Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 123724 times)

passtheish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 18, 2023, 11:38:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I put Hollow axles on a standard base plate I found, even has the OG USA stamp on the bottom, but am i messing with the geometry at all?
[close]

wut?

axles have zero effect on geo.  *unless they're bent, i guess.

if the hanger and baseplate are from the same stage, no.

if the bushing are the correct size and you use all the washers, still no.

if you're stoned outta your mind? yeah, yer geo's fukd.

actually came back to see the reply and am stoned , yeah my truck geo is probably fried too lmao

Simmoz

• Rep: 0
« Reply #691 on: January 19, 2023, 12:45:17 AM »

The ikp baseplates you can buy are they forged or cast?

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #692 on: January 19, 2023, 03:43:28 AM »

The ikp baseplates you can buy are they forged or cast?

Cast, only the forged mids have ikp + forged

IpathCats

« Reply #693 on: January 19, 2023, 06:59:08 AM »
can you buy 4 hole cast baseplates with a regular kingpin separately?

I only see the 6 hole and IKP on NHS site.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #694 on: January 19, 2023, 07:28:34 AM »
can you buy 4 hole cast baseplates with a regular kingpin separately?

I only see the 6 hole and IKP on NHS site.

Only 6 hole baseplates.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #695 on: January 19, 2023, 07:32:00 AM »
My friend from a shop emailed this to me. It says they will be available in a month or so.

• Sizes 136 (8.0), 146 (8.375), 151 (8.625), 166 (9.0)
• 55mm tall for optimal performance and wheel clearance with wheels 56mm and under.
• A356 T6 Aluminum Hanger & Baseplate
• The best lightweight aluminum alloy heat treated to T6 condition for strength, durability, and grind feel.
• SCM435 Chromoly Steel Axle
• Highest quality and durability available.
• Grade 8 Kingpin
• 90a Original Cushions w/ printed Bar logo. Cushions are same hardness as stock Indys, using our ultra-high rebound Genuine Parts upgrade urethane formula. These cushions are sized to fit Stages 1-7,and will not fit Stage 11 Trucks.
• Upgrade cushions will be available in 90a (red), 92a (Blue), and 94a (Yellow)
• Stage 4 Cushions and Baseplates not compatible with Stage 11.
• 6-hole, universal baseplate with old and new school mounting patterns.

Stage 4’s are dropping on Skateshop Day. Very few shops are getting them. They will not be available online for the initial release.

IpathCats

« Reply #696 on: January 19, 2023, 08:04:41 AM »
Expand Quote
My friend from a shop emailed this to me. It says they will be available in a month or so.

• 55mm tall for optimal performance and wheel clearance with wheels 56mm and under.
• The best lightweight aluminum alloy heat treated to T6 condition for strength, durability, and grind feel.
• Grade 8 Kingpin
• 90a Original Cushions w/ printed Bar logo. Cushions are same hardness as stock Indys, using our ultra-high rebound Genuine Parts upgrade urethane formula. These cushions are sized to fit Stages 1-7,and will not fit Stage 11 Trucks.
[close]

Stage 4’s are dropping on Skateshop Day. Very few shops are getting them. They will not be available online for the initial release.

Very curious to see how these TURN out.....

all jokes aside, im excited to learn how much they weigh and how they turn.

I'm curious to try them, but im not completely sold yet. Don't think they'll go on my regular board and I dont really NEED to spend the money on different trucks for my cruisers, but we'll see.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #697 on: January 19, 2023, 10:34:53 AM »
I currently have stage 6, 8, 10 and 11 cast,  forged hollow, and Ti.  It seems that I will probably end up with these although I don't need them.  And my wife and I just started a 12 week decluttering class.  But it's ok if I keep them in the garage, right?

IpathCats

« Reply #698 on: January 19, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »
I currently have stage 6, 8, 10 and 11 cast,  forged hollow, and Ti.  It seems that I will probably end up with these although I don't need them.  And my wife and I just started a 12 week decluttering class.  But it's ok if I keep them in the garage, right?

For real?

Are you guys hoarders?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #699 on: January 19, 2023, 11:27:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For real?

Are you guys hoarders?

12 weeks - of decluttering. Will there be anything left?

IpathCats

« Reply #700 on: January 19, 2023, 11:48:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

For real?

Are you guys hoarders?
[close]

12 weeks - of decluttering. Will there be anything left?

Hopefully his wife/marriage

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #701 on: January 19, 2023, 12:24:54 PM »
Expand Quote

• Grade 8 Kingpin
[close]

Thanks.

Weird how you approached sharing this, but thanks.

…and just an hour or so later after the initial ask…suspect…

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #702 on: January 19, 2023, 12:39:48 PM »

good luck with the decluttering

IpathCats

« Reply #703 on: January 19, 2023, 12:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

• Grade 8 Kingpin
[close]

Thanks.

[close]

Its obvious he was baiting lol

I just dont understand the weird dickhead "im not reading/searching" angle haha

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #704 on: January 19, 2023, 12:49:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For real?

Are you guys hoarders?

We live in a reasonably sized house with a good amount of storage, but it's full.  Everyone has multiple hobbies that come with gear - skateboarding, biking (road, mountain and cyclocross), skiing (downhill, xc and skate), tennis, pickleball, knitting (yes, a fuckton of yarn), sewing and the 10 bins of fabric, weaving, cooking and kitchen gadgets, photography and videography equipment - and we have  9 and 12 year olds who don't want to get rid of things. Oh my fuck - the art supplies.  We have multiple businesses that need space and everything that goes with them. A great collection of mid-century furniture that needs to be cut by half - a bunch of vintage Eames and Le Corbusier.  And I'm old enough to still have a few hundred vinyl records and about 900 CDs, but only listen to streaming.  I'm ready to get rid of shit without the "class", but my wife needs motivation and accountability. This 12 week is that step.

My ebay account is going to be lit. 

IpathCats

« Reply #705 on: January 19, 2023, 01:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

For real?

Are you guys hoarders?
[close]

We live in a reasonably sized house with a good amount of storage, but it's full.  Everyone has multiple hobbies that come with gear - skateboarding, biking (road, mountain and cyclocross), skiing (downhill, xc and skate), tennis, pickleball, knitting (yes, a fuckton of yarn), sewing and the 10 bins of fabric, weaving, cooking and kitchen gadgets, photography and videography equipment - and we have  9 and 12 year olds who don't want to get rid of things. Oh my fuck - the art supplies.  We have multiple businesses that need space and everything that goes with them. A great collection of mid-century furniture that needs to be cut by half - a bunch of vintage Eames and Le Corbusier.  And I'm old enough to still have a few hundred vinyl records and about 900 CDs, but only listen to streaming.  I'm ready to get rid of shit without the "class", but my wife needs motivation and accountability. This 12 week is that step.

My ebay account is going to be lit.

Yea, hobbies and businesses will def have you keeping a lot of crap around.

Good luck man, its gonna feel so good to get all that shit out.

I purge like 1-2 times a year and it always feels amazing, and I have nowhere near the amount that you have.

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #706 on: January 19, 2023, 01:32:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

• Grade 8 Kingpin
[close]

Thanks.

[close]

[close]

omg I feel like such a dork defending myself to you dickheads. I tried searching. go type in "stage 4" in the search and see for yourself the prompt that says "each word must be at least two characters long" so I got no results searching. clicked a few pages back to see if anyone was was talking about them and decided im not reading all this shit. I tried asking you dickheads and got the dickhead "theres a search bar in the corner" response. I should have just asked my friend at the shop first because he sent me that info right away. I was hoping to spark a discussion and just wanted know what you dickheads think of the new trucks and whats so special about them because i dont quite understand the appeal of a reissue truck or how they perform different from stage 11.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #707 on: January 19, 2023, 03:46:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

• Grade 8 Kingpin
[close]

Thanks.

[close]

[close]

[close]
omg I feel like such a dork defending myself to you dickheads. I tried searching. go type in "stage 4" in the search and see for yourself the prompt that says "each word must be at least two characters long" so I got no results searching. clicked a few pages back to see if anyone was was talking about them and decided im not reading all this shit. I tried asking you dickheads and got the dickhead "theres a search bar in the corner" response. I should have just asked my friend at the shop first because he sent me that info right away. I was hoping to spark a discussion and just wanted know what you dickheads think of the new trucks and whats so special about them because i dont quite understand the appeal of a reissue truck or how they perform different from stage 11.

I honestly don’t get it either. it seems like a weird stage to bring back, even though it’s obvious it’s a way to show ace they had the design first or whatever.

I’ve never heard anyone say they wish that stage 4 from 1981?Would come back. Lmao. always hear 7 and 8 being in high demand for a remake though.

but I’m still gonna waste money and buy them in 8.0” when they come out. and then waste more money when they come out with the one that’s hollow and made of whatever whatever. lmao
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #708 on: January 19, 2023, 03:48:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

• Grade 8 Kingpin
[close]

Thanks.

[close]

[close]

[close]

...what you think of the new trucks and whats so special about them because i dont quite understand the appeal of a reissue truck or how they perform different from stage 11.

The joys of people talking online about skateboards, combined with a solid dose of sarcasm, irony and "old guy bitterness" which I definitely have, so I guess I go easy on here compared to how scathing I can be in person, but after all that, I must say that I am thankful for you putting up the information, as no one had really seen or heard anything like that before, including some shop guys like me, but I don't get out much any more either, so to speak.

I guess people could laugh it off and carry on, or be butthurt and sulk - both of which I have definitely seen from any number of people on here, but also sometimes just text cannot convey anything other than the words people read in their own head, so who knows how someone types or how someone else interprets what is being said.

Some days I get on here, read what is going on and close the browser without typing a single reply, but other times I seem like I just can't stop and probably say way too much, like this reply.  Either way, I find that this is a good place for me to come and share stuff, whatever the thing may be, as well as get info from others that I find interesting.

As to how these trucks could or would perform, I have never ridden anything older than Stage 5 (that I can recall) but I have older and newer 215s and an assortment of Ace trucks, so I can imagine that they would perform in a similar way to those, even though I personally am quite happy with the standard Stage 11 trucks, more than any other older stages or frankenstein versions of whatever else I have set up just to see what works and what doesn't over the years.

Of course, if someone were to offer me a set, I would not hesitate to try them and see what all the fuss is about, but I wouldn't go seeking them out to try to be "the first guy on the block" to get a set, if that makes sense.

As I had said before, the evolution of skateboard parts, from humble beginnings to technological wonders, is an interesting journey, but I am happy finding something that works for me, that is readily available and that doesn't need a whole lot of struggles just to make it work how I need it to, hence the current Stage 11 are just great and do everything I need them to right from the first session to the last.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #709 on: January 19, 2023, 05:08:47 PM »
I know they say the new trucks are not compatible, but I have a toolbox full of Indys, all sizes and current varieties. Its been raining for weeks, so I did some cross-testing and here’s what I think I’ve found out:

Standard Stage XI Baseplate vs. 215/Stage IV Baseplate

They look very similar. It’s difficult to tell by eye if it’s the height or kingpin angle, or both, or neither that’s different. I couldn’t figure it out with the limited measuring devices I had on hand. The kingpins on the 215 baseplates are longer for sure. Turns out that’s the easy way to tell.

I found this out because I accidentally cross-mounted a 169 hanger on the 215 baseplate and vice versa. Interestingly, I was able to tighten the nut even though the larger 215 bushings were on a shorter kingpin. Have to imagine that combo would have been much tighter than stock, but it got me thinking to test all this stuff a little.

215/Stage IV Compatibility w/ Standard Stage XI IKP Baseplate

I put these particular 215s on a cruiser last summer and out of curiosity I had used the inverted kingpin baseplate. They worked great, so I had the base knowledge that the geometry between Stage XI and Stage IV is close enough for them to work based on that test.

215/Stage IV Compatibility w/ Standard Stage XI Baseplate

After realizing I put the 215s on the wrong baseplate today, I switched out the taller Stage IV bushings for the stock Stage XI bushings, but still on the Standard Stage XI baseplate. This combination seems to mount together just fine, and the kingpin clearance is much better.

I also compared the 215 bushings to the regular ones to see how much this might fuck with the geometry, but I found most of the size difference is in the top cone bushing, so I don’t think swapping in a Stage XI barrel changes the geometry a huge amount. Alternatively, only swapping in a Stage XI top bushing could be an option if you want to try Stage IV hangers on Stage XI baseplates.

Hope this helps, and I will follow up with some good photos to illustrate the results of these rainy day tests.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #710 on: January 19, 2023, 05:24:37 PM »
All I wanna know is if bones mediums will work in the stage IV remake

IpathCats

« Reply #711 on: January 20, 2023, 05:26:37 AM »

You're  fine man, just understand how the timing of your posts would look weird from everyone elses point of view. Dont sweat it

All I wanna know is if bones mediums will work in the stage IV remake

Yea for like a month until they deform.

IpathCats

« Reply #712 on: January 21, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »
Saw frank shaw was skating the new indys on his IG so I DM'd him like a man and he said he was liking them so far. He said the turn felt "more responsive" so more ace-like like people have been saying/guessing.

I asked about weight too and he said he wasn't sure if there was much of a weight difference between them and standards. So the jury is still out on that.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #713 on: January 21, 2023, 09:38:11 PM »
:-X
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I did it again..
Second time my 144 Ti axle breaks..
First time they sent me a new set.
This is one of them.. Fuck Titanium.. 360 flip on flat.

Never again.
[close]

Damn dude! That sucks

Hope they get you sorted out.
[close]

Similar thing happened to a friend recently. He had some fresh Indy TI's. Wouldn't shut up about them in fact. How light they were. I think they were 159's. He was struggling with a trick in a ditch. He threw his board down in a rage and the axle broke, same spot as yours. We started calling it a "TI-tantrum"
[close]

🤣🤣🤣🤣 love that.

Yes! That's a sick nickname
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

IpathCats

« Reply #714 on: January 23, 2023, 05:48:14 AM »
I cleaned my bearings this weekend and when i took my wheels off i noticed  a couple ends of my axels had pieces chipped off. Small pieces, and I could still get the nut back on, but it kinda reminded me of the break mentioned above.

Maybe something is going on at the manufacturer that is making these Ti axels more brittle?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #715 on: January 23, 2023, 06:15:55 AM »
I cleaned my bearings this weekend and when i took my wheels off i noticed  a couple ends of my axels had pieces chipped off. Small pieces, and I could still get the nut back on, but it kinda reminded me of the break mentioned above.

Maybe something is going on at the manufacturer that is making these Ti axels more brittle?

You have Ti axles? I’d stop skating those immediately and contact Indy about a warranty replacement.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #716 on: January 23, 2023, 06:19:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You have Ti axles? I’d stop skating those immediately and contact Indy about a warranty replacement.

Think so? I cant imagine they would send replacements for slightly chipped axel tips. Im talking like one thread was chipped off 1/4 - 1/2 of the way around the axel. I think it happened on two tips? maybe three.

But it was a clear break/chip. not likeit got smashed down.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #717 on: January 23, 2023, 06:21:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Think so? I cant imagine they would send replacements for slightly chipped axel tips. Im talking like one thread was chipped off 1/4 - 1/2 of the way around the axel.

Oh, you didn’t say they were chipped at the tip. I thought your were saying they were chipped where the bearings sit, the sort of damage you’d see when you removed your wheels. I wouldn’t fuck with that for one second, but yeah, damage to the axle tips is normal. Probably fine.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #718 on: January 23, 2023, 06:23:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Think so? I cant imagine they would send replacements for slightly chipped axel tips. Im talking like one thread was chipped off 1/4 - 1/2 of the way around the axel.

[close]

Oh, I missed where you said they were chipped at the tip. I thought your were saying they were chipped where the bearings sit. I wouldn’t fuck with that for one second, but yeah, damage to the axle tips is normal. Never mind then.

Oh yea, chipped around where the bearings sit is def sketchy haha.

And damage on the ends is def normal, but I've never seen them chip like this before. Ill take a pic when i get home if i remember.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #719 on: January 23, 2023, 01:51:34 PM »
Is it a thing that you can feel more ground vibration on forged plates versus cast? I ride 99 f4 Classics.