Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY  (Read 65857 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2022, 02:49:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tyshawn reminds me of Reese Forbes added with Stevies style / tech. I can’t shake the feeling if he was some white kid that rode for anti hero, his skating wouldn’t be as questioned or criticized.
[close]

You have just described Grant Taylor.
[close]

Are you just naming white dudes? GT is nothing like Tyshawn

TJ is gonna switch back tail up a handrail at some point. He’s gonna put out a part where he does some switch grinds up rails, that’s the new frontier for his skating, you heard it here first
[close]
no one will ever switch back tail up a street rail what the fuck are you smoking this isnt thps

Considering the switch back tails Tiago has already done, someone could absolutely switch back tail up a handrail one day. Probably a mellow stairset but still for sure could be done, just doesn't have to be anything like Wilshire of course

veritas

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2022, 04:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tyshawn reminds me of Reese Forbes added with Stevies style / tech. I can’t shake the feeling if he was some white kid that rode for anti hero, his skating wouldn’t be as questioned or criticized.
[close]

what a ridiculous thing to say. he won soty
[close]

Expand Quote

Do people actually question and criticize tyshawn’s skating? Why? What the fuck is there to critique? Besides the fact that he too damn good at skateboarding… ok…having anything  negative to say about tyshawn’s skateboarding is far more fucking bizarre and confusing than it is to compare a resemblance to Reese Forbes and tyshawn, I can wrap my head around that concept and see the merit in it. But to criticize anything tyshawn produces on a skateboard is just a flat out stupid interpretation, people need to lay off the glue sniffing.
[close]

You guys should read through more Tyshawn threads on Slap, every time a topic is about TJ there's haters on slap criticizing his character, skating, lack of footage, and it's way more apparent than the amount of criticism other skaters of his skill level receives. It's like people want to discredit him any way they can and it's so obvious.

Favorite dimwitted Tyshawn critique on here - “wears durags and isn’t classy” lmao some folks can’t stand that he’s a one of a kind talent

work_lurker

• Rep: 68
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »
I saw Tyshawn do a nollie heel, and let me say, I would not be upset if he was our SOTY.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2022, 06:57:08 PM »

Who is there?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 493
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2022, 04:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

TJ is gonna switch back tail up a handrail at some point. He’s gonna put out a part where he does some switch grinds up rails, that’s the new frontier for his skating, you heard it here first
[close]
no one will ever switch back tail up a street rail what the fuck are you smoking this isnt thps
[close]

Honestly, I could see tyshawn doing it, a long with plenty of ridiculous shit that dosent seem possible. 10-15 years ago, if you told me that one day someone was going to kickflip an LA school picnic table the long way on flat I would’ve told you to stop smoking crack and that it’ll never happen. Yet here we are, and it looked like it was nothing for him. There are a few mellow street rails out there that could potentially be SS/BS//TS up, like that 3 or 4 stair rail that westgate back smithed up
(I think it’s in San Jose or somewhere in that same Northern California area) I don’t think that it’s completely out of the question and we’re not talking about a switch back tail up the Hollywood high 16.
[close]
i get what youre saying man but doing a switch grind up a handrail is not based in reality. sw back board down a rail is super fucking hard even.
[close]

I get that, I’m just saying that I don’t think the idea is completely out of the realm of reality, it’s definitely far fetched but there’s a few dudes out there that can pop a switch tail up on ridiculously high ledges, so with the right handrail there’s a few people who pop it high enough to get on it, but finding the momentum to carry the slide up a handrail, even a really mellow one is definitely in the realm of hard to imagine it being possible. But you never know. I’ve seen some really stupid shit over the past 15 years that I never thought would be possible..

Side question- what’s the most amount of stairs that’s been ollied up? I remember seeing a skateboarder magazine cover with someone ollieing up a long 6 or 7 stair set. I can’t remember the name of the person who had the cover, I’ve tried to search to find that skateboarder cover but I can’t find it because I don’t remember the person’s names that did it.
[close]
Its gotta be a 9. People go up 6 all the time, I think Brophy 180 up an 7 a real long while back but I guess it's not something people go out their way to do too often. What happened to that Miquel haddox guy? Think he halfcab flipped up a 6 he could def Ollie way higher.
As far as switch back tail up a rail I'm sure there's plenty of rails tyshawn could make it work on. Prob wouldn't look great but he could come out early and prob still clear the top step. Doesn't necessarily have to go all the way up and over the top of the rail.
[close]

That stair set Ollie I was talking about was on the cover of skateboarder magazine quite a few years ago I think, it looked like an east coast spot (outdoor basketball or a city park?) the stairs were long and pretty mellow. I just wish I could remember the guy’s name who did it because I’ve trying to search for the picture of for awhile now, I think some blue painted walls in the background of the photo. Damn! I wish I could remember. Does any of that ring a bell for any of you guys! I gotta figure it out.

Maybe this is what you're thinking
https://issuu.com/focusskatemag/docs/focus_08-06_issuu

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2022, 04:44:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Honestly, I could see tyshawn doing it, a long with plenty of ridiculous shit that dosent seem possible. 10-15 years ago, if you told me that one day someone was going to kickflip an LA school picnic table the long way on flat I would’ve told you to stop smoking crack and that it’ll never happen. Yet here we are, and it looked like it was nothing for him. There are a few mellow street rails out there that could potentially be SS/BS//TS up, like that 3 or 4 stair rail that westgate back smithed up
(I think it’s in San Jose or somewhere in that same Northern California area) I don’t think that it’s completely out of the question and we’re not talking about a switch back tail up the Hollywood high 16.
[close]
i get what youre saying man but doing a switch grind up a handrail is not based in reality. sw back board down a rail is super fucking hard even.
[close]

I get that, I’m just saying that I don’t think the idea is completely out of the realm of reality, it’s definitely far fetched but there’s a few dudes out there that can pop a switch tail up on ridiculously high ledges, so with the right handrail there’s a few people who pop it high enough to get on it, but finding the momentum to carry the slide up a handrail, even a really mellow one is definitely in the realm of hard to imagine it being possible. But you never know. I’ve seen some really stupid shit over the past 15 years that I never thought would be possible..

Side question- what’s the most amount of stairs that’s been ollied up? I remember seeing a skateboarder magazine cover with someone ollieing up a long 6 or 7 stair set. I can’t remember the name of the person who had the cover, I’ve tried to search to find that skateboarder cover but I can’t find it because I don’t remember the person’s names that did it.
[close]
Its gotta be a 9. People go up 6 all the time, I think Brophy 180 up an 7 a real long while back but I guess it's not something people go out their way to do too often. What happened to that Miquel haddox guy? Think he halfcab flipped up a 6 he could def Ollie way higher.
As far as switch back tail up a rail I'm sure there's plenty of rails tyshawn could make it work on. Prob wouldn't look great but he could come out early and prob still clear the top step. Doesn't necessarily have to go all the way up and over the top of the rail.
[close]

That stair set Ollie I was talking about was on the cover of skateboarder magazine quite a few years ago I think, it looked like an east coast spot (outdoor basketball or a city park?) the stairs were long and pretty mellow. I just wish I could remember the guy’s name who did it because I’ve trying to search for the picture of for awhile now, I think some blue painted walls in the background of the photo. Damn! I wish I could remember. Does any of that ring a bell for any of you guys! I gotta figure it out.
[close]

Maybe this is what you're thinking
https://issuu.com/focusskatemag/docs/focus_08-06_issuu

How the fuck is this possible. I really never realized how high and long people actually jump. Skateboarding is blowing my mind in a new way. It makes sense from a physics point of view of course, just go really fast...But my brain still can't really accept it. Putting a measuring tape on the floor after the tyshawn subway kickflip changed my look on skating

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2022, 08:03:26 AM »

i dont think there is any easier switch trick besides switch fs 180, than switch back board. it is definintely the easiest switch grind, maybe swithc noseslide could be easier, but not on a handrail.

a switch 5050 is harder than a switch board even and that has been done down giant hubbas back in the early 2000s even (carlos ruiz blind what if) also switch back lipped massive stuff. pretty sure switch back lip has been done down hollywood high.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2022, 08:44:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i dont think there is any easier switch trick besides switch fs 180, than switch back board. it is definintely the easiest switch grind, maybe swithc noseslide could be easier, but not on a handrail.

a switch 5050 is harder than a switch board even and that has been done down giant hubbas back in the early 2000s even (carlos ruiz blind what if) also switch back lipped massive stuff. pretty sure switch back lip has been done down hollywood high.

miles silvas did it in his first primitive part

Welpok

• Rep: 12
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2022, 09:04:02 AM »
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2022, 09:17:54 AM »
Heavy. Hopefully we get that subway kickflip footy in the follow-up video.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2022, 09:23:04 AM »
The front blunt and back noseblunt in SF were my favorites. Good stuff

Welpok

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2022, 09:32:03 AM »
The front blunt and back noseblunt in SF were my favorites. Good stuff
I was thinking the same thing. But damn, all the footage was pretty insane. Not going to lie, I was a bit of a skeptic at first but I think I'm turning into a fan of his. Really good part!

boneless900

• Rep: 54
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2022, 09:40:11 AM »
Heavy. Hopefully we get that subway kickflip footy in the follow-up video.

so gnarly that the subway clip isnt even in this part, the "to be continued" got me so hyped that we get more TJ footy this year

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2022, 09:42:28 AM »
Amazing.
But kind of a dick move against Louie... why get so greedy?  esp vs. a FA teammate and vs a good guy whose turn is up?

With all due respect, the two dudes SOTY x2 winners have a douchy competitive drive.

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2022, 09:57:01 AM »
Amazing.
But kind of a dick move against Louie... why get so greedy?  esp vs. a FA teammate and vs a good guy whose turn is up?

With all due respect, the two dudes SOTY x2 winners have a douchy competitive drive.

Dude what?

Mangust

• Rep: -2
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2022, 09:58:17 AM »
It was good but honestly I was still waiting for something more. The single tricks were super heavy but I would've liked to see more street lines and more weird NYC spots. Compared to his parts made by Strobeck this felt more generic and bland. Yet I'm happy that there were less ultra zoomed in shots and zooming into the skaters face before and after the trick. Definately waiting for a possible second part.

Wandalumioshlomo

• Rep: -21
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2022, 09:58:47 AM »
I find people who truly believes that “Evan the poltergeist” was snubbed back in 2018, absolutely pathetic.
I would drink poison if TJ told me to. All hail TJ the 18th king of hell.

• Rep: -30
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2022, 10:00:53 AM »
It's not a dick move against him. the skater who is the best should win it. If you need people to not release parts so you can get it u shouldn't win it

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2022, 10:02:11 AM »
It was good but honestly I was still waiting for something more. The single tricks were super heavy but I would've liked to see more street lines and more weird NYC spots. Compared to his parts made by Strobeck this felt more generic and bland. Yet I'm happy that there were less ultra zoomed in shots and zooming into the skaters face before and after the trick. Definately waiting for a possible second part.

Agreed with the filming. It was competent but basic. Maybe after an entire career working with Strobeck, that’s what he wanted? Definitely hits an in-between spot for me though, and actually makes me realize that I genuinely enjoy Fat Bill’s technique.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pegasus

• Rep: 3
  • release the lobster
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2022, 10:04:20 AM »
Go to the general and save some time!

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »
I find people who truly believes that “Evan the poltergeist” was snubbed back in 2018, absolutely pathetic.
I would drink poison if TJ told me to. All hail TJ the 18th king of hell.

Tyshawn told me to tell you to grab that Drano. Bottoms up soldier!

lesghettah

• Rep: -15
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2022, 10:15:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Amazing.

[close]

So stupid, Louie is amazing but he’s desperately trying to win soty for the second year in a row. As far as I’m concerned Louie was never even in the running this year considering T-Funks part.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2022, 10:17:27 AM »
Amazing.

Not that this matters, but Tyshawn isn't even on FA anymore. He's not supposed to put out parts because another skater on the board brand that he quit a few months ago maybe wants to be SOTY too? Should he just sit on his footage until all the other skaters have had their turn?

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -272
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2022, 10:18:04 AM »
Switch big heel was insane . What a sick fucking part. Fuck the guy telling him not to drop footy because an ex teammate is “making a SOTY push”, what a corny thing to say. Dudes not even on FA anymore

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2022, 10:20:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed with the filming. It was competent but basic. Maybe after an entire career working with Strobeck, that’s what he wanted? Definitely hits an in-between spot for me though, and actually makes me realize that I genuinely enjoy Fat Bill’s technique.

Seeing the skater and the trick > seeing 30% of the skater and the trick
Especially with a skater like Tyshawn, where grasping the spots magnitude is important. Can't even see how high in the air the dude is if you zoom around.
Really glad to see "basic" Tyshawn footage like that. The bs flip was so good

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2022, 10:21:03 AM »

lesghettah

• Rep: -15
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2022, 10:21:56 AM »
Once more Tyshawn footage comes out I think Soty is his, otherwise I think T-Funk is still in the running. Louie needs to have some patience and self restraint if he actually wants to win.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -104
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2022, 10:37:14 AM »
I still feel like I’m missing something with tyshawn - doesn’t do it for me.

I know it’s becoming basically a meme to criticise him…but that switch ollie over the bench wasn’t even straight. Style is wack. Outfits wack. Group hugs wack.

Best thing in that was the line with the bump to bar.

Welpok

« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2022, 10:46:38 AM »
Me to Tyshawn The General: permission to shred sir!