Author Topic: Quartersnacks For Carhartt WIP  (Read 2317 times)

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Quartersnacks For Carhartt WIP
« on: October 06, 2022, 07:41:18 AM »

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
Re: Quartersnacks For Carhartt WIP
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 08:29:54 AM »
That was an orthodox intro.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 10:33:54 AM »
is it just me or are some of the clips really choppy?

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 10:55:54 AM »
is it just me or are some of the clips really choppy?

Framerates and filming are all over the place. Songs have been used.

Not going to complain about some Drew/Max footage but seems like it was made by someone that doesn't usually film/edit.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 01:43:02 PM »
big d-roll energy

dr. radishh

• Rep: 77
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 01:50:41 PM »
reminds me of being 15 and making promotional skate edits for companies that didn't really exist in an outdated bootleg version of adobe premiere elements

231st Street

• Rep: -197
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 01:58:41 PM »
Skating into Hasidic Jews on purpose as an opener = lame.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 05:04:18 PM »
That was amazing
Cocteau Twins

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 05:24:38 PM »
what the fuck is up with this 2012 ass song

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 09:30:35 PM »
It’s actually cool. If you live in New York you know those dudes suck. Got nothing but love for my Jewish friends but the Hasidic fellers are ultra conservative dickheads.

231st Street

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 01:29:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It’s actually cool. If you live in New York you know those dudes suck. Got nothing but love for my Jewish friends but the Hasidic fellers are ultra conservative dickheads.

Bro, I live in NY and have lived all over the city/boros, and Hasidic Jews are not physically confrontational and I'm sure weren't trying to block his trick.  Therefore, he's showing off by pushing up on folks he know won't hit back to impress middle America rednecks for a carhartt commercial.  That dude he runs into is likely a teenager, and there is a second holding a little kids hand who has to run out of the way.  Sorry, lame.  I guess they needed something to catch folks' attention as that was a pretty d-roll clip generally, but that was weak as hell.  In my book running into children because they are conservative or a different religion than you definitely is not what street skating in NYC is about, but of course this is a commercial for carhartt so par for the course. 

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 01:42:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Bro, I live in NY and have lived all over the city/boros, and Hasidic Jews are not physically confrontational and I'm sure weren't trying to block his trick.  Therefore, he's showing off by pushing up on folks he know won't hit back to impress middle America rednecks for a carhartt commercial.  That dude he runs into is likely a teenager, and there is a second holding a little kids hand who has to run out of the way.  Sorry, lame.  I guess they needed something to catch folks' attention as that was a pretty d-roll clip generally, but that was weak as hell.  In my book running into children because they are conservative or a different religion than you definitely is not what street skating in NYC is about, but of course this is a commercial for carhartt so par for the course.

Carhartt WIP is a european company and worn primarily by hipsters/hypebeasts/streetwear kids so I don't really think your perspective here makes much sense, "middle America rednecks" buy mainline carhartt from Tractor Supply or Bass Pro Shop and do not even know that WIP exists.

Sorry to split hairs.

Hasidic folks are harmless (as much as a radical/extremist religious group can be) and yeah, they generally stay out of other peoples' business, so it's a pretty shitty move. Yes, I lived in Williamsburg for years and worked next to a hasidic halfway house and matzo factory for years as well, so I've seen it all.

Current Capeless

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 01:47:56 AM »
i dont think max really cared if the people in his runup where jews/black/white/male/female or whatever

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 03:02:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Carhartt WIP is a european company and worn primarily by hipsters/hypebeasts/streetwear kids so I don't really think your perspective here makes much sense, "middle America rednecks" buy mainline carhartt from Tractor Supply or Bass Pro Shop and do not even know that WIP exists.

Sorry to split hairs.

Hasidic folks are harmless (as much as a radical/extremist religious group can be) and yeah, they generally stay out of other peoples' business, so it's a pretty shitty move. Yes, I lived in Williamsburg for years and worked next to a hasidic halfway house and matzo factory for years as well, so I've seen it all.

You differ the both *lines* very good!TY

Carhartt (WIP) started in the early 90s.
Was fast adopted by rappers, graffiti writers, corner boys, skaters etc.
In Europe it was a constant companion through that time. Till this day:)
BMX and Skatin teams were launched at that period.

Music is by the way also a big part. Check this out:
https://www.carhartt-wip.com/en/journal/music/radio

Royce Lopez

• Rep: 8
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 03:09:11 AM »
Skating into Hasidic Jews people on purpose(probably not) as an opener = lame

231st Street

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 03:15:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Skating into Hasidic Jews people on purpose(probably not) as an opener = lame
[close]

Agreed-- I think the fact that they are folks that get attacked regularly in NYC in "random" anti-semetic street attacks (and we know they didn't run in front of him to try to protect the stoop) makes it particularly absurd, but in general its lame and unnecessary.  Williamsburg isn't times square.  To the person above citing Carhartt's Europe stuff or "street cred"-- I'm not a European hype beast, so wasn't aware, but that makes sense as well in terms of the end user for this clip.  Just not what NYC street skating is about IMO, but I'm glad European "b boys" and "corner boys" enjoy it - ha.  Do we think he'd do the same thing to folks in Brownsville or bed stye?  I doubt it, but either way agreed it is unecessary and doesn't add to the trick.  This isn't Tyshawn ollieing over someone on a bike in packed midtown Manhattan, this is a family walking down the street in front of their house.  For what its worth, not trying to get him "cancelled" or start an investigation on the main board ha.  Just my own take.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:06:18 AM by NewRocCity »

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2022, 05:32:09 AM »
Yeah I could do without the ultra-cool guy nearly running into pedestrians on purpose for a kickflip off a tiny bump. It’s super whack, doesn’t matter who the pedestrian is, just wait 2 seconds for them to pass. Nope you gotta barrel right into them only thinking about yourself. Worst trend in skating. Why do skaters insist on acting like dickheads in public?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 05:54:58 AM »
Yeah I could do without the ultra-cool guy nearly running into pedestrians on purpose for a kickflip off a tiny bump. It’s super whack, doesn’t matter who the pedestrian is, just wait 2 seconds for them to pass. Nope you gotta barrel right into them only thinking about yourself. Worst trend in skating. Why do skaters insist on acting like dickheads in public?
Agree with this (grund almost flattens two people in the polar vid also) but there's also stage 2. Why put it in the video? Ok so assume your guy is actually a decent person but had a momentary lapse in judgement and nearly ran into some people, shit happens but then why double down and include it in the edit?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2022, 06:58:22 AM »
You guys are really a bunch of concerned citizens making the world a better place. (See skatepark etiquette thread for more examples)

Max wasn’t going to hit him but then the pedestrian did an unpredictable step to the side and max swerved and brushed him slightly.

Y’all reading a bit too much into that opening clip, it was just a busy street scene not a physical assault. Chill guys.

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2022, 07:32:06 AM »
holy shit are you guys gonna cry

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 08:09:32 AM »
Max is an antisemite, confirmed.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

231st Street

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2022, 09:18:24 AM »

I just think it is a bad look and I've explained why.  As one person said above, its one thing to do it in the moment as you are skating hard, another for whoever produced this video to use it to try to get European hype beasts amped up and interested as the opening clip.  I dont think its a great look.  That is all. Not looking to cancel anyone. 

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2022, 09:29:29 AM »

If your goal is to look like a complete tool, sounds like you guys are crushing it

231st Street

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2023, 05:39:49 AM »
Bump for video being private :)

Post Alone

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2023, 06:20:18 AM »
European hypebeasts & Streetwear LOL
It's a nice clothing company that make proper fitting clothes with clean cuts.

231st Street

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2023, 06:27:38 AM »

Nice-- you are lucky I don't know how to negative karma you back.   8) :o. Kidding- all in good fun!

Post Alone

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2023, 06:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice-- you are lucky I don't know how to negative karma you back.   8) :o. Kidding- all in good fun!

Haha, for sure! I'm sure someone will get me  ;)