Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118565 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 23, 2023, 02:44:29 PM »
Is it a thing that you can feel more ground vibration on forged plates versus cast? I ride 99 f4 Classics.

Unsure about more vibration, but the feel is for sure different; forged have a tinny feeling compared to cast to me.

IpathCats

« Reply #721 on: January 24, 2023, 05:58:20 AM »
Is it a thing that you can feel more ground vibration on forged plates versus cast? I ride 99 f4 Classics.

You notice the difference in feel mostly on nose/tail slides. Forged plates catch easier, but they also feel like they slide faster when they dont catch. Very small difference though.

Aside from the height/weight difference, its more of a sound thing when riding. just resonates differently, kinda like how risers affect the sound/feel but in the opposite direction.

High level madness shit right here, really not that noticeable unless you're a tweaker, but since you're in shoes and gear, you probably are.

spacial_profiling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -86
« Reply #722 on: January 24, 2023, 06:07:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You notice the difference in feel mostly on nose/tail slides. Forged plates catch easier, but they also feel like they slide faster when they dont catch. Very small difference though.

Aside from the height/weight difference, its more of a sound thing when riding. just resonates differently, kinda like how risers affect the sound/feel but in the opposite direction.

High level madness shit right here, really not that noticeable unless you're a tweaker, but since you're in shoes and gear, you probably are.

I always run my forged with conical fulls 54-55, I wonder if that helps dampen the sound? And I do that to compensate for the weight/height with my cast I do with classics 52-54.

IpathCats

« Reply #723 on: January 24, 2023, 06:19:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always run my forged with conical fulls 54-55, I wonder if that helps dampen the sound? And I do that to compensate for the weight/height with my cast I do with classics 52-54.

Couldnt tell ya, im sure it has some effect, however minute.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #724 on: January 24, 2023, 06:57:45 AM »
I notice less fro the forged plates and more the hollow axle and kingpin. Think about it a tube resonates more than a solid rod. It probably exaggerates the difference. I also never picked up on it until I came on Slap and can't really hear it on other's boards.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #725 on: January 24, 2023, 07:10:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But why?
Do you prefer a specific height? Like your setups is right around 80-81 mm plus the thickness of your boards.

Indy specifies up to 54 on forged and 56 on cast.
I’d run forgeds with smaller wheels to avoid wheelbite and have a lower overall setup, and in casts i use slightly bigger wheels.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #726 on: January 24, 2023, 08:36:50 AM »
I figure the reduction in height/weight with forged is evened out with the bigger wheels, when compared to standard height/weight with classics. I often run multiple setups and may change mid-sesh or day-to-day. I feel like doing it this way gives me more consistency while also ticking the boxes of madnesses when I skate. Heavy trucks + light wheels; light trucks + heavy wheels. Can't imagine the headache I'd give myself trying to do the forged with 52mm classic and how off that weight would feel compared to everything else I skate. When I set my boards on the ground next to each other they all sit about the same height, and that matters most to me as far as their interchangeability. I assume it helps regulate the pop time/feel as well. And for what it's worth, I run pretty loose and don't have much of an issue with wheelbite on the forged. It gives my board wheel wells, but rarely stops me.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #727 on: January 24, 2023, 09:04:39 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. I definitely feel a difference in slide between the plates and obviously pop - and I too blame slap for being able to notice lol. I moved over some 99 f4 classic 55s that were about 52 to the forged trucks and set up a new set of 55s on my standards, both hollows. After a street session my feet were wrecked from the vibration on my forged trucks - or maybe the new 55s just feel like monster truck tires comparatively.

My manuals were significantly better on forged so I think I will keep them setup for that, but my pop is so accustomed to standards that I didn't feel like myself.

Anyway that's my little forged/cast drama I made up for myself. Thanks for listening.

IpathCats

« Reply #728 on: January 24, 2023, 09:09:58 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. I definitely feel a difference in slide between the plates and obviously pop - and I too blame slap for being able to notice lol. I moved over some 99 f4 classic 55s that were about 52 to the forged trucks and set up a new set of 55s on my standards, both hollows. After a street session my feet were wrecked from the vibration on my forged trucks - or maybe the new 55s just feel like monster truck tires comparatively.

My manuals were significantly better on forged so I think I will keep them setup for that, but my pop is so accustomed to standards that I didn't feel like myself.

Anyway that's my little forged/cast drama I made up for myself. Thanks for listening.

I have the opposite experience, manuals work much better on cast for me.

I love indys, they work the best all around for me but man, the manual point on ventures is insane. Too bad they dont turn/grind lol.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #729 on: January 24, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »
I’m sure it’s in there somewhere,but Ben D mentioned how he prefers solid axels for flip tricks, hollows didn’t roll over as well.  Ideally he’d like a forged base/solid hanger.  The weight of the hanger help keep the momentum of the board rolling over….I equate it to swing weight on a golf club….more power…although….it’s kinda different…

To summarize…..koo…koo…..

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #730 on: January 25, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
Does anyone have any good experiences with ace medium bushings in indys? (not the old ones that came with the black label, the newer ace bushings with the cool yellow label that says compatible with AF1/classics)

Im stuck with a lot of DLX and indy bushings laying around and the combinations wont work simply cuz they all suck ass compared to whats out there. Drawn to ace because a friend told me they worked for him and they dont freeze in cold temperatures. Can anyone share their experience with these bushings and how it made indys feel?

for reference im 175lb so i definitely hate stock tightness on say, ventures and indys, but not ace or thunder. Then again the last time i skated ace was the classics era and i remember the old ace bushings were a nightmare to break in (than again, ive heard the new bushings mush out or melt or something)

I like loos-ish trucks, but i dont want squirrely instability which is what ill get if i start shaving my current bushings down.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #731 on: January 25, 2023, 11:27:33 AM »
ACE Mediums are an excellent choice for anything that comes with a barrel bushing. I run ace regs bottom and ace low tops in my indys and Ventures (perfect combo).

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #732 on: January 25, 2023, 11:29:21 AM »
ACE Mediums are an excellent choice for anything that comes with a barrel bushing.

heheh concise and convincing, purchasing now.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #733 on: January 25, 2023, 11:35:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have the opposite experience, manuals work much better on cast for me.

I love indys, they work the best all around for me but man, the manual point on ventures is insane. Too bad they dont turn/grind lol.

I'm the opposite I fucking haaaate the Venture manual point.

IpathCats

« Reply #734 on: January 25, 2023, 12:25:01 PM »
Expand Quote
ACE Mediums are an excellent choice for anything that comes with a barrel bushing.
[close]

heheh concise and convincing, purchasing now.

Ace bushings are great if the duro is what you're looking for.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #735 on: January 25, 2023, 12:50:44 PM »
I figure the reduction in height/weight with forged is evened out with the bigger wheels, when compared to standard height/weight with classics. I often run multiple setups and may change mid-sesh or day-to-day. I feel like doing it this way gives me more consistency while also ticking the boxes of madnesses when I skate. Heavy trucks + light wheels; light trucks + heavy wheels. Can't imagine the headache I'd give myself trying to do the forged with 52mm classic and how off that weight would feel compared to everything else I skate. When I set my boards on the ground next to each other they all sit about the same height, and that matters most to me as far as their interchangeability. I assume it helps regulate the pop time/feel as well. And for what it's worth, I run pretty loose and don't have much of an issue with wheelbite on the forged. It gives my board wheel wells, but rarely stops me.

Well now that you’ve explained it, it makes perfect sense.
Currently I’m running my Bones 54 STF99a on cast/hollow 169, cause my spit F4 57mm radials are too slippery skating the indoors at around the freezing point.

Also, just wanted to let it out that Bones bushings doesn’t freeze up in the cold. For Indy’s keep the bottom washer on, unless you want blown out pivot cups.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #736 on: January 25, 2023, 05:59:03 PM »
Does anyone have any good experiences with ace medium bushings in indys? (not the old ones that came with the black label, the newer ace bushings with the cool yellow label that says compatible with AF1/classics)

Im stuck with a lot of DLX and indy bushings laying around and the combinations wont work simply cuz they all suck ass compared to whats out there. Drawn to ace because a friend told me they worked for him and they dont freeze in cold temperatures. Can anyone share their experience with these bushings and how it made indys feel?

for reference im 175lb so i definitely hate stock tightness on say, ventures and indys, but not ace or thunder. Then again the last time i skated ace was the classics era and i remember the old ace bushings were a nightmare to break in (than again, ive heard the new bushings mush out or melt or something)

I like loos-ish trucks, but i dont want squirrely instability which is what ill get if i start shaving my current bushings down.

I use the Ace lows in standard Indy’s. I just recently got a set of the new ones with the AF1 packaging. The lows are pretty close in size to the stock Indy bushings, so no reason to buy a set of lows and highs. Compared to stock Indy bushings, the Ace low bottom is 0.5mm shorter and the top is 1mm shorter, so the difference is minimal.

I weigh 180, so pretty close to you. Ace are definitely one of the more cold resistant bushings out there. They will make your Indy’s turn almost as good as Aces.

Side note to add to the madness, the Independent blue conical 92a bushings will also get you close to the Ace turn

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #737 on: January 25, 2023, 08:26:06 PM »
mayb bushing selections can also be the cause of the vibrations. just like when choosing wheel durometer.

IpathCats

« Reply #738 on: January 26, 2023, 05:25:00 AM »
Anyone know what shops are for sure getting the stage 4's on go skate day? Or is that just total rumor BS?

mayb bushing selections can also be the cause of the vibrations. just like when choosing wheel durometer.

Everything has SOME effect on it. even down to your hardware. It's just HOW MUCH it affects it is the question.

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #739 on: January 26, 2023, 07:22:22 AM »
Anyone know what shops are for sure getting the stage 4's on go skate day? Or is that just total rumor BS?

Not a rumor. I own a shop. I’ll be bummed if NHS told us we were the only ones in our area getting the Stage 4’s, and then everyone got them.

Not sure where you’re from, but I would check in with your local shops and see who is getting them.

IpathCats

« Reply #740 on: January 26, 2023, 07:36:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not a rumor. I own a shop. I’ll be bummed if NHS told us we were the only ones in our area getting the Stage 4’s, and then everyone got them.

Not sure where you’re from, but I would check in with your local shops and see who is getting them.

East coast, i usually try to buy from shops out here first.

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #741 on: January 26, 2023, 09:16:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was told we couldn’t even put them on our own website. They’re really pushing for people to go in to shops to get these. You’re best bet is a local shop

IpathCats

« Reply #742 on: January 26, 2023, 09:25:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was told we couldn’t even put them on our own website. They’re really pushing for people to go in to shops to get these. You’re best bet is a local shop

Damn! That's kinda tight. Inconvenient, but kinda rad at the same time. Cool if true. NHS has been WAY behind DLX in terms of putting shops first.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #743 on: January 26, 2023, 09:30:49 AM »
I get totally sucked into this type of shit. I don't need new trucks and I don't really care that much about Stage 4 rereleases but I'm sure I will be cycling by one of my three local shops on  Skate Shop day, walk on in and inevitably walk  out with a pair of these bartasrd trucks....

Dropping the soap in front of NHS right now...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #744 on: January 26, 2023, 09:36:47 AM »
I still have Aces I have to skate through!

IpathCats

« Reply #745 on: January 26, 2023, 09:42:40 AM »
I get totally sucked into this type of shit. I don't need new trucks and I don't really care that much about Stage 4 rereleases but I'm sure I will be cycling by one of my three local shops on  Skate Shop day, walk on in and inevitably walk  out with a pair of these bartasrd trucks....

Dropping the soap in front of NHS right now...

A man in the screaming hand mascot suit unzips his pants....

I still have Aces I have to skate through!

I have AF1's on my bigger cruiser and ACE classics on my zip zinger. I really want to try indy 109's on the zip zinger and these new stage 4's on the bigger cruiser, but it just feels like SUCH a waste lol idk if i'll be able to make myself pull the trigger on them since i doubt the difference will be very drastic.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #746 on: January 26, 2023, 10:24:42 AM »

I'm running stock orange on the forged and aftermarket orange (harder of the two)on the cast. I was only testing the difference to see if I can actually tell a difference in height - surprised myself that I actually could, but more surprised that it negatively affected my pop and felt funny rolling around too. I thought a quicker pop would help my old legs get up to stuff more easily, but mostly I just lost some of my pop. So now all I wanna do is curl up with my standards and never let them go.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #747 on: January 27, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »
Bucky testing the carbon fibre baseplates

https://youtu.be/MYT3EFHOu24

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #748 on: January 27, 2023, 12:23:11 PM »
Took Indy baseplate molds and just made em carbon fiber, that's pretty rad. Notice the buddy made them inverted as well, wonder if they have the shaft nut design? These seem like a better and stronger alternative to forged or mag plates.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #749 on: January 27, 2023, 10:58:31 PM »
13:30

My dude, let it go. shave that shit off, that ain’t it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:17:12 AM by Xen »