Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 118566 times)

OneMassiveCalf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1470 on: May 26, 2023, 07:42:09 PM »
I have 3 sets of Indy trucks I ride regularly. Two are 169s, and the third is 159. The thing is, they each ride very differently.

169s I bought about a year ago: super carvy.
159s I bought about five years ago: not very carvy.
169s I bought in 2011: fuckin’ stiff as those spam emails say they can make my dick (“with just one easy trick”)

So my question is, does this have to do with different stages? And also, is there any way you can tell one stage from another by looking at them?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1471 on: May 26, 2023, 07:51:10 PM »
I have 3 sets of Indy trucks I ride regularly. Two are 169s, and the third is 159. The thing is, they each ride very differently.

169s I bought about a year ago: super carvy.
159s I bought about five years ago: not very carvy.
169s I bought in 2011: fuckin’ stiff as those spam emails say they can make my dick (“with just one easy trick”)

So my question is, does this have to do with different stages? And also, is there any way you can tell one stage from another by looking at them?
I'm guessing the issue with the new trucks feeling different might be down to the bushings. The story is Indy improved the stock bushings when they fully moved production to China in 2019 or so. So you might have the cruddy older stock in the 159s and the newer ones in the stage 11 169s. The older 169s are likely stage 10s as the 11s came out in 2012. Stage 10s have slightly different geometry and are 53mm height instead of the more common Indy standard of 55mm. Also those bushings may have straight up fossilized if they are the same ones they came with.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

OneMassiveCalf

« Reply #1472 on: May 26, 2023, 08:11:42 PM »
I'm guessing the issue with the new trucks feeling different might be down to the bushings...

Aha! That sounds like the answer! The bushings on the good 169s do look different than those on the 159s. I'll hafta snag a new set and try it out. Thanks!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1473 on: May 26, 2023, 10:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm guessing the issue with the new trucks feeling different might be down to the bushings...
[close]

Aha! That sounds like the answer! The bushings on the good 169s do look different than those on the 159s. I'll hafta snag a new set and try it out. Thanks!

Agree with @jakeumms on the bushings.

Definitely the bushing change over the years made them a whole lot more turny, but also urethane cures and hardens over time, so trying the mix and match bushings in the older trucks might make a difference too. 

I fully waxed up every connecting bit of some older trucks recently - that is every facing part of pivot cup, hanger, bushing seats, washers and bushings themselves (just to see how it worked) and it made such a huge difference in how things turned so easily compared to what they were like before.  Not saying this will fix everything, but it definitely changed for the better, going from a stiff feeling turn to a much more fluid feeling turn on the older trucks.  Just go easy on it cause you don't want it getting messy, but it solved the squeaks and clicks too.

Differences in parts:

Older bushings - almost a poured sharp edge look to one side, slightly rounded other edge, flat face.

Newer bushings - concentric circles on the machined edge, same slightly rounded other edge, flat face.

Indy Stage 9 (from 2003) - two hollow parts (like nostrils) in baseplate with a single line cross on the front, hanger 53mm or so in height

Indy Stage 10 (from 2010) - solid baseplate, still single line cross on the front, hanger 53mm or so in height

Indy Stage 11 (from 2012) - solid baseplate, circle line round single line cross on the front, hanger 55mm in height on cast baseplates (with either solid kingpin or hollow kingpin option), 53.5mm in height on forged baseplates (always with hollow kingpin)

All sizes from 129, 139, 149, 159 and 169 during those times / stages, then 144 in 2017

From that I would guess that you have two Stage 11 sets and one earlier Stage 10 set of trucks, but the cross logo on the baseplate is the easiest make for the earlier stages.

* Almost forgot to add, no cross on the baseplates is only from 2020 or so onwards for new trucks.  Most shops would have no old stock with crosses on now, but there are still a lot of sets around, so even then what you bought could have been earlier stages too, but most likely a Stage 10, then two sets of Stage 11 in more recent times.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OneMassiveCalf

« Reply #1474 on: May 27, 2023, 12:20:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy smokes! You were so right! I got a set of new regular indy bushings and now I'm carving around like one of those instagram bikini models.  :D Thanks dudes!

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #1475 on: May 27, 2023, 10:34:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Holy smokes! You were so right! I got a set of new regular indy bushings and now I'm carving around like one of those instagram bikini models.  :D Thanks dudes!

good for ya..

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #1476 on: May 28, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
Dudes, what are these?

Obviously Indy’s. But what year/stage?
They have conical standard Orange bushings.
The hanger yoke is oriented the opposite way.
The baseplate seems lower than modern casts but still look/feel cast. Has cross. Is fairly solid. Say USA underneath.
Geometry is little different.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1477 on: May 28, 2023, 11:25:54 PM »
Looks like stage 7 or 8, but can't tell which without seeing the bottom of the baseplates.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #1478 on: May 29, 2023, 01:07:11 AM »
got a new set of indy's recently. but appears one of them still had the logo on it. so it mustve been sitting for a while. the other one had the size on the hangers so its pretty new i guess.

what i discovered was that the older one steered much smoother, wich i had already put on the back. while i coulnt get the new one on the front to even match the turn of the back one. which made this the oppsite of what i normally ride. surfy front truck more stable back truck.
tried to switch the bushings around, but that did nothing. so in a last desperate attempt i switched the pivotcups. from front to back. and that was it. problem solved. now the fron is surfy and the back stable even tho theyre about the same tightness.

my guess is the new pivotcups are not the same anymore. they made this loud ass creaking sound too while the other was silent and turned much smoother.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #1479 on: May 29, 2023, 02:00:29 AM »
Looks like stage 7 or 8, but can't tell which without seeing the bottom of the baseplates.

I’ve already bolted them on  ;D

The baseplates are all solid except for divot with USA stamp. These have cross logo and six holes. According to this Willie character, this makes them stage 8s.

Yay, free trucks.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1480 on: May 29, 2023, 03:33:19 AM »
got a new set of indy's recently. but appears one of them still had the logo on it. so it mustve been sitting for a while. the other one had the size on the hangers so its pretty new i guess.

what i discovered was that the older one steered much smoother, wich i had already put on the back. while i coulnt get the new one on the front to even match the turn of the back one. which made this the oppsite of what i normally ride. surfy front truck more stable back truck.
tried to switch the bushings around, but that did nothing. so in a last desperate attempt i switched the pivotcups. from front to back. and that was it. problem solved. now the fron is surfy and the back stable even tho theyre about the same tightness.

my guess is the new pivotcups are not the same anymore. they made this loud ass creaking sound too while the other was silent and turned much smoother.

That is the most common thing with the newer ones (anything without the cross really) as the pivot cups are a harder material and often feel like or sound like they have blown out, even though they have not.

If you end up with a funny more metallic ding sound when the truck hits the ground, more so on the truck with the newer pivot cup, just switch it out for any other older pivot cup or an after market pivot cup from any of the main brands or plain generic one and it should make it sound and feel like normal.

Some people I know hate on the new trucks pretty hard, but when I switched out the newer harder pivot cups, they skate way better and feel more normal.  The baseplate, the hanger, the bushings work just as well if not better, depending on your preference or opinion, but whatever they are using for pivot cups is bringing the whole truck, brand name and no cross / now diamond logo or whatever down in a way that is really such a simple fix.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #1481 on: May 29, 2023, 03:52:53 AM »

Why didn't you just swap the front truck to the back?

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #1482 on: May 29, 2023, 04:23:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

was skating them in for the past 2 weeks. already got solid grooves in them before i realized they wont be breaking in the way i wanted. also swapping pivots is taking off 2 nuts total, while the whole trucks means 8 nuts. no powertools here so this was way faster.

That is the most common thing with the newer ones (anything without the cross really) as the pivot cups are a harder material and often feel like or sound like they have blown out, even though they have not.

If you end up with a funny more metallic ding sound when the truck hits the ground, more so on the truck with the newer pivot cup, just switch it out for any other older pivot cup or an after market pivot cup from any of the main brands or plain generic one and it should make it sound and feel like normal.

Some people I know hate on the new trucks pretty hard, but when I switched out the newer harder pivot cups, they skate way better and feel more normal.  The baseplate, the hanger, the bushings work just as well if not better, depending on your preference or opinion, but whatever they are using for pivot cups is bringing the whole truck, brand name and no cross / now diamond logo or whatever down in a way that is really such a simple fix.

hope they fix it. i don't mind swapping to some aftermarkets. but really a truck should just function as they supposed to do when they come stock.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1483 on: May 29, 2023, 05:08:35 AM »

hope they fix it. i don't mind swapping to some aftermarkets. but really a truck should just function as they supposed to do when they come stock.

100% Agreed!

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #1484 on: May 29, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

was skating them in for the past 2 weeks. already got solid grooves in them before i realized they wont be breaking in the way i wanted. also swapping pivots is taking off 2 nuts total, while the whole trucks means 8 nuts. no powertools here so this was way faster.

Oh ok that makes sense. Don't wanna compromise the grooves.

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #1485 on: May 29, 2023, 06:48:42 PM »
congrats to josef newgarden
(Cool Trick GIF)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1486 on: May 29, 2023, 07:06:53 PM »
What’s the long-term consensus about the Mids? I know there was initial consternation about the weight, kingpin clearance, kingpin “sticking” on feeble/smiths/etc., and the kingpin loosening up. How much of that seems to be legitimate complaints, or just initial fuss over them just being a bit different? I ride forged, and was considering trying Mids, but def didn’t seem like they had good initial reviews.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1487 on: May 29, 2023, 07:45:10 PM »
What’s the long-term consensus about the Mids? I know there was initial consternation about the weight, kingpin clearance, kingpin “sticking” on feeble/smiths/etc., and the kingpin loosening up. How much of that seems to be legitimate complaints, or just initial fuss over them just being a bit different? I ride forged, and was considering trying Mids, but def didn’t seem like they had good initial reviews.

From the truck poll, I would hazard a guess that almost everyone who has tried them has either gone back to what they were on before, or moved on to something different.

Last I saw there were zero people on the regular mids and three on the forged mids, out of currently 345 total votes.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126504.0

Kingpin coming loose is a permanent issue - nothing they can do will fix it, besides someone using their own addition of locktite or similar product.

The height was key, but the weight put off a lot more people, so I think using the forged hollow standard height 53.5 mm was preferred to the mid 52 mm that was heavier and had issues.

Nothing wrong with giving them a shot though, because I know there is a market for that sort of lower truck, but most people just found they were more trouble than they were worth.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1488 on: May 29, 2023, 08:16:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

From the truck poll, I would hazard a guess that almost everyone who has tried them has either gone back to what they were on before, or moved on to something different.

Last I saw there were zero people on the regular mids and three on the forged mids, out of currently 345 total votes.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126504.0

Kingpin coming loose is a permanent issue - nothing they can do will fix it, besides someone using their own addition of locktite or similar product.

The height was key, but the weight put off a lot more people, so I think using the forged hollow standard height 53.5 mm was preferred to the mid 52 mm that was heavier and had issues.

Nothing wrong with giving them a shot though, because I know there is a market for that sort of lower truck, but most people just found they were more trouble than they were worth.

Duly noted. Thanks.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1489 on: May 29, 2023, 08:56:17 PM »
Tiago and Carlos still ride the mids and I see them a decent amount locally in SD, but the TM is also here so that could be part of it.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1490 on: June 05, 2023, 05:52:57 PM »
Switched back from Ace AF1 Hollows to Indy and I'ma stay I think. Ace's with stock bushings were unridable loose for my 210lbs, liked them with hard bushings but they were almost too stable for transition. The turn is odd, really stable on center, too stable. They turn super sharp but you have to kinda force it.

Got 169 forged hollows on an Anti-Hero 9" orange eagle and couldn't be happier. More responsive quicker turning but still lots stable. Just felt natural and easy. They were slower grinding on metal coping than the AF1's but prob because they're brand new.

If you get annoyed how the stupid sharp top washer cuts up the bushing on Indy's, put in Ace top washers. Doesn't cut the bushing and makes the trucks feel better. I used to run the blue Indy bushings but with the Ace washers I'm nut flush on stock bushings and they're fantastic. Makes them a bit firmer and also more progressive, they firm up more before wheelbite.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #1491 on: June 09, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »
Came across an old setup of mine. Must be from ~2011? Wasn't skating much during this time, thus the goofy big wheels and risers.

Red conical bushings. Must be Stage 10?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1492 on: June 09, 2023, 04:22:44 PM »

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1493 on: June 09, 2023, 05:14:43 PM »

Bought a pair for kicks. Love a gimmick and to me it’s all it was. The IKP wasn’t enough to warrant me getting another set. I’d cop another set if they were on super sale. All other aspects of the truck are what you’d come to expect from an Indy. The weight you can even tell a difference between a standard IMO.

Now hollows or the stage 4 reissues I would continue to buy over the standard or titanium model.

cheekclapper

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1494 on: June 09, 2023, 08:39:33 PM »
If you get annoyed how the stupid sharp top washer cuts up the bushing on Indy's, put in Ace top washers. Doesn't cut the bushing and makes the trucks feel better. I used to run the blue Indy bushings but with the Ace washers I'm nut flush on stock bushings and they're fantastic. Makes them a bit firmer and also more progressive, they firm up more before wheelbite.

I was going crazy about my bushings and I used it use the blue cylinder bushings too but it seemed too linear if a turn. I did the same exact thing with Ace washers but stick indy bushings. game changer
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1495 on: June 10, 2023, 05:50:29 PM »
Came across an old setup of mine. Must be from ~2011? Wasn't skating much during this time, thus the goofy big wheels and risers.

Ha yeah, so good!!!

I think I still have one from a set I had - went and found it.

So like you, maybe that same year, I had a set of those, almost when they first came out but I didn't realise, so some people were tripping on them, the black forged baseplate with a big X (Stage 10) with the solid kingpin, the same graphic on the silver hanger too, red conical bushings, just like this one.

Kingpin clearance was pretty minimal on almost all the Indy trucks up until Stage 11, but they were lower in height so it worked for a more tech setup, rather than my usual bowl board type of thing, which I guess is why this one is still in such good condition too.

*  I see you have risers on yours, which would make sense.  I usually put thin rubber risers on the other standard trucks with 56 mm wheels.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1496 on: June 11, 2023, 08:35:11 AM »
I said this the other day, but I found some Stage 10s on a waterlogged complete at the thrift store, so for $15 of course I had to give it a shot. I thought they were terrible. I can see why that Stage lasted a few years and we are on like year 12 of the Stage 11. Fortunately they were anodized purple so I was able to sell them on eBay for $60.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1497 on: June 11, 2023, 11:26:14 AM »

Had these same trucks! Didn’t like them. Didn’t seem to turn much. Stepped away from skating too around this time. Put these back on and didn’t feel good when I came back. Decided to get new everything when I started skating like five years ago and the stage 11’s were a rebirth. Sometimes getting new gear solves some issues.

Odd to hear about the crossless indies having issues. I’m gonna try to score some stage 4s soon. Next time I’m in a shop or something. Don’t have much need but just wanna try them.

nothing's been the since same

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1498 on: June 11, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was going crazy about my bushings and I used it use the blue cylinder bushings too but it seemed too linear if a turn. I did the same exact thing with Ace washers but stick indy bushings. game changer

Right?! It's nuts how much of a difference a frickin washer makes, but Ace washer on stock bushings is just perfection.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1499 on: June 14, 2023, 08:55:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Had these same trucks! Didn’t like them. Didn’t seem to turn much. Stepped away from skating too around this time. Put these back on and didn’t feel good when I came back. Decided to get new everything when I started skating like five years ago and the stage 11’s were a rebirth. Sometimes getting new gear solves some issues.

Odd to hear about the crossless indies having issues. I’m gonna try to score some stage 4s soon. Next time I’m in a shop or something. Don’t have much need but just wanna try them.

Yeah the Stage 11 has been great and I never looked back, even though I still have quite a few sets of Stage 9 and 10, as well as some earlier stages. 

Edit:  The 9 and 10 had the same geometry, just the solid baseplate in the Stage 10, was what I was meaning, different to the earlier stages and very different to the Stage 11 trucks geometry.

I used to (and still do) put the aftermarket bushings in with the low heads so I can get the trucks a bit more turny as well as have better kingpin clearance, but we would often cut down stock bushings too.

For anyone who wanted a firmer lower Indy, the Stage 9 or 10 trucks are maybe more interesting than the mids, but that is just my take on it, from comparing a few sets.

Any lower truck usually has less kingpin clearance, but these older Indy stages have minimal to none in the kingpin clearance department.