Author Topic: What are the songs in Skateboard Madness (1980)?  (Read 826 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
What are the songs in Skateboard Madness (1980)?
« on: June 27, 2022, 11:34:51 PM »
If you're into 70s skateboarding, rollerskating, and bad acting, this is a fun watch. Stacey Peralta and Steve Caballero are in it.

The music in this old film is an absolute banger, but the soundtrack isn't listed. The only song listed online is My Wave by Surf Punks.

The music artists in this film are listed in the credits, but searching up their names online doesn't yield any relevant results.

Baron N.Stewart and the Lads
Tuff Tommy
The Big City band
Trek II
Pasquale's Sunday band
John Grigsby

I'm specifically interested in the song played at 50:36, for which I transcribed the lyrics best I could.

You came back, last night

Thought everything would be alright

Got the feeling you'd make love to me

But now, I'm a pawn, you started singing the same old song

[unintelligible]

You keep running

You keep running

You keep running away

What is it I can do to make you want to stay

Wooah Wooah Wooah Wooah Wooah Wooaaaah

You keep running

You keep running away

Now you're back, in the right

Make love to the morning light

Bet you'll never run away again

Not too much, to ask a man

What's his plans for the morning light

When you leave I'll follow again

You keep running

You keep running

You keep running away

What is it I can do to make you want to stay

Wooah Wooah Wooah Wooah Wooah Wooaaaah

You keep running

You keep running away

Any help is appreciated!

Frank and Fred

Re: What are the songs in Skateboard Madness (1980)?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 09:45:49 AM »
Not even Shazam could detect that song for you....

TheDraught

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 01:54:40 AM »
Damn thanks for posting! This was the first skateboarding I ever saw, it was on German television in the late 80s as "Skateboard Fieber" (skateboard fever) and I only saw and managed to tape the last minutes of skating (for instance the plexiglass fullpipe and that epic cartoon at the end.)

For about two years I would religiously check the TV guide every week to see if it would air again but it never did, so this is the first time I can see the whole thing. (Later I discovered a skateshop with a copy of Animal Chin and other skate videos and I lost interest in Skateboard Madness.

I thought it was too obscure for the internet but of course not. Can't help you with the songs I'm afraid but thanks again for the nostalgia.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 10:01:26 AM »
I did a little digging just based on the credits. The director Hal Jepsen was mostly known for surf movies and died in 2006. The credits also list Music Director as Dennis Dragon. Turns out that was one of the dudes from the Surf Punks and he has also passed on. My best guess would be that Dennis already had some kind of relationship with the bands that are on the soundtrack. He also might have been giving them some kind of break with the exposure. Looking up each band didn't produce too much other than references to Skateboard Madness. The songs in this movie are likely to be those bands entire recorded history.

In other words, don't cry cuz it's over. Smile cuz it happened
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 10:25:36 PM »
This was on VHS at my local video store in the mid 80's, of course I rented it more than once.  It's a Hal Jepsen film who did surf films in the 70's including A Sea For Yourself.  A number of tunes from it's soundtrack were used for Skateboard Madness ( and a couple of others were used in Bones Brigade Show).  Most of these tunes were composed by the afforementioned Dennis Dragon(of Surf Punks fame) and his brother Daryl(who was Capatain of Captain and Tenille fame).  If you go to 1:12 in the video you'll hit the ice skateboarding section with the tune Stone Crazy which The Beatnuts sampled(bugged me out when I found out they sampled it), at any rate the whole soundtrack is a good listen-

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lBYd8qIEVTJrQsm88o8MjYsbNaqmOTsEM

Also narrated by Phil Hartman.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 10:43:27 PM by Lester Bullocks »

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 01:27:40 PM »
rollerskating sucks