Author Topic: Moving to Mass/NH/RI area  (Read 564 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Moving to Mass/NH/RI area
« on: September 25, 2022, 04:10:00 PM »
Chances are my girlfriend son and myself are moving to NH mass area in the end of January.
Unless something falls through.

Anyone have suggestions on affordable safe areas to look for houses? Also if there’s any machinist machine operator jobs you know of that would be cool. My girlfriend job is going from remote to not remote so we’re Moving and she’s the bread winner so I’m moving.

Also if anyone wants to kick with a 37 year old that isn’t very good at skating but I can bring beer or pizza I’d love to have people to hang with.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
Re: Moving to Mass/NH/RI area
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 04:50:46 PM »
Check out Haverhill MA. I stayed there on business and thought…I could live here.

For machinist jobs you should do well. Worcester is not to far from NH and it’s a pretty big and industrial city.

Also their are industrial jobs in Leominster and Fitchburg area.

I think that area is pretty nice to live in, but a bit cold and dull in the winter, but most places on the east coast are.

Should be tons of crust spots.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 04:57:47 PM »
Check out Haverhill MA. I stayed there on business and thought…I could live here.

For machinist jobs you should do well. Worcester is not to far from NH and it’s a pretty big and industrial city.

Also their are industrial jobs in Leominster and Fitchburg area.

I think that area is pretty nice to live in, but a bit cold and dull in the winter, but most places on the east coast are.

Should be tons of crust spots.

Awesome thank you so much I appreciate it. My girlfriends boss lives in Fitchburg or near it. Cause I know we looked at some places there.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 06:54:28 PM »
Stay away from the greater Boston area, as it is one of the most expensive housing markets in the country. New England is a weird vibe if you’re from out of the area—we can come across as “less friendly” than the rest of the country. But get beyond that layer, and there are solid people here.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 06:56:56 PM »
Be forewarned that although there are beautiful and dope nature spots in NH, it is overwhelmingly MAGA land and has been since before MAGA was a thing. Social services are nearly nonexistent. IMO, that part of Central MA, Worcester, Haverhill, Fitchburg etc, arent where I'd wanna live either. Washed out, post industrial and flooded with fentanyl/dope. You could however live in Franklin county MA (greenfield and all that) and commute depending on where in NH you're gonna be. I've got friends who commute to Keene from there and its a 40min drive. I highly doubt you'd get into a union machine shop in NH either, MA may be better as far as that goes.

Regarding garden skaters comment, it is indeed dull and gray all winter, hence the suggestion to move into further western MA where you can hike, snowshoe, etc. I'll prob be moving back to home new England again on the next few years and that's where I'll be headed, SE VT or W MA.

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »
Be forewarned that although there are beautiful and dope nature spots in NH, it is overwhelmingly MAGA land and has been since before MAGA was a thing. Social services are nearly nonexistent. IMO, that part of Central MA, Worcester, Haverhill, Fitchburg etc, arent where I'd wanna live either. Washed out, post industrial and flooded with fentanyl/dope. You could however live in Franklin county MA (greenfield and all that) and commute depending on where in NH you're gonna be. I've got friends who commute to Keene from there and its a 40min drive. I highly doubt you'd get into a union machine shop in NH either, MA may be better as far as that goes.

Regarding garden skaters comment, it is indeed dull and gray all winter, hence the suggestion to move into further western MA where you can hike, snowshoe, etc. I'll prob be moving back to home new England again on the next few years and that's where I'll be headed, SE VT or W MA.

This is SOLID advice. And the pic of me in my sig file is direct testament to the cold, wet winters; Look for parking garages. :)

GRAPE EATER

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 08:56:06 PM »
Chances are my girlfriend son and myself are moving to NH mass area in the end of January.

Anyone have suggestions on affordable safe areas to look for houses? Also if there’s any machinist machine operator jobs you know of that would be cool. My girlfriend job is going from remote to not remote so we’re Moving and she’s the bread winner so I’m moving.

Also if anyone wants to kick with a 37 year old that isn’t very good at skating but I can bring beer or pizza I’d love to have people to hang with.

There's a decently nice skatepark in Gardner, 20 minutes from Fitchburg. What city will your girlfriend be working in? You mentioned that the boss lives in Fitchburg, is that where the office is?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 09:49:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's a decently nice skatepark in Gardner, 20 minutes from Fitchburg. What city will your girlfriend be working in? You mentioned that the boss lives in Fitchburg, is that where the office is?

That bowl…

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 05:14:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The office is in Boston I think. She works remote but they now have to be with in so many miles of their office. I think like 45min or an hour  drive is what she said and eventually they will go to the office daily.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 05:17:39 AM »

Damn I’m from Tulsa and was hoping I’d be escaping the maga shit.

Sam Alone

• Rep: 9
    • Orchard avatar image
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 03:47:00 PM »
Lots of good input here for sure, but it’s definitely an expensive housing market pretty much in any direction 45 minutes from Boston.
Check out some towns in the MetroWest area.  We bought a house in Framingham about 3 years back after 12+ years in Boston and it’s not too bad out here. Steady burbs life but lots of greenery and outdoors stuff to do.
25 minutes to town with no traffic, but a solid hour back with traffic 2-7pm.  Handful of decent skate spots & parks within 15-20 minutes too.
Right on the mass pike (90) for anything East/West and right by 495 to get to NH/RI or the cape.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

bro new england is lowkey MAGA as fuck. not in the same way as Tulsa is probably, in that they're less bold than folks in the south or midwest, but most white people I know from where I grew up most definitely are of that camp.

If you've gotta be within 45 minutes of Boston, the market is kinda rough from what I hear. I grew up 45 minutes SE of Boston, 30 minutes from Providence RI. Although it's not awesome, I kinda dig that area more than central mass or the areas directly north or west of Boston. Gotta get like 90 minutes NW for it to be pleasant IME. IDK what it's like, but like right outside the city, Waltham and Watertown are alright. Really kinda depends on what you'r willing to spend. I'm looking at Zillow rn and i've been away from there for a long as time, but fuck me if those prices aren't crazy. Jesus Christ Almighty.

Lots of people live off and around Rt24 and Rt138, which runs into and south of Boston, towns like Stoughton, Canton, Sharon, Bridgewater, Taunton etc down into RI. New Bedford MA might be a little further out, but it's the dopest little city in the state, with good food, music, and one of the sweetest core skate shop/scenes in new england (solstice). Commuter Rail/MBTA access is something to consider if she's gonna be commuting into town too. IDK man, sorry, I'm getting tangential and you're talking about moving North anyways.

I could be wrong, but although NH has no income tax, I believe that you will still be taxed by MA due to working there. 

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 10:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

bro new england is lowkey MAGA as fuck. not in the same way as Tulsa is probably, in that they're less bold than folks in the south or midwest, but most white people I know from where I grew up most definitely are of that camp.

If you've gotta be within 45 minutes of Boston, the market is kinda rough from what I hear. I grew up 45 minutes SE of Boston, 30 minutes from Providence RI. Although it's not awesome, I kinda dig that area more than central mass or the areas directly north or west of Boston. Gotta get like 90 minutes NW for it to be pleasant IME. IDK what it's like, but like right outside the city, Waltham and Watertown are alright. Really kinda depends on what you'r willing to spend. I'm looking at Zillow rn and i've been away from there for a long as time, but fuck me if those prices aren't crazy. Jesus Christ Almighty.

Lots of people live off and around Rt24 and Rt138, which runs into and south of Boston, towns like Stoughton, Canton, Sharon, Bridgewater, Taunton etc down into RI. New Bedford MA might be a little further out, but it's the dopest little city in the state, with good food, music, and one of the sweetest core skate shop/scenes in new england (solstice). Commuter Rail/MBTA access is something to consider if she's gonna be commuting into town too. IDK man, sorry, I'm getting tangential and you're talking about moving North anyways.

I could be wrong, but although NH has no income tax, I believe that you will still be taxed by MA due to working there.

How far did you grow up from Pink Eye Village?

My friend from Middleboro just told me about the people from Lakeville. Sounds like a horror film.

South Shore definitely has a different feel. I wonder if Plymouth might be a good place to look?

I suggested North Shore because I assumed commuting to Boston would be easier. I always felt a little more bogged down in traffic south of Boston than North of Boston.

New Bedford has that one street with a slant bank and the old factories are really cool. I wonder if any of them have been turned into Condos. I visited a company that was renting a section for their factory and begin inside one of those buildings was very memorable.

Being from NJ I always feel at home in MA.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 12:20:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

How far did you grow up from Pink Eye Village?

My friend from Middleboro just told me about the people from Lakeville. Sounds like a horror film.

South Shore definitely has a different feel. I wonder if Plymouth might be a good place to look?

I suggested North Shore because I assumed commuting to Boston would be easier. I always felt a little more bogged down in traffic south of Boston than North of Boston.

New Bedford has that one street with a slant bank and the old factories are really cool. I wonder if any of them have been turned into Condos. I visited a company that was renting a section for their factory and begin inside one of those buildings was very memorable.

Being from NJ I always feel at home in MA.

lol pink eye village. fucking turner street, doggie dog. without outing myself, i wasn't too too far from there. middleboro had a wooden park before the prefab one that we used to skate. TBH, Lakeville isn't any better or worse than middleboro. maybe a little more inbred but, i don't know... That's funny, someone form middleboro shitting on lakeville. they're both pink-eye AF. i love hearing it from someone else! that whole almost the cape, plymouth county area is full of what we called "juckets." Small fuckin world man. @Seventyfuhkinseven knows about the 508 some real good skaters came out of that pocket, imo, largely in part to Solstice being a thing in new beige.

But I think there's some condos that have been thrown up in New Bedford factories. We had factories where I grew up and used to get inside em and fuck around. One had a pretty sweet QP to fly out when i was first starting to skate. But ya, if i was moving back to the south coast, it would be New Bedford-ish. Not in the city, but around it for sure. There's a sick DIY under a bridge and all that.

Plymouth is very, very expensive these days from what I'm hearing from family. All of it is. Even shit hole Taunton is seeing houses sell for close to 3/4 million at points. WTF.

And I think you're right about less traffic north of Boston, it's just not my scene  :o :o :o