80 (36%)
Polar
117 (52.7%)
Fred
16 (7.2%)
Gall
9 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Author Topic: Sour or Polar?  (Read 4697 times)

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Sour or Polar?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2022, 06:06:26 AM »
Rode both, can't say I'd have a preference for either/or and have stickers from both brands on my car if that means anything.

These days I'm far more hyped on Sour's videos/team but both make good merch, so I'll give it to Sour at the moment.

Now if we are talking SOTS era Pontus, that's a different story...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2022, 06:10:20 AM »
Polar because of Hjalte Halberg. and Dane Brady.

Get hungry on it!

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2022, 06:23:38 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s Sour for me. The team aligns more with my skating than Polar does.
[close]

If that's the criteria then I would pick sour too. I went polar because i was trying to be objective lol.

I do think Polar is more cohesive as a brand. Their boards, art direction, and soft goods are all superior and I prefer HD over VX. The team covers a lot of different styles of skating. Sour is more homogenous and the boards are kinda just meh. The videos are straightforward and traditionally edited while Polar edits are way more creative, almost telling a narrative. But above all of these things the Sour team still wins. It's all about the team for me. I've rewatched all the Sour videos. I own ILIHIMMPDWMTT and I've watched it once. I've only rewatched Hjalte's part from the new video.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2022, 06:58:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

If that's the criteria then I would pick sour too. I went polar because i was trying to be objective lol.
[close]

I do think Polar is more cohesive as a brand. Their boards, art direction, and soft goods are all superior and I prefer HD over VX. The team covers a lot of different styles of skating. Sour is more homogenous and the boards are kinda just meh. The videos are straightforward and traditionally edited while Polar edits are way more creative, almost telling a narrative. But above all of these things the Sour team still wins. It's all about the team for me. I've rewatched all the Sour videos. I own ILIHIMMPDWMTT and I've watched it once. I've only rewatched Hjalte's part from the new video.

I legitimately want to know how long it took you to type that out

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2022, 07:28:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

At least 60 seconds, I had to think it through. One thing I really dislike about Polar are the pretentiously long video titles. Sour Solutions II just rolls off the tongue way better.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2022, 07:41:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

At least 60 seconds, I had to think it through. One thing I really dislike about Polar are the pretentiously long video titles. Sour Solutions II just rolls off the tongue way better.
Just call them like it, blew it and crushing it

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2022, 07:55:51 AM »
Polar cuz they use BBS and Sour uses HLC. I like Polar graphics better also. Overall it seems that Polar produces better quality and more thought out stuff than Sour. I like the Sour team a lot and the videos are great. I would like to support the brand I just never find anything worth buying from them.

Nail hit on the head. Sour's art direction for the logo and graphics aren't actually a million miles from Jart tbh. As someone who's been kind of in and out of the skate world for a past few years it took me a while to actually get behind Sour because of the name and logo, it wasn't until a mate got me to watch one of the videos to make me realise it wasn't a scandi Jart.

But yeah to put it bluntly as an adult I'm not gonna wear a shirt that says Sour cause I just think it's a bit eugh. I'm also still a believer that Polar was one of the driving forces that flipped skateboarding on it's head and made the 2010s a whole lot cooler for skateboarding. I'm not sure there would be a Sour without Polar, and if there was I doubt it'd be as successful or cool.

Vincent Huhta is the truth though and Sour's videos are great.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2022, 08:05:35 AM »
I rode both. Polar was a bit more nice because I love the BBS shapes. The Sour decks were fine but their shapes are a bit confusing. Shape wise, I like Magenta the most but that is another topic. I like all those teams videos and riders. Polar has the more interesting shapes and the woodshop I like the most. I neither own softgoods from Polar or Sour but I have a few things from Magenta.
I have a Polar 8.25 upcoming next and if I like that more as my current Magenta deck, I will stay with Polar.

But if Sour decks in Europe would be BBS... Damn
IG: @flowterspace

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »
Oh yeah, forgot in my first post: Polar is one of the only brands where their hats fit my giant dome without looking goofy. That along with Hjalte makes them the winner.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2022, 12:09:12 PM »
almost or zero?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2022, 12:40:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Overall I'd say Polar since it feels like more of a complete brand/there's more effort going into it. I absolutely adore the Sour team and the videos they put out, but the brand itself is very much like Sk8Mafia. Great crew, but their brand identity/art is basically non-existent. They just shit out decks with the logo on it and call it a day.

My main gripe with Polar though is that I always want nearly everything from their drops, but I can't really justify it because of the price.
[close]

Very good analogy.

Are polars softgoods worth the premium? I don't own any $120 pants, but i have bought $50 tees and $100 sweaters from DIME and havent regretted it.

imo they are worth the premium price. All of Polar's clothes are made in Europe, either in Portugal or Poland, and the quality that you are paying for includes people being paid living wages who are making the clothes, as well as ethically sourced materials , and a higher overall quality garment.

Dime is similar in that most of their clothes are made in Canada, but they do use China and other places to get items made as well. I've noticed a huge quality difference in the stuff I've got from Dime that was made in Canada vs what is made in China though unfortunately.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2022, 12:44:24 PM »
mfs will say anything to justify getting waxed on skate clothes

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2022, 12:57:49 PM »
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2022, 01:17:38 PM »
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2022, 01:43:47 PM »
the one with the peepee pants

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2022, 01:59:34 PM »
mfs will say anything to justify getting waxed on skate clothes

I do work at a skate shop and have never paid full price for any piece of Polar clothing that I've owned. So maybe my perspective would be different if I was paying full price for shit .

I still stand by what I said though, Polar and Magenta use better factories / methods for making their clothes, and what comes of that is higher priced, but more quality clothing, compared to other brands just manufacturing in China.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2022, 02:02:22 PM »
I've been watching the Sour Files lately and am very stoked on them.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2022, 03:46:13 PM »
I was thinking about this question while watching the new Polar video and it is deffinitely a hard one. I like more the polar boards (better wood, better graphics and i quess better shapes), both brands have sick videos i enjoy equally, but i prefer the sour team. I don't buy expensive soft goods so i don't care about this. Overall i think Polar would get more points so i vote Polar.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2022, 03:56:22 PM »
sour. I like sour more by any metric.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1225
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2022, 03:56:33 PM »
the fuck kinda question is this? polar

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2022, 07:22:44 PM »
Cliché before dwindle
Also Fred Gall

sprained_ankle

• Rep: -12
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2022, 10:09:09 PM »
Palace 😈😈😈
hi,am new here

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2022, 10:29:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Overall I'd say Polar since it feels like more of a complete brand/there's more effort going into it. I absolutely adore the Sour team and the videos they put out, but the brand itself is very much like Sk8Mafia. Great crew, but their brand identity/art is basically non-existent. They just shit out decks with the logo on it and call it a day.
My main gripe with Polar though is that I always want nearly everything from their drops, but I can't really justify it because of the price.
[close]
Very good analogy.
Are polars softgoods worth the premium? I don't own any $120 pants, but i have bought $50 tees and $100 sweaters from DIME and havent regretted it.
[close]
imo they are worth the premium price. All of Polar's clothes are made in Europe, either in Portugal or Poland, and the quality that you are paying for includes people being paid living wages who are making the clothes, as well as ethically sourced materials , and a higher overall quality garment.
Dime is similar in that most of their clothes are made in Canada, but they do use China and other places to get items made as well. I've noticed a huge quality difference in the stuff I've got from Dime that was made in Canada vs what is made in China though unfortunately.
SOUR softgood-stuff is also largely made in europe, either spain, portugal or hungary.
i really liked all of the sour decks i had. they're very good, and come at a solid price in europe. but shape- and wood-wise i prefer polar boards over them.
i'm honestly surprised that people really compare jart's graphics to sour's graphics, which are well-thought out, clever, funny, sarcastic/ironical, and original. these are by all means parameters completely absent in jart's graphical output.

exhibit A

bohemian

• Rep: -319
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2022, 11:04:05 PM »
sour <3

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2022, 11:57:46 PM »
I like both and skated decks from both companies, Polar 8.125 shape is very similar to Sour 8.18 shape.
Sour has Gustav and Snape so it is Sour for me.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2022, 12:18:57 AM »
almost impossible to choose, but Pontus featured his penis in the early movies, so I have to give extra points for that!

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2022, 03:30:01 AM »
I love the Sour videos (especially Solution II), but they are not better than the Polar videos.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2022, 06:58:31 AM »

I dunno sounds like you haven't really seen many Sour graphics, they can be a bit hit or miss but some of them are fucking incredible, definitely more on the low-effort, tongue-in-cheek side of things but saying 'They just shit out decks with the logo on it and call it a day' is definitely not true especially in relation to Polar's tried and tested format of 'get Jacob Ovgren to draw something' which seems to be getting progressively more lazy

TBH tho, I don't even really see the point in comparing the two brands they're at pretty opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to pretty much everything.

However, I don't remember Pontus walking round dressed as Jesus and handing out spliffs at the Polar premiere so I'm gonna have to pick Sour

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2022, 07:19:53 AM »
I’ve met both boss dudes, I prefer Gustav over Pontus so Sour it is.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:46 AM »
RDS or Dime?  ;D