Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118589 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1440 on: May 18, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »
I agree, no forged plates!

Just gc hollows with a titanium axle variant

yes

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #1441 on: May 19, 2023, 04:38:41 PM »
I gave in to the madness and dismounted my near axled AF1’s and put some Indy 159 standards on the IKP plates, used Ace bushings and a vintage GK kingpin. Nope, they just aren’t Ace. Anyone using the stage 4’s in IKP baseplates? I never tried it idk why.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1442 on: May 19, 2023, 07:48:29 PM »
I gave in to the madness and dismounted my near axled AF1’s and put some Indy 159 standards on the IKP plates, used Ace bushings and a vintage GK kingpin. Nope, they just aren’t Ace. Anyone using the stage 4’s in IKP baseplates? I never tried it idk why.

It works fine with the IKP plates, and regular-size bushings give you a little more engagement between the kingpin and baseplate threads. I’ve been running my 4s on forged hollow plates and it’s really working for me on the Green Eagle.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #1443 on: May 20, 2023, 04:00:48 AM »
Nice, thanks man. Would you say the turning is as good as running them on the stage 4 baseplates or has the turn diminished as a result of being on stage 11 plates?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1444 on: May 20, 2023, 04:10:05 AM »

One of the interesting tests I did recently was with bushing heights.

Using a slightly taller bottom bushing got normal Stage 11 trucks turning a whole lot more like the old stage / Ace type of turn, then with a low head top bushing to make everything still fit in nicely.

Anyone who has the Stage 4 trucks could use the bottom bushing from those trucks, then with whatever tops fit in any other truck baseplate / hanger combo to recreate the turn.

I know things like geometry of the trucks have a lot to do with it too, so it is not just a case of jacking up the bottom bushings and turning on a dime, but it is interesting to note.

Guessing this is also why some people put Ace bushings in other trucks to make them turn a whole lot more.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #1445 on: May 20, 2023, 02:30:57 PM »
Nice, thanks man. Would you say the turning is as good as running them on the stage 4 baseplates or has the turn diminished as a result of being on stage 11 plates?

I’m not the person to ask on this one. Instead of putting time in on the stock setup, I went straight in on the “Stage Faux” baseplate experiments and put my 215 hangers on the Stage 4 baseplates, which I haven’t set up yet.

The way I have these dialed in is a little odd, but I like it. I used some Destructo bushings I had in the toolbox (smaller than the Stage 4 bushings/maybe a hair bigger than Stage XI stock bushings). These are actually pretty nice, guessing they’re made by Sure-Grip since that seems to be who owns this iteration of the brand? I’ve got them juuust tightened down to that first thread. There’s not much resistance on the bushings, so the whole turning range is really loose and swervy, but they firm up really quick at the end and there’s almost no wheelbite.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1446 on: May 22, 2023, 04:58:10 AM »
Friends, how do you stop your bushings/pivot cups from squeaking? Drives me insane and while wax works the squeak always comes back.

IpathCats

« Reply #1447 on: May 22, 2023, 05:17:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Friends, how do you stop your bushings/pivot cups from squeaking? Drives me insane and while wax works the squeak always comes back.
[close]

I need to grab some of this.

my stage 4's sound like my knees feel.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1448 on: May 22, 2023, 06:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I need to grab some of this.

my stage 4's sound like my knees feel.

Just be careful and start with pivot cups only. Very easy to make your bushings to have basically no turning resistance at all until it wears off.

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #1449 on: May 23, 2023, 11:02:36 PM »
Yeah the bushings are hardly ever the reason for the squeaking. It's most often just the pivot cup.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1450 on: May 24, 2023, 06:48:07 AM »
With greasing any surface, remember that a little goes a very long way. You really just want to apply the thinnest layer.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #1451 on: May 24, 2023, 06:50:18 AM »
With greasing any surface, remember that a little goes a very long way. You really just want to apply the thinnest layer.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1452 on: May 25, 2023, 03:38:52 AM »
First quick session with Stage 4s, I'm sold already, they're a keeper. Coming from forged S11s, it feels like the shortened wheelbase compensates the added weight and height. Just hoping the bushings will settle soon.

IpathCats

« Reply #1453 on: May 25, 2023, 11:59:39 AM »
First quick session with Stage 4s, I'm sold already, they're a keeper. Coming from forged S11s, it feels like the shortened wheelbase compensates the added weight and height. Just hoping the bushings will settle soon.

they firmed up really quick for me.

really enjoy the turn

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1454 on: May 25, 2023, 12:57:30 PM »
Is there a functional reason for the really tall top bushing? I feel like they coulda done a normal top and chopped the KP down a bit.

IpathCats

« Reply #1455 on: May 25, 2023, 01:11:01 PM »
Is there a functional reason for the really tall top bushing? I feel like they coulda done a normal top and chopped the KP down a bit.

If you're talking about the stage 4's they dont really have an exceptionally tall top bushing. about the same size as stage 11.

In general i would guess that the more bushing there is, the more the truck is allowed to articulate. allowing a deeper turn.

Total hypothesis, but it makes sense to me.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1456 on: May 25, 2023, 02:31:08 PM »
Are Indy Ti's somehow more prone to axle slip? Or is something wrong with my wheels? I never had axle slip before so I am a bit confused.
Had to adjust my wheels a few times in the last 2 hours (Spitfire 52mm Conicals with Blurs Bearings).
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1457 on: May 25, 2023, 03:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you're talking about the stage 4's they dont really have an exceptionally tall top bushing. about the same size as stage 11.

In general i would guess that the more bushing there is, the more the truck is allowed to articulate. allowing a deeper turn.

I had to go looking for this, but they are both taller than Stage 11 bushings, with a taller kingpin to match.

Stage 11
Top 10 mm
Bottom 13 mm

Stage 4
Top 12.5 mm
Bottom 14.8 mm

Some people definitely angle grinded down the kingpins (Andrew Reynolds) and swapped out bushings, but even just using a lower top bushing will still get the same turn and more clearance.

Please accept my apologies in advance if this is redundant info, but I'm sharing here for posterity's sake in case such imagery hasn't already been propagated in this here thread.
I pulled the the bushings from a new (as in: not yet compressed) Stage IVs and tossed 'em into the ol' digi-cal.
Here's what we got...

Make with this info what you will, and again, my sorries if this is old news, rewarmed.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1458 on: May 25, 2023, 03:38:27 PM »
Are Indy Ti's somehow more prone to axle slip? Or is something wrong with my wheels? I never had axle slip before so I am a bit confused.
Had to adjust my wheels a few times in the last 2 hours (Spitfire 52mm Conicals with Blurs Bearings).

Not wanting to scare you but have you seen all the broken axles on Indy ti hangers in recent years?

It is a fairly well known issue, something about the ti axles just not being of quality material / have imperfections / just can't hold up, so often the axle snaps off, usually around the point where the wheel meets the hanger, or just inside the hanger.

Maybe check your trucks before doing anything else, as there are quite a few pics here on Slap and elsewhere.

Ok so my Indy Titaniums did this:

Will this be warrantied if the trucks are more than 4 months old or whatever I'm seeing on the NHS website? I'm lucky I noticed before bailing.

Edit: I'm just going to contact the skate shop first

I did it again..
Second time my 144 Ti axle breaks..
First time they sent me a new set.
This is one of them.. Fuck Titanium.. 360 flip on flat.

Never again.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1459 on: May 25, 2023, 04:41:39 PM »
I got a few sets of the original titaniums still going strong and one pair of the new ones. Two of old sets eventually slipped after landing primo one too many times, but NHS has always replaced them.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #1460 on: May 25, 2023, 05:31:34 PM »

It actually helps keep the top washer from hitting the hanger. Stage 4s have a very narrow yoke cavity around the top bushing like Aces, so going down to a shorter kingpin/normal height top, the cup washers come very close to hitting the hanger. It works, but there’s minimal clearance.

Flat top washer solves this issue for shorter bushings if you’re worried about it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1461 on: May 25, 2023, 05:36:02 PM »
Oh no I don't care if the washer hits the hanger it does it on Thunders and Ventures a lot and its whatever. I just would want better KP clearance.

IpathCats

« Reply #1462 on: May 25, 2023, 07:32:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had to go looking for this, but they are both taller than Stage 11 bushings, with a taller kingpin to match.

Stage 11
Top 10 mm
Bottom 13 mm

Stage 4
Top 12.5 mm
Bottom 14.8 mm

Some people definitely angle grinded down the kingpins (Andrew Reynolds) and swapped out bushings, but even just using a lower top bushing will still get the same turn and more clearance.

Expand Quote
Please accept my apologies in advance if this is redundant info, but I'm sharing here for posterity's sake in case such imagery hasn't already been propagated in this here thread.
I pulled the the bushings from a new (as in: not yet compressed) Stage IVs and tossed 'em into the ol' digi-cal.
Here's what we got...

Make with this info what you will, and again, my sorries if this is old news, rewarmed.
[close]

Yea, I def read my own first post wrong, bigger difference than I thought. Haha.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1463 on: May 26, 2023, 12:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not wanting to scare you but have you seen all the broken axles on Indy ti hangers in recent years?

It is a fairly well known issue, something about the ti axles just not being of quality material / have imperfections / just can't hold up, so often the axle snaps off, usually around the point where the wheel meets the hanger, or just inside the hanger.

Maybe check your trucks before doing anything else, as there are quite a few pics here on Slap and elsewhere.

Expand Quote
Ok so my Indy Titaniums did this:

Will this be warrantied if the trucks are more than 4 months old or whatever I'm seeing on the NHS website? I'm lucky I noticed before bailing.

Edit: I'm just going to contact the skate shop first
[close]

Expand Quote
I did it again..
Second time my 144 Ti axle breaks..
First time they sent me a new set.
This is one of them.. Fuck Titanium.. 360 flip on flat.

Never again.
[close]

Oh well.. I also have 144 Ti's. That doesn't look good. If it keeps happening I will get a set of Forged Hollows.
Thanks Brimmo
IG: @flowterspace

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #1464 on: May 26, 2023, 12:50:27 AM »
Been riding 144 titaniums for a while now with no issues whatsoever.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1465 on: May 26, 2023, 06:49:25 AM »
I've had a pair of ti hangers I've ridden on and off for like 2.5 years that are great and in the meantime bent 2 Thunder solid axles.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1466 on: May 26, 2023, 07:36:57 AM »
I have some ti 159s which I admittedly don't skate too much, but which are still perfectly straight. Still though, there's no denying that several posters here have had noted issues with the ti axled Indys, and titanium is much more prone to fracturing than chromoly, so while you might bend your steel axle, it's less likely to snap off suddenly.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

standfast

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1467 on: May 26, 2023, 07:40:09 AM »
Finally got around to skating the forged hollow mids with the IKP. Thoroughly enjoyed the lowness of the board however, the trucks weigh just too much for me. Felt like skating with weights on which is helpful for some tricks but you get tired out quickly. Please make a indy 52mm with the standard hollow weight hanger and no IKP.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #1468 on: May 26, 2023, 08:28:07 AM »
Finally got around to skating the forged hollow mids with the IKP. Thoroughly enjoyed the lowness of the board however, the trucks weigh just too much for me. Felt like skating with weights on which is helpful for some tricks but you get tired out quickly. Please make a indy 52mm with the standard hollow weight hanger and no IKP.

Get some lows. I’ve a set of STG 11 Romero low hollows. They come with cast plates, but I’m fitting them with forged ones. They gonna get real low.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1469 on: May 26, 2023, 09:04:12 AM »

I'd love nothing more than this truck. I feel like Indy blew a golden opportunity with their mid. A 52mm Indy is perfet. I have a set of the forged hollow mid and I really liked the feel of them, but the KP loosening on its own was a real bummer.

By what I've heard on here, sounds like Ace managed to nail the KP clearance and turn on their low truck by changing the baseplate rather than the hanger. They got better KP clearance than the regular AF1s, with no need to invert the kingpin. 49mm is too crazy for me though. I was tempted to try them with a 1/8 riser to get them to 52.

As for now, I'm back on the regular FH 144s.