Author Topic: How about them bigspins?  (Read 978 times)

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
How about them bigspins?
« on: August 15, 2023, 11:42:23 AM »
So I learned 360 flips largely thanks to thread here, and was thinking about putting the same effort into other tricks that have baffled me through the decades.

One I would love to learn is a bs bigspin, which I undestand is somewhat similar to a 360 flip? I could never figure out how to pop that thing, can anybody break it down for me?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
Re: How about them bigspins?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 12:12:03 PM »
Helps if you can 3shuv. Feet close together. Make sure you hit the tail when you pop, lean trucks on heelside when popping to prevent from flipping, if you can't get your body around in time try look at the nose of your board the whole time it helps with getting your head and shoulders around quickly.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 12:28:20 PM »
This trick fucks me up. I can 3flip and 3 shuv. I can fakie big spin both ways. I can do them on transition. but on flat, I can get the board and my body do to everything almost correct but the board always ends up behind me and rolling in the wrong direction...

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 12:50:11 PM »
Never understood these, my feet want to stay glued to the board every time I pop for it. Just like anything, its looks so easy when people have em on lock

Should give em another shot...
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 01:29:42 PM »
I can only kinda control them if do the ba wrap

davy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 01:30:46 PM »
Helps if you can 3shuv. Feet close together. Make sure you hit the tail when you pop, lean trucks on heelside when popping to prevent from flipping, if you can't get your body around in time try look at the nose of your board the whole time it helps with getting your head and shoulders around quickly.

I'll be thinking about leaning on the heelside when I try these today. The board always flips when I try this one.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 03:30:18 PM »
yeah bigspins are fucked. bigflip is so much easier for me. i've had so many people try to teach me how to keep them flat, and sometimes with a lot of effort i can stop it from flipping but then i don't jump properly and end up putting my back foot on the ground too soon
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 02:37:54 AM »

Thanks for this, made sense straight away.
Couldn’t get it, but atleast it’s something to work with.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 07:28:47 AM »
No joke: Learn bigflips first, much more intuitive and easy if you can 3flip. Then do it without flipping by popping in the middle of the tail instead of on the edge like 3flips. That's how I learned them without ever really putting any work in.
I can't really 3shuv btw, this technique does not work from 3flip to 3shuv for me.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 07:42:01 AM »
Just keep your eyes on the bolts
try to be with your weight over you back heel for backside.

If it's getting hard to capture you leaning too far forward upon pop.

Try to lift your chin a little and lean back to keeps it under you.

Fs is easier.

All you gotta remember there is push it forward not scooping away.

I was having trouble with the trick when coming back 2016. I saw Mark do one in DC at Pulaski. I instantly had it back.

I feel like if you wanna see how to learn a trick Mark's the one to study.

He never Hail Mary's. Everything Mark does on a skateboard clearly has been thought about to the point of automation
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 02:52:25 AM »
If you guys have some advice for FS Big spin ?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 03:34:47 AM »
A friend who has regular ones on lock told me to start turning you upper body way before you pop.

I don't have them though

Sw I find much easier (on smooth flat)

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2023, 10:41:32 AM »
If you guys have some advice for FS Big spin ?

Front shove stance but with slightly more open shoulders and ready to unwind like on a frontside 180 ollie on flat and then you pop the hell out of the motherfucker. You want the center of your tail to smack the ground hard. Back foot has the role of helping push through the pop itself and send the board around 360, just like switch ones (like I think a Kingpin Trick Tip guide in 2004 said, but it's a great analogy) it should feel like passing a ball from your back foot to your front foot and that's how you catch it at the peak.

Regular to me is a lot easier when my back foot pushes through the trick the whole way around like a frontside impossible except you're turning your body. You do that by scraping over popping but otherwise is the same technique.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2023, 01:19:36 AM »
Thanks @silhouette
I lately/recently understood the popping hard into the ground aspect. It worked to pop fakie bigspins.
I’ll try later today !

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 12:06:04 AM »
BS bigspins finally clicked for me once I started facing backside before popping. Somehow frontside ones feel way more natural for me though.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 95
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2023, 05:27:19 PM »
Can’t fs big spin at all but I figured something out with backside. I do too many impossibles and my friend told me to try a bs180 impossible. I went for it and did my first bigspin. I just put my foot in the pocket, ball of the foot almost covering the back bolts and go to do an impossible and rotate and it works almost every time. Before I couldnt do them without flipping the board but doing the impossible motion keeps the board from flipping and keeps it under me

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2023, 11:18:14 PM »
i watched the one dick rizzo did in the new bronze video and it kinda clicked for me, it's more back 180 than it is 3 shuv if that makes sense.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 77
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 11:42:46 PM »
this is one of my most comfy tricks. I think when I learned them I was going up a bank at a skatepark that had flat at the top. It was wooden so I could get away with skirting them around just to become familiar with the motion at first.

I think a lot of the struggle comes with figuring out how to rotate it fully unlike the fakie bigspin that’s typically more of a fakie shuv with a pivot, I think if you think of alley ooping the trick a bit it helps with keeping the board underneath you.

the way you slide your back foot is somewhat similar to a 360° flip. it’s like a quick swipe. I think it can be scary to try to jump on because it’s a trick that can easily get out from underneath you when you’re landing on it so try to land sturdy

but yeah, I really try to swipe my back foot in a way that propels the board forwards with those toes, similar to the scoop of the 360° flip, it’s like you’re trying to swipe a straight streak into the dirt or something.

my favorite trick maybe