Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY  (Read 65595 times)

JRF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 145
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2022, 07:54:54 PM »
If I was head of thrasher and had the power to grant the winner for soty I would give the award to some random no name joe skate kid from the local skate park one year just to watch the people invested in winning loose their minds in frustration… it probably wouldn’t be that funny at all though, it would most likely be really stupid and frustrating to the majority of people who are interested in the contest.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2022, 08:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote
So hyped for a new part. Tyshawn just has that style and pop that puts him on another level.
[close]
Bingo, Tyshaw reminds me of Reese Forbes in that way(spoken as someone who personally witnessed Resse during his early Pulaski years).

Sorry,,

But I’m having a hard time drawing any sort of comparison with Reese Forbes to tyshawn jones. No offense but that comparison makes about as much sense to me as it would to compare rob pulowski with lee Ralph.
//////////

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2022, 08:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So hyped for a new part. Tyshawn just has that style and pop that puts him on another level.
[close]
Bingo, Tyshaw reminds me of Reese Forbes in that way(spoken as someone who personally witnessed Resse during his early Pulaski years).
[close]

Sorry,,

But I’m having a hard time drawing any sort of comparison with Reese Forbes to tyshawn jones. No offense but that comparison makes about as much sense to me as it would to compare rob pulowski with lee Ralph.
He goes fast and jumps over shit. You never really get (or want) skaters continuing directly where others finished but tyshawn and sage are kinda the new Dylan, Austyn, Olson who were kinda the new huf, Forbes.
I don't understand how he gets so much pop out of those scrawny ass legs. Same with Lou lopes. Wish they'd both stop skating in shorts. Its distracting and they look like they're twelve
Muscle twitch vs muscle mass. Stu Graham's prob got some of the biggest legs but he ain't jumping too high.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2022, 08:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sorry,,

The pop and the effortlessness are why I draw the comparison, if you don't get it NBD but I 100% stand by my observation and your rob pulhowski/lee ralph counter observation is silly/over the top(no offense either).  Also Lee Ralph is fucking godhead.  Kind of surprised a street skater dude like yourself doesn't recognize real when they see it.

boogs

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2022, 09:06:56 PM »
FRED GALL

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2022, 10:21:18 PM »
Tyshawn reminds me of Reese Forbes added with Stevies style / tech. I can’t shake the feeling if he was some white kid that rode for anti hero, his skating wouldn’t be as questioned or criticized.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2022, 10:25:24 PM »
Tyshawn reminds me of Reese Forbes added with Stevies style / tech. I can’t shake the feeling if he was some white kid that rode for anti hero, his skating wouldn’t be as questioned or criticized.
Cause he's one of a kind, haters are gonna hate. Fuck it we know him and max palmer are the chosen ones. I doubt TJ cares either.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2022, 11:14:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Tyshawn is insane but what else has he done this year other than the train gap? Just wanna see what I’ve missed
[close]
2 parts coming soon

JRF

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2022, 01:56:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sorry,,

[close]
He goes fast and jumps over shit. You never really get (or want) skaters continuing directly where others finished but tyshawn and sage are kinda the new Dylan, Austyn, Olson who were kinda the new huf, Forbes.
Expand Quote
I don't understand how he gets so much pop out of those scrawny ass legs. Same with Lou lopes. Wish they'd both stop skating in shorts. Its distracting and they look like they're twelve
[close]
Muscle twitch vs muscle mass. Stu Graham's prob got some of the biggest legs but he ain't jumping too high.

White muscle content vs. red muscle content, a topic that’s been discussed over and over again. Some skateboarders learn to use the quick reflex/rebound that white muscle mass provides to pop higher (usually makes your pop technique very light footed and also can leave your tissue and bones vulnerable and easier to tear up tissue or break bone. Red muscle mass can also be used effectively to pop higher, not as much technique behind it, more brute force that can be just as effective increasing pop (though white muscle mass tone is what you want to refine if you want to increase the pop of not just your standard Ollie but all of your flip tricks too. And this is where I see the big difference between Reese Forbes and tyshawn jones. Not to say that Reese dosent have that light footed quick rebound snap but he definitely looks like he uses a lot more upper body red muscle mass to get the job done than tyshawn does. Both of ttyshawn and Reese are fucking beasts on their boards but I just don’t see much of a resemblance. I can’t remember ever seeing Reese grind out an nbd flip in slide trick down a medium size handrail, as for Reese? Well he’s skated spots that can pretty much be designated strictly a“Reese Forbes” spot that not many people are going to have the sheer strength and power to skate the spot the way that Reese does or has in the past. I had the pleasure of getting to watch Reese skate some of those full sized stucco grey colored Picnic tables on flat, pretty amazing seeing him backside lipslide the top of one, something that I would need a good size bank or bump to be able to reach the top of one of those big as tables. A good example to watch and study different types flatground Ollie pop technique is to watch Reese and Danny wainwright in that high Ollie contest from 15 or 17 years ago, both had close to the same pop height but both had two completely different ways of getting there, wainwright having a lot more light footed quick snap and Forbes using more upper body mix with some lower body strength, a little heavier footed than wainwright and in my opinion Reese’s technique and form looked better, but that just my personal take on it.
//////////

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2022, 02:31:22 AM »

You have just described Grant Taylor.
The pant situation is out of control at this point

JRF

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2022, 02:56:24 AM »

Do people actually question and criticize tyshawn’s skating? Why? What the fuck is there to critique? Besides the fact that he too damn good at skateboarding… ok…having anything  negative to say about tyshawn’s skateboarding is far more fucking bizarre and confusing than it is to compare a resemblance to Reese Forbes and tyshawn, I can wrap my head around that concept and see the merit in it. But to criticize anything tyshawn produces on a skateboard is just a flat out stupid interpretation, people need to lay off the glue sniffing.
//////////

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2022, 04:40:31 AM »
No one else can really skate like Tyshawn. Like people can’t really do what he can.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2022, 05:38:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you just naming white dudes? GT is nothing like Tyshawn

TJ is gonna switch back tail up a handrail at some point. He’s gonna put out a part where he does some switch grinds up rails, that’s the new frontier for his skating, you heard it here first

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2022, 05:41:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

TJ is gonna switch back tail up a handrail at some point. He’s gonna put out a part where he does some switch grinds up rails, that’s the new frontier for his skating, you heard it here first
no one will ever switch back tail up a street rail what the fuck are you smoking this isnt thps

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2022, 05:43:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sorry,,

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

White muscle content vs. red muscle content, a topic that’s been discussed over and over again. Some skateboarders learn to use the quick reflex/rebound that white muscle mass provides to pop higher (usually makes your pop technique very light footed and also can leave your tissue and bones vulnerable and easier to tear up tissue or break bone. Red muscle mass can also be used effectively to pop higher, not as much technique behind it, more brute force that can be just as effective increasing pop (though white muscle mass tone is what you want to refine if you want to increase the pop of not just your standard Ollie but all of your flip tricks too. And this is where I see the big difference between Reese Forbes and tyshawn jones. Not to say that Reese dosent have that light footed quick rebound snap but he definitely looks like he uses a lot more upper body red muscle mass to get the job done than tyshawn does. Both of ttyshawn and Reese are fucking beasts on their boards but I just don’t see much of a resemblance. I can’t remember ever seeing Reese grind out an nbd flip in slide trick down a medium size handrail, as for Reese? Well he’s skated spots that can pretty much be designated strictly a“Reese Forbes” spot that not many people are going to have the sheer strength and power to skate the spot the way that Reese does or has in the past. I had the pleasure of getting to watch Reese skate some of those full sized stucco grey colored Picnic tables on flat, pretty amazing seeing him backside lipslide the top of one, something that I would need a good size bank or bump to be able to reach the top of one of those big as tables. A good example to watch and study different types flatground Ollie pop technique is to watch Reese and Danny wainwright in that high Ollie contest from 15 or 17 years ago, both had close to the same pop height but both had two completely different ways of getting there, wainwright having a lot more light footed quick snap and Forbes using more upper body mix with some lower body strength, a little heavier footed than wainwright and in my opinion Reese’s technique and form looked better, but that just my personal take on it.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dannyprovolone

« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2022, 06:09:52 AM »

what a ridiculous thing to say. he won soty

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2022, 06:34:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do people actually question and criticize tyshawn’s skating? Why? What the fuck is there to critique? Besides the fact that he too damn good at skateboarding… ok…having anything  negative to say about tyshawn’s skateboarding is far more fucking bizarre and confusing than it is to compare a resemblance to Reese Forbes and tyshawn, I can wrap my head around that concept and see the merit in it. But to criticize anything tyshawn produces on a skateboard is just a flat out stupid interpretation, people need to lay off the glue sniffing.

You guys should read through more Tyshawn threads on Slap, every time a topic is about TJ there's haters on slap criticizing his character, skating, lack of footage, and it's way more apparent than the amount of criticism other skaters of his skill level receives. It's like people want to discredit him any way they can and it's so obvious.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2022, 06:38:26 AM »
On the thread about the Thrasher cover over in the Photos section, multiple people have expressed some variation of the opinion that "all he does has is pop!"
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2022, 07:11:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

You guys should read through more Tyshawn threads on Slap, every time a topic is about TJ there's haters on slap criticizing his character, skating, lack of footage, and it's way more apparent than the amount of criticism other skaters of his skill level receives. It's like people want to discredit him any way they can and it's so obvious.
[close]

he has the highest accolades in skating, doesnt recieve anything but praise and one guy in a thread saying all he does is pop

but ok

Lol you're being willfully ignorant, his SOTY win was heavily contested and even reading page 1 of this thread you have people who "don't like his attitude" or saying Evan was snaked for SOTY.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114987.0

What about this thread where people were bashing TJ for pouring water on someone who looked homeless, but ended up being a friend who's black?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114561.0

Or this thread calling him out for a lack of footage, and arguing about not respecting the culture that got him his fame and fortune.

Or here where people are calling him a slacker in the first response.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116605.0

That's just after a quick search and off memory, it's very telling that key words like "attitude" "slacker" "ego" is thrown onto him, which are generally words to discredit black people succeeding in different professions.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2022, 07:47:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

he has the highest accolades in skating, doesnt recieve anything but praise and one guy in a thread saying all he does is pop

but ok
[close]

Lol you're being willfully ignorant, his SOTY win was heavily contested and even reading page 1 of this thread you have people who "don't like his attitude" or saying Evan was snaked for SOTY.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114987.0

What about this thread where people were bashing TJ for pouring water on someone who looked homeless, but ended up being a friend who's black?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114561.0

Or this thread calling him out for a lack of footage, and arguing about not respecting the culture that got him his fame and fortune.

Or here where people are calling him a slacker in the first response.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116605.0

That's just after a quick search and off memory, it's very telling that key words like "attitude" "slacker" "ego" is thrown onto him, which are generally words to discredit black people succeeding in different professions.

discrediting black people from succeeding in different professions???

where are you getting that? sounds like a personal issue. TJ been on a path to success since he was a kid.

the people calling him a slacker literally want to see his footy if you read the thread. we are hungry for it!

seen more people shitting on LL recently if anything which is very uncool

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2022, 09:07:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Whoosh.  See below:

On the thread about the Thrasher cover over in the Photos section, multiple people have expressed some variation of the opinion that "all he does has is pop!"

"all GT does is ollies and 5050s!".

The pant situation is out of control at this point

JRF

« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2022, 10:59:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
no one will ever switch back tail up a street rail what the fuck are you smoking this isnt thps

Honestly, I could see tyshawn doing it, a long with plenty of ridiculous shit that dosent seem possible. 10-15 years ago, if you told me that one day someone was going to kickflip an LA school picnic table the long way on flat I would’ve told you to stop smoking crack and that it’ll never happen. Yet here we are, and it looked like it was nothing for him. There are a few mellow street rails out there that could potentially be SS/BS//TS up, like that 3 or 4 stair rail that westgate back smithed up
(I think it’s in San Jose or somewhere in that same Northern California area) I don’t think that it’s completely out of the question and we’re not talking about a switch back tail up the Hollywood high 16.
//////////

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2022, 11:06:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Honestly, I could see tyshawn doing it, a long with plenty of ridiculous shit that dosent seem possible. 10-15 years ago, if you told me that one day someone was going to kickflip an LA school picnic table the long way on flat I would’ve told you to stop smoking crack and that it’ll never happen. Yet here we are, and it looked like it was nothing for him. There are a few mellow street rails out there that could potentially be SS/BS//TS up, like that 3 or 4 stair rail that westgate back smithed up
(I think it’s in San Jose or somewhere in that same Northern California area) I don’t think that it’s completely out of the question and we’re not talking about a switch back tail up the Hollywood high 16.
i get what youre saying man but doing a switch grind up a handrail is not based in reality. sw back board down a rail is super fucking hard even.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1131
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2022, 11:13:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

he did post a few weeks ago asked where some handrails that he could go up are

JRF

« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2022, 11:42:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i get what youre saying man but doing a switch grind up a handrail is not based in reality. sw back board down a rail is super fucking hard even.

I get that, I’m just saying that I don’t think the idea is completely out of the realm of reality, it’s definitely far fetched but there’s a few dudes out there that can pop a switch tail up on ridiculously high ledges, so with the right handrail there’s a few people who pop it high enough to get on it, but finding the momentum to carry the slide up a handrail, even a really mellow one is definitely in the realm of hard to imagine it being possible. But you never know. I’ve seen some really stupid shit over the past 15 years that I never thought would be possible..

Side question- what’s the most amount of stairs that’s been ollied up? I remember seeing a skateboarder magazine cover with someone ollieing up a long 6 or 7 stair set. I can’t remember the name of the person who had the cover, I’ve tried to search to find that skateboarder cover but I can’t find it because I don’t remember the person’s names that did it.
//////////

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »
Don't feel like quoting everybody but yeah he can absolutely do some switch stuff up a mellow 4 - 5 stair, that's what I was picturing. Could absolutely see a sw backtail up a mellow square one. He has the talent, if he went full skate-training for a while where he practiced a lot of switch stuff up skatepark rails I would bet my meager life savings he'd get a switch back tail on an actual rail, the talent is definitely there. There's no point saying certain tricks are impossible anymore

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2022, 12:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I get that, I’m just saying that I don’t think the idea is completely out of the realm of reality, it’s definitely far fetched but there’s a few dudes out there that can pop a switch tail up on ridiculously high ledges, so with the right handrail there’s a few people who pop it high enough to get on it, but finding the momentum to carry the slide up a handrail, even a really mellow one is definitely in the realm of hard to imagine it being possible. But you never know. I’ve seen some really stupid shit over the past 15 years that I never thought would be possible..

Side question- what’s the most amount of stairs that’s been ollied up? I remember seeing a skateboarder magazine cover with someone ollieing up a long 6 or 7 stair set. I can’t remember the name of the person who had the cover, I’ve tried to search to find that skateboarder cover but I can’t find it because I don’t remember the person’s names that did it.
Its gotta be a 9. People go up 6 all the time, I think Brophy 180 up an 7 a real long while back but I guess it's not something people go out their way to do too often. What happened to that Miquel haddox guy? Think he halfcab flipped up a 6 he could def Ollie way higher.
As far as switch back tail up a rail I'm sure there's plenty of rails tyshawn could make it work on. Prob wouldn't look great but he could come out early and prob still clear the top step. Doesn't necessarily have to go all the way up and over the top of the rail.

JRF

« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2022, 12:38:24 PM »
Don't feel like quoting everybody but yeah he can absolutely do some switch stuff up a mellow 4 - 5 stair, that's what I was picturing. Could absolutely see a sw backtail up a mellow square one. He has the talent, if he went full skate-training for a while where he practiced a lot of switch stuff up skatepark rails I would bet my meager life savings he'd get a switch back tail on an actual rail, the talent is definitely there. There's no point saying certain tricks are impossible anymore

I mean yeah, it checks out and it’s not like he’d be defying the laws of physics. And like I said a little earlier, there’s definitely couple of guys out there that can pop a switch backside tailslide up on to ledges over waist high. That’s just so fucking gnarly for me to fathom. Out all the different non flip pop ways to to get your board up on to a ledge a switch back tail just seems to be the most awkward and difficult but there’s dudes that can lock that trick on high ass ledges that I wouldn’t even be able to get my board up into a simple backside nose slide on. In the past 6 or 7 years it seems like shit has gotten absurd..
//////////

JRF

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2022, 12:43:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Its gotta be a 9. People go up 6 all the time, I think Brophy 180 up an 7 a real long while back but I guess it's not something people go out their way to do too often. What happened to that Miquel haddox guy? Think he halfcab flipped up a 6 he could def Ollie way higher.
As far as switch back tail up a rail I'm sure there's plenty of rails tyshawn could make it work on. Prob wouldn't look great but he could come out early and prob still clear the top step. Doesn't necessarily have to go all the way up and over the top of the rail.

That stair set Ollie I was talking about was on the cover of skateboarder magazine quite a few years ago I think, it looked like an east coast spot (outdoor basketball or a city park?) the stairs were long and pretty mellow. I just wish I could remember the guy’s name who did it because I’ve trying to search for the picture of for awhile now, I think some blue painted walls in the background of the photo. Damn! I wish I could remember. Does any of that ring a bell for any of you guys! I gotta figure it out.
//////////

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2022, 01:54:55 PM »
switch crooks up a mellow 4-5 stair is absolutely doable for somebody of his skill level