Author Topic: Nollie Noseslide / Crook on ledges  (Read 1040 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Nollie Noseslide / Crook on ledges
« on: September 19, 2023, 12:21:46 AM »
It's on the bucket list and conceptually they seem possible now that I've been working more on my Nollies. I used to think you needed to have a super high Nollie, but if I think about them like a Nollie 180 that is dragged, levelled out and with a lifted popping foot, it seems less intimidating.

Tried them on a low ledge and my nose keeps doesn't get high enough or knocks the side of the ledge.

How should I be distributing my weight?

Where should I be facing?

How much angle should I take going into the ledge?

Thanks all!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Suangi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: Nollie Noseslide / Crook on ledges
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 02:26:52 AM »
For me personally I always go with the baby steps approach.

I would first get comfortable doing nollie nose stall. Just ride straight at the ledge and do those over and over for a bit. That will get the weight distribution and foot positioning sorted.

Then just sort of carve into it. You can start with a wide carve so you are almost coming to a stop/stall and then the more comfortable you get just carve a little bit.

For a crook you are going to need to pop more and go faster. Slides are easy, bs nollie crooks will take some time and practice. For some reason I find fs nollie crook extremely easy. Just seems to lock in

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 11:52:44 AM »
Don't think nollie 180, just straight nollie, there's basically no turning involved.

Nollie nose start by going at a big angle.

Nollie crook is a good amount harder, will need to go much more parallel.

Would help if you could nollie fs 5050 the ledge (both trucks on same time, not a nollie 5-0 then put front truck down), that way you know you technically have a high enough nollie.

If your nose isn't getting high enough or you're clipping on the way up, you're probably popping with your weight completely over your nose and keeping your weight over your popping foot during the entire motion which makes it a lot harder for the nose to get high enough.

Gotta try and shift the weight a bit to your back foot after you pop, kinda like a see saw motion to level out the nollie, that way you can take weight off the front end of the board and let it come up a bit further... before you then put the weight back over the front to lock in.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 02:21:18 PM »
You're probably talking about backside, but nollie fs crooks are super easy, easier than regular fs crooks. Just try them after learning nollie 5050s.
I also learned the bs ones by learning nollie bs 5050s first, which was really hard for me.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 06:04:29 AM »
Don't think nollie 180, just straight nollie, there's basically no turning involved.

Nollie nose start by going at a big angle.

Nollie crook is a good amount harder, will need to go much more parallel.

Would help if you could nollie fs 5050 the ledge (both trucks on same time, not a nollie 5-0 then put front truck down), that way you know you technically have a high enough nollie.

If your nose isn't getting high enough or you're clipping on the way up, you're probably popping with your weight completely over your nose and keeping your weight over your popping foot during the entire motion which makes it a lot harder for the nose to get high enough.

Gotta try and shift the weight a bit to your back foot after you pop, kinda like a see saw motion to level out the nollie, that way you can take weight off the front end of the board and let it come up a bit further... before you then put the weight back over the front to lock in.
this is good advice as i learned nollie noseslides from him in 1 day lol
i don't have nollie bs 5050's at all which I'm sure would help; a solid nollie helps a ton though

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »
Solid advice, looks like I got to bring it back to the start and start locking in straight on. I had Nollie BS 50-50 for a bit but never consistent.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 05:57:42 AM »
Nollie bs crook is like a holy grail impossible trick to me for some reason. Same thing with fakie ollie switch bs crook, just doesn’t make sense in my brain at all to pop and float backwards even though I can nollie and fakie ollie just fine.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 01:25:44 AM »

Timely video from Tom Asta, pretty much what you guys already mentioned - distance and weight distribution
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 02:12:55 AM »
Yeah, very timely video from Asta.  This thread prompted me to start trying these as I've been working on getting solid straight nollies for a while now. 

First session trying these straight onto a mid-shin height ledge last night, and while I didn't get a make, I started getting close and eventually able to keep the board somewhat under me.  One thing that clicked that hasn't been mentioned yet, but is very clear in Tom's video, and that's what the back foot/leg does. 

Every time I consciously made an effort to form this shape with my back leg and foot is when I didn't get ahead of the board.  It was my timing that was off most of the time.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 09:54:26 AM »
Yeah, very timely video from Asta.  This thread prompted me to start trying these as I've been working on getting solid straight nollies for a while now. 

First session trying these straight onto a mid-shin height ledge last night, and while I didn't get a make, I started getting close and eventually able to keep the board somewhat under me.  One thing that clicked that hasn't been mentioned yet, but is very clear in Tom's video, and that's what the back foot/leg does. 

Every time I consciously made an effort to form this shape with my back leg and foot is when I didn't get ahead of the board.  It was my timing that was off most of the time.

I feel you on the dragging foot, up until recently I was just stomping the hell out of my Nollies so I'd get height but all rocket. When I started lifting my popping foot while dragging my other foot, using the kick of the nose / tail as the stopper for my shot, things started to click and I got some height and leveled out pop.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -25
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 09:10:19 PM »
try to get on nollie bs nosegrind, works for me when i do nollie crook

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 05:38:06 AM »
I just aim my nollie crooks more on the underside of the ledge. For some reason helps with my weight distribution and pop and I can actually get that front truck locked in and grinding.
Nollie noseslide for me is one of those tricks you can do pretty easily, but don’t feel confident or comfortable with them at all

ssbsminotti

• Rep: -8
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 03:15:40 AM »
What helps me level out nollies is popping them straight forward/scooping and not popping them straight down