Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY  (Read 66267 times)

SmilingBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
Re: Did he make it this time??
« Reply #330 on: November 22, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »
the best

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2022, 04:29:39 PM »
Mmm kinda drifted.

I kid, for the record I said the first one was fine. Does this have anything to do with the gifted hater vid?

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #332 on: November 22, 2022, 04:30:27 PM »
Gifted Hater has more influence than I thought and that says a lot coming from me

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2022, 04:33:59 PM »
Is gh the only talking head in skateboarding with any influence?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2022, 04:34:33 PM »
The question is:

Did graibe make it this time?

And, with 28 thread topics started in just under a month, that answer is now and forever a resounding "Yes!"
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #335 on: November 22, 2022, 04:36:09 PM »
Not making this a poll
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY
« Reply #336 on: November 22, 2022, 04:36:55 PM »
@lilyung

@Wienerboy
Expand Quote
It's undeniable that TJ is already one of the best to ever do it. There's nothing to discuss about his talent because he's incredibly athletic and jumps higher than almost anyone else, save Antonio Durau or Tiago. This is an assessment of Tyshawn's character.

After Gifted Hater's vidpost today I thought this would be a relevant topic because I'm on a tirade in opposition of giving the 2022 SOTY to Tyshawn Jones.
[close]
A tirade 😂

Expand Quote
Remember when Phelps flew to NYC to present TJ with his SOTY choice? It could just be me, but I thought Thyshawn was completely unenthused and even fairly disrespectful.
[close]
I would venture to say you misread the scenario.

Expand Quote
Tyshawn is the last person to ever receive a SOTY from the man himself, and he acted like he was too cool to care.
[close]
You say this as if he should’ve known he’d be the last to get the SOTY from Phelps?

Expand Quote
I can't find the full vid anymore, and it doesn't seem to be on Thrasher's youtube anymore. I'm not referring to his SOTY party btw, I'm talking about the video where Phelps shows up while TJ is hanging with Mark Gonzales and Strobeck at Houston St. Park. Tyshawn comes off as such a pompous turd in everything from his interviews to his instagram.
[close]
It seems like most SOTY reveals have some elaborate surprise party thing going on.  Phelps just  casually pulled up on him at a spot. Seemed like proportionate reaction and genuinely happy. A surprise is about catching ppl off guard. Some ppl love surprises, some get crippling anxiety.  Some ppl love speaking with a camera in their face some don’t. He’s pompous for not saying yipee kiyay and having some goofy forced reaction? TJ was laughing, smiling, shook Phelps' hand. These are positive social cues in most scenarios. I mean he cried and brought his mom on stage at the SF party. I would imagine most socialized ppl would view that as a wholesome moment

Expand Quote
I was excited to see what he was going to do with his new board company... we waited a long time to see.
[close]
He left FA a few months ago. What's the appropriate wait time window for launching a skate company?

Expand Quote
Some speculated he'd expand Hardies and do a newer version of Shorty's. And then finally he comes out with KING... which, I don't need to explain how expected, egotistical and boring the name is... but additionally the roll-out of KING was so bad it forced them to immediately rebrand and take down their website logo within the first 24 hours of creating and running the page. Plus to me, the fact that he fucks with Nakel Smith so hard is a bummer all by itself.
[close]
Would it have been better if he doubled down and was defensive about the feedback like Illegal Civ has been recently?
Wow TJ actually responded to public feedback and reconsidered smh. Wow trial and error running a business shameful shit right there. Anyone who changes their Instagram avatar for their business should not be allowed to win SOTY!

Expand Quote
Nakel has been a polarizing character, but now he is more than ever. He got his wannabe gangbanger friends to beat up and intimidate Lottie's Skateshop and essentially forced them to shut down. While this is in itself is a very shitty thing to do, I've also personally never been able to watch his footage because he's got such an ugly weasely mug. I can see Nakel's joker-ass becoming the next Jereme Rogers.
[close]
There was more to the Lottie’s beef... The park Lottie’s said not to go to is in a blood neighborhood (a black gang) and beefs heavy with 18 street (rival latino gang) down the street, so clearly there are some racial tensions. The Lottie's dude definitely meant well, and of course the situation could’ve been handled better...  I can see how a rich white dude telling Mexicans not to go a predominantly black neighborhood skatepark could rub ppl the wrong way… It's a little tone def because most ppl at that park aren't gangbangers or racist...  I makes sense how a black person who skate's that park and has Mexican friends to take offense to it...
Anyway I can't understand how a situation that happened well over a year ago, that TJ wasn't even involved with, should carry any weight in Thrasher acknowledging Tyshawn’s accomplishments on a skateboard this year?

Expand Quote
In interviews it has been apparent that Tyshawn is somewhat shallow or low-level thinking.
[close]
Wow.

Expand Quote
Naming Hardies from a game where they punch each other "hard" is an accidental marketing genius idea, but pretty dumb in concept. I think a big part of Hardies' success is their iconic black power fist evoking logo combined with the bolt. We all gotta admit it is a sick ass logo. But what a boring ass origin story of the brand.
[close]
Since when do skate companies need to have some deep meaning behind their names? Most don't.

Expand Quote
I think it's clear that Tyshawn wants to make money off of skateboarding
[close]
To what extent is someone allowed make money off of skateboaridng in your book? Like isnt that the point of being a pro? To live off skatebarding.. Should he have a day job and skate for free? I mean would hope that someone running a skate company and providing for team(s), vendors, and customers would have some level of care for finance.

Expand Quote
and doesn't really care about the history. Otherwise he'd be more honored to have Phelps give him the SOTY in person, or he'd have more to say in interviews about getting the opportunity to hang out with Mark Gonzales.
[close]
He doesn't care about skateboarding history because he doesn't dickride Mark Gonzalez in interviews?
They've been friends for like 10 yrs and share several sponsors. Saying he doesn't respect the Gonz or his legacy seems like a pretty reaching assumprion.

Expand Quote
Gifted Hater's analysis of his switch ollie over the p table has only added to my theory that TJ is an egotripper and cares too much about clout over paying homage to any history or art or rules of skateboarding.
[close]
I've seen that analysis vid... He sw ollied the bench side of a picnic table so he's a cloutchaser/egotripper that doesn't not care for the history or art or rules of skateboarding? I am actually really struggling to follow the logic.

Expand Quote
Because no matter how much we'd hate to admit it, there are a few rules to what flies in the skateboarding industry and what doesn't "pass the vibe-check". Never catch me saying that phrase again. But Tyshawn doesn't really feel like an authentic skateboarder to me.
[close]
Are there any other rules aside from your vague vibe check?

Expand Quote
I think he just wants to win, win, win no matter what with money on his mind - he can't ever get enough.
[close]
Yikes

Expand Quote
Which is rude IMO it's like... dude... money isn't the most important thing in the world...
[close]
Seems like you're projecting maybe? You never really made any actual support to why you think that he only cares about money?

Expand Quote

become humble or something maybe find Jesus like Kanye did.

In short - Tyshawn Jones is a certified asshole and a half.
[close]
Damn so this was really the grand finale to all this? Kanye is was your best example for someone who is humble?
He basically fell off after that Jesus album. That guy lost a billion $ in a week because he needed to share his antisemitic views.

TJ opened a restuarant in a food desert (in the hood getting quality food is often difficult. A lot ppl closest options are McDonald’s and corn syrup/ethanol distribution points aka liquor stores).In doing so he created jobs and invested in the community he's from instead of some gentrified uppity area. Also, they cater free food to ppl with food insecurity... Never read the bible but I'm pretty sure there's some parts about helping others. He throws huge skate jams for the local scene and serves the free food himself. That's not humble or paying homage?

Giving away food for free doesn't really fit your money hungry narcisist image you're tryna paint

@lilyung

Hey fair enough, your post is insightful and you're right. I didn't know some of that information so thanks for checking me. I stand corrected. I wanted to hear some discourse about this dude's like-ability because sometimes I think TJ comes off as a doucher and deserves some hate. After reading what you said I'm down to reassess him and have a more positive image of him. Thanks for articulating the other side of the Lottie's drama too, it also gave me a better perspective. Still don't like Nakel though.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #337 on: November 22, 2022, 04:40:00 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClSGFp0A123/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

guess he went back

Fucken hell. This clip deserves its own thread to end all tyshawn picnic table discussion
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2022, 04:40:30 PM »

I think he just wants to win, win, win no matter what with money on his mind - he can't ever get enough.
Yikes

Which is rude IMO it's like... dude... money isn't the most important thing in the world...
Seems like you're projecting maybe? You never really made any actual support to why you think that he only cares about money?

become humble or something maybe find Jesus like Kanye did.

oh and this stuff was jokes just meant for entertainment purposes. Kanye West clearly isn't Humble, nor does he understand Jesus.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

babyyeezus

• Rep: -7
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
He actually pinned GH’s comment. I hope they had a nice convo about Mikey behind the scenes

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2022, 04:44:57 PM »
Legit

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2022, 04:45:38 PM »
Tyshawn SOTY already. Who tf goes back to redo one of the craziest tricks because haters are talking shit?

Filmer should've just filmed this trick at this angle in the first place.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -144
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2022, 04:50:13 PM »
he def made this one. all in all this switch ollie saga had a good ending

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »
Dudes just got it like that

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #344 on: November 22, 2022, 04:51:37 PM »

Well it's only him and gary rogers and nobody gives a fuck what gary thinks
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #345 on: November 22, 2022, 04:51:58 PM »
Tyshawn filmed this yesterday before GH even dropped his video.
Glad to see him stick it proper, that's what a real one would do. Props.

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #346 on: November 22, 2022, 04:54:14 PM »
tyshawn went live at the school like an hour before posting the clip wearing the exact same outfit, but I guess that was all just an elaborate set up!

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: November 22, 2022, 04:57:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
tyshawn went live at the school like an hour before posting the clip wearing the exact same outfit, but I guess that was all just an elaborate set up!

Ah yeah you're right. At the 14:52 mark of the GH video he shows a pic of Tyshawn back at this spot yesterday but it's a different outfit.

graibe

• Rep: -53
« Reply #348 on: November 22, 2022, 05:00:41 PM »
Not making this a poll
you're right... i definitely fumbled that lmao

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -144
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #349 on: November 22, 2022, 05:02:23 PM »
https://instagram.com/stories/davontejolly/2977491948898042150?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

anyone who says he didnt make this one is stupid at this point

graibe

• Rep: -53
« Reply #350 on: November 22, 2022, 05:03:07 PM »
The question is:

Did graibe make it this time?

And, with 28 thread topics started in just under a month, that answer is now and forever a resounding "Yes!"

yay! :D

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: November 22, 2022, 05:03:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well it's only him and gary rogers and nobody gives a fuck what gary thinks

Gary talks but doesn't say shit

dannyprovolone

« Reply #352 on: November 22, 2022, 05:07:03 PM »
the best part was when he called gifted hater a racist

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: November 22, 2022, 05:09:33 PM »
He must have known the original wasn't legit otherwise he wouldn't have done this one. All's well that ends well but gotta keep an eye on some skaters

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #354 on: November 22, 2022, 05:09:53 PM »
Is that table even smaller?

Jebediah

• Rep: 116
« Reply #355 on: November 22, 2022, 05:11:53 PM »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #356 on: November 22, 2022, 05:12:43 PM »
Completely missed the trashcan

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2022, 05:14:41 PM »

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #358 on: November 22, 2022, 05:27:31 PM »
This the first pro to redo his ender just to shut someone up?

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #359 on: November 22, 2022, 05:31:34 PM »
This the first pro to redo his ender just to shut someone up?

Tyshawn is a straight legend for this. The King blessed us with another switch ollie over the table!