Author Topic: Rio de Janeiro Street League  (Read 422 times)

bigolboii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -11
Rio de Janeiro Street League
« on: September 23, 2022, 06:58:04 PM »
Strongly considering going to Rio in November. Looking to use my vacation time to go somewhere interesting and think the SLS finals in Rio would be fun.... Thoughts on solo week trip to Rio knowing only English? Hostel/hotel recommendations? Want to pull the trigger on flights but friends are acting like it is too dangerous

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: Rio de Janeiro Street League
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:09:54 AM »
Strongly considering going to Rio in November. Looking to use my vacation time to go somewhere interesting and think the SLS finals in Rio would be fun.... Thoughts on solo week trip to Rio knowing only English? Hostel/hotel recommendations? Want to pull the trigger on flights but friends are acting like it is too dangerous

I can't recommend specific hotels/hostels but stay in Leblon or Ipanema. Rio's incredible and the people are amazing. You'll certainly encounter a language barrier but just learn some essential words/phrases in Portuguese. You'll be fine, just be aware of where you are and your surroundings. The favelas tend to blend in and be right next to some touristy things/areas in Rio so be mindful of that.

hellawatters

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 11:39:02 AM »
Wondering if you made it out and how it was- I’m heading to rio in a couple weeks to visit a friend and was debating bringing a board or buying there. Curious if there is a domestic skate industry and how it compares in quality to North American products.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 03:39:55 AM »
Wondering if you made it out and how it was- I’m heading to rio in a couple weeks to visit a friend and was debating bringing a board or buying there. Curious if there is a domestic skate industry and how it compares in quality to North American products.

boards here costs around 450 BRL. If you are too picky, bring your board because it ain't easy to find what you really like.

hellawatters

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 11:14:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

boards here costs around 450 BRL. If you are too picky, bring your board because it ain't easy to find what you really like.

Word- are there shop boards or domestic brands that are less? Not super picky just looking for something for a weeklong trip that’s not focused on skating and thought buying something there might be cheaper than the fees for another piece of luggage.

EAT PUSSY!

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 07:27:54 AM »
sure, you can get a national brand for about 200 BRL. they will suck tho, it's ivory wood, not maple (if you are lucky you will find a local brand that uses maple).

i suggest you bring your board and when leaving donate it to a kid at praça xv (xv square).

hellawatters

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 06:41:53 PM »
Cool thank you! I appreciate it! Any spots or parks that you’d recommend?

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 08:56:03 AM »

Damn I haven't been in Rio but according to my skater friends experience isn't that great as a skate destination:
Spots are scarce, ground its rough everywhere, humidity its relentless, parks are outdated, plazas arent that good and tourist pickpockets/robbers everywhere so you must always be on point.

Local national boards suck balls, dont even try them, heavy, weird pop sometimes and get smashed easily, a big no-no.

EAT PUSSY!

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 05:10:40 AM »

https://goo.gl/maps/yAcQgwU2wZMWckSr6 hundred of ledges and smooth ground

https://goo.gl/maps/1gg8NxdZ3vRuE43cA great DIY with everything

https://goo.gl/maps/DKtHZnQLM1zThxeeA benches skateable on weekends

there are other dozen skate parks found easily on google.