Author Topic: good knee pads for big :) boy  (Read 501 times)

Pewniw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
good knee pads for big :) boy
« on: October 26, 2022, 05:52:12 PM »
Hey all

Any big guys out there recommend any knee pads at all? I'm really struggling to find some knee pads that will fit my legs!

I'm new to skating and don't fancy trying to learn without protection

Any help is greatly appreciated!

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
Re: good knee pads for big :) boy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 04:02:57 AM »
i don't have any recomendations, but if you're trying to learn how to do ollies and shit like that pads might be a little restrictive when it comes to knee movement. for "street" skating you'll be ok with just a helmet, and maybe elbow pads. obviously falls are going to hurt but that's part of the game. if you're scared of injuries, well kneepads won't do shit when you twist your knee or something. transition is a whole different beast and full pads would be useful there, but you'll be ok without them on street obstacles.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 04:29:50 AM »
I second what roba said. "Real" knee pads are only good for sliding (the thing skaters do when they bail on a trick on large ramps). If you're concerned about hitting your knees while learning the basics like riding around and ollies, you might consider volleyball pads. Those should give you a little protection without altering/restricting your natural movement patterns too much.

IpathCats

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 04:50:43 AM »
Helmet and wrist guards will probably do you just fine. Learn to fall properly, especially if you're bigger, this will really help you.

The goal is to ROLL.

Wrist guards will help falling to your hands and rolling to your shoulder.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 05:19:53 AM »
I agree 100% with all everything here and I second the “wrist guards and helmet” advice. You’re not going to fall on your knees learning to ollie - your board is going to shoot out and you’ll put your hands down to stop yourself.

The big pads you see on pro skaters aren’t really “general purpose,” and there is a reason why you even helmet-wearing street skaters don’t wear them - they are bulky, restrictive and oriented towards sliding.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:13:51 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 05:36:22 AM »
Seconded on wrist guards, maybe elbow guards too, since you're most likely to use those appendages to break your fall when you inevitably do. 187 do some good wrist guards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 104
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 09:00:33 AM »
187 Pro Knee are good for big dudes who skate tranny and knee slide to avoid slams. But to echo what everyone else said here: wrist guards will save you more times than not along with the roll technique on just about everything, tranny included.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 09:29:47 AM »
Some wrist guards can potentially send the impact  shock further up your arm and cause an even bigger problem. I wouldn't use wrist guards unless your wrist is already injured. Or at least research the wrist guards properly.

Knee pads are really only useful if you are skating big smoothed surfaced transition that you can properly knee bail on. (I use 187 pads if I'm padding up to skate something big. I will likely get the S1 pads next time I need a pair). Knee gaskets could be helpful?

Front elbow pad and helmet seem to make the most sense in protecting yourself for general all round skateboarding.

Learn to fall without sticking your limbs out. Tuck and roll on flat. Slide down transition on your bum if you're not knee bailing. Don't try to abruptly halt your momentum when slamming... roll with it..

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 12:11:54 PM »
In the past, I've done knee gaskets under my pants to help with the initial impact of the fall/roll. Might be helpful if you're on the bigger side and don't want to fully pad up.

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 07:06:01 PM »
Hey all

Any big guys out there recommend any knee pads at all? I'm really struggling to find some knee pads that will fit my legs!

I'm new to skating and don't fancy trying to learn without protection

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Coming from an older dude that skated a long time. . . Don't make a routine of falling on your knees at all. I would suggest wrist guards, snowboard tailbone protector, and a helmet because I am sure you have bills too. I doubt if your new to skating you will be needing to knee slide and thats horrible go-to in small ramps, street or transition. also dude it is the closest thing to a religion that pay taxes for sure. I do mini ramp runs to sleep instead of sheep for sure. keep with it, smile at failure, and take that with everything you do. welcome to the club.