Author Topic: Justin Sommer Pro for Santa Cruz  (Read 3780 times)

benboardbreaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
Re: Justin Sommer Pro for Santa Cruz
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2022, 12:44:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dont forget about Marcus Jürgensen, as far as I know, he was never pro for an US company, but he surely ripped

He even shared a part with Prime-Smolik in "Manual Labor"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RprFFbyUmaw
[close]
Haha, never heard of him before but I randomly found his interview on monster mag like 2 hours ago. What a coincidence
[close]

I watched this one the other day and practiced my German while watching it. Great skating of Marcus Jürgensen and fun seeing how he looks today.
[close]

mj is cool as fuck. it always makes me happy to see that these dudes still skate. funny story about mj that might just be a myth, but allegedly geoff rowley didn't like him, called him the white n-word in some context or even interview. at the time mj was a known contest machine and looking pretty thugged out and geoff apparently thought that was ridiculuos so he badmouthed him. i'm pretty sure i read the quip, but can't remember the mag. that said mj is a legend and anytime i interacted with him, which wasn't often, he was very nice and polite. he did some crazy shit back in the day, some big rails. there is one pic that i think was a bail tho, but that handrail was gnarly as hell for the time.

all these dudes will never unlearn how to skate, it's so sick. i'm always impressed.

[close]

Man this takes me back. MJ, Eling, Richie, Jan Waage... Hamburg was such a breeding ground for talent back then

Yeah MJ was very hip hop in his clothing style which I liked. I visited Hamburg often since I sold Trap for Richie in the mid nineties here in Denmark. I got to go on skate sessions with the above mentioned dudes in the streets of Hamburg. I can tell you MJ was not just a contest skater.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2022, 02:24:57 AM »
There's only 1 MJ  ;)

Marcus Jürgensen was/is undoubtedly an amazing skateboarder - I remember his switch ollie over a car (London G97?). However, he was immortalised for us in the UK when coming into a hotel room full of English skaters at one of the Euro comps (perhaps looking for rizlas?), fully swagged out in the freshest gear, and when leaving the room he uttered the words "check me out and chill".

Since this day, "check me out and chill" (CMOAC) has been a part of UK skate parlance, to be used whenever you want to big yourself up - perhaps after a particularly rocketed kickflip. Kind of like an ironic self-cheer.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2022, 03:20:29 AM »
There's only 1 MJ  ;)

Marcus Jürgensen was/is undoubtedly an amazing skateboarder - I remember his switch ollie over a car (London G97?). However, he was immortalised for us in the UK when coming into a hotel room full of English skaters at one of the Euro comps (perhaps looking for rizlas?), fully swagged out in the freshest gear, and when leaving the room he uttered the words "check me out and chill".

Since this day, "check me out and chill" (CMOAC) has been a part of UK skate parlance, to be used whenever you want to big yourself up - perhaps after a particularly rocketed kickflip. Kind of like an ironic self-cheer.

that's so awesome. love this story.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2022, 04:07:58 AM »
It's a classic.

I've managed to find an interview with one of the dudes who was present in the hotel room (from Sidewalk mag):

You were also present at the birth of the now legendary ‘check me out and chill’ phrase – what’s the story there?
– (Laughing), I love the fact that I was there! I hear that phrase used everywhere these days! It was Chez, Howard Cooke, Pete Hellicar, Rodney Clarke, Dave Allen, Leo Sharpe and me. We drove from Manchester, picked everyone up along the way and drove to Marseille via various places in France. The first stop was at a big Etnies skate comp in Nantes. Now, the UK has always had a different attitude to skate competitions than the Europeans and every time I’ve been away to a Euro comp it’s been first and foremost to have a bloody good time and then second to try and skate in the comp. Most of the Euro’s at the time were so serious so we basically just took the piss. On this particular occasion there was one guy call Marcus Juergensen who was probably a nice guy but he had such an arrogance about him: the way he skated, and the way he looked – he was just asking for it.
He’d grab his crotch after landing every trick for f*cks sake! Anyhow, he was so sure he’d won that he’d gone back to the hotel to put a brand spanking new outfit on before coming back to get the results. Anyhow, everyone else who placed was quite humble and sprayed their champagne and handed their prizes out to less fortunate kids etc. Old Marcus however went to collect 1st place, looking like a Brian Harvey from East 17 with a Euro twist, and proceeded to posture about the stage like a god, drank his champagne, grabbed his crotch, kept his prizes gave a speech over the mic… it was hilarious and all the UK guys were in f*cking stitches rolling around on the floor crying with laughter. None of the Euro’s knew what was going on. Later on we were all chilling out in one of the hotel rooms when Juergensen knocked on the door to ask for Rizlas, still wearing the same ridiculous outfit – we didn’t have any so he just gave us a wink and uttered the eternal, “it’s ok guys, just check me out and chill” and then trotted himself back down the corridor like some kind of crazy Euro hip hop enigma. Needless to say we were f*cking crying! The rest is history, check me out and chill, never has anyone said anything so perfect…

truthislie

• Rep: 55
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2022, 11:12:16 AM »
As a 90s kid who grew up here in Austria and read MSM I really love this thread. I never met most of the mentioned German skaters but remember all the names. From what I know from the videos Samy Harithi must have been a real legend! The "check me out and chill" phrase had me laughing out loud.

Anyways, congrats to Justin Sommer going pro and thanks for cheering me up with this thread!

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »
It's a classic.

I've managed to find an interview with one of the dudes who was present in the hotel room (from Sidewalk mag):

You were also present at the birth of the now legendary ‘check me out and chill’ phrase – what’s the story there?
– (Laughing), I love the fact that I was there! I hear that phrase used everywhere these days! It was Chez, Howard Cooke, Pete Hellicar, Rodney Clarke, Dave Allen, Leo Sharpe and me. We drove from Manchester, picked everyone up along the way and drove to Marseille via various places in France. The first stop was at a big Etnies skate comp in Nantes. Now, the UK has always had a different attitude to skate competitions than the Europeans and every time I’ve been away to a Euro comp it’s been first and foremost to have a bloody good time and then second to try and skate in the comp. Most of the Euro’s at the time were so serious so we basically just took the piss. On this particular occasion there was one guy call Marcus Juergensen who was probably a nice guy but he had such an arrogance about him: the way he skated, and the way he looked – he was just asking for it.
He’d grab his crotch after landing every trick for f*cks sake! Anyhow, he was so sure he’d won that he’d gone back to the hotel to put a brand spanking new outfit on before coming back to get the results. Anyhow, everyone else who placed was quite humble and sprayed their champagne and handed their prizes out to less fortunate kids etc. Old Marcus however went to collect 1st place, looking like a Brian Harvey from East 17 with a Euro twist, and proceeded to posture about the stage like a god, drank his champagne, grabbed his crotch, kept his prizes gave a speech over the mic… it was hilarious and all the UK guys were in f*cking stitches rolling around on the floor crying with laughter. None of the Euro’s knew what was going on. Later on we were all chilling out in one of the hotel rooms when Juergensen knocked on the door to ask for Rizlas, still wearing the same ridiculous outfit – we didn’t have any so he just gave us a wink and uttered the eternal, “it’s ok guys, just check me out and chill” and then trotted himself back down the corridor like some kind of crazy Euro hip hop enigma. Needless to say we were f*cking crying! The rest is history, check me out and chill, never has anyone said anything so perfect…

I truly hope Juergen (who really is a very nice guy!) lurks here or someone who has his contact points him to this site because I'm sure he will fucking love this.

This and the original story above are one of the best things I've ever read on here, will gnar for days on end