. There was a solid impact against your feet.

I sized up to 149 trucks this week and so far so good. I did notice that scoopy tricks were a tad different. For back tails I had to swing marginally later to get my wheel to clear the top of the ledge better. 360 flips scoop slower but I don't think that's a bad thing for me. Backside flips actually felt like they loaded up and rotated better. I've been trying to learn fakie sw front crooks and having issues really pinching the wheel and leaning in. The marginal extra room allowed me to hit the ledge at a better angle. Shit even a standard backside 50-50 on a curb felt dope.

I also switched from 54mm Classic fulls (34.5mm wide) to 52mm Classics, which nets me about an extra 3-4mm or 1/8"

LebowskisRug

« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2022, 06:53:09 AM »
Oh and I'm 6 foot 3, 165, size 10 shoe for whoever things my truck tightness matters. I ride how they come stock and have skated with a decent amount of folks from this board all of whom have stepped on my board and mostly agreed. I ride a pretty damn generic setup. I used to run my shit super loose drinking the Slap koolaid but I actually wanted to progress and land stuff so I tightened them up. It's super irrelevant. The best skaters I know on Indy's ride them ranging from disgustingly rattling loose to cranked black aftermarket's and you can't tell from watching them skate.

IpathCats

« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2022, 07:13:06 AM »
Oh and I'm 6 foot 3, 165, size 10 shoe for whoever things my truck tightness matters. I ride how they come stock and have skated with a decent amount of folks from this board all of whom have stepped on my board and mostly agreed. I ride a pretty damn generic setup. I used to run my shit super loose drinking the Slap koolaid but I actually wanted to progress and land stuff so I tightened them up. It's super irrelevant. The best skaters I know on Indy's ride them ranging from disgustingly rattling loose to cranked black aftermarket's and you can't tell from watching them skate.

We are shockingly similar in our body specs haha

I also didn't like the way titaniums felt in the air. I think I heard it described as less of a solid feedback when the board sucks up to your feet. It doesn't make much sense to me since they're about the same weight as the model of Thunders I ride. I liked the satisfying feeling of catching a flip trick with standards. There was a solid impact against your feet.

I can relate to this feeling.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way

LebowskisRug

« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2022, 01:21:45 PM »
I wonder why Indy used 6 hole plates on the Gold Mids when it's a truck for dudes that specifically would never need 6 hole plates? Are Mids and low trucks popular with slappy dudes that might want that feature?

In all practicality they prob just had a surplus of 6 hole plates.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2022, 01:37:12 PM »
It could be to create a buzz……

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2022, 02:37:28 PM »
I wonder why Indy used 6 hole plates on the Gold Mids when it's a truck for dudes that specifically would never need 6 hole plates? Are Mids and low trucks popular with slappy dudes that might want that feature?

In all practicality they prob just had a surplus of 6 hole plates.
They didn't?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2022, 04:02:59 PM »
Some do, some don’t. My guess is that the larger size of Indys just come with the six-bolt baseplate, but I don’t know and am not going to bother to learn.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2022, 04:06:52 PM »
109, 159, 169, and 215s come with 6 hole baseplates.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2022, 04:26:19 PM »
Some do, some don’t. My guess is that the larger size of Indys just come with the six-bolt baseplate, but I don’t know and am not going to bother to learn.

Yeah, the big ones always do. Nothing special about the gold ones

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah I've skated with him he's being for real. Trucks definitely medium loose and not 90 pounds wet.

Though yeah I also bite pretty hard on thunders if I don't have them a good medium tight, about 195-200 pounds. People just have different preferences you'd be surprised at what skaters think of certain boards, wheels, trucks n shoes out in the real world, off of this forum.

FWIW, the dude who works at my local skates loose Thunders with big (ish) wheels and he told me wheelbite isn't an issue.. He's a big dude too, at least 6 foot. I'm personally jealous, I can never skate thunders as loose as I want to unless I put on super small wheels.