Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 136651 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #930 on: February 17, 2023, 04:38:06 PM »
What's it looking like under the baseplate? Will it hold a nut in there for inverted use or is it wider like stage 11's and require JB Weld?

Expand Quote
Maybe im biased becuase i've spent more time on indys overall (still ride/love aces on my cruisers) but i think the stage 4s look better than aces now that ive looked at them more and seen them from every angle.

can someone post some pics of the bottom of the baseplate for our IKP-curious friend @logjammin over here?
[close]

Skip to 1:38 on the Nuzzi video and he's holding it with the underside of the baseplate showing.

From that video with the red cover shot on the last page, as SBR said, about 1:38 it is exactly the same as current stage trucks in terms of how the baseplate holds the kingpin, so you would have to do the same thing with JB weld or other fix to convert these trucks.

Edit:

Thought it was easier to just take a screen shot of it.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 04:45:19 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 902
« Reply #931 on: February 17, 2023, 05:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Next the Stage 4s bring the wheelbase in, even further than Ace. I haven't done the measurements but it looks pretty substantial.
[close]

That's interesting to hear. I lined the sample deck I set my 166 4's on up next to my old Heated Wheel with 66 AF1's (both boards have a 14.25" wb) and the axle to axle was pretty much identical. I also didn't notice that much of a weight gain over the AF1 hollows, but I also think that's because somehow the sample deck feels lighter because it has less of a taper and the weight is distributed a bit more evenly than the Heated Wheel board is (both boards are 9.25"x32" and weigh in at 3 lbs 3.2 oz). UPS came yesterday just in time for it to start raining, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to give opinions on how they skate.

I weighed them on a digital scale. The 151s are heavier than 159 Stage 11s and Ace 60s. I'll double check wheelbase but I already did the side by side comparison on decks with the same wheelbase Ace AF1 60s vs Stage 4 151s and even if the trucks weren't perfectly straight the axles sat further in on the Indys on both sides.

I'm just an old dude who needs glasses though, so if someone really cares, bust out the measuring tape and take an average  measuremeant of the distance between both sides of the axle. They certainly 'feel' like a shorter wheelbase when you turn. I have never felt a truck feel so responsive... maybe even too responsive...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #932 on: February 17, 2023, 05:58:53 PM »
OK after some quick measurements and averages the Stage 4 151s shrink the wheelbase by about 2 3/4" while  the AF1s shrink the  wheelbase by about 2 7/8"

I'd say the wheelbase is about an 1/8" shorter on the stage 4s. It actually looked like a bigger difference before I busted out the tape.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #933 on: February 17, 2023, 06:39:21 PM »
OK after some quick measurements and averages the Stage 4 151s shrink the wheelbase by about 2 3/4" while  the AF1s shrink the  wheelbase by about 2 7/8"

I'd say the wheelbase is about an 1/8" shorter on the stage 4s. It actually looked like a bigger difference before I busted out the tape.

Sounds really similar to Ace classics, which if I'm not mistaken are based off Indy stage 3? Anyone do a comparison with the stage 4s and Ace classics? I started learning to skate transition recently and love how Aces feel, but mine are on their last legs. Wondering if it's worth trying something new or sticking to what works.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #934 on: February 17, 2023, 07:02:30 PM »

That's really close to what I measured my Stage 6 trucks to a couple years ago.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #935 on: February 17, 2023, 08:42:14 PM »
Sorry to be confusing the Stage 4s shrink the wheelbase more than AF1s by about an 1/8" is what I meant to say. I suck and have probably made mistakes so don't count on me.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #936 on: February 17, 2023, 09:15:01 PM »
Just set mine up. Objectively speaking, these are the carviest feeling trucks I’ve ever ridden short of Caliber IIIs.

logjammin

• Rep: 366
« Reply #937 on: February 18, 2023, 06:47:21 AM »
Alright...if these are carvier than Ace's then god damnit I'm gonna have to go get them >:(

IpathCats

« Reply #938 on: February 18, 2023, 09:17:11 AM »
I wonder how many people will jump ship from ace?

Skaters purely seeking the surf.

Logos, politics, brands aside.

Soul skaters.

Side note, happy skate shop day everyone. Go spend some money at your nearest (skater owned) shop.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1144
« Reply #939 on: February 18, 2023, 09:35:58 AM »

Soul skaters.

Side note, happy skate shop day everyone. Go spend some money at your nearest (skater owned) shop.

The review that these have more turning than ace, let me know that the 4s are not for me.

manysnakes

« Reply #940 on: February 18, 2023, 09:45:51 AM »

Soul skaters.

My prediction: There will be some initial interest, which will seem exaggerated to anyone who reads Slap since people here consume gear at several times the rate of the average skater, and then demand will cool and it'll just be another truck in the lineup.

I've said a zillion times but the appeal of Ace isn't just the trucks, it's the fact that it's not Independent. It's a different brand, sponsoring different skaters and with different marketing.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #941 on: February 18, 2023, 10:19:02 AM »

Soul skaters.

Crusing the insta coimments it's 'reissue this', 'reissue that' - SC/Powell gonna sell some decks.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #942 on: February 18, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »

got these 136’s not even 2 hours ago. I set them up on my board, but haven’t had the chance to skate yet. when I stood on it though, they felt like a slightly more stable ace. I think I’m gonna like these a lot. I also forgot how much I prefer solid kingpins over hollow ones once I got these.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: February 18, 2023, 10:38:41 AM »
Just had a quick flat ground slappy session on the Stage 4s. Bushings firmed up real quick. Grind is great (I only skated about 45mins and I already have a bit of a groove... so perhaps not going to be any more durable than existing trucks) Pop feel feels like Ace Classics, maybe even a bit better. Might have slipped an axle already. But the major selling point is the turn. Pretty magic.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 10:47:58 AM by Frank and Fred »

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #944 on: February 18, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »
Picked up two sets of the ACE STAGE 4S.

TBH they look pretty great but I can't skate them with this sprained ankle. So mostly this was done as a power move.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #945 on: February 18, 2023, 11:47:57 AM »

got these 136’s not even 2 hours ago. I set them up on my board, but haven’t had the chance to skate yet. when I stood on it though, they felt like a slightly more stable ace. I think I’m gonna like these a lot. I also forgot how much I prefer solid kingpins over hollow ones once I got these.

Prefer them why?

Just standing on them felt better than hollow pins?

Aesthetics?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #946 on: February 18, 2023, 12:23:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Prefer them why?

Just standing on them felt better than hollow pins?

Aesthetics?

moreso the durability. never have I stripped solid kingpins. but if I’m not careful, I could strip and set of hollow kingpins on a brand new set of trucks. idk what it is, I think it might be the fact that solid pins come to a slight taper at the top of the kingpin, whereas hollow pins seem like they keep the same shape all the way through. I could also just be insane though. lmao.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #947 on: February 18, 2023, 12:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Soul skaters.

[close]

My prediction: There will be some initial interest, which will seem exaggerated to anyone who reads Slap since people here consume gear at several times the rate of the average skater, and then demand will cool and it'll just be another truck in the lineup.

I've said a zillion times but the appeal of Ace isn't just the trucks, it's the fact that it's not Independent. It's a different brand, sponsoring different skaters and with different marketing.

I feel pretty much the same way. I’ve been strictly Aces for years now but these initial experiences sure tempt me a lot even though I was “fuck Independent, never again” after the Jason Jesse debacle. I also have enough Aces to last me years so I don’t need new trucks. But still I’m intrigued. I wonder if the wheelbite is as predictable as it is with Aces. That was my main gripe with Indys. It always came as a bit of a surprise to me and then I ate shit. With Aces I know when it’s coming and know when to bail safely before I eat shit due to wheelbite. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #948 on: February 18, 2023, 03:23:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Soul skaters.

[close]

[close]

I feel pretty much the same way. I’ve been strictly Aces for years now but these initial experiences sure tempt me a lot even though I was “fuck Independent, never again” after the Jason Jesse debacle. I also have enough Aces to last me years so I don’t need new trucks. But still I’m intrigued. I wonder if the wheelbite is as predictable as it is with Aces. That was my main gripe with Indys. It always came as a bit of a surprise to me and then I ate shit. With Aces I know when it’s coming and know when to bail safely before I eat shit due to wheelbite. 

You sure you weren't on Thunders? ;P

IpathCats

« Reply #949 on: February 18, 2023, 03:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Soul skaters.

[close]

I don't think this is AS big of a factor as you believe. It's definitely a factor, don't get me wrong, but it would be a pretty hard thing to quantify at the end of the day.

I'm more inclined to believe that most people ride what works best for them.

IpathCats

« Reply #950 on: February 18, 2023, 03:36:05 PM »
Picked up two sets of the ACE STAGE 4S.

TBH they look pretty great but I can't skate them with this sprained ankle. So mostly this was done as a power move.

DOMINANCE has been asserted.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #951 on: February 18, 2023, 04:00:04 PM »
So I’m confused, is Ace ripping off Indy?
Or is Indy ripping off Ace at this point?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1144
« Reply #952 on: February 18, 2023, 04:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Soul skaters.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thunders have definitely just carcass tossed me…I can feel so confident and comfortable and then be just be smoked on the ground doing that hurt laugh.
I’ll keep coming back for the pop tho.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #953 on: February 18, 2023, 05:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Soul skaters.

[close]

[close]

I don't think this is AS big of a factor as you believe. It's definitely a factor, don't get me wrong, but it would be a pretty hard thing to quantify at the end of the day.

I'm more inclined to believe that most people ride what works best for them.

The average skater has multiple blown out bearings + cracked bushings with absolutely zero idea the trucks even make a difference.

Indy is shook about ACE throwing everything at the wall.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #954 on: February 18, 2023, 06:19:21 PM »

How do you judge stability if the board isn't moving?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: February 18, 2023, 06:45:05 PM »
Went out again for a second stealthy curb/ flat ground session on the 151s and the bushings are now too firm haha. We shall see how it goes as the trucks break in properly.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #956 on: February 18, 2023, 10:25:34 PM »
I was thinking about how the Stage IV reissues came to be. Based on stuff we've heard hear over the years, it goes something like this; Indy 215s have always been stage IV and were poured at Emerico since the beginning. Indy wants to transfer manufacture to China but the product is so old that the paper work is lost so all that exists are the molds. The molds are unavailable either because they break or because fuck you pay me so they have to reverse engineer from an existing set of 215s. 215s go rare for awhile as they figure that out. Once they come back into production, NHS has figured out the math on manufacturing stage IVs again and can scale that to any size they might wanna put out.
unreadable trap logo

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #957 on: February 18, 2023, 10:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Soul skaters.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Stage 11 Indys. At the height of my madness I did get Thunders also. 149 titaniums. The bushings on those were so hard I couldn’t get them to turn worth shit. No idea what was up with them. Can’t remember wheelbite being an issue. Got rid of them quite fast. Friends’ Thunders have always felt more twitchy and risky and fun.

But yeah, I seem to “understand” Aces better than any other trucks I’ve tried. Would be interested in knowing if the Indy Stage 4s would be similar but with an even deeper turn.  :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: February 18, 2023, 10:47:39 PM »
Does anyone have measurements of the stage 4 bushings? Has Indy released any info on aftermarket bushings for the stage 4s? Would Ace bushings work?

Someone needs to nerd out properly on these and post all the measurements for us other nerds to go over. The madness sure seems to be creeping in strongly for me.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #959 on: February 19, 2023, 02:22:22 AM »
Does anyone have measurements of the stage 4 bushings? Has Indy released any info on aftermarket bushings for the stage 4s? Would Ace bushings work?

Someone needs to nerd out properly on these and post all the measurements for us other nerds to go over. The madness sure seems to be creeping in strongly for me.
I can't find a hard post anywhere on Indy's socials about the different bushings. All the ad copy mentions "original cushions for superior stability" but no listings for them aftermarket duros. No shops that have the trucks up have the listings for the bushings that I have seen. My guess is they will go live when the trucks go on sale in June or slowly trickle into shops in the meantime. It doesn't look like they actually exist yet.
unreadable trap logo