Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY  (Read 65603 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 285
  • often correct
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2022, 05:28:45 AM »
Didnt Evan Smith refuse to get SOTY that year? I think i remember something like that.
Tyshawn is an incredible skater
no, this is one of those things that people more or less made up to disparage TJ:

1. andrew reynolds posts something incredibly vague to his instagram story around this time of the year 2018, like “imagine turning down SOTY! 🤯”
2. evan smith and tyshawn emerge as the two front runners for the award that year
3. when tyshawn wins, everyone who believes this rumor starts claiming that it’s only because evan turned down SOTY and not, you know, the merit of his skating

pretty sure evan’s even said in an interview “no, of course i didn’t turn down soty, why would i do that?” but here we are

Welpok

• Rep: 11
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2022, 05:52:59 AM »
I don’t care who’s SOTY but it seem quaranteed there’s a new Tyshawn part about to drop and I’m so stoked to see it.
Heard he nollie flipped over two cans this time!
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2022, 06:09:33 AM »
So controversial view. To me soty is someone that pops up all over the place, skating everything, , travelling, blasting and inspiring all over. Living skateboarding It's not just about 1 trick, one flash. It's "of the year"...

So to me as fucking rad as he is tyshawn does not fit that description, he didn't really exceed those expectations last time he won and without sounding disrespectful, did you see the year Evan had that year?. This year maybe I don't know but it should be someone that's been blowing minds on all terrain, popping up everywhere... All year long. Sorry!

Name someone more deserving

Bryanferry

• Rep: -43
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2022, 07:49:02 AM »
Ville? Never gonna happen I know but fuck he’s been on a serious tear. Last part in arguably the best video of the year

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2022, 03:49:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Didnt Evan Smith refuse to get SOTY that year? I think i remember something like that.
[close]
no, this is one of those things that people more or less made up to disparage TJ:

1. andrew reynolds posts something incredibly vague to his instagram story around this time of the year 2018, like “imagine turning down SOTY! 🤯”
2. evan smith and tyshawn emerge as the two front runners for the award that year
3. when tyshawn wins, everyone who believes this rumor starts claiming that it’s only because evan turned down SOTY and not, you know, the merit of his skating

pretty sure evan’s even said in an interview “no, of course i didn’t turn down soty, why would i do that?” but here we are

it was also the year jamie foy won

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2022, 06:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was probably Penny back in the 90's

switchfakie

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2022, 07:12:05 PM »

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2022, 09:57:55 PM »
Expand Quote
BDK has it wrapped up if you ask SLAP.
[close]
not a fan of this nickname. makes me think it’s some new serial killer’s name. then again, looking at bobby dekyzer… maybe it is.

That nickname reminds me more of recent drill music, GDK-BDK

Like he’s about to spin the block or drill an opp
//////////

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2022, 05:13:46 PM »
After re-watching his Blessed part last night I realized Tyshawn is better at skating rails then Mason, Louie, Bobby DK and Marc Zuc combined. Quietly maybe one of the best rail skaters out there right now. That backside tailslide on the green rail that Berle almost nosegrind kf'd is some godlike shit, he's going full speed and slides it from the top. Can't wait to see what Tyshawn is cooking up.

alecjahr

• Rep: -108
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2022, 05:23:58 PM »
Can some one post the interview from the new mag?

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »
After re-watching his Blessed part last night I realized Tyshawn is better at skating rails then Mason, Louie, Bobby DK and Marc Zuc combined. Quietly maybe one of the best rail skaters out there right now. That backside tailslide on the green rail that Berle almost nosegrind kf'd is some godlike shit, he's going full speed and slides it from the top. Can't wait to see what Tyshawn is cooking up.

what rail are you referring to? there is one that i thought berle DID nosegrind nollie flip out and it mightve been green, if my memory isnt failing me.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2022, 06:11:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what rail are you referring to? there is one that i thought berle DID nosegrind nollie flip out and it mightve been green, if my memory isnt failing me.
it is green and he did do it

winecrab

• Rep: -176
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2022, 08:47:11 PM »

Just cuz he bs tailed some tall rail doesn't mean he's a better rail skater than Mason, let alone those 4 dudes combined. Mason's trick on that rail is just as gnarly if not gnarlier and is one of the many fucked up rail tricks in his spitfire part. He's nowhere near one of the best "rail skaters" out right now, that's just silly. It was a sick bs tail though.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2022, 10:38:46 PM »
I'm struggling to remember what Mason did on it, surely better than the nosegrind kf attempts though. I guess I was just blown away re-watching TJ's Blessed and remembering he switch back lip straight over that NYC rail with the curb in front, cab back lip a huge rail, switch back 3 lip. People are on here trying to pretend he's a flatground skater only when he clearly can do whatever on monster rails (and is not even known as a rail skater)

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2022, 03:01:06 AM »
t funk is getting soty

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2022, 07:26:05 AM »
nose grind flip out is way crazier than a back tail... especially on a handrail. tyshawn could probably back tail flip out on it which would be even crazier though. he probably got that back tail first try.
i will say i think that rail is close to ideal steepness for a flip out.
ONTARIO CANADA

dannyprovolone

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2022, 07:31:50 AM »

this is so cringe lol

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2022, 03:33:09 PM »
So 4,57m including the yellow bumps

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2022, 04:44:10 PM »
Tyshawn already snaked a fucking win from Evan Smith. That was the biggest steaming pile of shit ever to me. Evan's MVP performance on KotR was legendary and enough to take it alone.

i thought you were into that

J booz

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2022, 03:34:59 PM »
I don't understand how he gets so much pop out of those scrawny ass legs. Same with Lou lopes. Wish they'd both stop skating in shorts. Its distracting and they look like they're twelve

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »
Tyshawn is insane but what else has he done this year other than the train gap? Just wanna see what I’ve missed

J booz

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2022, 04:15:37 PM »
You must not have a thrasher scrip. He tre flipped over the rail into the death bank at china banks in a thrasher contents page. In the last thrasher he tre flipped that gap to rail in NYC that rad cromer kickflipped for the cover of transworld many moons ago. He also nollie flipped that bump to bar on insta. All so fucked

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2022, 06:44:00 PM »
Tyshawn is insane but what else has he done this year other than the train gap? Just wanna see what I’ve missed
2 parts coming soon

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2022, 06:56:13 PM »
You must not have a thrasher scrip. He tre flipped over the rail into the death bank at china banks in a thrasher contents page. In the last thrasher he tre flipped that gap to rail in NYC that rad cromer kickflipped for the cover of transworld many moons ago. He also nollie flipped that bump to bar on insta. All so fucked
in a sequence in the newest contents page he also nollie 360 flipped over that rail into bank in new york  (maybe new jersey?) that used to get skated a lot. he did it frontside as well which is insane. he posted on his story that the clip got lost though & the spot has been blocked by a building unfortunately.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

pattacakenanny

• Rep: 0
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
in a sequence in the newest contents page he also nollie 360 flipped over that rail into bank in new york  (maybe new jersey?) philly that used to get skated a lot. he did it frontside as well which is insane. he posted on his story that the clip got lost though & the spot has been blocked by a building unfortunately.
rob campbell never dapped u up and it shows

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2022, 07:17:11 PM »
I got nothing, at least no one that has a fighting chance at it. 

Let’s see here… I think Arron herrington’s part in the new polar video is the most enjoyable new part I’ve watched so far this year, pretty sure that’s probably not enough to warrant a push for soty though.

What else impressed me so far this year,?,?, um,,,, that DC SHOES X BRONZE 56K collab video that came out two months ago was pretty decent. I don’t know, nick stain????? that hockey part was amazing and I think it came out sometime during this year, would a single video part, along with a few published skate pics and a magazine ad or two be enough to warrant a chance at soty?? Probably not. who won last year???? or the year before that?, I know tyshawn one a couple a years ago, or maybe that was last year??? It’s obvious that I’m very invested in this and I’ll be anxiously
Waiting for them to announce the winner this year.
//////////

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2022, 07:21:45 PM »
So hyped for a new part. Tyshawn just has that style and pop that puts him on another level. T-Funk is the only other with that much originality. To me, it’s between these two people for soty, they are the two with the fucking insane crazy stand out styles.

No offense to Louie or even Carlos Ribileiro who both blessed it this year as well

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2022, 07:31:38 PM »
So hyped for a new part. Tyshawn just has that style and pop that puts him on another level.
Bingo, Tyshaw reminds me of Reese Forbes in that way(spoken as someone who personally witnessed Resse during his early Pulaski years).

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2022, 07:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
So hyped for a new part. Tyshawn just has that style and pop that puts him on another level.
[close]
Bingo, Tyshaw reminds me of Reese Forbes in that way(spoken as someone who personally witnessed Resse during his early Pulaski years).

Agreed. Tyshawn is one of those guys you have to see skate in person to really appreciate how amazing he is.