Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118564 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2022, 05:21:29 PM »
Bobby D and Jake Anderson also skate loose Thunders with 54 Conicall Fulls and larger but they use risers.

About the 6 holes it's really weird- my friend sent me the NHS link and the thumbnail on iMessage has 6 holes and when you click through they don't. Looking at various ads on social media some are 6 and some are 4. I've never ridden 159+ trucks so that would explain why I didn't know this was a standard feature.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2022, 05:40:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

With ACE/Royal/Indy I don't have to pay attention to avoid wheelbite, I can just skate (it still happens tho) when I skate thunders I'm constantly shifting my weight to consciously avoid it during turns, especially if I'm slappying; if I'm doing flat/big ollies or ledges, thunders are fine since it's all straight lines w/quick setup.
[close]

Havent tried the royals, but this is my exact experience with ACE/Indy vs thunder.

Expand Quote
Complete opposite for me. I do tight u-turns all the time, carve fine, zero issues with wheelbite on Thunders. Maybe I'm just a twitchy dude? I stopped really questioning it when I realized that it just doesn't happen to me. Most people feel my trucks are pretty medium to medium loose. Definitely not squirrely. I think for me there is a nice quick snap to and from center with Thunder and with Indy maybe it has to do with the effective wheelbase or extra clearance of the standards that made it work well for me. I prob shoulda used blue bushings with less kingpin tightness.

I also recently rode Forged Ti 144's and think even a 149 woulda been smarter since I usually ride 8.38 or the DLX 8.25, which actually measures 8.38. Almost always 52's, sometimes a 53. I did have wider wheels on my last few Indy setups, which definitely doesn't help with bite.

I only really wheelbite when landing too lead footed on specific tricks and flip tricks usually 360 flips or nollie 180's when moving relatively fast (for me). I do pretty tight u-turns at a lot of spots and never had issues there (Oakland Courthouse was one for reference, where Venture dudes often tic-tac the u-turns). I've ridden looser before and it doesn't add anything to my ability to do tricks (actually makes most tricks pop shittier and unstable landings at speed) and I don't view truck looseness/tightness as a point of pride.

Where I really like Indys and sometimes miss them is on transition where I can kinda progressively lean into the arc. Trucks are weird. Maybe someday I'll try em again.
[close]

lol after reading your posts for a while now, it seems like you have a completely different experience with most things vs most people. I wonder why this is? Not trying to make fun of you or anything, but i feel like ive seen this happen several times in shoes and gear when people are talking about little details. your experience ends up being the opposite quite often.
[close]

Almost 100% of the time, he's either trolling...or just..well...whatever.

It's like Ben, if you say you don't wheelbite on thunders, sorry my dude, you are not riding 'medium loose' or nut flush on 52s and if you are, you weigh 90lbs wet and go in straight lines or land BOLTS/PERFECTLY EVERYTIME :) I'm 190lbs now, and the way I want thunders to skate is impossible, the only way to dodge wheel bite are super hard bushings tight af and I just falloff stepping on the board as it won't flow with my bodyweight.

Tensors ATGs work well/the same way as the others but they're taller so they shouldn't bite as much.
[close]

Nah I've skated with him he's being for real. Trucks definitely medium loose and not 90 pounds wet.

Though yeah I also bite pretty hard on thunders if I don't have them a good medium tight, about 195-200 pounds. People just have different preferences you'd be surprised at what skaters think of certain boards, wheels, trucks n shoes out in the real world, off of this forum.
[close]

FWIW, the dude who works at my local skates loose Thunders with big (ish) wheels and he told me wheelbite isn't an issue.. He's a big dude too, at least 6 foot. I'm personally jealous, I can never skate thunders as loose as I want to unless I put on super small wheels.

Wish I could [easily] too; skated thunders last night, lots of wheelbite (148s with blue bushings vs my normal 149/white bushings...which are WBite city), switched on/off to boards with indy and tensor....and....no wheelbite on the same tricks/obstacles..

Anyway, indy thread, thunder thread is this way ------> https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.0

The primitive X indy drop is def odd...Gold Ventures? I could see that...maybe the ribeiro/Yamashita/ tiago fans are hyped?

Switched from the 149 mids forged hollows w/ACE bushings to 149 ti with bones meds (the classic combo) just to see if the mids being 'better' is just in my head or if the mids' height/weight really does work better for me...pretty sure it's just due to skating everyday of late.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:54:53 PM by Xen »

IpathCats

« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2022, 07:11:10 PM »
+1 for not being able to ride thunders as loose as I wanted. I was either too stiff or constantly wheel biting on those trucks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2022, 09:46:23 PM »

I will always just ride the Stage 11 standard polished trucks, 149 mostly nowdays on 8.38 to 8.5 boards, but I do have pretty much every other size on various boards, from older normal setups 8.12 on 139s to cruisers and fun boards, eg 129s with Mini Cubic wheels, then 159s on 8.6 to 8.75, 169s on 9 and up bigger decks.

The other day I got through a trade some forged baseplate, ti axle 159s and have been mixing and matching with them.

The ti axles sure are a lot lighter overall, which is good for bigger trucks, but I was getting so much wheelbite with the forged plates for how I usually set up my board, compared to almost none when I swapped the hangers and everything else over to cast plates.

Just goes to show how much I am used to that 55mm height of standards, so even the smallest 1.5mm lower and I had to take care not to come off.

When I put some really thin rubber risers under them, they were just about right for my muscle memory, but they will most likely end up on someone else's setup anyway, more just a trial and bit of fun while I had them.

If I was running normal bigger boards with 159 or 169s and had issues with weight, the ti axle hangers with cast plates would be my go to, but it is easy enough to make or get hold of pretty much whatever size rubber to make risers to suit as well, keep them stock with the forged plates.

The cruiser boards I have with bigger standard 159 or 169 trucks all have 1/4" risers anyway, usually with 60mm 90 duro wheels, which works well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

southphillytapwater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2022, 04:19:12 AM »

Another pic of the new indys. The one dude from Metal sent me this, said Ben had a hard time getting them.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2022, 05:04:07 AM »
They really look different in every pic. Looking fine here

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2022, 05:44:41 AM »
Look like an ace kinda. Don’t mind it. I like how aces look.

IpathCats

« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2022, 05:53:37 AM »

Another pic of the new indys. The one dude from Metal sent me this, said Ben had a hard time getting them.

This is the shit that makes me run out to check my phone, when my work pc strips the image.

Edit: got to my phone. These look just like aces haha, which were Indy rip offs, so they look like indys? I was kinda stoked on the first images tbh. New/different while still being retro somehow

LebowskisRug

« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2022, 05:57:23 AM »
 Somehow, and I can't explain how, it's like a better Looking Ace.

I've got an Anti Hero egg sitting here I pulled my 149 Thunders off of that I never really rode. Might put some 159s on that and my Dragons or some old choady wheels and use that mostly for slappies.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2022, 06:50:44 AM »
Somehow, and I can't explain how, it's like a better Looking Ace.

I've got an Anti Hero egg sitting here I pulled my 149 Thunders off of that I never really rode. Might put some 159s on that and my Dragons or some old choady wheels and use that mostly for slappies.

It’s only better looking from that angle. It’s hiding the ‘wings’ on the underside.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2022, 07:37:37 AM »
Really hoping that new Indy comes in 151 that been previous rumored. I usually ride 8.375, and that size truck would be perfect.

IpathCats

« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2022, 07:43:16 AM »
Really hoping that new Indy comes in 151 that been previous rumored. I usually ride 8.375, and that size truck would be perfect.

You a hotrod kinda guy? I run 149/144 on 8.38. I suppose a 151 would be THAT extreme though. I just lean towards magic carpet/flush than hotrod. sometimes i look at 149s on 8.38 and it makes me want to put the 144's back on haha. i love that hanger space though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2022, 12:09:28 PM »
Given this is an Indy thread should we be saying it looks like an Ace? 

IpathCats

« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2022, 12:21:32 PM »
Given this is an Indy thread should we be saying it looks like an Ace?

but aces look like older indy's

[insert spiderman pointing meme]

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2022, 12:24:21 PM »
ACE? Uh, they look like 215s...

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2022, 01:24:23 PM »
Chico Brenes had previously shown off these mystery Independents.

Mystery Indys solved! 166 Stage 4 as seen on Chico Brenes' IG story.

https://streamable.com/0gq21p

I don't believe this to be NOS since there's no Iron Cross logo, the size is shown on the hanger, and we've seen other people skate these.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »
I swear with 149 on 8.38 I didn't see my wheels as much as I am with Thunders. +1 for Indy there. Shit even 149 on 8.25 I never felt hot rodded.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2022, 12:07:10 PM »
I swear with 149 on 8.38 I didn't see my wheels as much as I am with Thunders. +1 for Indy there. Shit even 149 on 8.25 I never felt hot rodded.

I noticed this too. At first I thought it was just the black axle nuts making it look more pronounced. The actual hanger width on the Thunder is just slightly wider than the hanger on the Indy, axle width is the same.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2022, 03:53:12 AM »

I’d fuck with a 151 Indy, 149s are nice on an 8.5
But a hair more truck room would be wonderful

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2022, 06:02:45 AM »
Anyone tried a stiffer bottom bushings to make them more stable in terms of setting up for tricks?

Richard Skidder

« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2022, 06:17:59 AM »
Anyone tried a stiffer bottom bushings to make them more stable in terms of setting up for tricks?

I actually had a blown out stock top on both trucks and all I had laying around were black aftermarket hards, so to keep the session going I threw on the hard tops and left the boardside bushings stock and it stabilized really well. I know it’s the opposite of what you’re talking about and it may have just felt more stable because the roadside ones were blown but it worked really well and I skated them that way for a while.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2022, 06:36:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I actually had a blown out stock top on both trucks and all I had laying around were black aftermarket hards, so to keep the session going I threw on the hard tops and left the boardside bushings stock and it stabilized really well. I know it’s the opposite of what you’re talking about and it may have just felt more stable because the roadside ones were blown but it worked really well and I skated them that way for a while.

I second this. I run harder tops than bottoms. Stock ace does it.  It feels more stable at center and you keep that turn.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:34:31 AM by Murge »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2022, 07:23:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I noticed this too. At first I thought it was just the black axle nuts making it look more pronounced. The actual hanger width on the Thunder is just slightly wider than the hanger on the Indy, axle width is the same.

I think it's how they turn. I mostly notice it riding switch nollie ;)

Richard Skidder

« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2022, 07:16:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think it's how they turn. I mostly notice it riding switch nollie ;)

I too am a fakie aficionado

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2022, 08:16:20 PM »
ACE? Uh, they look like 215s...
Exactly like 215s. Just narrower hangers.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2022, 10:45:14 PM »
215’s=stage 4…ACE=stage 4…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2022, 12:00:09 AM »
Ace = stage 3 IIRC

southphillytapwater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2022, 08:32:01 AM »
I heard Joey Tershay bought the patent for stage 3 and that's how they were able to use the design. Not sure how true that is, but it would make sense why Indy would reissue stage 4 since they don't own stage 3 anymore.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2022, 09:05:38 AM »
I'm not sure that small tweaks to a truck's design would be patentable in the first place, but in any event any patent Independent held on a Stage III truck would be long expired.

I'm not sure what the differences are between Stage III and IV, but the IV has a beefier hanger, so given Ace's problems with bending hangers, it's possible that they went with the IV for a reason such as this. And from Independent's perspective, I think it's probably not be in their interest to produce the exact same truck as does their competitor, even if that truck is originally your design.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2022, 09:25:04 AM »
Ace did v up/beef up the wings for better support but who knows how much that changed the geo?