Author Topic: Kickflip nosemanny/nosegrind  (Read 896 times)

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
Kickflip nosemanny/nosegrind
« on: September 24, 2022, 12:09:45 PM »
Sup Pals,

I am looking for some advice/help to get both of these tricks down on a ledge. Always wanted to learn a kickflip fs nosegrind but never did. Now I am facing the dreadful 40ies and would like to at least try some.
Before attempting the nosegrind I thought I should get flip nosemanny down constantly. Been trying that on a low manny pad for a while now (maybe too low?), I am super close but havent landed one. I can kickflip onto the pad 49/50 times. My flick is ok, not the prettiest but it is leveled and I can land bolts on the pad. When I lean a bit forward I would have my front foot in the pocket just like a regular nosemanny but I would ALWAYS tic my back truck on the pad for a split-second before nosemannying the rest of it. Like I would need to ensure myself that I am safe and can now nosemanny it. So I feel like I am very close. Weirdly enough, when I convince myself to lean more forward, my front foot would end up everywhere on the nose but the pocket where I want it to be. It almost feels like I have to do a different kickflip as the center of my weight has to shift forward. What's the trick to it? Push front foot down after the catch? I cannot really put my finger on the problem and thought one of might have a solution. Thank you for reading and maybe you want to chime in.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Kickflip nosemanny/nosegrind
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »
Just some things:
There's two main ways to do it. Kickflip catch then direct the board into nosemanny as if from an Ollie or kickflip and kind of trap the board into the manual. This is done by just not letting your back foot get low enough for the back wheels to touch down. Back wheels tapping then board popping back up to back foot can happen time to time this way tho.

Can you kickflip back nosegrind? Most people find that easier than frontside. Frontside really needs the pop flip catch then direct the board into nosegrind style, backside you can just flip it on.
Nosegrind isn't necessarily harder than manual because you can let the nose touch down for a second (or the entire time if that's more your style)
That's about all I know.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 05:30:50 PM »
Sup Pals,

I am looking for some advice/help to get both of these tricks down on a ledge. Always wanted to learn a kickflip fs nosegrind but never did. Now I am facing the dreadful 40ies and would like to at least try some.
Before attempting the nosegrind I thought I should get flip nosemanny down constantly. Been trying that on a low manny pad for a while now (maybe too low?), I am super close but havent landed one. I can kickflip onto the pad 49/50 times. My flick is ok, not the prettiest but it is leveled and I can land bolts on the pad. When I lean a bit forward I would have my front foot in the pocket just like a regular nosemanny but I would ALWAYS tic my back truck on the pad for a split-second before nosemannying the rest of it. Like I would need to ensure myself that I am safe and can now nosemanny it. So I feel like I am very close. Weirdly enough, when I convince myself to lean more forward, my front foot would end up everywhere on the nose but the pocket where I want it to be. It almost feels like I have to do a different kickflip as the center of my weight has to shift forward. What's the trick to it? Push front foot down after the catch? I cannot really put my finger on the problem and thought one of might have a solution. Thank you for reading and maybe you want to chime in.

Here's my tip for kickflip nose manuals that may or may not help you. I have in the past found myself in the same situation where I kickflip perfectly onto the pad every time, but can't seem to land balanced, or in the right position.

What I've discovered is that I was too good at adjusting the height of the kickflip to just barely get onto the pad. I thought minimizing impact and keeping it as smooth as possible would help, but now I believe it works against you. Think about it, a nose manual (or nose grind) is best when you pop and place those wheels down with a little confidence. Being too gentle and close to hitting the edge makes it dodgy.

So when you add a kickflip, you actually want to pop it a bit higher and give yourself a bit more time to see the board come around, and adjust the angle for a nose manual. You don't suck at nose manuals (or nose grinds) , so don't worry about that part. Focus on catching a controlled kickflip, and the rest should fall in place eventually.

Additional comments:
  • Nose manuals on low pads are impossible and has never been done by anyone.
  • Keep those shoulders square like you just don't care.
  • kickflip to frontside nosegrind? bruh.

devils acrobat

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »
Thanks to both of you! What I take home from both your responses is to flip higher and force it down while keeping the back foot higher. Makes total sense, lets see how it goes.
@Mean salto: I do want that pop flip catch because thats what makes the flip fs nosegrind much more interesting to me than the bs nosegrind.
@jimgrude: lol yes, low manual pads suck so bad. Need to find a better suited one.

Thanks for the input, will come back once I made progress. Or not.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 12:32:29 PM »
knee high ledge with angle iron preferably is your best bet for flipping into grinds. come at the same angle for front 5050 as youre catching the kf push down and blance out into the nosegrind posture as youre coming down on top of the ledge and make sure not to lean forward at all better to screw it up and end up in 5050 than get pitched forward. you got this i believe in you

devils acrobat

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 05:02:42 AM »
Holy shit guys, it worked! Landed a couple of kickflip manuals on this low pad. Still far from having it on lock but it feels like I can get there. Popping higher and pushing down did the trick. 

Thanks also to @sacking rails for the tips and kind words. Maybe I am in a weird place emotionally but hearing that a complete stranger believes in me made me feel much better about approaching the nosegrind.

SLAP at its best: crew love is true love
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:36:33 AM by devils acrobat »

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 10:36:19 PM »
Grats bruh!
Yeah, Slap pals are all about supporting one another. We all suck hard, but with our powers combined, we can rip vicariously through each other. Now I don't have to worry about doing kickflip mannys for a while.

I still don't don't believe you did it on a low pad tho.

devils acrobat

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 12:18:57 PM »
Thanks dude. Well, maybe I can get a clip some day to prove that it is indeed possible to get shit done on these too low manny pads  ;)