Author Topic: "china gap"  (Read 1374 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
"china gap"
« on: September 28, 2022, 02:13:29 AM »
recently a bank to bank with a gap in the middle got built at a local DIY, and people have taken to calling it a china gap. any of you guys ever heard this term? i hadn't up until it was built, did some googling and there's a handful of people using it, but really not that prominently. only logical conclusion we came to was maybe people started using it after dway gapped the great wall.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: "china gap"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 02:39:53 AM »
Maybe in reference to that red brick spot ?

https://youtu.be/i0GXj5pFpLU?t=1322

22 mins in

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 03:25:35 AM »
I just recently started hearing this term and I’m not a fan. I’ll always just call it like an alligator gap or some shit
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 03:31:14 AM »
Bank to bank, kicker to kicker, wedge to wedge. Many many more this is actually probably the oldest type of gap in existence so why suddenly give it a new name based on one random specific thing?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 04:18:21 AM »
heard it here aswell, but only if there is no flat between the kickers/ back truck clipping potential. has been called that for 15 years or so, so not all that recent.

maybe a play on "euro gap" (which is called "wembley gap" over here)

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 04:38:41 AM »
i dont dig it sounds racist

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 04:50:13 AM »
I’ve heard “channel” gap… sounds kinda like “china”.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 05:14:46 AM »
There was awhile where I heard people call pretty much any grindable bank a "China bank" so maybe it's expanded to just any adjacent obstacle.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 05:41:04 AM »
Probably named for that brick bank-to-bank in China that was heavily featured in Fully Flared and other videos from the late aughts to early ‘10’s. Not what I could call it but doesn’t seem racist. The Chinese ollie however does feel racist, because you need a chink (crack) in the ground to pop off of.

Also, next to an a-frame rail, the bank-to-bank with a gap in the middle is the worst obstacle at a skate park.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 08:48:02 AM »
I've never heard anyone call anything a china gap, but I also don't skate skateparks much. It's a questionable name in my humble opinion.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 03:40:16 PM »
I've used this term for years now. I thought it was a common skate term.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 09:48:56 PM »
Probably named for that brick bank-to-bank in China that was heavily featured in Fully Flared and other videos from the late aughts to early ‘10’s.

Exactly this.

Please explain. Is "china banks" racist too? Are all country names racist or just china?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 12:37:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Probably named for that brick bank-to-bank in China that was heavily featured in Fully Flared and other videos from the late aughts to early ‘10’s.
[close]

Exactly this.

Expand Quote
[close]
Please explain. Is "china banks" racist too? Are all country names racist or just china?
Depends what's currently going on in the world. The Russian boneless has been renamed the Swedish boneless.

Jokes aside I think they may be going off of the "Chinese Ollie/nollie" which much like the gay/les twists wasn't coming from a place of respect but was a plain insult.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 05:45:32 AM »
The term "Chinese nollie" was coined because it was in essence a "cheap" way to do nollies. I don't know if there's a similar logic with the China gap but that's why people take issue with the trick name.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 08:37:54 AM »
Just skipped through fully flared on my break but couldn't find it. Somebody please post THE china gap

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 09:06:38 AM »
Just skipped through fully flared on my break but couldn't find it. Somebody please post THE china gap
30 second in
https://youtu.be/cU_uzmu8ezI

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2022, 04:03:17 AM »

second post  ::)

22 mins in

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2022, 05:05:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

second post  ::)

Expand Quote

22 mins in
[close]

Well that's embarrassing. Thank you lol

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2022, 07:14:31 AM »
start calling it like "Lotus Gap" or something, that sounds less racist and more gnarly, while still paying homage to it's cultural roots  8)
ONTARIO CANADA

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2022, 07:39:05 AM »
start calling it like "Lotus Gap" or something, that sounds less racist and more gnarly, while still paying homage to it's cultural roots  8)
You'd call it an Evel Knievel gap if you wanted to really pay homage to the culture

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 05:22:43 PM »
still racist

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2022, 09:40:55 PM »
    Off to the camping thread we go en masse.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 10:01:33 PM by m path »
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 09:14:55 AM »
D way apparently did a pretty big gap in China…

m path

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2022, 06:01:16 AM »
Chink Chink was a early 90s trick name and that was mad racist but if you ask me all the other 80's Asian trick names were because of an obvious affinity skateboarding back then had with Asian martial arts, Zen and Haiku.  So many trick names are Asian influenced and many people who are not Asian respect and are fascinated by Asian art, culture and philosophy .  I lived in Asia cumulatively the better part of a year and it was the opposite of culture shock.  So chill. Buddy up there saying Chinese ollie meant 'cheap' is projecting.  That's a reach and a half.  Personally my problem with Asia is the governments, cause they suck, right?  I'm mean I don't like the Canadian one much either but it's convenient for the powers that be to equate criticism of an Asian government with xenophobia.   

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2022, 06:05:05 AM »
Chink Chink was a early 90s trick name and that was mad racist but if you ask me all the other 80's Asian trick names were because of an obvious affinity skateboarding back then had with Asian martial arts, Zen and Haiku.  So many trick names are Asian influenced and many people who are not Asian respect and are fascinated by Asian art, culture and philosophy .  I lived in Asia cumulatively the better part of a year and it was the opposite of culture shock.  So chill. Buddy up there saying Chinese ollie meant 'cheap' is projecting.  That's a reach and a half.  Personally my problem with Asia is the governments, cause they suck, right?  I'm mean I don't like the Canadian one much either but it's convenient for the powers that be to equate criticism of an Asian government with xenophobia.

I always thought that trick name was supposed to be an onomatopoeia. (a poor one at that. "ching-ching" would be better).

m path

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2022, 06:29:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always thought that trick name was supposed to be an onomatopoeia. (a poor one at that. "ching-ching" would be better).
   For sure yes thats how I remember but simultaneously it is an insensitive thing cause the word "chink" is so shitty.  I hate it.  But I suppose the thing I hate is the mentality of poor folk in my hometown who would utter it, which is a prejudice i carry which is not sympathetic to the means they have to be 'educated' or enlightened whatever.  Because of whatever reason there are more and more poor people 2022 all the time and we all must not lean toward dehumanizing anyone even tho it's obviously not crazy to see the moral hazard corporations are presented with (like amazon which has documented bad treatment of their workers).  Dehumanization of the working class allows them to push that envelope further and so they might have interest in promoting the phenom. (I'm just on about 'moral hazard' -its a thing)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:54:31 AM by m path »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2022, 07:21:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
   For sure yes thats how I remember but simultaneously it is an insensitive thing cause the word "chink" is so shitty.  I hate it.  But I suppose the thing I hate is the mentality of poor folk in my hometown who would utter it, which is a prejudice i carry which is not sympathetic to the means they have to be 'educated' or enlightened whatever.  Because of whatever reason there are more and more poor people 2022 all the time and we all must not lean toward dehumanizing anyone even tho it's obviously not crazy to see the moral hazard corporations are presented with (like amazon which has documented bad treatment of their workers).  Dehumanization of the working class allows them to push that envelope further and so they might have interest in promoting the phenom. (I'm just on about 'moral hazard' -its a thing)
Definatly just onomatopoeia. It's used in metal work etc too and phrases like "chink in the armor". That being said people could easily say clink clink or clunk clunk just as easily in a skating setting.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2022, 06:26:46 AM »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)