Author Topic: Compressor Settings for FCP7 Project to DVD  (Read 272 times)

happenstance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Compressor Settings for FCP7 Project to DVD
« on: October 13, 2022, 09:44:58 AM »
Ahoy, this is a very specific question, which I hadn't considered posing to the Slap community. This is definitely a long shot...

I am wrapping up 2 full lengths (pro tip, never make 2 at once!) and am going to make a DVD. Anytime I've done this in the past I've had someone else take my hard drive and manage the exporting and DVD authoring for me. I want to do it myself this time.

I am using Final Cut Pro 7 (I know, I'm a dinosaur), footage is VX and pro res super 8 (mix of both HD and SD telecine), and just want to start off figuring out the settings in Compressor for best output, before pulling into DVD studio pro.

Keeping in mind that I am using FCP7 (and hence will need to use an older version of compressor), can anyone provide screenshots or a list of settings they've used in the past, along with the Compressor version number they use?

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
Re: Compressor Settings for FCP7 Project to DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:15:17 AM »
I've always just used the DVD Best Quality 90 minutes preset with default settings. Never had any issue. However, I would recommend exporting a self contained Quicktime movie from FCP7 rather than using the Send to Compressor function... That can cause issues at times in my experience. Let me know if I can be of any more help!
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »
Thanks! Appreciate the response.

In the time since creating this thread I did get my hands on Compressor 3.5, so that hurdle was crossed. And from what I am reading, everyone is suggesting the export first (rather than 'send to Compressor') and to just use the default 'best DVD settings' as you've said. If the internet says it, and Slap says it, it's definitely true!

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 12:32:38 AM »
Excited to see what you have coming. Been a fan of your previous stuff!

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 11:24:28 AM »
Yeah, as mentioned I would use the File > Export as Quick Time movie and then take it into Compressor and do the DVD Best Quality 90 minutes.

From there, you will have two separate files, one for video and one for audio, which you will take into DVD studio pro project.

If you're doing a chapters menu, you can add chapter markers in the FCP7 timeline before export.  Click "MM" for add marker and then "Add Chapter Marker".  Make sure you include chapter markers in the export from FCP7.  Once in DVD Studio Pro, you should be able to see or stop on the chapter markers and then connect the assets of a chapter menu to start there.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »
Ah sweet, thanks for the tips @OnSlapAtWork

And thanks for the kind words @Pappy Jones ! I've been working on these two videos for an unreasonable amount of time and hope it will shine through.