Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 124603 times)

HumbleGenius and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1380 on: May 06, 2023, 07:15:57 AM »
Blue 243 is what you want

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1381 on: May 06, 2023, 09:09:07 AM »
Yeah, the way the colors break down with Loctite is generally as follows:

Red - Semi-Permanent, for “setting and forgetting”. Can be adjusted with hand tools, but this breaks the bond and will need to be cleaned and reapplied.

Blue - For bolts which see regular adjustment, moving the threads will not permanently break the bond. Ideal for skateboard trucks

Green - Void filler, functionally permanent. Often requires a heat gun or other external force to break free. Difficult to clean up after it solidifies
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1382 on: May 06, 2023, 09:45:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I was always really lame about swapping bushings cuz of the idea that Indy's stock are like, just bolt on and then work. But when they moved to China I swear the bushings got softer or my preferences changed. I recently have been using blues and they're great. I still get a super deep turn but it doesn't push into bite as easily.
[close]

@LebowskisRug not trying to add to any bushing swap madness but I've found that the Indy 90D orange aftermarkets are actually harder than the new standard issue ones for some reason.

It's been this way for at least the last decade in my experience. I only skate the aftermarkets orange bushings, they're perfect and don't require breaking in.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #1383 on: May 06, 2023, 01:05:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was always really lame about swapping bushings cuz of the idea that Indy's stock are like, just bolt on and then work. But when they moved to China I swear the bushings got softer or my preferences changed. I recently have been using blues and they're great. I still get a super deep turn but it doesn't push into bite as easily.
[close]

@LebowskisRug not trying to add to any bushing swap madness but I've found that the Indy 90D orange aftermarkets are actually harder than the new standard issue ones for some reason.
[close]

It's been this way for at least the last decade in my experience. I only skate the aftermarkets orange bushings, they're perfect and don't require breaking in.

the latest drops of indy's have much better stock bushings ime.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1384 on: May 06, 2023, 03:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Much better than they used to be, but no way are they as hard as the aftermarket orange.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1385 on: May 06, 2023, 05:00:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Much better than they used to be, but no way are they as hard as the aftermarket orange.

Yes, agreed.

It is interesting to note, as the average user has loosened off the trucks over the past decade or two, stock bushings have become softer, even if the marketing blurb says they are still the same durometer.

The one other thing to note with stock bushings is that they firm up considerably from when first used, whereas the aftermarket bushings don't seem to firm up quite as much as stock bushings do in this case with Indy brand product.

It is only more as the bushings break, crack or crumble that the trucks become looser with age, but the aftermarket bushings seem to hold up better than the stock bushings too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1386 on: May 06, 2023, 06:20:59 PM »
Durometer is just sticking a needle in something and while it's one measure, it doesn't really account for how specific urethane responds when compressed (for bushings) or slide (for wheels)

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #1387 on: May 08, 2023, 06:29:25 PM »
Anybody over their stage 4 166 and looking to move them along?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #1388 on: May 09, 2023, 05:18:18 PM »

Took a break from skating Indys for like nine months and finally busted out these beauties today.  Felt comfortable on them almost immediately and had a great session. Feels good to be back - until I inevitably get distracted by some other truck in the near future…

IpathCats

« Reply #1389 on: May 10, 2023, 04:39:06 AM »

Took a break from skating Indys for like nine months and finally busted out these beauties today.  Felt comfortable on them almost immediately and had a great session. Feels good to be back - until I inevitably get distracted by some other truck in the near future…

Welcome back.

I'm currently on a vacation with ace trucks.

I'm not sure how much longer that will last.

switchfakie

« Reply #1390 on: May 10, 2023, 06:27:43 PM »

Red - Semi-Permanent, for “setting and forgetting”. Can be adjusted with hand tools, but this breaks the bond and will need to be cleaned and reapplied.

Blue - For bolts which see regular adjustment, moving the threads will not permanently break the bond. Ideal for skateboard trucks

Green - Void filler, functionally permanent. Often requires a heat gun or other external force to break free. Difficult to clean up after it solidifies

is loctite green better than just regular superglue?

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1391 on: May 10, 2023, 08:40:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Welcome back.

Thank you sir. 

We talking AF1’s or Classics?

IpathCats

« Reply #1392 on: May 11, 2023, 05:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Welcome back.

[close]

Thank you sir. 

AF1's

and after a lack luster session on them yesterday I setup a new deck with my indy 149's haha. Ti hanger, cast plate.

IpathCats

« Reply #1393 on: May 11, 2023, 05:29:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yes, loctite is specifically design to hold up against vibrations

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #1394 on: May 11, 2023, 06:50:26 AM »

I thought adjusting would break the bond with the blue but lately I’ve had to do it a couple times after overtightening initially before it set, and you’re right, everything still holds up. I also don’t even let it cure 24 hours before skating. Just overnight into the next day so about half the time, 12 hours. I think that’s plenty of time. I also read on some mechanic forums dudes will immediately use stuff after tightening it and not have issues. Something about after an hour it’s already pretty set since air is what cures it. If I take apart the trucks though, I definitely clean off the threads with rubbing alcohol, dry and reapply.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1395 on: May 11, 2023, 07:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apples and oranges. I know some people claim success with superglue, but I've never tried and and I don't know why I would when a tube of generic blue threadlocker is a few dollars at any hardware store. As for green, I would avoid it altogether. Once you set it up it is difficult to make any adjustments, and cleanup is a pain.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1396 on: May 11, 2023, 10:40:13 AM »
Second this ^. And even cleaning up/breaking red can suck.

IpathCats

« Reply #1397 on: May 11, 2023, 11:02:44 AM »
Second this ^. And even cleaning up/breaking red can suck.

I think i mentioned it in another thread, but i unknowingly (didnt understand the different strengths) used red on a switch i was mounting my campervan conversion.

I told my very mechanically inclined friend and he just looked at me all wide eyed like i really fucked up haha.

Not looking forward to the day i need to take that off lol.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1398 on: May 11, 2023, 12:48:31 PM »
I did it on my campervan on a bolt that was going into a Rivnut in a wall. The fucking Rivnut started spinning and pulling out of the wall. I ended up trying to remove the bolt and it broke in the nut and god that was the worst afternoon.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1399 on: May 11, 2023, 02:53:39 PM »
I did it on my campervan on a bolt that was going into a Rivnut in a wall. The fucking Rivnut started spinning and pulling out of the wall. I ended up trying to remove the bolt and it broke in the nut and god that was the worst afternoon.

hahaha I used green loctite on my van when attaching the 2" hitch on the rear, because I figured I wanted this to be as permanent as possible. I actually even prepped everything by chasing the female end and using a wire wheel to remove any rust or corrosion on the old bolts. I'm not eager to have my bumper, bike and bike rack come tumbling off somewhere on the highway.

IpathCats

« Reply #1400 on: May 11, 2023, 07:30:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahaha I used green loctite on my van when attaching the 2" hitch on the rear, because I figured I wanted this to be as permanent as possible. I actually even prepped everything by chasing the female end and using a wire wheel to remove any rust or corrosion on the old bolts. I'm not eager to have my bumper, bike and bike rack come tumbling off somewhere on the highway.

Probably a legitimate use for it.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1401 on: May 11, 2023, 07:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Welcome back.

[close]

Thank you sir. 

[close]

AF1's

and after a lack luster session on them yesterday I setup a new deck with my indy 149's haha. Ti hanger, cast plate.

Word - I enjoy the classics but wasn’t really feeling the AF1’s when I tried them.  Glad you’re back on Indys haha

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1402 on: May 12, 2023, 03:10:50 AM »
i really cant see a difference between classics and af1 when riding, i must be dumb :D

IpathCats

« Reply #1403 on: May 12, 2023, 04:33:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Welcome back.

[close]

Thank you sir. 

[close]

AF1's

[close]

Word - I enjoy the classics but wasn’t really feeling the AF1’s when I tried them.  Glad you’re back on Indys haha

We'll see, this new deck has short steep kicks. Already had to put the forged plates on the indys. Aces might work better, idk madness blah blah blah.

I nearly axled two sets of ace classics, I also bent two sets. After some time on the AF1s I think I prefer them to classics. I did not feel that way at first though. Had to run them way tighter than I thought, and use the hard bushings.

Still running 22 classics on my zip zinger.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1404 on: May 13, 2023, 05:23:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Apples and oranges. I know some people claim success with superglue, but I've never tried and and I don't know why I would when a tube of generic blue threadlocker is a few dollars at any hardware store. As for green, I would avoid it altogether. Once you set it up it is difficult to make any adjustments, and cleanup is a pain.

Some non-Loctite blue generic ass brand cost me 10 fucking bucks today…

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1405 on: May 14, 2023, 01:30:00 AM »
just wanted to say indy, please for the love of god rerelease those stage 4s at some point. these trucks are so good honestly.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1406 on: May 14, 2023, 02:29:12 AM »
just wanted to say indy, please for the love of god rerelease those stage 4s at some point. these trucks are so good honestly.

I thought they were coming in as a standard line, with NHS bringing them out on their own online store this or next month, from what others had said.

As I haven't really followed them as they barely made it out here to Australia (only a few people got a set or two) and the main release is still yet to happen here as per info from one of the bigger main shops, I am guessing there are going to be a whole lot more of them soon enough.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #1407 on: May 14, 2023, 05:13:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought they were coming in as a standard line, with NHS bringing them out on their own online store this or next month, from what others had said.

As I haven't really followed them as they barely made it out here to Australia (only a few people got a set or two) and the main release is still yet to happen here as per info from one of the bigger main shops, I am guessing there are going to be a whole lot more of them soon enough.
Yeah that's what I thought. You can order them from pretty much any online shop now. I know tactics and ccs have them.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1408 on: May 15, 2023, 09:57:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah that's what I thought. You can order them from pretty much any online shop now. I know tactics and ccs have them.
Just checked the other day and no aftermarket bushings in the new size either. I think we are still in the rollout phase and I remember something about Summer?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1409 on: May 15, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »
Has anyone ever stepped up from 149 to 159 on a 8.5” board? Was it better and how noticeable was the difference?